Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

IC, surely the full English after that ride!

I'll attempt to post my own training from the past six weeks, once I've finished today's quota. ie. I've run the 12 miles, now to burn about the same number of calories on the indoor bike. 

Nothing special about the spinning side of things. Just get the HR up to 3 x resting rate and churn it out. Adding beer and wine as required. I kid you not, I've already covered both todayimage

🙂

• Options

So Shakespeare Spring marathon done. Trace is on Garmin https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/719211584 and Strava https://www.strava.com/activities/267928919 and I am fairly sure they are all public. Scores on the doors are 3:07:53 so I'm saying 3:07 which is comfortably inside the 3:10 target and so I am GFA for VLM 2016.

Full report tomorrow on the sub 3;15 threadtomorrow (SG, thanks for the pop in and good wishes) but the synopsis is fast start (that was unexpected!) so halfway in about 1:32 and 20 in 2:19:10 so inside 7 minute pace. Got tough over the last few laps so some of that is down to the start but also the wind got stronger and stronger and the field got thinner and thinner.

• Options

Well done Phil.

Having spent the vast majority of my weekends on airfields I can attest to the wind. I saw the course on Strava and guess that you had some mental strength as well as strong legs. That time is good enough for Boston.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Nicely done Philip - first target acquired!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Great work Phil, comfortably ahead of the target, and job done, qualification reached.

When I got your text for one ugly moment I had to remember if 3.05 or 3.10 was GFA, but shouldn't have worried, you had your plan and brought it off very nicely.

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Well done Phil, and tip of the hat to Bus for "curmudgeonly belts".  image

• Options
    Well done Phillip! Was glad to see it fall into place

Again good training about. SGs 3m session the stand out and also rubbed of on me as I attempted it Friday. Dachs does mid 16 5km inbetween some more miles and Dean cruises 5:20 miles - swift stuff

IC - nice 50mile ride

Dachs - have you ever thought about a 2nd claim club as a back up for events that your club miss? Joe wade (lad I know / trained with yonks ago) just came on for Southampton so he can run some of the SAL as aldershot aren't involved and it's local for him

PP- gutted to miss Eastleigh but will probably be watching and doing a steady run before hand. Maybe see you at the southerns, will be on a later long leg by the looks of things as I'm coming straight from the IOW and driving up
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    Oh nearly forgot the men in form!

Jonny D well done today just seen the results! And Mahammed again winning English schools title!
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Had a few pages to catch up here, some entertaining posts!

Well done Philip. Good sessions others. I tried a run yesterday but had to stop after 4 miles with stomach cramps, Walked in from a couple of miles out. Also missed today's ride as still felt shite. All in all a crap (literally and metaphorically) week with just 9 miles running and no cycling.

I am contemplating offering my services as a pacer for someone (maybe the sister-in-law) next week, rather than just missing the race. Can't see much value in racing it.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Great running Phil, well inside target, and props for hanging on in the wind when it got tough. Is that the most low key marathon race report we've ever had on here? Good to see you'll be back for VLM next year.

Nice reps Dean, especially off that recovery.

Sorry to hear the run didn't go well Andrew.

My day went downhill rapidly after my decent run, and I spent the remainder of the day in the grips of what I suspect is norovirus. Feeling a little less rotten now, and haven't thrown up for a good 7 hours, but still not good enough to get out of bed.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Not very nice at all Dachs - speedy recovery! Good job you got your long run in yesterday.

Andrew - probably a week to forget!

LSR today - but the S stands for speedy this weekimage. Didn't know what to expect after a full effort parkrun yesterday - last time the LSR was dead slow. Just got quicker and quicker today - one of those where it felt effortless (mostly!). 15.2M very hilly off-road at 7:43 pace (1:57). Doesn't sound quick, but to put it onto context, it was 20 mins quicker than 3 weeks ago and my fastest off-road training run of that distance ever!  I put it down to listening to reacquainting myself with Kraftwerk's Autobahn and Tour de France albums image

• Options
    Dachs wrote (see)
    Great running Phil, well inside target, and props for hanging on in the wind when it got tough. Is that the most low key marathon race report we've ever had on here? Good to see you'll be back for VLM next year.

Go read the war and peace version on the sub 3:15 thread.

• Options
    Stevie G wrote (see)

Great work Phil, comfortably ahead of the target, and job done, qualification reached.

When I got your text for one ugly moment I had to remember if 3.05 or 3.10 was GFA, but shouldn't have worried, you had your plan and brought it off very nicely.

3:05 is GFA for youngsters. For us older farts it is 3:15 and quite possibly 3:20 depending on how you read the rules (so I will be 50 for VLM 2016 even though I ran the time aged 49).

• Options
    The Bus wrote (see)

LSR today - but the S stands for speedy this weekimage. Didn't know what to expect after a full effort parkrun yesterday - last time the LSR was dead slow. Just got quicker and quicker today - one of those where it felt effortless (mostly!). 15.2M very hilly off-road at 7:43 pace (1:57). Doesn't sound quick, but to put it onto context, it was 20 mins quicker than 3 weeks ago and my fastest off-road training run of that distance ever!  I put it down to listening to reacquainting myself with Kraftwerk's Autobahn and Tour de France albums image

This is how speedy it was: "Uh oh! You just lost your CR on Downley Road Climb to Dave Roberts by 17s"

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Oops,Sorry Philip image

Now for the 3.15 thread epic!

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Well done again Phil! You make it seem effortless.

Nice long run too Bus. We all search for that effortless feeling during races. Rarely happens though!

Ran the county champs 10 miler today. Target was a sub 54 even though my PB was a very soft 56.04. Settled in 3rd pretty much from the off on what was a two lapper up and down the prom in Blackpool/bispham. Bit of wind with it being on the sea front but nothing to really put a dent in my hopes. That said, at mile 3 I had a bit of company tucked in right behind me using me. I then spent the next 100m or so zigzagging across the promenade, whilst semi serious about him pissing off it was also a bit of tom foolery, which looks like it bit me on the arse!

5 mile in 26.50 and comfortably in 3rd now but a way off 2nd. 10k up in 33.10 or so which bearing in mind I was on my arse last week for 20 odd seconds quicker! Funny old game. I went through 8 miles in 43.00 on the nose and it was starting to bite. 2 mile in sub 5.30 pace and I was hopefully there. The only thing stopping me was the incline from the bottom prom up to the top prom which I knew would slow me a tad. 9th mile was 5.26 I think and into the 10th I had company off a lad and dad on their bikes. Cycling next to me then pulling in front the little berk then cycled straight in front of me as I was about to go past him. I gave him a loud 'which way do you want?!' But definitely knocked me out of my stride. Hurt myself going for the line and had 53.59 on my watch for it. Asked the time keeper for confirmation but was told it was 54.00. Bronze medal and although a solid run I'm a bit miffed it's not a 53.XX
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Bit of a bugger that Matt! Still a fantastically quick run though, so not to be sniffed at!!! Nice one.

• Options

Good run there Matt, shame about the bikes.

Interesting point with the etiquette of sitting on a shoulder and the whole debate of what to do. It is obviously a race and so I feel justified in sitting on a shoulder and getting as much help as I can but if someone asked me to not do so, I would, and in the same manner if I asked someone to politely "get the fuck out of my arse" I hope they would do the same. A lot of it is down to feel. Some people can snuggle up close and they are fine, others have swingy round arms etc and clip your heels.

• Options

Good LSR Bus. Wir fahren fahren fahren auf der autobahn!

Sounds like an interesting race Matt, shame about the time but a bronze medal is good in my books. I've sat on people's shoulders and recall on time at Dorney in particular. The guy was obviously getting pissed off but didn't day anything. I needed the windbreak until we got to the end of the lake and changed direction. Bye bye!

So Dean, AG and Dachs have been out for the count. I hope something isn't catching on here.

1hr on the bike followed by 5m run at exceedingly low HR. I thought this would be almost walk pace but it came out somewhere near the normal easy pace.

I also find out today we have a 5km/10km run club champs on the 4th April, 2 days before a 25mi TT. Not sure I can commit to both.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

fahren? I always thought it was fun, fun, fun!! Wondered why they were mixing English and German image. Perfect song to start a long run with - starts fairly slowly then just bowls along for 22 mins. I listened to it 3 times on today's run!  Elektro Kardiogram was interesting -  it matched my breathing exactly image

Using someone as a windbreak in a race is fair play - just need to take your turn like in a peloton....

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Interestingly I've had it done to me before where the lad was that close he didn't see a barrier and went head first to the deck, I waited and then got done in a sprint. Strangely enough, the lad who fit it took a big fall when doing one of the turns and went from 4th to 5th.

It must be bad luck!
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Good run Phil. Job done, very handy. Let us think of the envious masses as you achieved the keys to the gates of the GFA pen at London, with a training run.

And another good one from Matt. Yes, bikes can be a pain at times, I met a few yesterday in Bath.

Get well soon Dachs. Seems to be the bane of faster runners, they turn themselves inside out in more ways than one.

My training was in Bath yesterday, and according to Strava, I'm 5th on the list for the Bathwick Hill Complete section. Not bad considering I was simply holding a good pace towards the end of a ten miler. 

Mixing training between running and biking. The biking readout indicates about 10 minutes to burn 100 kcals. My running miles burn about 96 kcal apiece.

So feeding in 96 kcals as the Running Equivalent (RE) miles, I've averaged 135 miles per week for the past six weeks (74 miles av running).

Feeling fairly fit at the moment.

🙂

• Options

Nice one Matt - I went over on my arese at the Nene Valley ten and finished with blood down my arm..one of those slightly frosty mornings and took a turn too quickly on green tarmac! Great time though!

Great stuff Phil and good running Bus. Yes I feel theres a wave of stomach bugs at the moment, hoping to give it the swerve..hope you feel better Dachs!

Weird weekend here - watched the missus do the MK parkrun and then the plan was a long run back to LB (about 12 miles). But had to be leaving ours again at 11.15 as we had a dinner to go to. As per, had to stop for a dump halfway, took ages to find somwhere, so had to tempo the last 5 back home! (we were 30 mins late for the meal!!)

Nothing yesterday, as had my lad with me all day so went to London. Went to the pub sat pm to watch the rugby too and had about 6 pints..felt to rough to get up and run a interval session at 7am. Feel quite fresh today though, hoping to try and keep it like this until Sunday and Reading 1/2.

• Options

There is something going round, but also as we get lighter and fitter we also reduce our immunity to bugs, etc. Especially in the days following a race or hard session.

1hr easy on the bike outside. Despite the rain it was nice to get out there.
    I was late in going out as my alarm kept going off and I kept snoozing. In one I dreamt that I'd been out on the bike already and had a great ride. Of course I woke again to the realisation I still had to go out.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

a well executed mara phil, as is your calling card. congrats

matt, fast 10m, looking good for a PB at salford

this week keeping everything on the easier side of things as i have wilmslow half on sunday.  Not done nearly enough suitable training for a half but will be fun im sure.

• Options
    Simon Coombes 2 wrote (see)

Nice one Matt - I went over on my arese at the Nene Valley ten and finished with blood down my arm..one of those slightly frosty mornings and took a turn too quickly on green tarmac! Great time though!

It never ceases to surprise me just how far a little blood can go. I did a long run the other day in rain and mud and got a small scratch from a bramble on one leg but by the time I was home, it looked like I had been dragged through the trenches. If I forget the Vaseline on a wet day I can come home with a top showing two enormous comedy bright red boobs.

• Options

Agree Phil - as per usual got blood on my leg just trying to have the sneaky dump on Saturday!! I've still got blood stains on the free water bottle I got after the Nene Valley race!

Dean - Half marathon is waay to far for a track bunny like you mate, I wouldn't bother image **oh god the pressure is on for Sunday now** Seriously - what time you going for?

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

simon - to be honest i need to make my mind up on that. and its a good reminder for me to go onto a pace calculator so i know what pace is needed.  as i havent been training for it its not like i have been aiming at a specific pace. not entirely sure why i am doing it.  i did notts off the back of a track season in sept and hit a 73.xx when i did a fair amount of tomfoolery high fiving the crowd/cheerleaders etc  so i would hope to get a sub 73.

Lets put it another way, if i had had the winter season you have just had i would be aiming for sub 72 minimum.  hows that for some pressure image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Take it easy under the weather boys. No doubt that mix of kids and really pushing yourselves can take its toll. Looks like some big performances coming this weekend!

Phil - even more comfy a performance than I thought then!

Fairly bad drive up to the United game yesterday. Motorway junctions down, police vans popping up on bridges causing that standard doubt. And worst of all, only meeting the supplier who were treating us to freebies at 3.15, when the meet up time was 1.30!

I can't pretend the 15mins we were waiting outside watching the clock tick down, constantly ringing them on redial, were much fun!

I wish I knew my names of pastas a bit better too. As the "Filling" sounding version I opted for was actually some stringy nonsense that wouldn't have satisfied a thin kid after a 3 hour McDonalds binge. Whilst watching my pal tuck into what looked like a glorious roast beef huge plateload image

Still...bizarrely fresh 6miler done and dusted. Which surprised me, as when we stopped at some services on the way up, it took me 2-3mins to limp out the seized up glute.

Bearing in mind all I did after that was drive another 280miles and sleep it really must have been one of those things!

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Morning LSR done. I crammed my key pocket with Andrex, just in case. Thankfully It wasn't needed and I managed an uneventful, easy, and slightly muddy 14 miles off road. A few hills thrown in as well as a few miles along the Thames made for a nice run, despite the weather. 

Get well soon, Dachs.