Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

written in the glove compartment. Or so I thought! Neither that nor the one in the stereo handbooks would do the job, so a 5.5 hour journey, now hitting the evening peak around Brum ensued – grrr! Bloody security – I wouldn’t mind, but it’s a crap stereo anyway that no one would nick, and Ford tell me that have to send it away to be re programmed – for £20! Double Grrr!

Still, other than that, a great weekend. Legs still OK as well – even ran to the station this morning.and home again tonight, though must admit to being a bit sluggish by then!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Wow bus. that fell race sounds tough to me. And a fine time even if it was slightly down on your PB. You are made of stronger stuff than me i think that race would finish me off!

my 1st 800m tonight.  Target sub 2 but as it was first race this season I would be happy with a PB Which is 2.03.51.

Im grouped in a race for people targeting 1.57-59. My plan is to get dragged along and not fall to far off the back.  Gun goes and I'm leading after 150m, come on come past me i remember thinking.  They did and kept on coming past!  I'm now at the back and feel more comfortable. Through 400 in 58/59.  Bang on target.  I lose concentration and relax too much on the bend I fall a bit back but I wake up and push hard in the 500-600m. catching up with the group and taking a few and into 4th and i feel strong. Get to 600m in 89 secs, I'm 1 second down on target.  Balls!   I wind it up and I'm on the shoulders of 4th, into the last 100m, I kick, Into 3rd,  50m I'm struggling but still kicking into 2nd, lactic is taking effect and my form is awful. I'm fighting the pain, it looks like I'm drowning. I have forgotten about the clock and I chase the leader.  I'm closing, closing but in a dip finish he edges it.  2nd place and I'm a bit moody and Im privately seething frustrated &. annoyed I left it too late, though the winner had over 10m lead on me going into the final 100.   In all this petulance I had forgotten to check my time, a look to my coach let me know it was close but he felt confident.  Official time was 1.59.38 a 4.13 second PB.  Yes!   Target achieved.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Brilliant stuff Dean, first one of the year too isn't it! Sub 2, shit the bed!!! ????????

Great report Bus, I know a few who ran Fairfield and they mentioned the heat up there. I also saw the course profile!!! :-/ it really is frustrating when the descending isnt as strong as your climbing, I feel your pain! I've still not ran a lakeland fell race but think I'm going to have to try one.

I've a 5k tonight and going to use it as a marker to hopefully improve on over the summer. Found a training schedule where it looks like I'll be dropping my mileage too.

I've got an entry to christleton but I'm swaying towards doing the 5000 county champs instead on Saturday. It all depends on how shit I am tonight. image
  • Brilliant Dean fantastic run - see you at Christleton ?

• Well done Dean that's a great result. I have a mate whose PB is 1.59 but he can only seem to get within a few seconds of it, and I know how hard he works! 

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Echo (echo echo) what the others have said Dean. Awesome performance. Does make you wonder about the 'less is more' approach. Do you and coach think there's more to come based on the lessons of last year? Will def be interesting to see where you go from here!

Bus - thoroughly enjoyable race report that. You don't have cram a lot into a weekend. besides the race, that bike ride sounds brutal. I'm assuming you tried '0000' or '1234' as the password? image

• Wow, an epic race and report from Bus, with all the content! Especially the stealth brag of Wrynose on a double!

A bit of confusion switching from Bus' target of 1:40 to Dean's group of 1:57-1:59. Finally worked out Dean was working in minutes! Great effort Dean. 4s over that distance is pretty good.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I was just typing epic race and report from Bus, when. Too slow, IC got there first. Even so, that's packing the weekend with activity. 

Dean, that's a real barrier for 800m. There's 2 minute 800m runners and there's sub 2 minute 800m runners. I've heard your fastest 800m race will come after you've raced half a dozen (obviously as part of a series). Epic achievement. Well done!

Session this morning, finishing before 8:00am

5 x 0.5 miles off 2 minute jog recovery, 2:54,2:48,2:51,2:48,2:49.

Couldn't remember if Phil had run 6 x 800m or 5.

I guessed 5. I was wrong.

🙂

• Nice reps Ric.

I did a very easy (recovery) 45mins at 140bpm this morning. Worked out at 06:07/km. An improvement as this is what I was I was doing at 150bpm some weeks back.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Night of the 800m last night then! Well, sort of for me. Session was 10mins threshold, 4x 800m @ 5k; 4x 400m @ 3k, 10 min threshold

10 mins thresh went off fine at 5:35m/m pace.

Short 90s recovery and into 4x800m. Target for reps based on McMillan for 33.15 10k so quite sharp for my current form! 800m target 2.34 off 90s recovery. Actual: 2.34.4, 2.34.2, 2.34.6, 2.35.1 so pretty consistent

3 mins rest and then target for 400m was 74s of 50s recovery. Actual: 71, 74, 75, 74.

3 min recovery and into 10 threshold but legs were dead by now so I aimed to complete 1 mile at threshold instead, which was approx 5.40 so time was slipping from usual pace and I was happy to call it quits there!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Bus, great race report, very evocative!  Sounds like a very tough day, but I guess that's the point of it.  Still a fine performance, and great that your legs held up OK.  The sun at the weekend affected much easier races than yours, so can't be too surprising it made a difference.  I sympathise with your descending woes too, I can't do it for toffee.

Deano, awesome!  That's one of the big thread targets shattered!  Going sub-2 at over 40 is really pretty impressive indeed, and vindicates your concentration on the short track stuff.  Where do you go from here?  1500s or keep trying to push the 800 time down?  I was also impressed how you managed to pull any kind of race report out of it.  For me it was a case of the gun going then "oh, it's over already!".

In answer to your question, I didn't think I had anyone to race in the last 100, but a bloke suddenly shot past me out of nowhere.  Maybe I could have squeezed an extra couple of seconds out.

Good reps Ric, and impressive mishmash session Johnas, looks like it's coming back for you.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Thanks chaps - it was a pretty full on weekend, but also somehow restorative...

Johnas - yep, tried all the obvious codes, even though I have to wait 30 mins between each try now! Tough session that by the way!

Dean - very well done sir! Gripping race report too, and to get 2nd in that group and go sub 2 is simply fantastic!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

cheers chaps, after such a lousy winter over XC it feels good to race well again.   - and reading above lots of good training going on by most.

Rob & Stevie S - Not sure about christleton 5k on friday as i have the 8&1500m double at the country champs on sunday and not sure i will hold up to 4 races in 6 days!  Coach indicated i should drop the 5k as its not what im training for and focus on short stuff.  He is right of course, but christleton is such a good race and really fast course i will regret missing it....so i need to see how i feel tomorrow and make the right decision.

Dachs - after i got back to the rest of the team i was asked what to do next now i hit my summer target... i replied with my body aching i said "retire from track and do a marathon" image    

But some of the times people are throwing at me last night that they think i can achieve are eye opening so i want to have a few more goes at the 800m and see if i can go sub 1.59 or better.  but before the summer is out i want a big 1500m pb so will hopefully have a few goes at that in july and if i get chance to go sub 9 on the 3000 but that is less important to me.  

• Great run there Dean. At 800m the big barriers come in 5 second lumps so the next one is sub 1:55 which will mean you only have to overhaul Anthony Whitemanimage Also I note that is 89.91% WAVA, 90% has to fall soon!

What is your target for 1500m, has to be somewhere close to 4 dead surely.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Ranked 5th V40!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Dean, do you happen to still have the 5K training plan you used last summer?  Seemed to work OK for you, and I fancy using a 5K as the focus of my speedwork over the coming months.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

DeanR7 wrote (see)
    dean richardson 7 wrote (see)

5k plan for 7 weeks

Mondays - 6m recovery pace

tuesday - Long rep tracks details below

wednesday - 10m easy

thursday - short rep track details below

friday - Rest

Sat - 7 miles steady/tempo mix

Sun - 10m LSR

track sessions tuesday at target race pace, thursdays at 1 mile race pace.

wk1 tues 6*800+200 with 400m rec   -  thurs 12*400+200 with 100m rec

wk2 tues 5*1k with 1k rec   -  thurs 16*200 with 1min rec (lower distance as i have a 5k road relay race on the weekend)

wk3 tues 3*1mile with 1mile rec   -  16*200 with 1min rec (lower distance as i have a 3k race on the weekend)

wk4 tues 6*800+200 with 200m rec   -  thurs 12*400+200 with 1min rec

wk5 tues Rest as i have 1500m race on wedn -  thurs 20*200 with 1min rec

wk6 tues 5*1k with 400m rec   -  thurs 25*200 with 1min rec

wk7 tues 8*400 with 1min rec  then RACE on Friday!!!

appreciate any feedback on this as im prepared to tailor it

From page 833 a few alterations along the way... my Wednesday runs were 6m and didn't do to many tempo pace on

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Cheers Dean - the principle of the long intervals being to do 5K of volume at target 5K pace with recoveries getting shorter/reps getting longer as you approach the race?

I see Samir has managed to get his thread removed.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I wondered what haddad happened to that.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Samir technicality I'm sure....

Had to squeeze in some speed work this evening as I had meetings at lunch today and was on general taxi duty tonight, so tried a new session (to me) of 2 mins hard/1 min easy. Only 5 reps, but reasonably happy with the pace given it was on grass and my legs aint exactly fresh!  5:35, 5:37, 5:36, 5:35, 5:30. I quite liked the way this session kept things moving, so will definitely do it again, but with more reps, possibly 2 sets of 5.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Nice work Bus, especially after the big racing and training weekend, or holiday as the wife calls it.image 

i found a plan online Dachs but it was 12 weeks long! Way too long for 5k training in my eyes. 

i raced a 5k tonight which I'd heard to be very fast. its a 3 race series and unfortunately missed the first 2 which were won in around 15.30-15.50. The plan was to try and stick with the series leader and see what came of it. In hindsight I was looking to break 16 and would've been disappointed not too as the 10k volume sessions I've been doing must surely have helped. Just had to move a bit faster for half the distance. :-/ 

horn goes and a fast flat 800m turns into a sharp downhill. Look at my watch and I'm 4.45 miling and in about 20th place! I knew a few faces and the front 3 were well clear and I was soon off the back of a pack of around 5/6 people after the first mile which came on at 5 mins on the dot. Bit of an undulating route lead to a dead turn at a cone where I'd now moved up to 4th. 

the leader had gone straight past the cone and ran 20yards or so further on and the Marshall stood there and the lads in 2nd and 3rd didn't seem to say anything. I could be wrong. He wasn't happy and so by this point I was 10or so yards behind him with the front two about 40 yard ahead. Thought to myself if I can stay close to this fella then I won't go far wrong. 

Back along the road and up the hill we first descended. Bit by bit we were closing on the front 2. We then hit a long flat bit and I tried to press on to make sure I didn't lose any time. Think mile 2 was in 5.10. There's then a short sharp descent then a gradual drop towards the finish which is about 500m long. The lad in front of me had gradually clawed them back and took the win and I just kept pushing and although I clawed som e time on them I wasn't able to get them. Ended up 4th in 15.38 I think. image

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Well done Matt - very nice evening's outing that, and a great time, well inside 16 image

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

the course has a net downhill. I did wonder as you run past the start before dropping to the finish.  Looking on Po10 it has to be less than 5m per km to register on there which it does. I'm not complaining. Makes up for the parkruns I do which are a net uphill and also my 5 mile PB on a net uphill course. 

rough with the smooth. image 

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Ying and yang Matt!

Just looked at my splits again from Saturday compared to 2007 - my splits at the top of Fairfiled and Dove Crag were within 4 seconds! Pretty remarkable really, but shows I lost all the time on the way down. Must have been braver 7 years ago!

I lost 5 lbs over the weekend too!

• Great race Matt. For a 5km plan you could look at FIRST. Run easy when it says x-train,  and use mcmillan's paces instead of First. Else try Hal Higdon's advanced plan. 

How are the legs Bus,  still trouble free afterwards? 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Great racing there Matt. I attempt to run at that pace but very quickly the impact and lactic acid steal all the life from my lower legs, just go dead flat. From there I'm forced to used the bigger quad muscles for propulsion and that's even worse.

Heart rate goes through the roof and everything ties up. Fighting pain is a waste of time since I'm going slower anyway. This is what being limited means.

Personally if race speed was down to technical analysis and application, I would say that IC would probably emerge on top. Being really fast is mostly about genetics, how much someone can extract from those genetics is open to question.

Best example I can think of, Steve Ovett. Had the talent and the work ethic.

Actually he was a sprinter but asked to train with the middle distance lads since the sprinters didn't train as much as he wanted to.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

So far so good Iron - a little tired, but no aches or pains remarkably!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

great race Matt and a real pick up after the recent 10k disappointment.  you are only 3 secs behind my 5k pb now and as im not running christleton i probably wont run a 5k this yr so i fancy you to smash my pb out of the water... sooner rather than later.

Philip - not sure what to target my 1500m at.  macmillan says 4.05 but i would be happy with sub 4.10 and take it on from there (which would be a 5 sec pb)

• RicF wrote (see)

Personally if race speed was down to technical analysis and application, I would say that IC would probably emerge on top.

Shame it doesn't work like that in reality! image

Actually, I think I understand and could implement what it takes to improve on both the bike and run separately, but always seem to come unstuck putting the two together - probably too much intensity and too little recovery across both. Hence I've subcontracted all that out now.

Like SG and others here, I just do as I'm told now. image

The Bus wrote (see)

So far so good Iron - a little tired, but no aches or pains remarkably!

Good stuff. Related to fell racing (this was my belated question from Jan that never got asked!) I am doing a challenge with work that involves 'climbing' Corn Du, Pen-y-fan & Cribyn as part of the Brecon Beacons Horseshoe Walk.

We need to be equipped with walking shoes or "fell shoes" so I am assuming some Innov8s would do? I'm not spending money on Boots I'd only use once. Fell runners I could use again.

Any recommendations?

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Dean, if you lined up fresh and ran a one off 400m. What do you think you might get?

My sources define 52 seconds as the mark of an athlete possessing natural speed.

Mind you, reading between the lines I got the impression the writer/coach wouldn't bother with any runner who couldn't do it.

🙂