Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Iron Cat.

The club AGM had a massive turn out. Last year it was 12 members, this year it was close to 100!.

The chairman buggered things up by revealing he wouldn't actually be standing for re-electionimage.

So despite the opposition and legal threats to the status quo, it seems that a Sunday afternoon AGM was a clear winner. It was like a party.

Even the most successful runner the club has ever had (Andrea Whitcombe) put in an appearance with her latest baby. 

So the conclusion was that the former chairman was more a catalyst than a dictator. Just the shot in the arm a club needs sometimes. 

I'm training off 15,000 kcals plus a week, so eating standard fare is a loser. 

I'm fortunate in that I don't have to compromise with anything now days. My wife eats just what she wants, and I eat just what I want. Sometimes it's the same things, but 90% of the time completely different.

After all, I don't expect her to up training and eating at 3:00am. A good metabolism raiser that one. 

🙂

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

SG, if it wasn't for the likes of Dean and myself keeping this thread going while you sulked off on at least three occasions for weeks on end without responding to messages, I'd say you've a hell of a cheek pulling me up.

🙂

• imageHappy 5th birthday!

Been a while since I visited, same old story at the moment. Train well, work gets in the way, momentum lost, feel like I'm starting from scratch. Ran a few races so far, 36:39 10K, 17:52 5K (came 5th) both windy affairs. I've been ill for 2 weeks so did the 12 stage on Saturday and nearly collapsed after.image Some loud dry retching Bus would have been proud of.

Hope everybody is doing a well and PBs are still a possibility - I'm beginning to doubt if I'll PB again. Bit of a focus change for me this year, will be having a go at some shorter 1500/mile stuff image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Great to hear from you Stevie. I think we're in a similar boat, wondering and hoping there's still some pbs there, but work hard is all we can do.

Stick around pal

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Stevie G wrote (see)
    DeanR7 wrote (see)

5yrs eh!

sg (or any of the original crowd) - how have your PBs improved from 5yrs ago ?

original pbs are on page 1. Naturally the pbs have become harder to keep moving, but am hopeful to have at least one set left image. Can't afford too many 6month spells like the end of 2014 though!

Like to think 3k has something in as it stands, I'm sure Stevie See can vouch that my pacing was less than spot on!!

Gents....didnt mean to start some drama....I meant it to demonstrate how much time you originals had chunked off since the thread started.   Also i don't know your current PBs.

of those who haven't carved as much time off, has it been a case of staving off injury/age or something else?

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Hey stevie see, does this mean we will get a 1500m head to head at trafford?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Don't worry Dean, your question was fair! And although we haven't always seen eye to eye, I think we get along on here fine these days, and I appreciate that you're always supportive and fair.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ric, I'm just sick of your constant digs. I don't understand why you're so unsupportive, yet spend so much time on the thread. I guess you're a bit offended by me, but like the others!

At the end of the day, I'm just an enthusiastic guy, doing my best to get faster, which funnily enough gets harder so many years in.

There's been times over the years you've been quite low, and I've tried to encourage you, one time even offering myself up as running buddy for a change of scenery.

The thread is basically a bunch of running buddies chatting about their hobby, I don't understand why you're repeatedly so hostile. And you do it to Bus amongst others too.

And I'm not going to apologise for having a few weeks of outtime over a 5 year period.

Come on, have a look around the forum, how many opening posters are still going strong on threads this long?  I think I've contributed my heart and soul into this thread, brought people in, done my best to help people who have PMd me, and done my best to coach a couple of people into the bargain.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Happy 5th...and here's to the next five! And let's keep positive and supportive! 

Had an unusual dog experience this morning: owner shouted "Rufus (or whatever), stay!" And it did. That seems to be a first.

Socks: very rarely worn them to race in, and certainly not for cross country and rarely the track...and definitely not for steeplechasing in.

PBs: none...but am working on increasing my WAVA scores! 

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Anyone who's been to a fifth birthday party knows there's always arguing and tears at some point, so all is well.
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Is there party bags to take away?  

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Yeah, and they're full of random shit that will disappear beneath the sofa.
  • Pass the parcel? Jelly & cakes I'm on my way......

Where to....., I've no idea!!
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Are there any of those sherbert flying saucer things?

I wasn't racing 5 years ago so didn't have any PBs, but am doing okay now thanks in large part to SG.

I am also a bit jealous of all the weekend relay action as I couldn't do the Scottish relays because I was travelling back from a work trip. We were thinking we might actually get our act together and take a team to the English nationals next year though.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

always a bloody whistle in a party bag and a helium filled balloon when you have to drive to a party.  Can't see out the back window and toot bloody toot the whole way back.

No flying saucers lit but a massive long flump

rob, nowadays pass the parcel has a prize with every unwrap of a layer of paper....and it's likely to be an ipad at the end.....kids have it too easy now.

• Happy thread birthday! I think it takes a lot of effort/tenacity just to keep contributing to a diary/report type thread like this on these forums to be honest, I've packed mine in for now (no surprise and I'm sure some will be happy I'm not bumping it with new statistics on a daily basis)! quite a lot of negativity in places but s'pose that's just the internet. It makes me wonder if all the folk I run with locally are as kind and friendly behind the keyboard, I hope they are but it's a funny place this internet, can turn even the nicest people into trolls.

I agree with wind being the worst weather factor; shot off on Sunday for 8 miles out with an excellent tailwind to keep me cruising; only to have to turn round and do the second half into 33mph headwinds (Isle of Wight) got 2 hours and 16 and a bit miles done, can't say I enjoyed it as much as last Sunday and compared to the 30 or so runners I saw last Sunday, the 3 I saw yesterday said everything about the weather tbh. Still managed 7:27 min/mi for the 2 hours and all other factors made for a satisfying but fairly aggravating run. (i have to admit, the return leg was a bit shit and I just wanted a warm shower and a cup of tea).

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Can we do the Mummy game, the one where you wrap everyone in bog roll or is that not eco friendly anymore?

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

The ultimate children's party game has to be Sleeping Lions. 'Just stay really really still and quiet, kids! Isn't this fun...'

• Deano! I don't think we'll be head to head with your PB. I'll be in the heat with the U17 girls, fat blokes and a couple of shot putters doing their warm down! I would like to run a sub 5 mile though that .05 still annoys me!

SG, there is definitely wriggle room in that 3K PB. Your pacing was... well... let's say 'enthusiastic.' image Ha ha!

Started out on a usual 7.5 tonight and did 10 as I felt so easy! That NEVER happens! I'll allow it!

Will definately try to post a bit more, I've got a couple of weeks off now, so I should get back in the habit!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Fifth birthday parties are the worst. The kids have just started school, so don't have a fixed group of friends, so you end up inviting the whole class. So you go to 20+ of these bloody parties in a year.

For those who haven't got there yet, take my advice and book a kid's entertainer. A good one is well worth the cost. For our oldest, we thought we could manage with just us, but it was a struggle even with the help of my mum, who was a primary headteacher. Of course, I didn't help matters by turning up halfway through dressed as Batman. I naively believed the children would keep an awestruck respectful distance, but instead they swarmed all over me like ants on a jam sandwich. Mind you, you should have seen the fear in my son's eyes when I had to give him a talking to, still dressed as Batman. He didn't know what to think.

None of which is related to running of course. 

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Made me laugh though Dachs (though I swear I never thought of only fools and horses image)

Welcome back Stevie See!!

Ric - not sure what you were getting at there? I could be wrong, but it certainly looked like a dig!

In response to what seemed like a genuine question from Dean, and whilst not quite on the thread for the full five years, yes I'm still getting PBs and still intend to grab some more before I accept a gradual decline - albeit against a relatively low base, but with increasing difficulty and fighting the ageing process!

To a very large extent, that continued progression is down to this thread, so I for one am grateful for it and for SG starting it and that, one way or another, it keeps going!

Many, many PBs have been reported here and they continue to flood in as a result of individual determination and hard work but also as a result of everyone exchanging and debating views and training tips, but mostly from supporting and encouraging each other. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Tru say Bus, tru say.

That was a tough night's sleep last night. Mostly down to the gale outside!

I wondered how it might pan out at the track this morning.

4x1mile off "full recovery" at HMP, Tempo, 10k and hard.

I deemed 90secs as the recovery.

Full miles this time rather than 1600s.

Looks congested around a 6second window!

In truth, the first rep was too fast, rep 2 was spot on, rep 3 came out at 10k pb pace albiet it not the aimed for zone (5.30) due to the wind really getting up.

And by rep 4, 100metres of each lap was so windy I had to bend forward into the rep, while wondering what I was doing there, until it dropped off again and I could continue at the right pace.

As seemingly always in these situations there was no tail wind benefit, just hard head wind, and then still!

Therefore, in the conditions seems a tidy enough workout. On a still day I'm sure reps 3 and 4 would have been tastier and in progression.

However, you take it as you find it.

I'm really hoping the wind isn't as strong on Friday as I need to get some 3k paced 600s off!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Stevie See - for a mile race there is one that sale ac run in july, there is the bebington one where you have your current PB and one notts ac in june where i have my PB.  the notts ac event was very good and there was a number of ranked heats so im sure you will find the right race for your goal.

Bus - my question was about how have the 5yrs been for people.  so looking back have we progressed as far as we thought, less so,  more so and reasons why.  what would they do different etc...

I didnt join the thread until dec 2011 (though i had run 2 halfs in 93 and 87 mins off badly cobbled together training...no speedwork and 5miles or so on the treadmill)  My genuine goal was to break 80mins for the half and had no other ambitions.  i remember being told to slow my interval training down by just about everyone on the thread as they reps where much quicker than PBs at that time.  but i felt comfortable at that pace and just needed my PBs to catch up. 

i decided to race my next few 10ks at a set speed rather than flat our race them...so i could learn from the pace and learn some "race craft".   i got my 10k in a good position and then had the head to head v chingo at trafford.  lots of banter before hand as each said the other was the form pony but come race day we didnt give each other an inch and at 8k i took off, built a lead and won that duel.    then onto to my target race, wilmslow half which Stevie See stated i would "dry hump a sub 80" which i assumed meant he was confident for me image  i got a 76.xx all with starting proper training from only 6 months before.

From then on in i found a love of track and a hatred of xc.   

I have a superb coach who knows exactly how to get the best out of me but i also use the info and guidance on here to add to that.  i need to do more longer sessions and regular tempos.

i think the best parts of this thread are the differences....look at dachs training, matts and mine towards a 10k last nov/dec.   all completely different yet yeilded PBs within 10secs of each other.  so there is no one way of getting good times.

I think some people on here train too hard & others too easy.  Some look for too many excuses & others are not hard enough on themselves.  but ultimately its their PBs , their training, their sacrifices. 

the reason this thread has evolved from a training journal to something much better is the contributors and experiences.  lets hope that continues...if you get criticism, deal with it maturely, nobody are enemies or wants to see failure in fact i think all critique and praise comes from the same place...a willingness to see improvements. 

Lets continue with the improvements.

• Ok I know that Stevie still has me on ignore but I have lurked on this thread since it began. If Midland Runner had stuck with Moraghan it may have been different but I have always used this thread to pick up training ideas. Highlights are the 200 session from Ric, 800 x 6 from Bus, mid-week long run with MP from Phil and 5k plan from Dean. So my very slow running times from then and now are:

5k - 21:48 to 19:55 (last year)

10k - 46:14 to 42:30 (last year)

10 mile - 77:24 to 72:59 (last year)

Half - 1:45 to 1:39 (2013 - aim to take this down by a few minutes this year)

Martahon - 4:14 to 3:47 (never running one again)

Okay I am not in your league but as an ex-football/rugby player who weighs in at 13 stone even at 9% body fat I ain't really built for this running. So keep it up you inspire more people than you think.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Dean, Nail. On. Head.

No PBs apart from a 40.11 10k from 2005/6. Still hoping to take more chunks off though!
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Good stuff Dean, agreed.

In answer to your question, when this thread started in 2010, I had a load of PBs from when I was 16/17 that I mainly couldn't remember but included my half marathon PB of 1:29:45 from probably my last race before 14 years of inactivity.

In 2010 I had just finally managed to return to being a regular once a week jogger.  After a year or two of running once a week, I entered some races in 2011, and ended up with a 1:33 and 1:35 half marathon, and broke 40 in the 10K.  This made me think I actually had something I could work on, so I decided to increase my training, initially to 4x a week, but then ramped it up soon afterwards, probably too quickly, and joined a club.  Early in 2012, I also joined this thread, and much of how I structured my training was based around what I picked up here.

For quite a long time my weeks were regular 1 x tempo, 1 x intervals, 1 x long run, everything else easy, all year round.  Broke 35 for 10K in May 2012, and was down to a 1:16 half and 2:50 marathon by the end of the year, and 2:40, sub 1:15 and sub 34 during 2013.

In 2014, after a largely failed marathon campaign, I started to try to preiodise a bit more, rather than having a similarly structured week all year round.  Off the back of the base miles from the marathon campaign, I used increasing length reps of target 5K pace to break 16 in July 2014, and used a similar approach with 10K pace to get under 33 in November.  Then ditched speedwork to use long MP tempos and shorter HMP tempos to run 71:38 at Wokingham a few weeks ago.

I'm fairly certain that specific, periodised training tailored at specific distances is now the only way I will continue to PB.  The days of 1 x tempo, 1 x intervals, 1 x long run per week, every week, are probably gone for as long as I'm shooting for PBs.

But it's still a real experiment, and I'm only 3.5 years into proper training, so who knows how I'll decide to mix it up.

I don't get coached - our coaches set track sessions but, with specificity now being key for me, I mainly do my own thing these days - and I find running books hard going, so what I pick up on here, as well as the Sub 3 thread, is the single biggest factor influencing how I train.  So, I do think collectively any successes I have are partly due to the influence and support of people on here - if that doesn't sound too much like the ending of a shite sports movie, possibly starring Kevin Costner.

• When this thread started I was a coach potato that had been running for 3 months on a coach to 5k program.

I ponied up whatever the extortionate cost was to 'race' a 5km at Dorney and was over the moon with 27:xx. I followed this up with a 1:01 10km in March (or May) and then a 2:05 at Windsor HM in September. Then I thought I was of the ability to join a local club. I thought I was going to die on the first club run.

I've an HM PB of 98mins, a 10km PB of 41:13 and a parkrun PB of 19:04 and plenty of Samir style pavement PBs. All of these were set in 2013 or earlier.

Now I'm back on the sickness wagon with a throat on fire.

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

You can ignore people? Now you tell meimage

I only joined this thread 5 or 6 months back but I think it's great. It's the only one I regularly visit. I get a lot of motivation and tips just hearing about all your exploits.

SG - Surely the reason the wind seems still the other way round is that you are running away from it at over 10mph?

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

As a caveat I should probably add that I have been unemployed the whole time, so I'll probably never talk to you losers again after next week image

• This thread has been really good keeping me motivated and talking about my running, been given good advice along the way, also especially at times of injury when I'd have no contact with anyone at the track it's good to see other people do well and also in the same boat suffering and have that connection. I think the best part is seeing other people d well and acheive PBs and smash personal targets. It's all relevant and really rewarding

PB wise I've been making new ones as I ran short track stuff before and never ran 5/10km before but hopefully can carry on improving

Coach wise I had one before I still contact who advised me to do two sessions and one long run with progression with everything else steady / easy

I also have Chris thompsons 10km training plan for a 15 week period which I've nabbed some sessions off image

For now I do my own thing session wise but will be thinking of the group at Southampton (rod squad) for the summer who are currently in transition to track season now - doing stuff like 6x 1km off 75 with a few 400s after

In a few weeks I'll be taking a break from running after my operation then thinking about the future. Although committed to a HM and 10km in June
    Pain is weakness leaving the body