Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Philip - I am assuming you don't do it at rush hour, in a group of 8, on an icy road.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Highlight over the last few days, I've has definitely been  the angry stories and Ric's odd race.

A bit of mid running fury doesn't half make things go quicker

• Andrew G wrote (see)

Philip - I am assuming you don't do it at rush hour, in a group of 8, on an icy road.

Blowing or running? Rhetorical question actually, neither.

• The thing that winds me up more than anything, is when a group of people are hogging the pavement two abreast and don't tuck in. I play chicken with them, two hoodlums were doing this and didn't move and I just ran straight into the one on the outside. I flattened him, it was that or run into the road at the oncoming cars.

My shoulder was a bit sore afterwards. Verbals were also exchanged. I reckon he moved the next time someone ran towards him.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Great report Ric. certainly deserves it's description of epic! What's next for you? Tough Mudder? Mighty Deerstalker? One of the Brutal races? imageimage

Nice threshold run CC. Great consistency. Did you use your headtorch? Prob best to keep quiet if so

Hopefully thats the last of your lurgy then SG. Good to see you back training. Good use of the word rampaging to replace monstering too

Lit - will you be gracing the Champs start with your company again this year?

Bus - love a run when it clicks and everything just flows. Yesterday i went for an easy 45 mins and not only was the pace a significant step up of late, but all at a significantly lower average HR. It's amazing how you can just turn a fitness corner if you don't chase it.

Dean - fair play on the treadmill reps. I just can't seem to get along with treadmills at all unless for easy stuff. Great pace

PMJ - apparently CC wears a headtorch and just points it in front of him. He said you could give him a blow next time you see him.

I am the only one that has some horrendous visons of Simon looking all 'panty'. Christ.

Great stuff Dachs. Is the target to PB at Woky?

Good to see you back Scotch and great attitude - patience now will pay in the summer

Andrew - same applies as with Scott really. Cross training is dull as dish water but better than nought

I did a similar session to Dachs today if a little less volume at threshold. 8 miles @ 5.45 pace and just over 16 for the day.

So, how many forumites are at Wokingham? 

• Wokingham Half number arrived so we may need a roll-call.

I am number 94 and the entry list says 1:20 which puts me 205th in estimated time order. I reckon I will both be slower than 1:20 and higher than 205th so obviously there are worse liars than I.

In 2013, 94 were sub 1:21. The entry list has 477 sub-90 and 307 in 2013.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Good session johnas

scott - my rec was 2.5 mins.  I have always been one for long recoveries but I didnt need that long in truth.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Johnas - lurgy gone, new ache arrived. Interesting start to the year!

8miles at 5.45 Johnas, wow, you sound in cracking shape. I did exactly half of that session 4-5 weeks ago, but 5.46 for me was HM zone. Maybe that's your MP zone these days? Or in between the 2?

Andrew, good to see that you're not letting the scofflaws win

• I am number 192 for Wokingham, estimated time was 1:20.

If I can get a week's running in before it, I'll run. However with a revised target.

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    Johnas - yeah, I was wearing my head torch. Aiming it directly in the eyes of any passers by.

I do need the head torch if going out in the dark as I am in the middle of nowhere. I have it pointed diagonally downwards and if there's anyone coming (car/dog walker/runner) I dip right down.

I'm still up for a blow though. Obviously.
  • JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

id forgot you could look up runners and predicted times. looks like I'm down for 1:15. I'm guessing this was from last year. I'd be happy to be in the 1:16 - 1:17 mixer.

SG - 5.45 is threshold for me. i'm not sure i could hold that pace for a HM at the moment. I guess we'll see at Woky! today was a double day with easy 4 this morning and this afternoons session was 3x 15 mins (90), covering just over 2.5 miles per rep with easy running warm up and cool down making it 16 for the day

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Johnas - great session.  I was going to ask if it was continuous - if so I'd have reckoned sub 1:14 might be on, but even if it was reps I think you may be able to go faster in the race.  Don't count out 1:15.

I'm number 88.  Predicted time from last year was 1:13, but I've done that now.  It's a shame last year was cancelled, as I love perusing what people have put down pre-Wokingham, but of course I looked through this lot last year, so not much new. 

I did spot one fairly optimistic 1:10er.

Nice shoulder barging AG.  Where did you take the chump out?  Anywhere round my way?  Do I need to be watching out for any yoofs with a grudge against runners?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Let me completely edit that...sorry I'd read it as 8miles continuous!!

In which case I wouldn't have been able to understand how you wouldn't think you could hold the same pace for 13 in a race.

Split in 3 slightly changes things but you're still in a great place! I'd swap image

• You should be safe Dachs, it was in Twyford innit.

• Johnas - yes. But I suspect you won't be pacing me to my exact specifications this time.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Post of the year so far Johnas image. Glad to hear it's coming back too -nice session.

Andrew - similar incident on the Bourg walk bridge in Aylesbury a few weeks back - not been back since as I reckon they are still waiting!

Number 110 for me at Wokingham. Can't remember what I put down last year as a time - probably something ridiculously optimistic! 

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

I always get a bit jealous when everyone on this thread speaks about racing the same race as each other.  image

Anyone doing the Inverness Half Marathon in March...?  Anyone...?

• No, but I am doing Alloa.

• Dachs wrote (see)

Ah, the Miller. Actually 2 PBs for him this year at 10k and 10 miles (so sub 54 at 53:17 now) which probably means 71 or 72 but 70 is a stretch. 

• Anyone spot the reluctant 1:25er?

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    literatin wrote (see)

No, but I am doing Alloa.

You were my only outside hope being North of the border...

Alloa was considered but dismissed.  I forget why.

• All right... I'm doing the National XC. You in that one?

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    PhilipMJones wrote (see)
    Dachs wrote (see)

Ah, the Miller. Actually 2 PBs for him this year at 10k and 10 miles (so sub 54 at 53:17 now) which probably means 71 or 72 but 70 is a stretch. 

No, didn't mean him, 70 is a fair target for him I'd have thought.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

I've just spotted one fairly optimistic 1:19er. Cripes! Good job there's no penalty for getting it wrong image

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I'm doing Edinburgh half lit and CC.

Some great sessions last night, especially Dean, Dachs and Johnas and great to see you're getting back into it Scott. After I ended up on my arse Monday morning I took cover and did my 40 mins threshold on the treadmill and averaged 5.39 for 7.1 miles. Snow and ice seemed to have cleared a bit so did last nights 10 mins easy into a 45 threshold outside and averaged 5.55 for 9.3 miles with the first being a 6.41.

The lighter nights need to get a move on so I can run a flat loop too although the lumps and bumps will no doubt be making me stronger.

Anyone doing Alsager 5?
  • CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    literatin wrote (see)

All right... I'm doing the National XC. You in that one?

Matt3 wrote (see)
    I'm doing Edinburgh half lit and CC.

Some great sessions last night, especially Dean, Dachs and Johnas and great to see you're getting back into it Scott. After I ended up on my arse Monday morning I took cover and did my 40 mins threshold on the treadmill and averaged 5.39 for 7.1 miles. Snow and ice seemed to have cleared a bit so did last nights 10 mins easy into a 45 threshold outside and averaged 5.55 for 9.3 miles with the first being a 6.41.

The lighter nights need to get a move on so I can run a flat loop too although the lumps and bumps will no doubt be making me stronger.

Anyone doing Alsager 5?

Lit - I'm not down for the Nationals.  To be quite honest I would feel at risk of getting embarrassed at something like the "National XC Championships" - sounds like it's for faster runners than me...  Maybe next year!

Matt - The half that's part of the Edinburgh Marathon Festival on 31 May?  That's my target marathon.  I've a couple of friends doing that - they'll probably be an hour or so behind you...  I noticed that it's an 8am start for the HM, so you'll probably be finished and halfway home by the time I start the marathon.  I did notice that it was dark significantly later than a couple of weeks ago yesterday, so hopefully the nights will start to get longer fairly soon.  It's the light mornings that I miss more!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Roads races! yes please. In warmer conditions too.

Tough Mudder? Mighty Deerstalker? One of the Brutal races? imageimage

image. Johnas, not if I can avoid them. Not really my thing, but those sort of 'Tough-guy' events came to mind on Sunday. Tough for sure, I can still feel the damage in my quads as I type this out. Not injured, just very well tested.

I should mention that I entered two of these events and there's another race over the same course in mid February. There's a sense of unfinished business in the air.

The jogger who took a 'phantom' mile out of me is still down in the results as the V50 winner. It will be interesting to see how that pans out. Speculating on the reasons could be fun but I'll remain civilised. For now.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

CC- join one of the event threads, and you'll find plenty of "same race" pals.

Myself and Bus first met as we always seemed to do the same races, then it extended to race threads. Problem with those was that they have a natural end. Cue this thread, an excellent way to keep in touch with running buddies past and present.

Used to run with Johnas at the same club too 10-15races a year, and evening runs shared, so good to keep in touch with him .

Usual wednesday 10 today. It's proving a bit of a testing start to the year all in, as today felt fairly hard going.

In fairness it's probably always going to be harder to get the motor running in cold temps at 7am!  came out 7.05, same as last week. Few little feels of glute and hamstring, but moves around which is probably better than one distinct spot.

All done until Friday though. A marvellous "Hump" of the week.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps just to tease me a little, the headfones died past 3miles, just before the mile hill kicks in. Of all the places!

• Hi all, some good training going on out there, bit cold out there last night but not too bad. We had 3 x 1200, 3x 1000, 3x 800 on the grass at Luton. Enough to get you 'panty'image

Grass was a bit rutted in places but not too bad. Managed 3.55-3.52 for the 12's, 3.13-3.11 for the k's and 2.31-2.28 for the 800's. Pretty happy with that, bit more speed work lately has helped feeling less ploddy.

Races wise, my definites are..Southern xc, national xc, intercounties, reading half and Berlin. Will be chucking in a few 5 & 10k in there too I would think. Sadly can't do the highgate 10,000m due to a prior engagement.