Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

after no track sessions in so long, did a second in 5 days! Have realised that despite this track being an extra 5miles or so away, it's actually a fair bit quicker to get to work from as it doesn't need a traffic heavy slog through town.

4x1mile at HMP. Although didn't bother with the 9metres extra, so 1600s today. (add 2 secs on to give the mile pace)

Actual zone is 5.45-5.50, so 1.26 laps would be 5.46 pace.

2dp laps as below

1. 1.25,1.25,1.25,1.26
    2. 1.25,1.24,1.26,1.24
    3. 1.25,1.25,1.24,1.24
    4. 1.23,1.25,1.25,1.24

Added up the exact 100s of a second like an anorak and full stats as below

Total 1600 rep     Average lap    Mile pace (1600 actual +2sec)

1.   5.42.96                 1.25.74        5.45
    2.   5.40.90                 1.25.23        5.43
    3.   5.39.46                 1.24.86        5.42
    4.   5.38.90                 1.24.73        5.41

so that went quite nicely,all in zone and creeping faster, and without trying to, a slight progression in pace.

• SG, rule for laps is the same as half marathons, so 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 1:31, 1:32, 1:33 (second/minutes or minutes/hours).

Good session. Much more training over that 5 bar gate and we will have to enter you into steeple chase, or did you use the back entrance today?

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Good to see the long run comeback Andrew!

Nice session that SG, and progressively quicker per mile.

Where do you park for that track? Thinking of going there tomorrow.

Back to normal today after Sunday's blinder! Slow, and slightly achy hip and back (both of which caused by Sundays over exuberance no doubt!)

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

good session SG - What recovery?   

to be honest i think all progression comes from interval training on the track and im suprised when its not a staple in everyones training plan.  though i guess i am biased.image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

90secs, forgot to mention that in all the calculations! 

Certainly more comfortable like that then the 30secs version the other week, that was on the road as well. That was a gnat's gnidger under 5.50 average and holding on.

Agree Dean on the track. Have missed having one available. Obviously the lovely smooth consistent surface, but also like Ric said ages ago, it's that knowledge that you can work hard without being smashed by traffic or obstacles!

I think I'd still do 200s on a pavement stretch I have nearby, but even 400s up I'd probably track. Mile reps are super tough to hit on the roads round here.

Phil, had a wade through the interesting sludgy grass round the back way! Feels more dignified then hurdling fences!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry bus, didn't see your post on the work screen, but on the phone it's there.

I tend to park in Marlow for a nice warmup.

I'm sure you could park down the country lane next to it if time is short, or even opposite up winchbottom
  • DeanR7 wrote (see)

simon - to be honest i need to make my mind up on that. and its a good reminder for me to go onto a pace calculator so i know what pace is needed.  as i havent been training for it its not like i have been aiming at a specific pace. not entirely sure why i am doing it.  i did notts off the back of a track season in sept and hit a 73.xx when i did a fair amount of tomfoolery high fiving the crowd/cheerleaders etc  so i would hope to get a sub 73.

Lets put it another way, if i had had the winter season you have just had i would be aiming for sub 72 minimum.  hows that for some pressure image

Yeah, not bad image Well I had better hit 73.xx at least then!

Think I will do some miniute intervals tonight, steady wednesday and I think we have some 400's on the track to do Thursday night. Track is ok on the legs and got decent recovery time. Famous last words!

Good session Stevie. Yes I would always have one track session in every week throughout the year if I could. It would go in there with the LSR as an essential part of a training week.

• Nice run AG. Maybe you need an ultra runner's backpack full of things just in case.

Nice reps SG. PMJ - can you explain what you mean in your rule?

Dean - I agree; whenever I have had a consistent period of track training I have made gains.

So 5x800/90s for me. A bit of a test as they were billed as faster than 5km pace (3m02/800m). I was hoping for some breakthrough as it's been a while since I've used a track and hoped the accurate distance would help.

400m #1     400m #2      Total
    1    01:28.42    01:30.35      02:58.77
    2    01:31.29    01:31.02      03:02.31
    3    01:34.10    01:29.57      03:03.67
    4    01:36.30    01:31.63      03:07.93
    5    01:35.72    01:32.33      03:08.05

Plan was to do the first 400m slower and second 400m faster. Lack of track pacing led to overcooking the first. The positive here is that regardless of the poor pacing for the first 400s, the seconds are better.

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Iron - I've made my views on bumbags perfectly clear before, I'll have to rely on Ray Mears style improvisation instead. I plan to hit the track tomorrow and regular sessions are definitely part of my plan as we approach the Tri season. I am looking forward to focusing on 5k & 10k.

Managed to get out on the bike this morning for a quick spin. A smidgen under 40 miles up in 2 hrs at 19.5mph. My cycling is definitely stronger than last year, when I got back I realised both the front and rear brake pads were rubbing on the rims!

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Simon - Come on fella, sub-73 surely!  There might be a Kent vest or two to help drag you round.  Not mine though, Dachs is on hunger strike till I break sub-33 for 10k on the road, so I'll be at Eastleigh.  image

• IronCat5 wrote (see)

PMJ - can you explain what you mean in your rule?

Rule is simple. Say you run a half marathon in 1 hour 29, you get to say 89 minutes and don't say hour at all. If you are so slow you need 1 hour 31, you are made to say hour. Say for laps, anything under 90 seconds you can say without saying minutes, over 90 seconds and you have to say minutes.

Isn't my rule, others use it as well. Look here: and they cut off at 100.

99:59    97:47    Corinna O'Connor  
    1:40:01    98:41    Mark Duckworth

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Phil, I think you made that rule up.

One thing I will say though, is I notice the fast runners list their time in minutes... I can remember Dai Roberts saying he'd done a "73" aged 45.

However, I still list my times as 1hr and mins...maybe that's a lot down to mixing with non runners.

• OK, got it. I seem to change between using mimages and ss.

I did wonder if you were inventing a "PMJ 400" equivalent of a Yasso 800. If you want a 72 minute HM then do your 400s in 72s.

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

I agree all 1hr 30 + uses the hour, I think it then becomes optional down to 70/1:10. Sub 70 then becomes minutes only.

I will stick with using 1hr something until I break 70 minutes image .

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

im with PMJ.   minutes until 1hr 31

likewise with laps as no one quotes their 800m pb as 119 seconds

• Tom Williams on marathon talk quotes his mile PB as 4 minutes 60 point 3.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I would say 'one hour twenty-one' out loud, but would write 81 mins.*

*casually leaving off the seconds.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Bloody dogs!!! Bitten on the way home - nice big bite on the leg out of proportion to the size of the dog! What made it worse was that it belonged to two runners!!!

I was also in a desperate hurry to get home as going out in a mo, so couldn't stop to get their details. I've also had 45 mins of pumping maky dog salive round my blood stream as it was right at the start. She did say "he's never done anything let that before" and then followed it up with "he'll go for anything"!!!! I ask yer....

I'll change all my half times to mins then...

• I just start with a bold 70 and blur everything after that

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

i'm not changing my anorak spreadsheet of times whatever you lot say, so there image

Bus, what do you do that invites so many of these bite incidents.

On a serious note though, those owners will be fretting, as I'm sure you could make life very dangerous for their mutt if you wanted to

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

I tell everyone that my half PB is either 4298 seconds, or 0.00014 years.

The stopping at 90 minutes rule makes no sense.  Stopping at 99 I can see, because you've got yerself another digit there, but why you stop at 90 I fail to understand.

I sympathise with the dogs.  I've only met Bus twice, but I felt like biting him, he just looked so tasty.

No running again for me today.  Back at work and stuff, but still feel a little dizzy and lethargic.  No point pushing it.

• Dachs wrote (see)

The stopping at 90 minutes rule makes no sense.  Stopping at 99 I can see, because you've got yerself another digit there, but why you stop at 90 I fail to understand.

It's not supposed to make sense: it just is. Same as we race 100m, 200m, 400m, 800m (spot the pattern yet?) and then 1500m. FFS, why not 1600m? 5k and 10k make some sort of sense, but a half marathon at 21,097.5 m is plain silly. We should have 5k, 10k, 20k and 40k.

• PO10 has my HM PB as 98mins. Dachs wins.

Bus is obviously kicking out some serious dog pheromones.

PMJ - Europe has metricated races distance - 10, 15, 30, km etc.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    PhilipMJones wrote (see)

It's not supposed to make sense: it just is.

Sounds like a religious argument.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Dachs image  Either I smell like a sausage, or it may have soemthing to do with most of my runs starting and finishing in fields and woods next to lots of houses where doggy types live. Won't stop bleeding though, and plasters don't work on my hairy legs

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    You should've volleyed the little bastard Bus and said 'sorry, I don't usually kick the shit out of dogs'

I either use the 71 or say one, eleven. Sometimes say it's the continuous boiling of 23.66 eggs. The last one is a bit runny/dippy.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

I tried Matt, but it was too quick for me!!

I totally agree about the 1500m Philip - I mean, why??? Just doesn't make sense (leaving aside the metric nonsense and the original Iffley Rd track being 300m)

Went to see Cirque Berserk tonight. Highlight was 4 blokes on motorbikes inside a metal cage on a stage all doing 60mph!!! Not much room for error in there image

Anyway - SG/Philip, where do I park for the new track then??

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

scroll back a few pages son..the answer has been revealed...

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    PhilipMJones wrote (see)

It's not supposed to make sense: it just is. Same as we race 100m, 200m, 400m, 800m (spot the pattern yet?) and then 1500m. FFS, why not 1600m? 5k and 10k make some sort of sense, but a half marathon at 21,097.5 m is plain silly. We should have 5k, 10k, 20k and 40k.

Personally I love the idiosyncrasies  of having 1500m, Marathon etc. They reveal a history to the sport that would otherwise be forgotten. If you understand the history of the sport, which I am sure we all do, then it makes perfect sense. Whether it is convenient is another matter. 

• How's the leg today Bus. Were you howling at the moon last night?