Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

The Green Belt Relay, set a pb for a HM (average split) on day one, and was run in to second place by some upstart called Jones on day two. I understand that he'd won something called the London Marathon once.

🙂

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Sunglasses and hats are permitted in an ironman marathon, you try running for four hours in 35c sunshine. Unlike the road runners you end up doing your marathon at the hottest time of the year and the hottest time of the day!

I wore a beanie hat in Wokingham HM as did the winner the year before. We both looked awesome.

Football shorts & socks are obligatory in a HM for that guy that runs the first mile in 5.40 and finishes in about 1:50.

I was also pleased with my RHM splits 19:02, 18:09, 18:53, 18:05. I also ran my third fastest 10k in the first half and my second fastest 10k in the second half. I think that's probably my first ever negative split.

Hamstring has improved, did 42 miles on the bike with some hills.

Heading out of Henley up towards Pishill I spotted a Deer running through the fields towards the road. As I tracked its speed and line it seemed to be on a direct collision course with me and my bike.

Surely the thing will put the brakes on? Nope keeps coming, calculations are going through my brain re calculating every fraction of a second, and we're still on course. It approaches the hedgerow and she seems to pause as she spots me coming, and then she seems to say fuck it and goes for it.

Following her are about 8 young deer and they are about to follow. I decided to shout out loud to get them to stop. The Doe is startled and bounds from the middle of the road right over the hedge on the other side about a metre in front of me, quite an impressive feat seen up close. The little ones thankfully take heed of my warning and bolt back the other way, if they hadn't It would have been messy!

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Iron, you are a triathlete. A different set of rules apply where any sense of good taste has been taken out of the equation image

No run at all today - bloody finacial year endimage

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Andrew G wrote (see)

I was also pleased with my RHM splits 19:02, 18:09, 18:53, 18:05. I also ran my third fastest 10k in the first half and my second fastest 10k in the second half. I think that's probably my first ever negative split.

can't have been too bad a hamstring problem if you did your fastest 5k split at the end image. So good news.

• Options
    The Bus wrote (see)

Iron, you are a triathlete. A different set of rules apply where any sense of good taste has been taken out of the equation image

No run at all today - bloody finacial year endimage

Oi! I'll have you know that no self respecting triafleet would be seen dead in a hat. We wear visors. Ha!

I'm sure I could have divided your HM times by 4 to get a rough split, but seeing them written down does make it impressive.

Did an hour easy run this morning.

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Stevie G wrote (see)

can't have been too bad a hamstring problem if you did your fastest 5k split at the end image. So good news.

I reckon those mats were in the wrong place though, there's no way I ran 18:05 15k-20k. Not been able to run yon it et but I hope to run tomorrow or Fri.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I thought I'd remembered last year they had a half way clock, that certainly wasn't half way, as it played mental havoc.

However, the mind does weary with age.

Had somehow missed your epic deer run in! Close one.

Hope your running is back to full capacity soon.

I'm on the usual Thursday day off tomorrow. I'm in that post race hyped up mode where you're gagging to sign up to every race going.

However, I dare say it'll be the exact same Maytime debate I have every single year.

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

The old clock was at the 10k mark, just by the Abbey.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

X post earlier Andrew. Some impressive splits mixed in there!

It's estimated that around 70,000 deer are killed on UK roads each year - obviously mainly by cars rather than triathletes! They do have a weird tendency to just go, as a herd, with seemingly no sense! Unfortunately, they are also quite large animals and over 400 people are also seriously injured in these collisions - still a bit one sided against the deer though!

I know a guy who was driving in Scotland late at night and ended up with a very large red deer stag dead in his passenger seat! As you can imagine, he was pretty shaken up!

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Deers come off worse against cars but ironically dogs fair rather well against a Bus!

I think I need some tri bars to act as protection.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

that's cos the bus only goes slowlyimage

Right, 7 miles in the peeing down rain now!

• Options

Hour on the bike in the rain this morning.

Despite the abundance of lycra I didn't feel like a cyclist, just some guy struggling to ride a bike.Traffic was crap, even at 6am. Wind and rain were annoying and I couldn't wait to get home. On the plus side daughter enjoyed opening all her presents for her 9th birthday. Where did the time go?

At Reading HM last year there was an arch and clock outside Sweatshop on Friar St. I think that was the halfway point.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

They used to have a clock at the 10K point at the Abbey Gateway.  However, last year they also had a "halfway" clock towards the end of Friar Street which was most definitely further on than halfway, and caused many a panic.

Edit: Sorry, missed Iron's post.  As he indicates, it was outside Sweatshop, which may have had more to do with its position than the actual distance.

• Options

Pishill, now that is a favourite of mine. I reckon it is an ideal place to have a 5 mile race, one way, down the valley on the B480 all the way.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

yep, knew I'd remembered it right Dachs.

Tests the mind does Reading.

I alternated from worrying I wouldn't even match my Wokingham time, to seeing 5.35 average pace, so at times didn't really know what was going on

• Options

Interesting thoughts on the sunnies..you need to have a relaxed face if it's a long run I reckon - can't stand squinting into the sun for 13 miles!

Might have a look at the proper Reading results to see if my splits have mysteriously turned up again..

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

My splits were 17:19 / 16:54 / 17:32 / 16:59 with 4:19 for the remaining 1.1 km.  The issue I suggest was the placing of the 20km mat, cos there's no way I was crawling in the last kilometre at 6:18 minute miles, however tired I was.

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Just been for 5m easy/recovery and legs were heavy.

I have decided I want to do VLM next year. I have a decision to make therefore over the next 5 weeks as to whether I run the MK Marathon or not to try for 3:05 GFA. I reckon I have a much better shot at this than sub75 HM in the Autumn.

Iron - Kudos, going out in that this morning, I went yesterday and it was lovely image.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Dachs wrote (see)

My splits were 17:19 / 16:54 / 17:32 / 16:59 with 4:19 for the remaining 1.1 km.  The issue I suggest was the placing of the 20km mat, cos there's no way I was crawling in the last kilometre at 6:18 minute miles, however tired I was.

how slow?

6.18 per mile pace?

Do paces go that slow?

• Options

Andrew G wrote (see)

Iron - Kudos, going out in that this morning, I went yesterday and it was lovely image.

Fecker! image

Make sure the hammy tears are resolved before the MK attempt.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Bloody horrible this morning! Cold and wet! Still, not ran in the rain for a while so can't really complain...

Been feeling a bit fuzzy headed today and have a sore throat, which might explain why I felt slow and lethargic running home tonight. Hope I don't go down with the lurgy just before I head off to the Lakes, especially as the last three times I've been I've either been injured or recuperating!

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Sounds tough Bus, hopes it clears up soon.

Ran in the rain myself today. My trick is to wear two Hellys. Keeps the water off the skin a treat, nice and warm. A baseball cap and gloves helps too.

Lycra shorts to cover the hamstrings and dare I say a dab of vaseline for water proofing exposed bits of skin.

Two pairs of socks finishes the job. 

🙂

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Thanks Ric - me too!

This morning I had a waterproof over a long sleeve thermal top, plus a buff and gloves - more than I've worn all winter!  Too hot for running, but chilled down waiting for the train and walking the other end cold and clammy from everything being soaked in sweat!

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Track last night.   16*200 off 200 jog.  Target 31s.   First 8 were 30.5 ave then sped up slightly so last 8 ave 30.0.    Still not flat out but felt comfortable.   Looking forward to the faster stuff coming up now.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Bus, I've appeared to stop sweating since losing all the flab. Weight at around 120lb's for several weeks now. Of course it could be the 'wind chill' factor keeping me cool. It's the problem I have in winter races. The faster I go the colder I get. It's like I'm on a bike, the way it works.

Dean, good session. And by good I'm referring to the controlled manner of it rather than the resultant numbers. 

I'm having to wait for some heat in the day before putting in the fast stuff. In fact, I'm leaving todays hill session until after mid day. 6 x 500m, jog down recovery.

I used to do this hill in 2 minutes, with 3 minutes to get off my face at the top and get back down. 

🙂

• Options

I was in full on winter kit yesterday, and by 6 minutes in could feel the water entering my shoes.

Today was a world of difference, so went through Windsor great park and the local quiet back roads for 90 minutes. Cracking morning.

Sat off, then a vomit inducing 2mi/10mi/1mi duathlon Sunday.

• Options

Great stuff Dean - I'm prepared to start getting depressed by your faster stuff now - the Half is now history image

We had 10 x 600 at Luton last night, a night where the forecasters say 'breezy'..we say f**king windy..especially up at Luton! Also bizarrely the wind seemed to be against us for 250m..anyway.

I think they were 1.47,1.48,1.49,1.49,1.48,1.50,1.49.*poo stop* 1.51,1.47,1.46. Not too bad considering I suppose. Stomach still hasn't really calmed down since Reading, I think this will eventually see me ditching anything over 10m after Berlin..just not worth the griping!

Still gobsmacked how much Kimpton got for 3rd in race, 1st UK and sub 65 at Reading. Great morning's work...

Just steady 6/7 today to and from work and then to the relays Sunday..

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

big pimping reps as always. 

Simon, chuckled at the pit stop. I used to have such difficultings with those, I became a pro at getting them into the recoveries! Much better these days though thank goodness.

6 with strides done this morn, and 4 at lunch to come.

Tomorrow fuses quality and the long run together. A 13miler progression run ending at HMP.

Ruins the saturday morning lie in, but have a whole stack of time off and footy games to feast upon coming up, so will embrace it!

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

image simon you wil be depressed even further if i mentioned how strong the wind was i had to battle through on those reps.  anyways those 600s look fast to me.  faster than i did them in a few weeks back.  i reckon a fast 5k is coming your way soon.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Simon, those are damn fast 600s the week after a half.  For comparison, I did some 600s on Wednesday.  The first three averaged a shocking 1:58.  After that I stopped timing them for my own sanity's sake.

Dean, a different level of speed as always.