Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    IronCat5 wrote (see)

My Garmin 310 has adjustable lighting that I leave on for night-time track. It's harder when the lights are out and you can't see the finish line!

This makes me shudder at the memory of doing some lonely reps on Friday nights in winter, freezing cold, can make out the finish line, can just about feel your finger enough to click buttons.

Come to think of it, it reminds me of a particularly stupid old club session, where the guy took us to some random park, in the pitch black, and we were sprinting around.

Bearing in mind I didn't have a clue where the park was, or what obstacles might be hiding, or even whether the grass had any bumps/icy patches etc...it doesn't warrant thinking about now.

Bit like the sprinting around icy corners session, and sprinting towards lit fireworks falling to the floor session.

cripes!

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Let's face it Bus, dogs hate you. I'd get a machete of something and slay them.

I had an Alsatian go for me today, fortunately he was on a lead, the owner was almost pulled over! I still had to dodge the fecker. I have gone past this dog loads of times and this is the first time. I was wearing a bright yellow top. Dogs see colours in a weird way though apparently.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps Bus sorry forgot to ask, do you down pace significantly when you see these dogs ahead? Or are you still at full run pace? Are the dogs simply feeling under threat?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Andy, there used to be a massive Alsatian down a country lane I'd run down occasionally. One of those medium height fences that you were never quite confident it couldn't get over, and I don't think any leash.

The prospect of that dog getting after you down a single lane track was not a good one.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Depends on the dog SG, and what it looks likely to do. generally I end to try and look disinterested and unthreatening, and slow pace right down if that seems the right thing to do,  These last two were small and friendly looking, right up until the bite. The previous one was with runners, so i didn't think it would be spooked by running, and this one tonight was on a lead and looked as soft as you like!

Could be the fluoro top thing Andrew - so, get run down by a car or bit by a dog??

I'm coming to the conclusion that all dogs should have a muzzle on in public places...

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I had an encounter with a dog today but it mainly involved me not noticing I'd accidentally stolen some kids' border terrier as it had decided it would be more fun to come on my run with me than hang around in their driveway waiting to be taken for a walk. I had to stop so it would go home.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

I had that happen in a trail race once. Nice little thing it was - good runner and didn't even try to bite me! I kept calling to the marshals to try and catch it, but despite many trying, none manged to. I thought about stopping, but was in third place with a group not far behind and this was a race dammit! After about 4 miles a farmer shouted at it in a tone that brought it to a halt, caught it. Shame really, as my daughter really wanted a dog at this point and I thought if it managed to stay with me for the whole race I might keep it! At about mile 9 near the finish, I spotted some people shouting for a lost dog and so I directed them to the farmer...

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I'm another for checking at 200/400 like Dean and adjusting pace accordingly.

Bloody hell Bus, I wouldn't bother with the lottery this week! Funnily enough I've had 3 dog incidents in 2 days this week. Firstly a pug chased me and I thought sod it I'll just sprint it off and it'll get fed up. Wrong! The bloody thing caught me within about 20 yards. Luckily the owner said it didn't bite but just liked to chase runners, which is fine if they can guarantee it. They do that ugly, horrible grunting thing round your feet though do pugs. Horrible dogs

The very next day I was warming up and running towards the section where I was planning to do my mile reps which was very near the pug incident. Guess what I bump into? Another bloody pug! I'm pretty certain it was the same one but with the female owner this time so slowed right down and it came up grunting and growling. Once I'd canned my session and was doing a threshold run home I was churning along with a cyclist around 100m or so ahead when a border collie come flying out of a garden at him barking and chasing him, he started screaming and shouting and legs were going like the clappers to get away, I had a bit of a chuckle then realised I'd have to do a dead turn as it spotted me and then started coming my way! Not sure if the sharp turn was where I hurt my hip as it was very shortly after that I felt it.

Another dog tale was when I did the 3 peaks race in 2013. I was in a group of 4 and we had been up and down pen y Ghent and was on the long section towards Whernside. Lots of people line the way cheering you on when a little staffie joined our group. It ran next to one lad and I presumed it knew him/was his dog as nobody said anything and the 3 lads I was with all ran for the same club. It must've ran 4/5 mile with us until we got to the rubble head viaduct! Not sure if the thing got reunited with it's owner, I didn't know Staffies could run as far! Bit of woof luck the owner was having. Sorry.image
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Your uo early Matt! Good luck to all those racing tomorrow - I want to be reading epic tales of derring do and pb's this time tomorrow!

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    That's a lie in by recent form Bus. Good luck to everyone racing tomorrow.
  • Whose racing tomorrow then? Just Dachs / SG? at Reading ? Good luck to whoever is

Can't believe you were bit again Bus - bad luck aswell as bad handling by the owners.. Maybe your copying 'that' scene from "kickboxer" though as extra training and it's not paying off image
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Scott, I have wilmslow half.  

• Oh yeah apologies Dean I remember and AG at Reading

Oops, good luck all around then!
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • I had some interesting dog encounters in France. Mostly based around massive noisy ones with big teeth behind insubstantial fencing.

One in particular seemed to guard the edge of the property very closely but never moved beyond the edge. Gite owners told me there was an invisible fence - I guess some RF thing that stopped the dog going past. I spend all week plucking up the courage to run past the placed but never did.

Once in Calais we were pissed and late to meet the bus to the terminal so we ran and I had to jump over a dog. I also jumped over a dog at Woodley parkrun once.

Anyhow - Maidenhead inaugural parkrun. Great 2 lapper course involving a flat stretch 1km long. Each lap of that has a cheeky wiggle bit at the end culminating in a sharp upflat. That, plus the run in and run out makes for a great course.

The plan said a hard session, so ended up with 4:09 for each km, plus a little kick for the extra 100m at the end.

Good luck tomorrow. Kids are doing the green park challenge.

• Scott - I'm doing Reading too. In full 'Dennis the Menace' kit tomorrow (Herne Hill Harriers). Better go to sleep soon!
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Dogs!

They sense the fear, innate hate and aggression given off by runners, when you are barely in view. They can smell it.

How else does a dog become aware of another dog when its out of sight behind a close boarded fence 50 yards away. It's their evolutionary sixth sense.

Depending on your true demeanor; total indifference in my case, you are either a threat, or a potential prey victim.

Sad to say, if you are what you are and cannot change, then once bitten and chased after, it will always be so. Take dog repellent and fight the owners in court.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

What and spray every dog that comes within 6 feet? The two this week gave no sign of aggression until their teeth were in my leg, and it would have been hard to have been anymore indifferent to them! Oh, and right now I'd be fighting three court cases, so wouldn't have much time to go for a run!

I am not scared of dogs - I guess it's just that my legs look like they have a bit more meat on them than yours Ric image

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Right, 15M LSR done and dusted to make 55 for the week. Not as quick as last week, but still a fair bit faster than average for the route Adductor a bit sore, but back and hip fine and no dog bites so mustn't grumble!

So where are these race reports then?! 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Race reports!

Here's a slice of mine: Sub 5:50 pace on the flat, 6:15 pace going down hill, 7:30 pace going across broken rutted ground. 

I have run my last XC. That's a bolted down promise.

I'm also not doing any race from mid October to April. That's a promise too. 

F****g freezing cold XC! wasn't even tired. My muscles just wouldn't work.

🙂

• Ugh. Here we go, but won't be that long! Reading half. Tried to keep to 5.36's and see what happens. Was running with my mate Pete so that should have helped too. Well we went through 5m on 28.10 which was ok, but I was starting to feel a bit warm and the quads aching a bit! Pete left me on 6 and I was on my own so to speak. Chucked some water over my head and felt a bit better. So through reading town centre in miles 7-8 then a big hill out of town, which really hit me. 9-10 was the toughest and my guts started to gripe too, which was a worry, speed really dropped off. Still went through 10 on 56.25. So as usual in a half I felt a bit better in the last 3 miles, although I thought the stadium entry would never come! Just dipped under 74 with 73.45..so a PB but tougher than I thought it would be, I suppose I was hoping for a bit better, but hey ho I just think I'm suited to shorter races. Saw Dachs I think at the start.

Just seen Dean did 72.00 at Wilmslow- amazing and what a range of ability. God I hate himimage
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Simon Simon! First rule of race day reports on Stevie G thread is you don't give the game away on someone else's time!!image

But, seeing as though he's had a blinder, and there's some fast stuff out there, I best get my report in there now!

ps Simon, still a quality time obviously!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

You need to spend the winter racing in Spain or something Ric!

Good time that Simon - PBs are supposed to feel tough image (if I remember right that is!!).

Dean has a bit of talent that's for sure!!!!

Keep 'em coming!

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Having had disrupted sleep Friday night I went to bed at 8pm last night! Up at 6am and I felt pretty good. Arrived at the stadium and just when it came time to strip down to race gear the mercury seemed to rise and for once I stood comfortably in my vest.

Had a quick jog round Green Park and saw Dachs coming the other way doing his elite warm up, following a quick chat it was time for the obligatory hurdling of the barriers and into the pen behind the elites. I thought it was a 10am start but it was 10.15, for once I was on time. I then had to endure 10 minutes of moronic warm up by some glammed up Mr Motivator who asked everyone to do star jumps, despite us having about two inches of elbow room.

Once the race got started I took it pretty easy, the first mile change is a great improvement and allows you to get into a rhythm before the main hill. I started at a steady pace 5:58, 5:56 and then 6:22 up the hill.

By the time I had got down to the Oracle/town, I was bang on target pace (5:57), having picked up lost time downhill 5:49, 5:54, 5:47, 5:45, 5:55.

We the went up the second hill (6:09) but it seemed to sap a bit of pace and rhythm as the next flat mile was 6:01. Took me to 10 miles in what would have been a PB 59:xx. Mile 11 was 5:54, the last two miles were quite hard exposed and a bit uphill. I struggled to keep the pace under 6mm and had probably not gone hard enough early on as I need a bit more in hand. Last two were 6.03 & 6:02 with the final stretch at 5:20 pace.

The best thing about the race apart from the weather is that bringing the start back a mile or so, I kept thinking I had further to go, as I know the course. As I approached the 8 mile marker it was a pleasant surprise to read it was actually 9 miles!

I finished in 1:18:46, not enough to drop the hour bit but given disrupted prep, I am pretty pleased. Best thing was I feel there's still loads to come off. Think I will target an Autumn half and hopefully get down to 75!

Well done Simon, great time.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

We'll let him off this time SG - after all, a sub 74 is gonna make you a wee bit tired after I guess image

Not gonna spoil your thunder though image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Right, Reading Half. A while back I got a letter saying did I fancy an elite place. I was like..hmmm what's the pb cut off?

Sub 1h 16 pb apparently. Go on then! image 

So not quite "Pulling a Samir", as I qualified, and he was miles off even the reduced qualification needed! So there image

Saw the time go from bein 6 weeks away, to suddenly it being today, and as always can't pretend I fancied it but had some confidence that Wokinghams 77.40 felt more of a tester rather than a smash.

They've changed the route, but I was most looking forward to not having to wade through 16,000 people to get to my zone this year.

I still ended up doing so, taking the wrong route to the start. Got called a dickhead by a slightly focused/grumpy Dachs who was hanging out with his "proper" elite mates and was pretending not to know me image

Change of start is quite underwhelming. Other start has tonnes of supporters lining up, this one seemed to have zero. Reminded me of watching the women's elite field start, always seems very barren!

Was slightly disappointed that the "elite toilets" didn't exist, and were in fact a couple of fields. But I was comfy with that.

Saw my old mate Ben from Bracknell, who basically started right next to me from the zone behind. I'd made dam sure to start at the back of the elite pen. I was quite surprised how many tiny ladies were in it, a lot of which were utterly stampeded early doors.

If the website sub 1hr 10 requirement, which was actually sub 1hr 16 for the men was replicated on the women's side, perhaps the 1hr 20 requirement for women was 1.22-4 or somewhere.

Anyway, Ben had told me, do not start too fast, you'll enjoy it more. Took the words on board, but the start was such a ridiculous wide free for all, I saw a 5.17 at one stage, before easing down a gear. However, was still too near to Ben by mile 1, and he's a sub 1hr 15 man these days.

5.38 first mile, but knew there's a bit of a climb in what is now mile 2. However, 5.48 saw no alarms.

What did cause some alarm, was a much steeper hill then I'd remembered, somewhere In the next 2 miles.

A split of 6.14 and then a 5.51 led me wondering what the heck was going on, and would I even match the 77.40 I thought was a given to beat.

Focused down, and a nice stretch of 5.48,5.44,5.46 saw the doubts away. I definitely saw fairly decent length periods sub 5.40, but to be explained later.

So we were past the Uni, which has a nice downhill stretch, under the tunnel, which apparently I missed some kind of musical number. 

I clocked a mate from Wargrave, who'd beaten me at both the XC and the Wokingham half, but who Ive often beaten and probably (without checking) have faster pbs upto half. It was a real role reversal, as he usually starts slow and finds me later on. He must have really overcooked the first few miles this time.

Caught up with him, and thought he'd be good company for the last 4miles.

There's another hill around 8-9miles somewhere, so saw another over 6min split, but once that's done you know you're almost there.

Unusually for me, I was taking water at every station, having a sip, and drenching my face and head with it. From one bottle it really perked me up.

I clocked my man EOG seemingly struggling a bit, was ahead of him for a bit, and around 10.5miles I rolled up to him and asked him to "see me home". Got a few classic disclaimers, ribs, jogging etc, but the mere sight of my slow ass saw him monster off imageimage

Bizarrely one bottle of water perked me up majorly, and I found

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

myself hitting a nice 5.49,5.50,5.50 spell to blow off my Wargrave man Alistair, and also the lady elite in our threesome.

That power mode lasted right until I saw the last 600m to go sign, which then turned into an absolute dirge. How long can 600metres take. Felt like forever, before hitting that glorious run in.

Saw the clock just tick off the 1.16 for a 1.17.03 official time.

37secs better than Wokey in Feb, and Reading 2014, so it's a bit of progress.

I'm probably lacking a bit of racing spirit though, and there was no doubt some kind of 1.16 there today.

However, 2nd fastest in 25 races, with the 75.41 outlier probably being an unfair measurement, as that was a terrific performance at a time of pure peak racing.

Pleased with the day out though. The "elite" experience was marvellous, my pal from work did something around 1.45 and enjoyed it, albeit it being absolutely wiped out after, and saw some running buds

Got my track back for proper speedsessions now. So look forward to some much shorter races in due course!!

Then an incredible performance from United to beat Liverpool on my return. Fantastic scenes.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

whereas Wokey comes out dead on the distance, it's hard not to notice Reading comes out between 13.22-25.

Perhaps wider roads etc. Average pace came out 5.49 which would be a lovely result, but on 13.1 basis it's a 5.53.

It is what is though!!

For me Wokingham is still definitely the faster of the 2 courses. Even though you have the bridges in the last 3miles, that's usually where you slow anyway. Reading has deceptive hills too early when you're fresher to ruin momentum

Gave a cracking interview to some random reporter, with Alistair. Gave him a ridiculous amount of recorded soundbites, he obviously wasn't aware I get hyped up post race. Poor fella.

Hope that tape doesn't surface anywhere...although I'd be interested to see any printed material!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

AG - good turnout, I'm certain it's just a case of you getting the higher miles and longer runs in from your XC fare.

The clubmate of yours I always get you mixed up with, I saw him monster off and thought, wow AGs having a stormer.

Then remembered it wasn't you, and you might not even be in the TVXC gear anyway.

Iron - ta for the support buddy. For once I both recognised someone, AND remembered after!!

top moment of today was some kid turning to his mum and quoting my surname to her and seeming impressed image

Hopefully he's not on PO10 as we speak realising I'm not quite Mo Farah image

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Wasn't the best day for me at Reading today. The plan was to run consistent 5:27s, so one second per mile under PB pace. Because the first few miles of that PB were very uneven, I hoped that would get me into the last few miles with more in the tank.

The first couple of miles were 5:25 and 5:24, so a little more measured than Wokingham and the right ballpark. The next mile had the big hill in it, and it was tough going, but I was pretty surprised to see 5:50 on the watch for that mile, especially since I wasn't going backwards in terms of position.

At the top of the hill, I just felt drained. Not good 3 miles in. Tried to get the next mile back on pace but it's a 5:38 or so, and I'm struggling. Through the twists of the university campus and I can feel all the energy draining away from me. At this point I know there's no PB in this for me today. A clubmates comes past and I tell him to push on as I'm struggling. I stop watching splits.

Find myself in no man's land a bit, but try to make an honest effort through the town centre. 10k in about 34:20. At least find some consistency, but I've mentally checked out by now and just want it to be over. Hill at mile 8 hurts, and it's all now a big drag, but try to stick with other runners to at least keep me focussed. 

Not sure on the 10 mile split, maybe high 55s. I'm thinking now it's going to be in the 73s, but then checking the mile markers, it seems a mid 72 is still on. Nope, they're coming too early. Desperate to finish now, I enter the stadium as Helen Clitheroe, who I haven't seen since the start line, sprints past to Nick my glory. Can't muster a fast enough finish to dip under 73, so it's 73:03

Disappointed that that's all I could muster on the day, but the strength I had at Wokingham was absent today. Makes me appreciate what a good performance that was. At least I had already nailed that PB this year, and in context my crap run last year was 2 minutes slower than this crap run. Still, 70 feels a long way away.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

commiserations Dachs, although all the best people end in .03s image

You utterly smashed Wokingham, so to go as big again 6 weeks later is a big ask.

Low 73 and feeling drained for most of it. That's just quality!