Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I unintentionally pinched a CR tonight and bettered one that I already held. Thinking of doing a parkrun on sat so swapped sessions around and did an 8 mile threshold averaging 5.34miling. I'm not sure I can ever recall running 34.30 for 10k and feeling in control before but I'll take it.

Feeling as though I can go along around that pace and it all feels to a rhythm. It's the going up a gear that I think I'm going to find tough. It wouldn't surprise me if Saturdays parkrun is about 17 mins. (My course PB is 16.26 the week after Leeds Abbeydash in 2013) and I paced 17.42 last week then carried on another 7 miles around that pace after.
  • Matt you'll be fine picking up pace if you remember several weeks ago I was churning thresholds out at 5.40-6.00 pace then did a solo 5k effort a lot quicker and the effort felt comparable !
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I'm hoping that's going to be the case Rob. :-/
  • Strava? Just something else I can't really be arsed to get into. I'm just happy with Mapometer and the trusty Casio F91-W. The Velcro on my IPOD holder is going anyway, so it would be pointless at the mo! Never really been that scientific with my running tbh..

Regents pk at lunchtime today, did 10 x 2 mins (ish) with 1 min recovery. DS Trainers feeling a little more responsive, but I think I'm staying with the Adidas Tempos for the Lytchett 10 on Sunday. Good going Matt, I think I'm going to throw in a few more tempos as it's dawned on me that I don't do any!

Down to Poole to see the folks tomorrow, so will be watching my bro and the missus do the Poole park run, having an easy day then the 10 sunday am.  In other news, booked the Berlin flights and hotels..better think about a training plan....

• I use TrainingPeaks for my scheduling and analysis, and Strava to see what the world is up to and to share what I've done on the odd chance someone else is interested.

I also hold 2 very obscure KOMs, one uphill and one downhill. Please don't take them.

Are armwarmers gimpish?

2mi test run on the foot today; didn't seem to bad whilst running but I knew about it when I got home. Ran in my Adrenalines as they have more support. Like running with huge inflexible weights on after wearing only Skechers for so many months.

Good sesh Simon.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Nice session Simon and good luck for Sunday,

Hopefully the foot problem is nothing too serious Iron.
  • Cheers both - gentle 5 this morning to work this morning - getting lighter at last!!

Iron - suppose not hurting as much WHILE running is better than the other way round..well thats my basic rule of thumb image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I barely took in what CRs were, and certainly have no idea what KOMs are.

But I can confirm that armwarmers are the epitome of gimpishness.

After the usual lovely floaty feeling of the post half marathon week, brought sharply back to normal by attempting some mile reps.

10k pace, 10k pace, 5k pace off 90s was the attempt.

Around 10k pace, tempo, tempo was the result!

Legs tightened up, and it all felt a little bit of a rude awakening after the relative cruise pace of half marathon pace on sunday. Oh well, onto next week!

• Thanks Matt & Simon. It's at niggle level during a run and bearable, but not worth the pain and agro afterwards. Now in cycling mode only for a week. image

Bus - didn't you have something like this recently, caused by overtight laces?

Having checked, I actually have 4 CRs and no KOMs. I don't understand the difference though. I assume KOM is cycling only?

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

King Of the Mountain?

good sessions simon, matt and others.

i did 12*300 off 60secs. Target 50 secs a rep as was proper cold last night.  First came out 45 secs ??ooops some frustration no doubt from tuesdays abomination session but calmed them down and had good consistancy as all came out within 0.4sec of each other in 49sec.   dont need to go any faster than that at this stage in the yr so happy again but it looks like im ok with faster shorter distances but need to focus on the longer reps.

• Stevie G wrote (see)

No! A gimp suit is the epitome of gimpishness. Arm warmers are the epitome of someone who gets cold arms and doesn't like it.

• DeanR7 wrote (see)

King Of the Mountain?

good sessions simon, matt and others.

i did 12*300 off 60secs. Target 50 secs a rep as was proper cold last night.  First came out 45 secs ??ooops some frustration no doubt from tuesdays abomination session but calmed them down and had good consistancy as all came out within 0.4sec of each other in 49sec.   dont need to go any faster than that at this stage in the yr so happy again but it looks like im ok with faster shorter distances but need to focus on the longer reps.

KOM = King of the Mountain, yes. Unsure whether it is only 'awarded' for cycling activities.

Glad to hear things are back to normal.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    PhilipMJones wrote (see)
    Stevie G wrote (see)

No! A gimp suit is the epitome of gimpishness. Arm warmers are the epitome of someone who gets cold arms and doesn't like it.

and also by some people who havent got the hang of long sleaved t-shirtsimage

IronCat5 wrote (see)

Glad to hear things are back to normal.

cheers.  might have to finally admit im more suited to short stuff than long.

• Dean that's Bollocks ! you're awesome at all disciplines image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

yeah, didn't you pump out 1h12/13 half marathons when not even targetting them?

I remember Moraghan saying he really flew at the shorter stuff, but then had a real big reduction from 3k to 5k

And doing a marathon on his fast twitch fibres wasn't his favourite moment.

• I'm not sure but I think KOM is awarded to people who manage to get all the way up to the top of the hill on their bike without getting off and pushing.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

is this in any way linked to King of the Hill, the cartoon?

• Stevie G wrote (see)

is this in any way linked to King of the Hill, the cartoon?

I used to watch a lot of that. It was an improvement on Beavis and Butthead.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

image rob, i think i will have that comment turned into a t-shirt

i probably meant to say i find the training for shorter stuff easier. 

• You can use it no problem image

A rival to Mr Way's Don't be sh1t!

or the best FB page I was, or am a runner!

• KOM is cycling only, CR's running. KOM's are applied to flat bits too.

Hope your niggle is ok Iron. I have done absolutely nothing this week. I caught a cold and needed to recover from Wokingham so thought with both things combined I should have a week off. Tomorrow I'll do a big cycle and then start running Sunday. I will devise a five week plan to get me to Reading in better shape than Wokingham.

Received a job offer this morning. I haven't done a proper days work in about 4 months!

I used to watch Beavis & Butthead at Uni, it was always on when you came in pissed from the pub. I think this was the only context in which it was watchable.

• Iron - where's the pain? If on the top, I fin that taking the lace out of the holes completely around the area is much better than just loosening them.

SG - glad it's not just my legs that are still a bit mashed! Struggled to go sub 7 on the flat yesterday even for the last couple of miles and this morning's 7.5M was a bit of a trial!

Off on hols tomorrow to a very hilly bit of Devon for a week!

• Have a good holiday Bus.

Dean - back on it again then! I will have to try and get in the proper rankings for 1500 in AW next Feb rather than just a 'noteable mention'!! Good job 1500 was a bit lax for v40 compared to the 800 and 3000 last year...funny that, not sure why..

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

simon - what was in AW?  something on vets rankings? did you get a shout out? 

to be honest i never really went for the 3000 so didnt pay any attention to the rankings (not even sure where i landed in the end)

where as i can tell you who 1st and 3rd was in the 1500m (but i think you know those as wellimage)   and who were the top 5 in the 800 list.     The 800 was boosted by indoor times.  as couple of those chaps ran fast indoors and then didnt break 2 outside. but i think the hardest to get ranking was vets mile image largely helped by mr Whiteman not doing one

• Are you going to take the job AG, or hang out for a better offer?

The Bus wrote (see)

Iron - where's the pain? If on the top, I fin that taking the lace out of the holes completely around the area is much better than just loosening them.

Off on hols tomorrow to a very hilly bit of Devon for a week!

The pain is on the outside of the foot down and slightly forward from the ankle. Where the peroneal tendons pass. No real option on loosening the laces there image I'm convinced that it was caused by a ridiculously long run (duration) in elastic laces. Sounds like a similar thing but in a different location. I'll search back for what you said about it (probably do 8mi XC and run it off!)

As recommended by t'interweb I put a heel lift in my work shoes yesterday and it was grand all day.

Enjoy the hol!

• Bit of cross-thread contamination.

Iron - Have you tried Lydiard lacing? If, as Bus suggests, it's across the top of the foot, switching to that enabled me to shake off a similar sounding problem - like you, it felt tolerable while I was running, but could be murder afterwards. Not a grumble since. Have a look at this vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xY04yndE-k

EDIT: X-Post. image Unlikely to be much help at all in that case.

Dean - Hoping to make a bit more of an impact on those MD rankings (particularly the 800m) myself this year, though won't be in you and Simon's territory obviously. Have you clocked the dates for the BMAF champs in Brum yet? No badly timed holiday slip ups this year, fella!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

AG, good to hear, time off is the dream when you work, but infinite time off with no guarantee of work is rubbish. Reminds me of uni days where my course was so tiny in taught hours, weekends actually started meaning nothing. All i did in those days was play football.

Bus, hopefully it's just a mix of the half, and return to speed.

Often find my tightest day of the week is after a rest day too.

Look forward to a hit bath and stretches tonight.

That's how rock n roll tings are.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

bob - yep definately think you will storm up those rankings.  i did see the bmaf finals and its the weekend of my wife and sons birthday. so im a bit dicey on my availability particularly as we are holding off on a holiday due to the world champs a few weeks later.      i will try to convince my son to have his party the week before as he will get presents from the family/friends earlier i might be able to swing it.

• 12 miles at lunchtime ahead of the rain but got caught in the wind so headwind out, tailwind back. Makes the splits look nice: first 6 in 46 minutes (7:40 pace) and the next 6 in 44 minutes (7:20 pace) for an average just inside 7:30.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Looks similar to my Wednesday run Phil, 6 easy, 6 steady. Although presumably your steady would be faster than 7.20? Maybe a steady on the target MP you're using.