Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Matt, hope the foot gets better soon.

As a pre school kid I used to stand in the road outside my parents house and shout something my grand father used to say. My mother never stopped me, or anyone else. Caused some sort of argument with granddad.

As things stood, it felt good repeating loudly, "bugger, bugger, bugger, bugger, bugger, bugger, bugger, bugger, bugger, bugger!"

All good clean fun for a four year old.

🙂

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Easy 30 mins today - good bit slower than other runs this week due to the bloody wind!!  7:46/mile.  Legs still feeling good though despite the increased volume/intensity.  Just hope the wind dies down a bit before I'm out trying to run 1k intervals next week!

PMJ - I haven't raced many 10k yet and were all in May/June last year.  I did 6 races in 7 weeks April-June - 3 were road 10k and 1 track.  The "A" race was going to be the last of the bunch which was road 10k.  First race was 40:18 and I was totally on my own for the entire race.  Second one was a much busier affair and I knocked out 40:04.  I did an HM the following week, then the week after did the track 10k.  Just targeting a time per lap seemed to work for me.  Definitely a solo time trial - came out at 39:43.  A week later was supposed to be the A race and I was sure I was going to beat the track time but it turned out to be ridiculously hot in Fraserburgh (that happens about once every 30 years) and my time was 40:22.  I beat some sub 40 runners though, including a sub 38 guy from my club.  On another day, I think the time that day would have beaten the track time.  Next attempt at a road 10k will be a few weeks before Edinburgh marathon and I expect/hope to smash that 39:43.

Bus - I haven't properly trained through the winter until this year.  I now realise that winter training up here is a nightmare!  Head torch and much warmer running gear has now been purchased image

Matt - not following a plan as such.  My coach sets my fortnightly schedules for me.  He's a forumite, but not sure if it's public that he's a coach yet, so I'll let him name himself rather than me name him...  I did Edinburgh HM in 2009 woefully undertrained and trundled round in 1:54:xx.  I did the full thing in 2012 as woefully undertrained (makes me shudder thinking about it) and finished in 4:48:xx... I did manage a slight improvement later in 2012 at Loch Ness in 4:24:xx.  I classed training as cheating back then.

SC2 - cheers!

My 2 year old daughter talks a LOT.  Non-stop most of the time.  At the in-laws last week my mother-in-law was shouting on my wife to come and help her.  Our daughter then proceeded to shout "Gillian, Gillian!" for about 2 days after that.

• Oh, I thought everyone knew who your coach was. image

Bus - the good thing about it being dark all the time is that there's no real difference between training at 6:15am and 8am.

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Maybe they do.  I sort of thought that nobody would remember my sporadic posts from a year ago and he was only sort of giving me a bit of advice back then...  I'm sure he won't care but just in case, I'll just call him "my coach".  

• Haha, lucky I didn't post what I was going to before, then, which was 'that easy pace sounds a bit fast to me but if (insert name of coach) thinks it's okay then it must be'!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

When my lad was a toddler he said next to nothing, hardly a tear, never a protest, never asked for anything. 

I'm dad, not Richard. The kid has only one dad, its dad.

Maybe I made the rules of engagement clear with the lad. I'll listen to what he had to say, but I win. No negotiation. No arguing. I win. I'll agree to this and that but I've the casting vote.

I'll not be dictated to by a kid. If my kid had sought back up from mum to get his way, they'd both cop it. I win.

🙂

• Afternoon all, hello de-lurkers.

Achilles is feeling ok, I managed to do 50 mins on the bike yesterday and I can now raise to tiptoes without pain.

I've been doing eccentric exercises, foam rolling the calves, stretching the hamstrings and quads. Also my piriformis is a mess so I have been sitting on a tennis ball, it's bloody agony. Done about three sessions of it and still not getting it released properly, but I'll get there.

It's amazing when you're busy running and you don't pay attention to all the damage you're causing all over the place. I am now going to put a couple of sessions a week of taking care of all this stuff.

Still nervous about trying to run. I don't think I have tendinitis, there's no obvious swelling, or evidence of scarring. No nodules or anything. Will delay running a bit longer maybe try a bit of skipping first, if I can find some rope somewhere.

Who else tends to make time specifically for strength training, stretching, foam rolling and other bits of maintenance?

• Andrew, I think you should get a decent sports massage - if your piriformis is very tight too it sounds like what happened to me the first time I increased my mileage to train for a marathon - achilles pain stopping me running but it was actually just referred pain from tight glutes. Getting a giant Cuban man to grind his elbow around in there fixed it instantly and was well worth the 40 quid.

• On the child subject, I made the mistake of shouting wasssuppp to my 22 month old daughter the other day. I think it was from a cretinous Budweiser advert or something, but it's strangely addictive. Anyway she has taken to it and now shouts it all the time! 

• Good advice Lit. I should get someone to do it, although not a giant Cuban man. I am pretty good at self massage, but its hard to relax the muscle and let the ball in, so to speak.

• My MLR at lunchtime, 11 at 7:22 looks a bit flat alongside bus' run. Pace worked out nicely on paper with the first 5 or so at 7:39 and the last 5 or so 7:15 but it was more due to uphill / headwind and downhill / tailwind combos rather than any deliberate change in pace.

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

PMJ - that's a long lunch hour...!

I'm thankfully no longer restricted to 1 hour due to my self employed / working from home status.  I quite gleefully run for 90 minutes during the day sometimes these days.

EDIT: FFS - I see RW haven't sorted the issue of threads being unfollowed every single time you post in that thread.  Why would me posting in a thread suggesting that I want to unfollow the thread??

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

That's been happening for years now CC! I get emails from all the threads I don't want and none from the ones I do!

Philip - sounds a very similar format to my run - but yours is quicker! 

Sounds like you are on the mend Andrew - fingers crossed.

Lit - does he have to be Cuban? They will be more expensive now USA have brought them in from the cold!

Ric - is that what you expect from us too image

Glad I'm not running tonight - VERY, VERY windy here!

• I have not tried it with a non-Cuban masseur but I suppose it could work.

You know when I'm glad I'm not running? Scottish inter-district xc tomorrow lunchtime (same event as Great Edinburgh xc). Looking at the start list it seems I was in danger of qualifying, but missed out by a few seconds so instead I will be curled up in front of an open fire with the weekend papers and a big pot of tea while the other poor suckers are toiling through the gale force winds and snow. image

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Hey, it'd be fun!! I've got to watch the Hobbit tomorrow!

• Good news then AG, we'll miss you on Sunday though. There is a trainee sports masseuse in the club who does work FOC.

My kids have been parroting bad words since an early age, even when they didn't understand things. I remember moaning about getting dressed up for dinner and my daughter spending the next 10 minutes shouting "bloody dinner! bloody dinner!".

Nowadays she is more likely to respond to a request to tidy her room with "yeah? you want a piece of me?". She's 8 image

• The Bus wrote (see)

Hey, it'd be fun!! I've got to watch the Hobbit tomorrow!

The 3rd one? I'll watch it on a plane one day.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Bus, I had to read back.

I should mention there's a guy down my road around my own age who has these monumental arguments; which you can tell he doesn't think he can win, with his two little girls aged about six and four.

Its pathetic. Its obvious the kids believe they have equal standing at worst and with their mother backing them up, always getting their way.

These kids just ramp up the volume until he gives up. They rule the roost and its bedlam. 

Kids and dogs attempting to dictate to me. They won't do that again.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Yep. I nearly ended up having to watch all three (first 2 at home) but luckily my son got himself a TV ban for the weekend!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

welcome CC82, although I'm sure there's a poster on this forum who has a very similar username, although she adds Speedy Goth on the end!

I thought I had something else to write then, but it's gone. 7 days no run completed.

I'll run tomorrow though, so hopefully it gets back to normal and I can forget a pathetic week!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    The conversation has well and truly moved on now, but my (then) 5 year old once called me a "silly honky", which I thought was a bit racist.
  • IronCat5 wrote (see)

Good news then AG, we'll miss you on Sunday though. There is a trainee sports masseuse in the club who does work FOC.

Is she Cuban, or is it Sue?

• Andrew G wrote (see)
    IronCat5 wrote (see)

Good news then AG, we'll miss you on Sunday though. There is a trainee sports masseuse in the club who does work FOC.

Definitely not Cuban!

SG's welcome blows my guess of CC82's coach out the water, unless it is distraction...

• Don't be silly, IronCat, SG doesn't let me do my easy runs that fast. image

• Andrew G wrote (see)
    IronCat5 wrote (see)

literatin wrote (see)

Don't be silly, IronCat, SG doesn't let me do my easy runs that fast. image

image And so he shouldn't!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Had a leaf through the figures.

5k and half pbs, match perfectly. 10k is really fat.

Sessions were paced perfectly to the second.

Easy pace, bizarrely miles too fast.

Does your coach set the zone, or just say "easy".

I'd be more inclined to start your easy pace near where you currently have it ending!

Reminds me of McMillan, that always seemed to give easy zones at least 30seconds too fast!

Still, it is all about opinions, but for comparison, I set Lit's easy zone starting at 7.30, and she's 5mins quicker over half marathon

• McMillan's recovery pace should be labelled easy.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

It's no secret I coach CC82. He's one of about 8 people I currently coach as well as being lead coach at my club.

CC does run his easy runs too fast... currently. But I'm not bothered. Our target was always to set some decent PBs over the summer which we did. Then came his holidays, an operation  and then a lay off due to illness. So with all that and marathon training on the horizon, we've sat back for the last couple of months and just built a good foundation.

Without lots of fatigue and big sessions in his legs, understandably his running looks real pretty. It just shows me though that he's in a good place for the hard work to start. It'll soon settle back where it should be image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ahh should have picked up on the clues Johnas,

the mins at pace rather than distance, and threshold work!.

Had your mark all over it image

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

it was pretty obvious!

nice 10 miler on the track for me today with 6x 1k (90) in the middle. Did 5x 1k (90) just before Christmas and averaged 3.22 per km. Today, with an extra rep, averaged 3.16 per km. Love seeing improvements