Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie G wrote (see)

if ever there's an insight into the depth of your stalking! Be afraid runners, be afraid.

Two things:

1) stalking is against an individual and is persistent. If I fixated on Dachs and trawled his bins (hey, the council even publish bin collection dates online so I know what day to pop over) then that would be stalking: doing a one time google search on one person is not stalking

2) definitely be afraid. I guarantee that there is way more information about you online than you would ever think about. You want to scare yourself, go to http://www.192.com/people/search/

and enter your name and home town and see what it pops up. And of course, google indexes that so you can do it from your search bar.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-wPmV8ANE82w/VMEgsflhYZI/AAAAAAAABRU/a1daB6PHRUo/s986/pmj.png

• Did it. Not very scary.

CC82 - doesn't the shape of the field mean it's not ideal for measuring anything by GPS? Surely it'd be confused by all the turns?

• The only thing that scares me, is that everyone in Philip's house appears to have the same middle initial, what's going on there?

Just under 30 miles easy on the bike today, bit nippy.

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    literatin wrote (see)

Did it. Not very scary.

CC82 - doesn't the shape of the field mean it's not ideal for measuring anything by GPS? Surely it'd be confused by all the turns?

Truthfully?  I don't know...

My Garmin seems to say pretty much bang on 400m whenever I run round an actual measured running track, so it must be pretty close.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

you must be one of the few that happens for CC.

When i used to do mile reps on a track, it'd bring the "mile" split up with about 60metres to go of lap 4, so did them manually 9metres, or 2seconds into lap 5.

Which made me question a local guy quoting his "mile reps" on the track, as they were probably 10-15secs out!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Actually the way I look at it, if you've given your privacy to 'facebook' you've probably disqualified yourself from insisting on anonymity in any form.

I mean, how can anyone go "look at me me me, but don't look either?'

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Exciting stuff on here today! Luckily my life is so dull no one would bother e-stalking me - all they'd find out is I run a bit and I'm falling apart!

GPS measurements are fine if you do multiple laps and they all agree. Mine are usually pretty spot on (when averaged) round a track.

Good reps by the way CC, especially on grass.

Matt - current toe problem was caused by new shoes!!!! (not running ones). It is bloody painful, but not stopping me running - just conscious that running on it isn't letting it heal.....(but then wearing shoes at all isn't either!)

Talking of which, I wanted to do 3x2M off 2 min at lunch today, but was short on time so had to settle for 2x2M off 90s. On the usual cycle track, so odds slightly up, evens slightly down  Decided to up the intensity in lieu of distance. Came out

5:55, 5:41, 5:51, 5:49. The last one should have been closer to 5:45, but puking in the last 0.05 mile did for that! So, intensity was probably a tad too high on reflection!!

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

If I'm ever doing reps of any length on a track, my autolap is switched off and I just use the lap button.  When I've looked back I've always been surprised that give or take a couple of metres, the GPS has agreed with the track.  And that's on 2 different tracks.

• Andrew G wrote (see)

The only thing that scares me, is that everyone in Philip's house appears to have the same middle initial, what's going on there?

Sharp eyes there. My great, great, great grandmother was Elizabeth Morris (hey, you can even google my great, great, great grandmother) and my great grandfather (her grandson) was named Walter Morris Jones after her. The Morris has then passed down the family as a middle name so my father and my two brothers are all Morris Jones. My eldest brother married Janice Mary and I married Margaret Mary (purely by coincidence) but I was forbidden to use Morris as a middle name for my children so as a compromise I have Megan, Maria, May and Michael.

My great, great, great, great, great, great, great grandfather, born at the end of the 17th century, is even on the internet!

• I continue to be inspired by the great training on here so not to let the side down I did the following session tonight 1 mile WU @ 6.56 pace, 8 mile @ 5.39 and 2 mile WD at 7.11 pace image

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I think it's the other way round Rob! You're certainly keeping me on my toes!
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Fast session rob, don't think I have ever trained that fast for that distance.  Find a half to race asap image

mine was 16*200 off a 200 jog.  Was a bit icy on the track so had to wear spikes.  The consistency was there as the all came out in 30 secs and was very comfortable.

regards garmin, i every time I run mile reps on a track the watch measures the mile about 60m short.

• Nice sessions going on as said- In particular RobT's threshold run. Just logged on to strava, saw it there first and thought wow! 

Speedy reps from Dean. Do you do one bigger rep session and one smaller rep session per week or just a whole range over time? 

Bus - It baffles me how you vomit so much! 

My old garmin measured track short and I probably won't wear new one for a track session just my regular 8 quid stop watch, but will just have a notepad a pen at the finish

A question for you guys if ya don't mind? Session goals -  In regards to my build up I have done two sessions of 3 miles (both 3x1m) (1 per week last two weeks) (First one cut short a bit) I plan to either do 3-4 miles volume next time out - (next week) and am thinking this 

1 mile (3:00) 6 x 800 (2:00) 

I am leaning towards just keeping it simple and just doing 6 x 800s but off 75s instead (Less recovery than my standard mile reps (90s) and more than my x400s (60s) session.. 

Or should I stick to the 2 minutes, would that be of much use regarding my state of fitness? 

I know pace would be a factor and vary over those recoveries but given my 3 x 1m session (5:26av) I'd be looking at say 2:36-2:40s 5:15-5:20 pace 

Just a bit lost with benefits of the session at this stage and not wanting to push too much

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Scott, we are all different. But if it was me, also thinking of your injury history, I would start with an 800 session with 2.5 min rec. get the consistency and build up slowly. You need to find rhythm and a continual spell of training. After a few weeks reduce the recovery or do longer reps.  basically, what's your hurry?  Take your time.

also to answer your other question, my staple week always has a longer rep session on a Tuesday and a shorter interval session on a Thursday.  One is about speed endurance, the other about running economy at this time of yr.

• Cheers Dean, I'm in no rush as you said so will adjust sessions and build..

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Those are mighty impressive training paces R & D. Impressive from the sheer ease of execution.

Reminds of a quote from Dave Bedford where he said, " It's been a long time since I could go for a one hour run, and put 11 miles in the book".

Went for a jog yesterday with my lad. He used to do some running but no more than 20 miles in any week. My DOMS has filtered away, so no problems there. The days off have done me good. The lad however, is really unfit. 8:30 miling was a bit of a blow out.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Some regular runners still struggle with that pace in a race Ric!

Rob/Dean - very different sessions, but both most impressive!

Scott - I'd agree with Dean with a longer recovery (though of course would suggest 0.5M reps rather than 800m image) I'd be nervous of shorter, sharper stuff until all the niggles have well and truly gone. As for the puking - just a skill I have I guess!

8M xc to the train this morning. Nice and crisp underfoot, but still a bit of a struggle today - min per mile slower than Tuesday's similar route!

• Yeah Bus I wasn't thinking about doing them fast and was leaning toward short recovery to keep my running "slower" but longer recovery I can focus in solid form and just get back into turning legs over a bit quicker for now and not blast them. Nice morning run. It was still frosty / icy at 9am in Southampton so didn't bother with the bike. Felt lazy enough to skip turbo too image

35 mins strength work for me today though. First sesh in yonks and really showed how weak I've become! All the exercises I could have done at home though (I'm lucky gym is next to work! But no excuses now!
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Easy 6 miler for me today in the frozen wastes. I seem to have recovered well and felt good. I'll think about going further tomorrow. That's my plan.

Got an email from the organiser of my last event. Seems he's noticed something that doesn't quite add up. He'll let me know in due course.

🙂

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Rob, fantastic session.  Get in a race as soon as you can.

Nice repping/puking Bus.  Do you need to wear a bib when you run?

Handy 200s Dean.  What do you reckon you could pull off for a flat out 200?

Scott, I guess the point at the moment is just to get your body used to running faster, and enjoying it.  With that in mind I say 800s (don't see the point in sticking a mile rep in there if you're already doing the odd mile rep session).  As others have said, you're not trying to be in full-on race fitness at the moment, so don't worry about the recovery.  I say 2 mins and increase it if you need.  Most important is that you enjoy it.

Fairly light hill rep session for me last night.  I had considered parkrunning tomorrow, but I need to go and pick up our brand new car instead.  It will be red, which we all know is the fastest colour.

• I've entered a HM on the 15th but unfortunately I doubt I'll be easing off for it as first major target approaching on 8 March!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

And we all know why some men feel the need for a big red car Dachs image

Never mind a bib, I think the finish line of each race I enter should be equipped with those air-line sick bags for the benefits of those handing out the medals image

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

rob - is that wrexham half?  if so they have had a lot of bad publicity the past 2 races.  eg marshalls sending half the field left instead of right adding on over half a mile to the race.

dachs - no idea about a flat out 200m.  i was doing reps in 26s last summer so i guess it would be faster than that.  i might have a go at one in the summer.

• Christ Dean - I think I did one in the 26's once - for the last rep of 20 x 200 or something like that image

Good reps and good puking then over the last couple of days then!. I've got a cold, but still ran to work yesterday and did a gentle 5m over Primrose Hill yesterday luchtime. Don't actually feel that 'ill' as such, legs still feel OK. The annoying thing is that when it gets cold, the skin on my achilles cracks up, as does the skin on the front, just at the bottom of my shin and it was really painful last night.

So with that and the cold, I thought I would walk into work today - especially also as I have 9 miles of xc tomorrow at Brighton. I would imagine my chest will settle after a couple of miles, thats what usually happens. It's a bugger of a course though.

With that and then watching Bmth at Villa on Sunday - I'm glad I have got Monday off work to recover..

• Dean it is but need a race and it's the only one I can fit in as skiing the week before!!
  • Late to the party!

Good training all. Getting it done despite the weather.

Bus - beard is nothing like Johnas', just a poor man's attempt at not shaving since Xmas. It looks shit.
    AG - running/walking maps seem to be common in the Germanic areas I have visited. Municipally signposted routes less so, but still noticeably present.

PhilipMJones wrote (see)
    Stevie G wrote (see)

if ever there's an insight into the depth of your stalking! Be afraid runners, be afraid.

Two things:

1) stalking is against an individual and is persistent. If I fixated on Dachs and trawled his bins (hey, the council even publish bin collection dates online so I know what day to pop over) then that would be stalking: doing a one time google search on one person is not stalking

2) definitely be afraid. I guarantee that there is way more information about you online than you would ever think about. You want to scare yourself, go to http://www.192.com/people/search/

and enter your name and home town and see what it pops up. And of course, google indexes that so you can do it from your search bar.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-wPmV8ANE82w/VMEgsflhYZI/AAAAAAAABRU/a1daB6PHRUo/s986/pmj.png

I can't find me. What does that mean?

Yesterday was a rest day as hotel gym was closed therefore no bike. I was supposed to bike today but bogged down with work and haven't seen the kids all week. I should have just got up earlier! Leading the long ride tomorrow. image

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

rob - wrexham is flat so assuming they send you the correct way (something they havent achieved in the last 2 yrs) then i can imagine you flying round in a tasty time

• DeanR7 wrote (see)

dachs - no idea about a flat out 200m.  i was doing reps in 26s last summer so i guess it would be faster than that.  i might have a go at one in the summer.

So, technically on paper and po10, my 200m PB is better than Dean's image

• Philip but would you want to race himimage
  • IC - Doesn't surprise me that's it's only ze Germans marking routes, good work on growing a shit beard!

I remember my Dad buying a red sports car, it was either the Toyota Celica or the Mitsubishi 3000GT, anyway he turned up and got out in a bright red tracksuit. I remember thinking, he's either having a mid life crisis, or an affair. Turned out to be both!

One hour on the Wattbike today with a 20 minute test coming out at 258 watts average. I want to get this over 300. This will be a weekly effort to gauge progress. Not quite sure what this equates to in real life as I don't really understand the watts. So it's a fairly arbitrary target, other than being better.

Cub swimming at 8pm and then long ride tomorrow. Hopefully running Monday, fingers crossed. Happy weekend running image.