Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    Stevie G wrote (see)

cc- was that when Paula was preg?

Not pregnant but she must have been taking it easy.

Not long back running I think - when they were doing the celeb intros at the start, Chris Hoy said Paula told him she had only been running 60-70 miles per week!  I ran 34:19 and she did 32:xx - I think I remember there being less than 2 minutes between us.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Proving tricky to get the miles in this week - certainly getting to 60! Today was supposed to be a double and started off with just over 8xc early doors with the intention to run again tonight. Trouble is, I'm now back home after a long old day, feeling slightly flu-y, it's bleedin cold and I really can't be arsed to get my kit on and go for a miserable run in the dark! I know - no commitment!

• Nah, just sensible Bus! image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

yep, what Iron says. If it's anywhere near the virusy feeling I had and a lot of people I know have had, the last thing you'll want to be doing is running!

I've a mere 5 to do tomorrow if you're better and fancy a little jog out. Saturday hours, so not stupidly early either!

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    That'll be you Parkrunning then Bus?image
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Thanks chaps - alleviates the irrational guilt!

I did think about a parkrun Matt, but the Rye one is just a swamp at the moment and I can't be bothered to drive anywhere!

What time you out SG? Might be a possibility if we don't get snowed in and I don't have a stupidly long lie in!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

thinking about it Bus, might be too pansy a distance run to bother hauling you out for! Especially as Saturday is my "no limit sleep in day" image

there best not be any snow afoot, to miss a week ill and then have snow so soon after would be a grade A a-hole!

• Rumours of snow and ice here tomorrow. You guys on the hills might be in trouble! 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

thank goodness I bottled the chance to see Wycombe away at Bury!

Can't imagine it'll be glorious up there.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Icy as he up my way. Pretty much skated round today's run.
  • Just cold and frosty here this morning: no snow. Can't be bother to scrape the car to drive to parkrun so I'll run there anyhow for a nice 3 mile warm up, 3 miles hard, 3 miles cool down for a week in the mid to high 50s.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Woke up at 8, thought parkrun would be good as it'd be nice and firm underfoot but then promptly fell back asleep! Oh well, nice frosty off-road bimble in a bit instead...

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

snowing a bit, settling a bit, oh dear. If this did stay for any length of time this'd be annoying after 2 weeks of 8miles, and this week 47 to see in 2015.

Last year we were lucky without any, but a few years ago, I remember 3 separate cycles of snow, and having to do a 3x2mile HM session around a snowy park.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Don't be such a wuss SG! Let's have more snow I say - I love running in snow image

Just been out for a lovely run to Hughenden Park - bright sunshine, with a dusting of snow on the ground. Just shy of 7 miles.

• No snow or ice here in the end. Went out at 10ish for 2hrs on the bike and as usual overdressed. Really nice ride and clear roads. Some evidence of cold overnight in Windsor Great Park but a cracking morning.

Looking forward to Bracknell's XC tomorrow though concerned slightly as they cancelled it in 2013 due to snow on the ground!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

behave Bus, snow and ice are rubbish, for running, and for actually getting anywhere.

Worst thing is that you can't do proper sessions, have to wear xc shoes, and after a week of those normally end up with a few muscular aches as they're not meant to be worn so much.

having said that, today';s 5 was fine, but that's because it's poor man's snow , light and hopefully off soon.

• SG, I don't know exactly where you live, but would have thought it was less snowy or no snow down on the flats of Marlow or along by the river?

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Give me ice and snow over rain, wind and a sea of mud any day! It does make road sessions tricky though, must admit. As for xc shoes, most of my miles are done in them, but a sudden change from high mileage in road shoes to enforced off road could cause some issues.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

if it's snowy or icy it pretty much rules quality out. that's the main problem.

Iron, for a 5miler I wouldn't bother tripping over to Marlow, but probably not too bad anywhere round here yet.

to say the least today's run was infinitely better than last week's comeback run, which was miserable. But just feel a bit leggy and tight. Hopefully just the last bit of the cold to run off.

xc race 7 tomorrow like Iron says. Shame I didn't really fancy any of them. Did intend to do 1, but last 2 have been ruled out.

• Doubles are for wimps! Just followed a few links on Strava and yesterday, the guy leading the January tables did a 10, 3, 9.5 and 6.2 so 4 runs and 28.7 miles. He has run 364 miles so far this year so over 21 miles each day and his target is 6,640 miles or about 127 miles a week!

Must say, though, that he is surely heading for a problem. 6,640 is double what he did last year and that is too much of step up to sustain. The guy doesn't even have a background of running an calls himself an ultra runner even though he has only finished one: a 100 mile in outside 24 hours. fast is not necessary but is indicative of what a runner can do.

• Yeah that's pretty crazy Phillip, it does seem on those challenges the guys suddenly run a lot more mileage all of a sudden than the last 10 or so weeks or whatever you can look back on..

148 miles in a week or something and 130 odd this week with a day to go? Crazy! Seems to be 8-10 min mile pace so some runs arguably on the slower end

With regards to track talk, ran on a good few, Southampton is ok and IOW can have exposed home straight but seem both sheltered. Ran Crawley or Watford for a BMC I think, which I remember being sheltered by the stands?

Just a few patches of ice this way and was a little weary along the seafront today, but not comparably cold to anywhere more north of here.
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • I am with you Bus, I love running in the snow. Anything that occupies the mind and provide some fresh stimulus. 

Anyway obviously no running for me, but I did two hours on the MTB at the lookout. Two loops of the blue and one red, a brief dusting of snow made it all the more fun. Smashing through the ice covered puddles was cool too. I hate not being able to run however the great thing about triathlon is not having all your eggs in one basket. It means there's real purpose to the cycling and swimming not just a cross training exercise.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

21 miles each day! only a matter of time before someone catches him cycling along slowly.

🙂

• Ah didn't realise you were a triathlete AG.

I found being "forced" to cycle whilst injured gave me that cycling mojo back but not ever got decent consistency of volume in really..

I would consider duathlon (reasonable on the bike with no specific training and lower mileage than running) but couldn't do triathlon because of my ears.. Sounds silly but being underwater etc doesn't work for them.

Ric - I was actually think the same. 20 hours of exercise is a lot. Not unreasonable though and most plodding. Cycling at 10m/m... Nah

I was reading about a sub 50 min 10 mile man (and triathlete actually) who claimed to train 25 hours a week around his regular job.. Crazy stuff
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Haha Ric! They do like the tag of being an 'ultra runner' don't they. Strange breed IMO.

I agree with SG about the problems with doing any quality sessions. Snowed most of the night here and been on and off today so had to do my 45 min threshold run round last weeks XC course. 2" of snow covering a mudfest. Slipping and sliding everywhere with my XC spikes on and it was a right bind.
  • We did some club runs in the snow a few years ago; very enjoyable but you need to prepare correctly. 2 hours and something like 7 miles.

100miles in 24hrs. That's just over walking pace!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

That's a pretty brisk walking pace to be honest and a 100 miles is a 100 miles - half as much as my longest week in one day! Personally I would be just as impressed if he HAD walked it!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

it's hard to hear 100miles in 24hours and not think "that's pretty stupid and pointless"

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

It's a good skill if you ever need to escape from a prisoner of war camp.