Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Good mix of stuff to make up the numbers Andrew. Not sure how you resisted being competitive though image

Matt - i was thinking more of his diet of loaves and fishes being a contributory factor! I get odd cramps after a big week. I think it's the muscles way of just getting back at you image

Iron - cross post earlier and missed yours. Sounds like a tough afternoon, but one of those that can really change your perspective on things. Glad the foot is behaving itself.

Ah, back to work tomorrow image Still, only 5 weeks and two days until the next break up to the Lakes image

• The Bus wrote (see)
    Ah, back to work tomorrow image Still, only 5 weeks and two days until the next break up to the Lakes image

My wife is a part-time teacher and she seems to work more than you do! image I missed your height gain this week. Impressive.

Matt, I'm sure if you contacted a local race they'd happily let you pace. FWIW British Blind Sport are trying to build a list of people over the country that would guide for running and UKA/EA are pushing this too. The workshop was free.

• Matt - Xempo are putting together a national database of pacers that they can call on if races in various areas want them; might be worth signing up for that?

Also: hi Nikki! Nice to see you today. image

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

See Mo formally stating in the Sunday Times he'll never stop chasing medals in favour of records despite yesterday! Each to his own I suppose.

Another busy w/e for me; 19'03 pr yesterday and 38'29 10k today. Makes 7 out of the last 8 w/e's racing on Sundays (though 4 were xc) and 7 of 8 pr's in the same timeframe. Must find some time to train now as no races for 4 weeks!

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    That's nearly more than I do in a year Pete. image I do wonder if I don't race enough. How were the legs after the PR yesterday? I've never raced on consecutive days.

Cheers for the heads up on the pacing, I've just registered with them now.
  • PeteM, good running but I am not sure we can let you off with the use of PR: surely it is a PB. You'll be saying fanny pack next.

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

legs ok thanks Matt; I'm used to pr the day before most races and doesn't seem to impact much as its only 5k; I have much more of a problem getting back into it even 2 or 3 days after halves though.

PMJ is PR what the Americans call a PB then?  I suppose I should say parkrun anyway as founder PSH is touchy about it being referred to and spelt properly!

• Pete, I misread pr as Personal Record and not parkrun.  Do you have a particular plan in regard to parkruns? I now seldom target a parkrun as a full bore effort and tend to use them more as fast training runs.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

i did think that was a suspiciously high amount of PRs in such a short time frame! image

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

PMJ, I just like to vary the courses I go to but currently am looking more at those that are faster (tarmac or hard trail) to get more into the road running feel. I nearly always end up running them pretty much as fast as I can. Sort of figure that serves as my tempo run (faster but shorter than a real one) and then just need club training and a longer steadier run to get a reasonable minimum each week.

SG: Just I pb (or pr!) any time this year at any distance would suffice for meimage

• A 19:03 PB didn't sit well with a 38:XX the next day either! image

Good effort though Pete!

• Oh..my...god.

Well did the National at the weekend - and as expected it was muddy as hell - this is Parly hill of course. But not the deep wet mud, this was deep sticky mud. The national course is 2 big laps and better than the southern course, with the first half being the harder half.

So I didn't feel I was doing that well and them the first half of the second lap nearly finished me off. Ended up with 254th and I would say 6/10 for performance. It's just too muddy and i'm not strong enough basically. The results are so up in the air too - the guy who accidentally tripped me up at fast, flat Richmond was 72nd! only xc can do that.

Only intercounties to go until the blessed road and track image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

doesn't sound too much fun Simon.

For randomness, what else isn't fun is a spot of toothache. Been a fair while since I've had that pulsing feeling. Annoyingly, if I can hold it until next Monday, it's covered under a health plan. If not, it's lashing out. Similar vibe with Physio, but that feels less imminent needing!

It's funny, I've broken a toe, been wiped totally out by Chicken pox at 25, snapped ankle ligaments, had footballs smash me in the face, almost knocked myself out on my car boot (!),  had elbows in the eye, run away from hoodlums in cars and had to jump into a massive nettle field ( don't ask) yet I'd probably say the worst pain ever was a nerve ending tooth pain, that literally sent me to bed wincing.

Erm....worst pains for everyone else?

• Sounds like Tadley TVXC Simon. Good effort though!

I have ear ache after going to Coral Reef last Wednesday evening. It kept me awale Friday night.

SG - does it hurt more than your Wycombe 10k outcomes? image

• Having to have a new plastic tube re-entered into my punctured lung a few hours after it became apparent the trainee Doctor had f***ed up the removal of the original tube that had been in for several days image. Oh, that and plucking out a nose hair just now....

I've seen some pics of the National Simon - looks a nightmare!

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Pancreatitis, the Ben Nevis race and hitting myself in the eye today at work.
  • I shattered the corner of my kneecap and tore the ligaments down the side, didn't go to hospital for three days, I had the knee drained, it was massive. That hurt more than toothache. I had toothache recently, it kept me awake, Ibuprofen and co-codamol will take the edge off.

• Yes Bus -  It was!

One of life's joys is toothache going away. I have a bit of a grey tooth as I stupidly openend a bottle of beer with my teeth whilst working as a stupid campsite courier in France, 95.

I don't think people appreciate what feeling well is, I really feel for folk with chronic back pain, it must be a nightmare.

As an aside - I saw off a tweet a link to the Oregon project core and stability stuff (used by Mo and Rupp) and so thought I would get an advantage on my rivals by doing them. And low and behold they are now on the bloody RW website. Typical image...

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

nasty set of things. Rob, you can die of that can't you? Bus/Andrew, horrible sounding things too!

Simon, I wouldn't even dare biting hard into an apple these days -I wouldn't be surprised if the whole lot didn't crumble.

Standard 6m MP today. Everytime I do this on the road I wish I'd done it on the "Loop". Tends to be around 5-6seconds difference a mile.

Still got it in the zone, 6.08 average, so not too far off what i'd normally do a road MP in. Loop MP can sneak under 6, but have to measure like for like.

Wildy inconsistent reps, from a 5.57 mile to a 6.14 - the worst of the obstructions.

Today's 6miles was testing, having to slow for a few road/traffic situations, tight turns, undulations into wind. My fault though, as I picked the route after all!

• Come on all you guys, childbirth has to be the biggest of all the pains. Been through it four times myself and had the police involved (birth number 1) and the ambulance (birth number 3) so called it a day as I was far too scared as to what could go wrong and need the fire brigade calling out.

I have had dull jaw ache on the left side,especally in the morning, for a few months now and if I google it, the top hit is "Jaw Pain: Can Signal a Heart Attack".

http://s.doctoroz.com/sites/default/files/im_uploads/3-123_S1_JAW-PAIN_FINAL.jpg

• I nearly did apparently but oblivious to it!! I contracted CDIF whilst in hospital at the time which made things a whole lot more interesting!! My appendix finally burst 5 days after racing a 5 mile in 27.10 and the doctor said it had probably been the reason I had stomach pains before the race and I just thought I needed the toiletimage

• So many people I know have caught something nasty in hospital - you are far better off not getting ill image

Don't google symptoms Philip!!!!! 

SG - I can never understand why you don't do your 1M loops round the lake on the Rye - right on your doorstep, no traffic and fairly scenic?

8M off-road this morning, very muddy but pleasant enough and took it nice and slow. All seemed OK during and after. Dentist at lunchtime though!

• The Bus wrote (see)

SG - I can never understand why you don't do your 1M loops round the lake on the Rye - right on your doorstep, no traffic and fairly scenic?!

Bus, don't do that. There is a Strava segment there ....

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bus, for one thing, it's right on my doorstep! It's why i hate the parkRun and Wycombe 5k courses too. 

Also, it's not actually that flat and must have a pretty sharp bend at one end!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps Bus, might of course be worth a review, but i have a pretty good place to do 200s,400s and even 800s without too much havoc.

The loop is pretty good for MP or ending harder, but it's those mile reps that are difficultings.

ps Iron, that's enough from you now, or the next time I'll see you, i'll give you the full long versionimage

• Looks like Mr Haddad finished 375th in the National XC not bad really I was there watching and I didn't spot his greatness!

• The marked 1M loop on the Rye is pretty flat - must be flatter than your road one? It is literally a complete loop of the lake, with the sharpest run being the bit over the bridge by the waterfall - not to tight. It has the distinct advantage of considerably less chance of being squashed by a car (though the swans can be nasty!) ! As for being on your doorstep - you can always take the long way there image

Philip - SG isn't on Strava so not a problem - only time I do it is as a warm-up/down for parkrun image

Didn't know Mr H did XC. Was he wearing his Italia jacket??

• I could have done with an Italia jacket on under my club vest on Sunday at the xc. It was bloody freezing.

• SG, the real quality you need from a circuit is repeatability. In an ideal world it is also standard, so a 400m track is a 400m track pretty much anywhere and if you run 67s repeats on that and go somewhere else and run 67s repeats then you can be fairly sure they are comparable. If you have a route that has +- 10 seconds due to old ladies in cars, greyhounds on leads, etc etc, then you are getting skewed results. It is much better to have a course that is going to give you consistent results rather than one that is a bit faster but gives you a wider spread of results.

For what it is worth, I think the Dye lap is not the best: the path is quite narrow and all you need is one dog walker and you have lost time.