Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Some great racing going on I see! 

Bus, I need to learn to dig as deep as you obviously can with regards to the wrenching. image reminds me of what all the elite runners say about Dave Norman and his ability wretch, scream, huff and howl his way towards the finish line. Obviously shows a real determination to dig that bit extra out. 

21secs is a big chunk Iron. Nice work. Keep plugging away towards that PB.

cracking run Phil and nice to see you've ticked off your target early on. You make it sound easy to bank some time in a 5k!image 

congrats on the 10k Johnas. After your pointers from the other month it seems I've dipped off the tempos etc. last weeks fell race counts I suppose and looking at doing a 10k this Sunday. No real targets time really it just going to race it. Just been enjoying running some easy miles the last few days since Thursdays track session. 10 on Friday, 15 sat, 10 sun and 14 today. Going to go the track tomorrow for a tempo run.

• I guess the WAVA delta is due to different WRs Phil?

Cracking 10k time Johnas and good place hunting at the end.

I knew that photo would catch me out!  image That was about 1.5km before everything fell apart. More intervals this week and a C-race 10km on Sunday should help with the overall plan; definitely needs a pacing strategy or I'll blow up at 5km like last time image

I'm seeing some good results from HR training.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Lots of good racing chaps.

standard outing for bus - tough course, a wretch and high place finish.  Great work. 

Philip, Iron and johnas racing yourselves back to fitness.  All looking good with Philip taking a huge chunk off his season best 5k.  Must be getting close to picking a target race and blasting it.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

image not as high a place as it should have been though Dean!

Matt - given your times and results I'd say you can dig pretty deep!

Johnas - maybe not where you want to be 10k wise, but a damn good result nontheless! That gap will soon be closed once your quality training time is more than your recent injury time.

Ric - don't tell UKIP about that migrant butterfly image

Interestingly,one of my main local off-road rivals who only races off-road and beats me more often than not turns V50 this year. Even more interestingly he only runs twice a week, with no other sport. His usual week is an 11 and a 15M both off-road, with no speed sessions but races a fair bit and that's it. He has a fairly active job, and weighs just 8.5 stone, so maybe that's the secret! Less is more perhaps, in more ways than one!

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Has that always been his training though Bus or has he eased off to keep injury at bay? Before I started taking running seriously (the training etc) I'd run a 10k loop as hard as possible, maybe once a week sometimes less. If I was playing a lot of football that'd be my only run for the week. I managed to get it down to 36.16 and it's quite hilly. That was the reason I first entered a race. I bet I couldn't get within 2 minutes of that now with all the extra miles.

I bet I was nearly 2 stone heavier then too.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

The body is only as strong as it needs to be. The chap on two runs a week and the odd race is as strong as he's ever going to be, on current training.

You can load up and up and keep piling in miles and miles with no let up and you'll get to a level, then plateau, then go flat, then downhill in a knackered sort of way.

Its like being given a working week of 40, 50, 60, 70, 80 hours plus. You can keep it up for while, some (me) can't and (in employment days, refused point blank) some can, and some seem to thrive on it.

But mostly it doesn't work which is why an average working week is what it is.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

That's what he has always done Matt. I know it wouldn't work for me though, as I'd put on loads of weight! Ithink for most people a higher mileage is needed to get to that level, but Ric, you are right about most people not being able to keep up big mileages week in, week out without it being counter productive.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

In a very early book written by Coe & Co, there was a training schedule covering a mere 6 weeks (or was it only 4?) which was designed to move the runner on to another level.

It was based on the 'athlete' running just basic maintenance training leading up to the start of the plan. So well rested.

The plan itself appeared to be extreme. In fact I couldn't see how anyone could keep it up, but that was the point. You didn't have to.

At the end of the plan, the idea was to halve everything which was enough to maintain the gains from the plan.

Big mileages, even small mileages stop working for a training effect once the body gets used to it (about 6 weeks worth) I suspect most of it simply serves as weight loss.

Most marathon runners would gain more by holding back on the long runs and then once in a while bung in a really long one. The body only needs a hint that you might (just might) do it again, so it adapts to cover the move.

If you keep doing it, the body simply calls it quits, goes into a sulk and refuses to adapt anymore. You would too at work if the boss now expects a routine 80 hour week.

🙂

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Hello all

Been away in the Mecklenburg lakes area of Germany for a week, so just read back.  Did some running, not as much as I should have, but tried to keep the quality at least.  I find it hard to do it when I’m out of routine.  Good birdlife for my geeky side - storks, cranes, kites, woodpeckers, and in one memorable 5 minute spell over a small lake, a marsh harrier, osprey and white tailed eagle.  No idea about butterflies though.

Ric, my legs are disgustingly hairy, but I’ve never been gotten by a tick either.  Both my brothers were on holidays etc, but they were never interested in my blood.  Too strong for ‘em, I reckon.  Lightweights.

Iron – good stuff – reps next to Notre Dame!  Last time I was round there I could hardly walk at any pace.

Rob – 15:45! Crikey Moses!  Excellent reward for consistent work.

Sorry you weren’t pleased with the 10K Ric.  For what it’s worth, I don’t reckon that course is the fastest.  The only time I ran it, I felt like I was flying and was surprised by how slow it came out.

Nice pot hunting Matt, a very worthwhile prize!

Sorry to hear that things didn’t go to plan Dean.  Hope you’ve shaken off the illness by now.

Glad you’re pleased with the performance Johnas, things moving in the right direction despite losing the beard.

Good hill racing Bus, seems cruel to keep changing the course like that, but to be fair it probably squeezed a better time out of you.  As well as all the other stuff it clearly squeezed out of you.

Great to hear PMJ went sub 18 on the track, nice work.  Re Samir at the Last Friday 5k, he clearly believed he could enter on the day.  Hadn’t learned from that particular mistake previously.

I was considering Wargrave this weekend too, but I seem to still be in shite form, so I’m not interested in an undulating 10K.  Vets League on the track the following day (1500/5000), so I shall save myself for that.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Welcome back Dachs. Sounds like a nice trip away.

Coombe Hill results are out today and confirm that, despite the puking and losing 4 places right at the end, it was still a good result and indicates I'm starting to get back on track. The guy who finished two places in front of me has already done a sub 36 10k and a sub 78 half this year and he finished a good 90 secs in front of me at the Beaconsfield 5 trail race a few weks ago. Can't read too much into this I know, but I'll take it as a positive!

• Summer League - Dulwich Park - Sun 01 June 2014

We enjoyed warm and sunny conditions at Dulwich Park on Sunday, where we competed in the first of this year’s five Summer League fixtures. Full results and times have yet to be published, but the club claimed second place in both the men’s and women’s race across the 5 mile course, and finished third in the men’s relay. The photo shows, from left to right: Team Manager Pete Drew, Raj Kumar, Samir Haddad, Santosh Rai, Steve Elson, Darren Halford, Tom Yates.

New member Samir was one of three athletes exchanging the lead throughout the race – including former ESM-er Mo Ismail, now running for Serpentine. This was whittled down to two as Mo was dropped, and Samir looked to have the race sewn up until the more experienced Rick Weston of Serpentine upped the pace and outsprinted him to the line. But it was a great debut for Samir. Steve Elson, back from an Achilles injury, also finished in the top ten for the club.  The pair were backed up by the dependable Tom Yates in 25th, seemingly unfazed by a swift cycle ride from Ealing down to Dulwich in the company of keen cyclist Ian McNally. (Ian's race was sadly scuppered by shin splints). The next three men home were all improving athletes: Raj Kumar (32nd) just lost out to Santosh Rai (33rd) in the last half mile. M40 Darren Halford (44th) led the charge of the veterans, having tracked Fiona Kennedy throughout the race. Editor’s note: I think I was unofficial pacemaker for one or two other men in the race, I’ll be charging a fee next time! James O’Neill and George Davidson, both recent entrants to the M55 category, placed 68th and 92nd. M50 Gary Stringer was 138th, followed by three venerable M65s. Bob Stanbrook (180th) and Laurence Messer (181st) crossed the line almost together, while Dave Wiseman completed the line-up in 195th.

ESM also took second in the women’s race, in the shape of W55 Fiona Kennedy, who finished 40th overall. W45 Claudia Manera (66th overall) was also in the top ten of the women’s race; having made a cautious start, she overhauled clubmate James in the second half of the race. W45 Jane Ruhland made a solid return to racing after an injury-stricken six months, while Beverley Packwood (148th overall) and W65 Dorothy Johnstone (207th overall) completed the women’s team.

In the shorter races, Josie Hartfiel made a rare appearance in Ealing strip to tackle the one mile Tenderfoot race, while seven-year-old Newa Rai and younger sister Hangme made their competitive debut in the Fun Run.

The relays which concluded the event were the usual competitive affair, and the men’s team took third spot in a hard-fought battle. Samir Haddad led off but finished second to his rival from Ealing Eagles. Raj Kumar was able to take the lead on leg two, and this was held by Santosh Rai, Tom Yates and Steve Elson. Darren Halford faced some very tough opposition in the sixth and final leg and lost two places, but the squad were justifiably pleased with their efforts. 

Many thanks to Pete Drew for helping Fiona with the Team Manager duties, and for collecting the 2013 awards on behalf of those members not present on the day. Many pockets were required in that respect - though fortunately one went round Pete's own neck - so let’s aim for a bigger turnout at the next fixture, which is at Headstone Park in Harrow on June 15th.Summer League - Dulwich Park - Sun 01 June 2014

• He's back image

Sounds like some good running
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Oh, hello Samir. For a moment I thought you'd written that yourself and was impressed with your new-found proofreading skills. Well done. But why are you wearing a t-shirt under your vest?

• I'm only gonner post about races because I don't want to take over stevie's thread and I know runners world have banned me lol.

Sorry for not winning. The guy seriously impressed me with his sprint finish. I should have left him at the 4.5 mile mark as I was looking a lot better then him but I played it safe until the end thinking I would beat him on the sprint easily. Was very wrong and the experience did pay off in the end for him. I wouldn't say I got pushed along as I led for 80% of the time. Other 19% I was running beside either Rick or Mo. Other 1% was at the finish line where it really mattered :/

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Dachs wrote (see)

Glad you’re pleased with the performance Johnas, things moving in the right direction despite losing the beard.

I think it is because of the beard. He must have shaved off (see what I did there?) about 5lb in weight.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

But Samir, I thought you had the fastest sprint finish in the world?

• This is where you will learn in races Samir - clearly looking at his po10 he is a far better athlete than you at the moment, maybe his tactics were to hang behind you and let you wear yourself down.. Obviously you wouldn't know how good he is unless you recognise him etc but as said, experience and racing doesn't mean leading all the way...

A solid run vs good opposition though and a good result, and obviously recent training is coming along nicely

Stick at it!
  • And yes, remove the t-shirt. It looks rather silly image
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

welcome samir and dont worry about taking over this thread because as long as you are talking about running and not the other stuff it will give this thread a boost.

3 things came to mind samir. 2 of which lit has got in already.

• what time did you get?
    • when other people in that race are in sunglasses why the need for a tshirt under the vest....is it because you didnt want anyone to see your Scott tattoo?  or have you copied one of dachs plate designs?
    • what happened at the finish...i mean nobody can outsprint you...nobody...period

• These are the times. I think I'm a little out but close:

Rick Weston - 26:38

Samir Haddad - 26:40

Mohammed Ismail - 27:00

Lit, the Reading Half put me off wearing just a vest. Despite being injured, I felt very weak running on the road. I think that's why I liked the italia top so much.

Cheers Scott, most enjoyable race to date. Downhill was more unpleasent then up. I was not happy with my speed throughout the race and was question why I was leading so much. If I hadn't had been in a race with a watch I would have given that performance 29 minutes.

I lost in the relays by someone who only turned up only for that and never did the 5 miler before. I came 2nd out of about 5 and lost by about 3 seconds so kinda helped the team there but never happy until I win.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

if it was correctly measured at 5mile then that time is excellent Samir. 

that rick chap has a 2.36 marathon and a 1.59.9 800m this year so whatever race tactics you would have used he would have won.  so dont beat yourself up about not winning.

• Dean, basically I can't always reach my top speed in the sprint finish for some reason. It all depends on how I start my sprint finish and I started it wrong. My f'ed up sprint finish had really long strides so now one of my coaches is convinced I am a middle distance runner. Now I am training with the middle distance runners at my club tonight and i've heard that their very fast. Rick admitted that I could have beaten him in that race had I chose to of left him up the hill at 4.5 miles but I thought I had the race won. His breathing sounded terrible going up that hill so I don't know where he got that sprint from. If I had gotton beaten at my top speed then that would have pisssed me off most because that reassures me alot

• Thanks Dean, I think his stamina is there but he has tendencies to give up during the race. Even Mo had to encourage him twice throughout the race to make sure he kept going because he did have the potential to. He ran an excellent race in the end.

I never ran better at my hill session last night. I almost lapped 2nd place and was running like a kipsang.

I think my next race is a 3k track race but I'm not sure on the date.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

it will be interesting to see what you can do at a 3000....off the back of that 5m it might be mid-low 9.  which would be a great debut.

good to see you going well

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Well done Samir.  That's a fantastic time for 5 miles, and those two runners are very good benchmarks to be going up against.  Looks like things are really coming together.  Also good to see you racing twice in a day for the good of a club, you selfless chappie you.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

What the hell? Turn my back for 5 minutes image

Very good time that Samir.

• Samir chap one thing though..

How are your reps you ran only 2-3 weeks ago ran a fair amount slower (and less volume with recoveries ) slower than this 5 mile race in one?

I need to be able to do that!!

3km track will be good for you. Say this was legit 5 mile that's 5:20 pace so id be inclined to say sub 5m/m pace surely??

Your 5km PB suggest 9:20ish but if things have improved recently then say 16:00 5km gives 9:06...

Will be interesting to see what you can produce
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Sogswash wrote (see)
    Samir chap one thing though..

How are your reps you ran only 2-3 weeks ago ran a fair amount slower (and less volume with recoveries ) slower than this 5 mile race in one?

Well, he always said he ran faster in races...

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Dammit!

The one Summer League I decide to ditch and S.H turns up. Actually suggested he might, but only gave the possibility about 5%.

26:40!

I once did 26:49 through the first 5 miles of the Cabbage Patch (downhill) so lets not muck about. Samir can run. Lose the t-shirt and that's another few seconds per mile.

I'll be at Headstone Manor though.

Samir, its a crap course, I should know, it was me that designed it. The club had to come up with a solution to all the traffic problems and I came up with a three lap course which unfortunately involves 27 (no less) right angled changes of direction.

Practice your cornering, it'll pay off. Also, the only opposition will be the UK 2nd ranked V50. Not me. He be looking at a sub 34 minute 10k having set the record on the course of 33:20 (how?).

Dachs, I had no idea you were also a 'birder'. My British list may only be into the 300's but had all of those birds on it.

The last Marsh Harrier and Osprey I had were over Stockers Lake in Rickmansworth.

As for the White Tailed Eagle. Had one on the Isle of Sheppey and discovered the only other 'twitcher' was also a runner. Spent a couple of hours looking at the bird and talking running.

🙂

• Yep Samir, heading in the right direction. That 5 mile is worth over 80% WAVA. That means 5k should be close to 16 dead. The 3k will show what you really are: if you are longer distance guy then 9 will be hard to hit, if you are close to 9 or sub 9 then you are a speed merchant and need to look harder at the shorter distances.