Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

typical race week session for me last night.  8*600m off 200m jog.  Targeting sub 1min 50s per rep.  A mix of 1,52s in there but felt really leggy and tired...no bounce or possibility of going faster.  taking today as rest and then maybe a 200m session tomorrow.

Bus - stop getting bit by dogs.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dean - I'd say that's a given you'll now smash that half then! Do you normally do 200s so close to a race though?

Dachs, love the 0.00014 of a year by the way!

It's that last chance "use or lose" holiday period at my work, so took a random half day today following Wycombe's 20th consecutive non win at home in the league on a non  Saturday (if that follows!) 3 years without winning a game outside a Saturday!

Just eased a 6miler in. No alarms, no surprises.

• Yeah bit of a suprise that draw. No suprise that a Prem ref (Lee Mason) coming down to the Championship had a stinker last night at Cardiff - Bmth. Callum Wilson gets the ball booted at him (he had his back turned), so Callum follows it up and scores. Goal dissallowed amd he gets booked too!

Anyway - some steady ish 4 x 800 (or 2 mins) in Regents park yesterday and just to and from steady today (8m total). Track session tomorrow and then rest up for Sunday..

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

I was OK Iron, but feeling a bit ruff now....(actually, seems OK now and has stopped bleeding, and hopefully no infection. The wound is surprisingly deep though given it hardly even looked like it had broken skin when I showed it to the owner - typical!)

Dean - I'll try my hardest!This was the first proper bite for a while - it's the owners that have been the feistiest of late image My brain doesn't compute 600s well, but those still look quite tasty!

SG - funnily enough, I never get that problem with holidays image . Two weeks until the first one of the FY!

Didn't get to the track today - ran out of time, so will head out for an easy XC in a bit and try and do reps tomorrow lunch instead.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

you do more holidays than running!

12 this morning, 2seconds under 1hr 24, so fairly nicely timed.

Look forward to a jacket potato with tuna n mayo now. Nice.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Dean. they still look pretty decent 600s to me.  Lethargic and leggy the week before a half marathon is pretty standard fare really.

Glad you haven't gone rabid Bus.

Managed to run again for the first time since Saturday last night.  It was a track session, so I did a limited set of 800s.  Idea was to start at HMP and work through the paces a bit.

2:44

2:42

2:30 (feeling distinctly like second gear, so a bit surprised with the time)

2:32 (lots of traffic)

2:25

Seems OK.  We'll see how we go re Sunday.  Having run too many half marathons ill and deeply regretted them, I have made a rule that I need to have felt absolutely 100% for 2 whole days prior to Reading, otherwise I have to either DNS or do it as some kind of reduced effort.  That sounded fine a few days ago, but I'm still a fraction lightheaded today, so hope it's finally departed by tomorrow.

• Good shorter sessions there from everyone - Good idea to wait and see Dachs. Stomach bugs are so draining running wise, seem to affect the body for ages..

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

That's can't be true SG - my holidays always involve running image nice 12...

Dachs - glad you are on the mend. Hopefully all clear for reading. Those 800s seem pretty sharp from where I'm sitting!

Reps for me just now. Did a new distance to me, with 4 x 1200 at target 10k pace, off 400m rep, making 7M altogether with wu/d. Tried to focus on keeping it consistent throughout the rep and actually quite enjoyed them! Will do 5 next time. 4:24, 4:23, 4:23, 4:22

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

nice reps bus, get you! trying something other than 800m rep session.image

hopefully you are fit for the weekend Dachs. 

is it just simon, dachs and myself racing this weekend?

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I might well be doing a 15 mile fell race with 3500ft of ascent in it. Sort of been talking myself out of it as I've not ran on the fells for a long while, 3500ft added into the mix will leave me in a bad way just 5 days before the relays.

Did the race a couple of years ago and loved it though.

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I'll be out Sunday (Middlesex Vets).

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Do it Matt - you know you want to!

Trouble is with 1200s is it seems I cocked up the pacing!

A certain geek of this parish has made me aware that those times are only just sub 37 10k pace image

As I only decided on 1200s when I got there and hadn't worked out the times, I used the GPS to pace - which came out at 5:45-5:43 per mile. Generally the GPS has given me pretty spot on 800s at this track, so I didn't really think about it. It seems though, that the GPS measured each 1200 as 0.76-0.77M, which is about 24m long, so I was actually running about 5:52 pace. No wonder it seemed comfortable!

So, next time out they'll need to be sub 4:18!  800s are so much easier image

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Still a good a good session Bus.

Good luck Ric on your race.

Tried a session last night on the road but canned it after 1 rep. Was hoping to do 4-5x1 mile but had nothing in my legs, quads felt really heavy. 40 miles in the previous 3 days since the race and a 10k threshold in 34 mins on tues seems to have taken it's toll. My left hip started hurting on the run home and when walking and holding it, it makes a popping sound/feeling.

If I do the fell race it'll be 5 races in 5 weeks with the relays next weekend then Salford after. Prob best left well alone I think.
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Smart decision matt

2*5*300m with 60 secs rec and 5min between sets.  Target 51 secs but ave came in 49 and felt controlled.  Happy with them particularly as I was holding off a bit and not pushing them.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

What are you doing up at that hour Dean?  I think it's fair enough to be happy with those...

Matt, sounds sensible.  A fell race on a niggle sounds like just about one of the worst ideas going.  Hope it's nothing.

Bus, if the effort felt right then the session was good, regardless of times.

• I've only ever done a couple of 1200 reps. I find then much more pleasant that 800s. Good efforts all round though.

5:30 must be normal fare for those that train in the morning. I was out before 6 yesterday for 90minutes on the bike.

I'll be at Maidenhead's inaugural parkrun on Saturday for a hard 5km, with a bike ride either side.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

iron, surely they're only pleasant if you're doing them at a slower pace than the 800s!

Dean - casually super fast as always

Dachs - what's your thoughts on sunday now?

• Stevie G wrote (see)

iron, surely they're only pleasant if you're doing them at a slower pace than the 800s!

I wouldn't fancy doing them at faster than 800 pace!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Stevie G wrote (see)

Dachs - what's your thoughts on sunday now?

I feel OK today.  I'm running, unless anything happens between now and then.

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Good luck to everyone racing over the weekend. 

Did an easy 20m on the bike and a track session on Wednesday. 5 x 1km reps off 200 jog, done a bit faster than HMP. It was supposed to be faster than 5k pace but I thought I'd dial it down a bit with Reading this weekend. I want to try and be 'five-sharp'.

Took a rest day Thursday and just been for 5.3m easy with a few strides thrown in. Icing my calf at the moment, bit sore after my run. I am sure Sunday will trash it!

• Good reps Bus, Dean  and Dachs, Matt - hope the hip is nothing serious.

The boss is off this week, so couldn't sneak off early to Luton, so did 11 x 70 secs efforts in Regents Pk with 45 secs recovery..seemed ok and quite fresh. The missus has just done a taping course as she is doing remedial sports massage (did the level 5 last year)..so she went to town with the sticky tape on my foot to try and help with a bit of planar down the outside of my right foot - seems to have helped a bit.

Quiet running to and from work today..

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Nice and quick reps Dean!

Wanted to do Maidenhead pr, but unable to this week unfortunately image

Dachs/Matt - of course, you are right about the session. Incidentally, given the vagaries of GPS, how does everyone pace themselves on track reps? Presumably a combination of lap times and feel?

Very sluggish run in this morning, so just as well tomorrow is a rest day. Some nice Paris smog to breathe on the way home tonight! Might feel a bit warm too image

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Bus, I just use a £20 Decathlon stopwatch on the track.  It's done the job for years.

• I use the 100m lines to adjust pace. I know what I need to hit at those points.
  • I use my Garmin Bus but have it on "stopwatch mode" so I just see the timer mainly, I normally pre plan paces / times I want to hit with the breakdowns every 100 / 400 so easy to keep track off.

Some more good training going on but sorry to hear you've been poorly Dachs, hopefully won't hamper Reading and the downtime works in your favour

Dean - must be nice to be running inside targets this early, was only the other week that you were missing paces..

I'll be at Eastleigh Sunday watching and then starting cutback week and then relays week later
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

scott, with the short stuff im usually good for hitting paces...my recent dramas were with slightly longer reps. 

reps on the track i just turn off the auto lap function (if im doing a mile rep) and just use the garmin normally.  what ever session im doing i will always break the rep down into sections and use them to regulate my pace. 

so doing those mile reps on saturday, my target pace was 5.24 which is 81 secs per lap.  so i work out the rep in 200m sections.  so i will set targets to get to 200 in 38 secs, 400 in 78 secs, 600 in 1.59, 800 in 2.41 and so on.  and if any point im ahead or behind i use the next 200 to get it back on track.

if im doing shorter stuff say 300m reps like last night, coach will blow a whistle on 32 secs so we can work out if we are up or down and to sort it out.

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

The lights are so shite at Bracknell I can't read my watch, I am addicted to having GPS but could do with a second watch with a big display and a light permanently on.

• My Garmin 310 has adjustable lighting that I leave on for night-time track. It's harder when the lights are out and you can't see the finish line!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

I sue the stopwatch on the garmin and time laps for 400 and 800m, but wondered how you know during the lap what pace you are going more than anything - probably become to reliant on the gps!  I like to record the distance though.

By the way, meant to say Matt - probably the right decision by the sound of it!

Anyway - unbelievably I was bitten by a dog AGAIN tonight!!!! Only only a nip, but still broke skin - exactly the same place as on the other leg too. Can't udnerstand it! Must be my sausage aftershave or something, though all three dog incidents recently I've been wearing  an orange top, so maybe that annoys them? Again it was only a small dog, with no warning to take evasive action and the owner was really apologetic - she was a young girl and quite distraught!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

bus, you just get a feel for it from frequent track stuff. I do a little similar to what Dean explained, but perhaps not as much.

ie if I'm doing an 800-1600,i'll check the time by the first 200, then at the end of each lap.

Normally it's "ooh little too fast" at 200, relax it down a little and then, "hmmm it's dead on pace now". Which gives you an incentive to make sure you don't slip down.

Needless to say what feels "comfy-ish" on lap 1 gets less so thelonger into the rep, but that's the game!

Bus, bad news...although it is starting to sound a bit like the woman I used to work with who seemed to always have people "drive into her". After a certain amount of these, you do start to wonder if it's something she's doing image