Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Obviously that is still a very fast time, Matt, but I wonder whether trusting the HRM was the best strategy there - if you hadn't had the HR data and you just told us the paces, we'd all assume, as you would too, that you'd gone out too fast and paid for it later.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Good outing Matt. I can't pretend I understand anything about HR zones, but splits of 4.58, 5.07,5.11, 5.13,5.29,5.43 are mad! That must have been a miserable hold on job at the end, my word!

To still get a 32:xx with that ending is crazy. I think we should move you fast boys onto another thread now, and promote some others from elsewhere image

Dachs, I'd expect no different to your latest turnout. Different plane from the slightly chubbier guy I first met at Wokingham years back!

as for me, 8 yesterday, 14 today. Sub 7. 3rd 70mile week.

This week is a bit difficult, 2 drives up north and back, so will need to maximise rest and time in between. Usual scenario of the sessions, one that I can't wait to smash, one that is probably the hardest session I've done in my 5 years on here...but more on that next week!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Just a quick pop-in from me - lots of homework to do image

Well held on Matt - sounds like it was very painful in the last couple of miles, and whilst I'd happily settle for a 5:43 last mile in a 10k, that's obviously way down on what you would expect! Difficult to know whether HRM was the way to go or not, but sub 33 is still a good result in the circumstances.

Dachs - nicely done, and you can forget that horrible XC stuff for a bit now!

LSR for me today - 15.2M, hilly XC to make 55 for the week. After a rest yesterday and with firm conditions underfoot, it came out 5 mins quicker than last week for 1.2M further! And I wasn't attacked by any mad women dog owners either, so a bonus image

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Congrats on your first (not last) county outing Dachs.  Racing knowing you are ill is not a good experience but looks like you got a decent race in.  Nice Work!

matt, Training has been incredible so personally I'm surprised you didn't break 32 or at least get very close.  Chalk this down to a bloody good race but one where you can definitely improve next time out.   You have the game but maybe that first mile killed you today? 

l should have raced trafford today but unfortunately I got food poisoning from a work conference on Wednesday.  48 hours where I didn't eat anything meant I was a weak shadow of myself on Saturday so decided to pull the plug and not race. im gutted as I was targeting sub 32 & I probably won't race another 10k now until autumn. Mind you the plan was to tuck in behind matt and his multicoloured fancy new vest for as long as possible....so gutted i didn't get a chance to work together for a brace of PBs 

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Real shame for you Dean, is there no chance of jumping into another 10k at short notice? Would be good to see what you can pull off.

Good run Bus, and nice mileage SG. 

Results are in, and I was 172nd. Just over 270 ran, so that puts me just in the top two thirds. I'll take that in the circumstances, and will hope to be back to better it in the future. I see a thread name in the results (other than Simon, who I briefly met, and ran well). Probably a tough day for him, but hopefully his presence alone indicates he's on the comeback trail.

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Well raced Dachs, Jonny & Matt, the latter with pacing I would be proud of!

Average week for me just over 30 miles, but given recent injuries, happy to have put 3 weeks of low 30's together. Did my second ever slowest Parkrun and a struggle of a bike ride after. 8 miles in Wales with some horrible hills today, should have been 15 but I couldn't be arsed image.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dachs, only guessing who you mean, as I'm not going to do a Phil-esque "sniff and expose" type job, but hope all the long term absentees from the thread are doing well and happy, whether it's in running or new pursuits.

Something we all need to do sometimes is pause and remember reasons for running and what has been achieved.

That struck me today, on a walk post this morning's 14. Saw a coach from a local running club, top guy, does loads of stuff for the local running community. Got over a knee replacement, and now has a broken hip (he wasn't sure how either!)

I wandered away feeling sheepish for moaning a bit about this tight hip, that had still allowed me a pretty comfy 14miles!

Dean - thought you must have had some minor illness or something as hadn't seen you for a bit. Although thought you might be doing a Stevie G esque "disappear before a race" type thing image

ps ,  I may well have to disappear a bit this week with the driving...don't read into it!

Working out tomorrow a little, looks like it's going to be a drive into work job, leave the stuff I need there, drive back home.

Do a 6miler, ending at work. Work the half day I have booked, do a 4miler ending at home. Hour to eat/stretch/bath, then straight on the road.

One day something will have to give with this sort of planning!

ps don't really want to extend to a single, the day after a 14. But it''ll be fine....come 2pm!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps that finishing says it all Dachs! These days you're a front end face at all the local races, so to be 172nd needless to say shows the standard, phew.

Give me the Johnny Ballsack Memorial Village 10k any day

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Andy take it easy, sounds a difficult little period.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Dachs I want to start decreasing the volume and increasing the speed now, 10k was a means of seeing where i was upto compared to last yr, and in march last yr i had started doing 400m reps in 64 secs so the 10k race serves no purpose now.   that said for some unknown reason i have a bloody half marathon in a fortnight image I wasn't thinking clearly when organising my spring races.

whilst this week was annoying due to food poisoning, it started alright with a conference at man utd, with a champagne tour of the museum and then lunch with sir Clive Woodward.  hearing him speak regards athletes peaking and performing to their best really hit home.  Got some great tips

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Following on from SG's comment about standards: hope the top guys on here don't get depressed by their positions in these top class races! Forget the Johnny Ballsack Memorial Village 10ks!

Matt: you could have popped down the road to the St. Helen's 10k this morning, finishing at least 2nd. In terms of the bigger picture I think that you found out more about where you are by finishing 78th in today's classy field! Aim high!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I do love the big races Alehouse, usually because they're flat!image

Lit, very true, I had massive doubts that I'd not done enough work at that HR zone beforehand so It would've been a big surprise if I'd have not dropped off pace wise. The only other real indicator I've had off racing to the zones was a Xc race where my splits came out pretty consistent. I certainly feel as though if I can get a good 3/4 weeks in before Salford then I might be cooking with gas.

In hindsight I maybe could've done with carrying on with the longer reps as the last 3 weeks have been 400s, 800s and 4x 1k.

I did run a 41 second 5 mile PB today! Can I count that?image
  • Go on then! I'll give a little race report image

Beforehand wasn't sure what to make of my first road 10km. Had no idea about pacing and hadn't done any specific training towards it.

Dave Norman (race organiser) kindly drove me to the race and I stated the day helping with a little bit of the setting up which was pretty interesting!

From the start tried to settle into the leading group and not do too much early work. Pace seemed pretty comfy and heard someone call 4.40 for the first mile. About this time Ben Lindsay put a little move in but I gradually brought the rest of the lead group back to him. 

Cruised through the next few k and at around 4km I was still feeling comfy so I went to the front and started forcing the pace with a slight injection. Moved away from the field on one of the few inclines and found myself with a 10-20m lead. I had heard the second half of the course was easier (as slightly downhill) but when I turned a corner realised the majority of the rest of the race would be head first into the wind and I'd have absolutely no shelter being on my own.

Went through 5k in 14.45 and must have extended my lead over most of the field, bar Ben whose footsteps I could still just about here through the wind. Was still feeling pretty good but over the next km the footsteps were getting louder and I was caught at around the 6k mark.

Wondered if Ben would try and blitz straight passed me and I prepared myself to settle in behind him. While I did have to pick the pace up a little I still felt okay and in truth it was a relief to not have to do all of the work.

We alternated the lead over the next few km (he probably did a little more than me) and kept the pace moving. At 7k I looked behind and saw another lad around 50m and mentioned to Ben that we should make sure we keep moving and stay clear of the rest of the field.

Having said this from 8km it was pretty obvious that it was going to come down to him and me and from this point it started getting really cagey. I would put a little burst in and then so would he but nothing convincing and no gap more than about a metre would open up. At 9k I thought I would just leave it to the final 100m and would just sit in behind and see what he threw at me. He put an effort in but I think with about 600m to go he realised he wasn't going to drop me. Pace dropped to a jog and we both knew it was coming down a sprint. He went first and I just sat behind waiting till we were in the final straight and I opened up and went pass him with about 30m to go.

Delighted to win and was a really good first road experience!

• Hi all, better late than never check in! Dachs - good to meet you yesterday, it did look like you were on cruise control in the second half yesterday with the effects of the cold, didn't expect to come past you again once you had drifted away at the start. Pleased to work through to 153rd after feeling horrific on the first lap.

Good crack at the 10k Matt- know what those tough last k's are like if the wheels start feeling loose! Good running elsewhere, but I'm off to bed, totally done in by 16 today too, should hold me in good stead for a sub 74 Reading ..
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Great report JD! Good tactics! Great road 10k debut! And well done again!

Matt:  of course the 5 mile PB counts as long as it is on Strava. Not. You'll smash it any way at something like the Chester Spring 5!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Jonny. Reasonable effort! Sounds effortless and love winners reports!
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    And that's how to do it properly! Great picture of you both diving for the line on twitter etc. Do you know if Andy Vernon was due to race?

SG, the threads gone up about another 50 notches with comfy 4.40 miling!

Massive congrats jonny, good to read how it all unfolds at the sharp end instead of unravelling mid pack image
  • Ah, 4:40 pace from Jonny D to go sub 30 for 10k: what a way to start your 10k road account! None of this gradual 35, 34, 33, 32 pussy-footing about. All I have to do on Saturday is hold 4:30 pace for 42.195 km.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Nice one Jonny - what a debut! Absolutely outstanding. Good to see you doing a proper race report in the right place too image

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Great to have a race report from the front of a race like that.  Fantastic 10K debut, and pretty close to getting into the 28:xx’s – maybe with a bit kinder weather.  Are you going to be putting road races in regularly now, or will it just remain an occasional thing to be worked around track and XC?

Also nice to see you put down a marker for where Samir should be if he’s looking to work towards making Olympic teams…

Two sub 30s in that race for Berkshire athletes by the way.  We could have a pretty decent team on paper, albeit I wouldn’t be in it.

• Yeah same for us Dachs. Darren Deed is 37 and was top 10. Beds have some great talent for a small county, but it's trying to get them all together at the same time. And as with you, I wouldn't be anywhere near the team.

I think about sub 30 10k's when I occasionally do a sub 3 min k in a 3 or 5k. Makes you think...just need to do 10 of these back to back image

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

good racing at the inters Simon....time to turn to 5ks now?

Jonny, congrats...big win!! whats the plan now,   attack the 5k on the track?

mind you i shouldnt be suprised at a sub 30 from you when you found time for some tomfoolery at the sharp end of the last birmingham xc league? 

/members/images/549285/Gallery/birm_xc.JPG

• Matt- Yes the picture is a bit unfortunate. I think I was punching the air bit it was unfortunate timing! Andy was there pacing his girlfriend around- he's been injured I believe. Well done on your run- must have been a painful last mile!

Dachs- well done on your run at counties. It looked a fair bit tougher than it has been with the new course. 10k was a one off although I really enjoyed it. Onto track work although one last race over the cross in Antrim this weekend. image

Thats the plan Dean! Aha wow! There is a good story with me and that race...

• Good report Jonny and makes me feel sick when I barely managed 8 x 400 today at that pace. Good luck in Antrim

Simon + Dachs really well ran at inters, deep field when you see low 31min 10 km runners scrape top 100. I am hoping to make it (county team) next year for XC

AG - Nice to get some consistency back. 

Dean - Food poisoning, all to familiar with it within my line of work but another race another day. You'll get the chance

Got an "offer" for my ear operation today. Delayed it a month so I can sort some bits out and hopefully get on the start line for planned race image 28th April though so I have a clear training block now. 

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Cheers Scott - yes probably my 2nd best there, I was 134th a few years ago but the hills at the start wiped me out a bit this time!

Yes Dean - flat and fast here we come, although Reading half soon and a good time to get a longer race in with a bit of strength from the xc season - well thats what they say!

Best training night of the year so far I reckon everyone - slightly chilly, no wind. Bonus image

• Nice report Johnny. Nice to see how the other half live!

Well done Dachs on your debut and also to Simon, and Matt for pushing on through in times of HR hardship. Hope the stomach muscles have recovered Dean!

10x400 off 90s today along the shore of Lake Constance. I'd measured and marked a 400m course so the distance would remain constant (geddit?). Always find it hard to pace off a track. Aimed for 90-91s and came out with a 91s average, albeit via a 1:25 and a 1:34. Reasonable for an early morning effort.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    JonnyD wrote (see)
    At 7k I mentioned to Ben that we should make sure we keep moving and stay clear of the rest of the field.

This was my favourite bit. Two runners just zooming along having a chat. 'Ooh, you know what, Ben, I was thinking we might want to keep moving,' Jonny mentions casually. image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

4.40 pace for 10k? That's just mentalism that I doubt more than about 2 people on the whole website can match.

Iron - takes getting used to off track doesn't it! Something about having that finish line to aim for!

Yesterday was a classic planning day from me, getting 2 runs in, driving up to the United game at 2pm, picking someone up on route, and just about eating and getting to my seat 2mins before kick off!

Home at 2am, slept until 1pm image. Out the door at 2pm for an 8x200 at 1500 pace session.

Felt fresh, but then I remember still lashing some 200s when on the verge of that post Christmas illness, so it's a nice distance when knackered!

Did this session 2 weeks ago, and Moz invited me to pick what I liked as "full recovery", which I optimistically chose as 60secs. Those averaged 35.14

Today was 90secs, and the difference is huge, came out average 33.25, which felt very sharp.
    Top end 32.26, and bottom end was only 33.58, so a good consistency level too.

Much much slower 4miler due later in a  couple of hours....

• That's a good improvement, so obviously a good RI for you SG. Especially after a busy few days.

literatin wrote (see)
    JonnyD wrote (see)
    At 7k I mentioned to Ben that we should make sure we keep moving and stay clear of the rest of the field.

This was my favourite bit. Two runners just zooming along having a chat. 'Ooh, you know what, Ben, I was thinking we might want to keep moving,' Jonny mentions casually. image

Or this bit "Pace dropped to a jog and we both knew it was coming down a sprint."

Have just found the municipal track 2.5km from the hotel image

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Track tuesday for me 5*1k off 200m jog.  Target pace was 3.06 (for a 15.30 5k)

they came out 3.06, 3.06, 3.07, 3.06, 3.05.   Happy about these as its only about 4 weeks ago I blew up on a similar session And missed by a mile.   Hopefully do a few weeks at this pace then look to increase it to something tastier. image