Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    The not so secret is out - great, wasn't sure if it was like Fight Club or not.

Anyway - I'm running those easy runs in the zone that Johnas told me was my easy zone. I've even slowed down a couple of times to make sure I'm still within the zone. I always run the easy runs according to how I'm feeling and there's not been much hard work over the past month so my legs are quite fresh just now. I suspect with a few weeks of 50+ miles and more of those lovely threshold sessions I'll be 8 min miling again in no time...
  • CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    By the way - totally off topic but I was flicking through this thread last night and showed my wife the comment by Dachs that referenced Chock a Block. She now loves Dachs - he's about the second other person in the world that remembers that programme from when we were kids. Dachs - are you available for a date with my wife to speak about Chock a Block and maybe even, I don't know... Watch some YouTube clips of the show...?

(Until she showed me it on YouTube I was convinced she's made the whole thing up)
  • JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

if the 82 in your name references your birth year CC, then i'm not surprised you don't remember.

However half the thread may not remember it as they were of drinking age when it was onimage

• I remember choclablock, being a child of the late 70s. Fond memories of Brian Cant driving around in a small car thing. I can still remember the theme tune.
  • CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    I married an older woman (she was born 4 months before me). According to the Internet it was first shown in 81 and was on TV until 89 I think. She was watching TV in the same era as me so why does she know it? She's also got a shit memory so it's all the more bizarre.
  • I don't remember it. It must have been on my mother's 'you can't watch that, it's shit' list.

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    Or you could be normal, like me.
  • Along with brightly coloured Monster Munch. I was never allowed that
  • I wasn't allowed to watch Grange Hill. 

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Scotland seems like a long way to go to talk about Chockablock, but its a very kind offer. I also remember the theme tune.

The one programme I go on about that no-one I talk to ever believes existed was an episode of Bergerac when an infected monkey bit a man on the cock.
  • CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    You're exactly the sort of guy I imagine would remember Chockablock
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I'd make a shit detective as I didnt have a clue you were coaching Johnas, I was under the impression that you was being coached.

Am I the youngest on the thread at 30 years old?
  • CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    I'm 33 in March so you beat me.

Rest day for me today. 90 mins easy tomorrow. Hoping the wind dies down a bit...
  • Scott is younger than that, Matt.

• CC82 wrote (see)

PMJ - that's a long lunch hour...!

I am lucky as I work long hours and am something of a director in the company I work for so can set my own rules to some degree. I am in the office by 7 to talk to Japan and China and will often be on calls to the US west coast 14 hours later. My lunch break can run 12 to 2 (2 is 9 US East Coast and a popular meeting time) so in 2 hours I can do up to 13 miles and change and shower either end (that is change twice and shower once).

• I'm only a semi reg though Lit image

I turned 26 in November..

Lots to catch back on last few days! Giggling to myself about the little ones picking up words, surprising how easy it is when we blurt stuff out without thinking sometime

Mines come out with some real gems!

A good run for me today around 7m with 3 at threshold/tempo pace split throughout. Longest and hardest run for some time
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Matt3 wrote (see)
    I'd make a shit detective as I didnt have a clue you were coaching Johnas, I was under the impression that you was being coached. 

the two aren't mutually exclusive remember....

• 2hrs on the MTB today.

Fell off on a shared path on the way home. Greasy section whilst going round some safety gates image. Muppet.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Easily done, especially on knobbly tyres Iron. Bike and you OK?

Feel crap today - hope I haven't got your lergy SG!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

unlucky iron, hope no harm done.

Hardly my lurgy Bus, it's been doing the rounds for months apparently. Until the last week I thought I was mr invincible! With kids around and a full gang of office chums, you've done well to avoid until now! Hope it's not it though..just some light cold that you can sleep off hopefully.

Managed some sort of 4miler. But the mix of feeling weak, and it being horrendously windy, made it a contender for "worst run ever", alongside some races I've done when having  fever/chest infection, a long run I did with a twinging back, and the runs trying to come back from chicken pox after weeks out!!

Ho hum.

• Picking up bad habits watching me cycling into trees Iron! Presume all is ok?

I got some twigs stuck in my chainset, looked down to investigate, looked up and there was a tree by my nose. Managed to stop the bike but ended up with some 'endo' action followed by a fall to the side!

• Windy out there today !

6.8k warm up at 6.51 pace

5.0k effort in 16.19 (5.15 pace)

1.8k warm down at 6.45 pace

First 5k effort as a v50 pleased as a swirling wind and ran alone image
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Fantastic run Rob, a lone 16:19 is really going some! And how do you manage to summon sub 7 warm down pace afterwards?

Good run Scott, excellent to see you back to some fast stuff.

Sorry to hear you're still suffering SG. 

Iron and Andrew showing the danger of multi eventing there.

Two things for me today. This afternoon was the Reading match of the Hampshire League cross country. A real mud bath in places and some very steep climbs and descents. Not my best showing in XC this season. I struggled to hang on to two clubmates (who to be fair are both good XC runners), and almost went down a couple of times. Managed to pull alongside my two clubmates with a few hundred metres to go, and held it to the final corner, but when it comes down to a sprint, there's usually only one outcome for me, and so it proved. Still, 25th place in this league is still solid enough, even if it was a little sub par. On the upside, as I'm now club men's captain, I was really pleased we had the strongest team out that we've ever had in that league, so we should consolidate our position.

The good news today is that I had an email confirming my place in the Berkshire team for the inter counties, so chuffed with that. Means I can't ditch XC training yet though...

• Long days PMJ but sounds exciting!

IC - Top MTB effort, I stayed in on the turbo and struggled through the 15 minute commute lol

Dachs - Thanks, feels good to run a little quicker and feeling good all round. I was running 5:5x pace though so it's a hard one to swallow fitness wise but I think it'll come back relatively quickly. Just get some miles in through January first. A good showing at the XC too, field is always pretty good and even one slight off mile will lose a ton of places

Rob - I think your telling porkies image Stava has 16:09 image but fast either way solo! Nice one

Matt - a good run today? Tell us more image
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Bike and I OK. It's karma for laughing at AG's acrobatics.

The lurgi has been doing the rounds for a while. Good to hear you're back on it SG and rest up Bus.

Cracking news Dachs, well done you must be very happy. Good efforts Rob & Scott. As I'm way past Scott's age, Rob is making me look forward to being a Vet. image

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Glad to hear you're both in one piece Iron.

Been noticing you getting back into it Scott on strava. Good to see after last years injury plagued year. Thought I was the youngest as I look about 15.image

SG when I had the large I tried to soldier through but had to turn back home a couple of times as it was horrible. Not exactly a brilliant day to be getting back out weather wise.

Rob, I'd have been on the treadmill for that effort in this weather. Is your race next week? Will it be an easier week? That said, it'll still all be sub 6.30 paceimage

Congratulations on selection Dachs! Great start to the year and if anything the XC sessions will help with your strength for your target races. Decent outing too at the XC.

Them bikes are dangerous AG, you want to be flogging it!image

Mid lancs XC for me today. Going into the unknown a bit as its been 2 years since my last one and 20 years since the one before that. image picked someone out who I was hoping to stick with and ended up in about 20th place after the first mile. He'd gone into the distance but over a short spell I somehow managed to go past a fair few people and after the first lap I was in 7th.

The fella who I was hoping to chase was a good 50 yards clear in 5th and I had a good 20 yards on 8th. It pretty much stayed like that til the finish. I wore my HR monitor to gauge what effort, more just to see than anything and it was pretty much flatlined from start to finish.

Can't argue with where I ended up so pleased with it all in all.
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Nice run rob, great racing matt and congrats Dachs on the vest

birmingham league Xc and I felt ok so expected to go well.  Was obscenely windy but course was good.  Flat with a few boggy sections. Long story short I had a mare. I got into a decent position in the first mile but my legs felt flat.  Tried to wake them up by lifting the pace but nothing. Got overtaken by some I had beaten recently and tried to stay with them but I got dropped.

Then wave after wave of people came past. into last lap and was overtaken by a club mate who I have beaten by a couple of minutes in the other xc's this season, tried to hold but couldn't, next up was a vet who I beat by about 90 secs last week and have beaten comfortably all season, he drifted away and must have taken about 20 secs off me in the last mile. Into the last few hundred metres and tried to muster a sprint but nothing. Last 50m and some chap tried to out sprint me. his coach shouted something like you got him,  i respond by putting in a sprint that wouldn't have looked out of place on the track. No matter how bad my day is I'm not getting out sprinted. Won that battle at least.  

Finish in 66th. It's a high class league but the amount of people who beat me for the first time for a year was staggering.  Every now and again you hit a day where you race badly.  No reason, no explanation, no excuses.  

Saw seb at the finish. And he said he could tell I was flat as he was catching me with every step,  good to see seb racing again and hope he clears his injury to get back to his previous high level.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

insane little session Rob. makes me feel even more worn out!

Dachs, wow 25th shows the standard there doesn't it!

Matt, you're spot on, just stopping and kipping by the side of the road felt like a better option at the time.
    I'm going to continue the epic 10-12hour sleeps ive been having, and hope that and my ultra dull monk like lifestyle quickly accelerate things along before too many people at work realise that the "fitness" or "running" man, has quickly become the "completely wiped out, fitness of a 90year old smoker" man.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dean, forgive my knackered brain if it's a stupid question, and you've explained a million times,  but how come you race in the Birmingham league when based fairly northern?
    Is it just the highest nearest standard race? Or does it simply cover a massive range of places?

• Just lost a Strava course record in Japan for one loop of the park, 1.1 miles, close to the hotel I stay in. My record was 6:44 for the loop, at 6:14 pace. New record is 6:38 at 6:09 pace. Thought to myslef that is easy to get back next time I  am in Japan but looked at the run and the guy ran 16 laps of the park and did 19.0 miles in 1:58:09 at 6:12 average pace! Not only did he beat my record, he did 16 laps faster on average! I think that is what the kudos button is for.