Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    Sounds nice Bus, such a great area to explore in! Really good reps again Dean, the speed starting to get going now.

Had a decent session last night at Luton, 20 x 400. Happy as only had 55 second recovery due to Mr K doing 64's! So ended with 3 at 70, 13 at 69 sec, 3 at 68 and one 66. Decent nights work.
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Good sessions Dean and Simon - remind me to never race you at distances under 5k!

Sounds great up there Bus!

DNS for me today at the Maidenhead Easter 10. Things have actually gone fine the two days after the wisdom teeth came out - ran 4m easy both days. Got up this morning intending to race, but ultimately I really don't think it's a good idea. That kind of intensity can mess with the stitches and disrupt the healing process, and I really don't want to be going back for more treatment. In any case, I don't think I'd have run well anyway.

It's been a very easy week running wise due to this, so I'm going to take the rest of the Easter period as downtime, with maybe the odd jog here and there, and hopefully come back refreshed to begin 10k training next week.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Excellent session simon...was that flat out ?

dachs, I think you have earnt a few days off. Smart decision IMO dns'ing that race.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

top paces Dean, and top reps Simon. Different gravy really, and track sessions are the one time I realise being built like a twig probably isn't the best thing!

20x400 is huge for what look like pretty hard paces. I did 16x400 once, but they were at 10k pace, which even near the end of that could be felt! 10-12 x400 at 5k pace always feels plenty to me!

Meanwhile, after an incredibly lazy THUR OFF, I was up super early to get a track session done today. The thinking being that it always works best in the normal routine, despite having no work!

6x600 at 3k pace, off 1min.

1.50,1.53,.1.56,1.58,2.00,2.00!  (average 1.56)

One of those sessions you can feel the pace drain away, and all manner of thoughts are going through your head

Like, I'm crap at this game, thinking about Dean's comments about thread hard and non hard workers, those who are hard on their selves and the excuse makers, worrying I'm in the latter camp on both fields! And general thoughts of wanting to quit, as early as rep 3. However, I did need a nice lie down after rep 6, so I'm sure I was working hard image

BUT, I made it through to the end which is always essential I think. And it's always interesting to do some analysis after.

The zone pace would suggest 1.53 was the target. Whereas when I look at my 3k pb achieved average, that would be 1.57  So compared to the race 1.56 isn't a bad result.

I've done 800s at 3k pace before, but that was off 3mins recovery, which is colossal. A minute was pretty demanding today, not helped by the too fast first rep. Perhaps If I'd started off at a more considered 1.54/5 they'd have come out a bit more level.

I think I've still not quite re-adjusted to track running after so long off. Still have that fury in the first rep, which bites later.
    Also I think while 200/400s are quite nice to smash at the hardest paces, when you get to 600s and up it does become a harder ask to hit the same zone to say the least.

• Options

Blimey Simon! 

Good decision Dachs. 

Aiming to head out for an easy hour later to see how things are. Sore throat has gone  so most of the remnants are in the head. Taking it easy in the hope of being able to do a 25mi TT on Monday. 

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Nice one Dachs. Is quite soon after Reading in fairness anyway, which in turn was a bit too soon to such an epic performance at Wokingham.

Here's to shorter fare success for you soon.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Iron, thought of you today pre session too, must have been some sort of time trial/race going on around Marlow, as saw tonnes of numbered up cyclists monstering around.

Saw a couple seemingly thrashing themselves on stationary bikes down random lanes too. Not sure if that was some odd warmup thing you guys do!

• Options

Sounds like a TT. Some warm up on the road, others use a turbo or rollers to warmup. 

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

SG - agreed, the first 2 reps are the reason for the decline and feeling of dread at rep 3.  It's a positive that the overall pace was on target but consistency is the key to those sessions, Its better to be a second slow on the first rep than under.  But also it's still early spring so that consistency for 3k will come.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Think the Watford meets start in May and ideally I'd fancy a crack at a couple, with anyone from the thread who fancies coming along.

Definitely need to ease in for the first rep/race lap, as the last one I think I recall a 70 first lap, a 72 last lap, and all manner of death and slowing in the middle!

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

I'll be after some speed for 5/10k after the MK Marathon as the focus moves to the Triathlon season. A 3k race would fit quite nicely into that and give me  focus on finding some real speed.

I like the idea of doing some fast track work, I wonder if it's worth doing it with a running club, or doing it on my own.

• Options

I had to look back for Dean's comments, but found and re-read them.

I did the same the other week SG on some 400s and paid for it at the end. Was aiming for 91s and did the first in 85, though I think that showed my lack of recent track pacing.

I've been told to 'run in to' the reps in the past.

~50mins out running with the kids and Mrs. Never work with children or animals. Coughed up all sorts on the run.

• Options

Saw your name on the shirt Dachs so knew you intended to race but didn't see you so assumed the DNS.

For me a race of two halves. I was feeling heavy and slow all week and not looking forward to the Maidenhead 10 but it was a club champs race and close enough to London so maybe would be a poor turnout but as the event filled up, more fast Datchet boys turned up and I was slowly moving my estimated finish position down.

Had a nice chat with lots of nice people and PhilPub (who is also nice) before the race. Weather was good for running: no wind and cool with a mist hanging in the air. Gun goes and set off. Plan was somewhere round 62:30 or 6:15 per mile and started with a 5:56 but well back behind a bunch of people I usually beat. Mile 2 6:08 and mile 3 5:58 so 3 miles in 18:02 which was nice as I have been nowhere near 6 minute pace recently even at a parkrun. Through 5 in 30:40 so slowed a bit but the course was not the best there, and back onto pace for 6 and 7 so 7 miles in 43:04 compared with the target of 43:45.

At 7 the course changed greatly and we were on pavements and they were uneven and rough and had rises and falls for drives etc. This just killed my rhythm totally and I tried to stay on the road but was told to get back on the pavement by marshals so did for some of the time. Held pace reasonably well and the Garmin was saying it was close to target but the Garmin was beeping well before the mile markers and I got to 10 on the Garmin at 62:34 and the finish 22 seconds later.

Overall pleased with the run. I can't say I liked the course and had it been smooth road all the way I would have hit the target. Got a bonus as two Datchet guys ahead were running under different colours and I overtook a third at 7 miles so 5th home for the club (and yet 3th vet 40 for the club).

5 weeks now until Marlow 5 and Staines 10k the following week so can really get on the track and get some speed back into the legs. Good base tough: 30:40 at 5 miles into a 10 miler bodes for sub 30 5 miles.

• Options

SG, it's early spring so getting it right at top end paces is a difficult game. There's always that temptation to 'beat the session.' Good paces in the end.

Dachs - safe decision, live to fight another day!

Deano, Simon - good sessions fellas! Dean, is Stoke having their usual 2 open meetings this year? Also, I can't find any information about the Bebbington race. There will be a sub 5 mile this year!

Thursday - hill session, 6 x 70s, 10 x 12s (STEEP!), 4 x 30s. The last hill was cut short as it was too muddy to move with any purpose.

9.3 easy, hilly, muddy, rainy miles today. Enjoyable after a monster lie in bed!

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Stevie see - the may stoke open is not on, as it clashes with another league fixture and moving it wasn't possible due to county champs.  The August one might be on, but no decision yet.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ta folks, think you're all spot on.

Phil, I fear you may have to change that line on your PO10 profile regarding 10miles and the hour. Congrats on keeping it for so long.

Maidenhead is fairly smooth roads though isn't it? Just that scrappy bit before the slight incline over the bridge? Haven't done it in years to be fair, the 3miles or so round the business park is the worst bit.

Stevie S, always good to see you back enthusiastic again, I worry when you disappear a bit that you're being drawn to your Saturday nights out image

Game 1 of my bank hol triple header was poor. Home defeat, and promotion now in the balance. Worked off some fury with a 4miler on stiff cold legs.

Early to bed and rise...6miler in the morn, then 9am set off to Manchester.

Therefore, catch you all in a few days, Happy Easter!

• Options

Good race PMJ. I saw the course route on Strava, other than the beginning loops & laps it seems like a nice one.

Pretty tired here, maybe should have given it another day. So rest again tomorrow and then out on the bike on Chocolate Egg day.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Nice racing Philip.I seem to remember a long pavement section from about 7-9, and if the tarmac on that has deteriorated the same way most pavements have over the last 5 years, it's probably more like trail running now!

Some very good sessions going on today. Lots of rain here today, but just as wellas my quads were sore! Rain stopped about 3 this afternoon so I managed a nice walk with the Mrs, then a quick evening run up Barrow (again!). 

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Well done PP at Maidenhead today by the way  - corker!!!

• Options

The course at Maidenhead was nice but it was the pavements that were the killers. Just bad tarmac so no chance to get into a rhythm. May be OK for some but my legs were just heavy and no bounce and every footfall seemed to throw me about.

See from the results a few other threadsters were about today.

• Options
    Stevie G wrote (see)

Game 1 of my bank hol triple header was poor. Home defeat, and promotion now in the balance. Worked off some fury with a 4miler on stiff cold legs.

Come on, there are 4 teams in contention for 3 automatic places and really it is either Wycombe or Bury and Bury have the harder run in. Wycombe are 4 points ahead but Bury have a game in hand and Wycombe's goal difference is worth an extra point. If Wycombe can get something out of the Burton game it is all done and dusted surely.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Keswick parkrun this morning. Combination of tired legs and a trail course with about 200 ft of inclines, meant Ijust slipped over 19 mins. Also lost 2 places toward the end due to a classic bit of retching! Met one of your club mates Dachs - Andrew Smith, who came second. Off to the pub for beer and chips jn the sunshine now!

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

PP & PMJ well done at M'head. Nice Parkrunning Bus, more hills!

We had our club champ (5/10k) at Dorney today. The wind was quite strong and there's literally no protection there. It was a mass start with 5k/10k/20k all heading off together. The March equivalent of this race was won in 35:xx so I didn't expect a fast start; I was wrong.

I set my watch with the pace at 35mins (as a guide not expectation) and the pace was furious for such a low key race. Within just a minute or so I was 12 seconds ahead so I accepted those ahead could go and I settled down in about 8th. First mile still came up in 5:24 but the wind was behind.

Next mile was a more realistic 5:45 and then after a dead turn we faced the last mile of the first loop which was into the wind and dead straight. I was isolated in 7th place and there were 2 ahead running together, one of which was blatantly using the guy in 5th as a windbreak. I caught them at the end of the first loop just too late to get any wind protection. We then moved into the wind behind section and the guy that had been drafting overtook the poor sod he'd been hiding behind and tucked in behind me.

I thought, I'm not having this prick sit behind me, so I put a bit of a burst in just to get a gap. The pitter patter faded and I was isolated again in 5th with my team mate James in 4th about 30 seconds ahead. The three leaders were away and gone. Got hit with a bit of stitch in the final mile into the wind but managed to keep a reasonable pace.

Finished in 5th (if you ignore the wheelchair racers) in 35:33. A PB by 79 seconds but I think that was pretty much what I expected.

Almost immediately afterwards my calves were very sore and I am hobbling around the house.

• Options

Nice PB Andrew, I've always found 10Ks can make my calves very sore also. It's that nasty combination of distance but still at a fast pace.

Nice Parkrun Bus, I liked the beer and chips in the sun bit more though!

After 9.5 miles of mud yesterday I was less than optimistic about my Parkrun return. My PB is 18:08, but the course has changed and depending who you speak to, is now 10-20 seconds slower (and long, whilst the old route was short).

Had a good battle with 1st and 2nd but ended up 3rd in 18:10 so very pleased. Then joined my training group did 3 sets of hill sprints up to the mast. Followed by an easy 4 just now. All very encouraging.

• Options
    Well done Stevie, good return. Saw PP's Maidenhead time and gave him some grief on Facebook, the fast old bugger! (Like some others on here..) good going Andrew and Philip too, great stuff!!!

Managed to sneak the Poole park run this morning in 16.30, wanted to start really steady after a night on the sofa following a day on the beer yesterday. But was in about 5th after the first K and decided to see of I could reel some of them in and just about managed it, worked a lot more than I wanted to though. 746 there today, In my view it's the best park run and I think that's the biggest non Bushy ever and their was 950 odd at Bushy today.

Re the 20x 400 Thursday night, started off steady and just tried to keep the first 10 steady, but it was starting to get a bit raggedy on the last 3!! All well and good in training, just needs to be translated into races..

So an afternoon on the beer at the bmth beer festival should assist with the long run tomorrow. Seafront is good for bogs!!
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

So where is PP's report then???

Nice parkrunnning Stevie. Not sure which is more impressive Simon - the parkrun on the beering image

Bit of an epic one this morning. Woke up to beautiful sunshine, so headed out the door as soon as my peanut butter bagel and coffee would digest. Nice easy start to try and wake up stiff legs, before the steep ascent of Causey Pike, then on over Scar Crags, Sail, Hopegill Head and Grisedale Pike before hitting the masses of walkers con the fast descent down into Braithwaite. 10.2M, but with enough ascent to get up Ben Nevis - 4384 feet. All in sunshine, and most of it bare chested!! For once my descending felt really good and I enjoyed leaping round bunches goggle eyed walkers hogging the path on the run down!

The views from the tops today were simply amazing. crystal clear, but with all the coastal valleys sitting in fog under a temperature inversion. The hills on the isle of Man were the only thing that broke through the fog covering the sea.

That made 11,700 feet for the week, which just scrapes in as my biggest amount of climbing in one week. Ideal taper for next week's half!

Might go for an easy walk this afternoon in the sunshine once my fry-up has gone down. Shame I haven't got enough energy left to get up anything high!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

good 10k AG, mid 35s is not to be sniffed at, and with more quality around you, even more is there for you I'm sure. I hope the "prick" that you accused of drafting doesn't read this thread!! 

Bus, I love that you always quote the ascent! Your legs must hate these trips away!

Simon, I don't think you can claim those 400s were "steady", they were blooming fast image

Seeman, back into some kind of form methinks. I'm still waiting for you to smash that fat half of yours!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I've had some fun with some footy game viewing and scheduling runs and recovery in.

Friday was a the track session, Wycombe v Oxford, 4miles easy.

Saturday, 6miles easy, Drive to Manchester for the United v Villa game, home at 8.30ish.

Today, up at 6am, trying to keep to the usual regime, with a 12miler to do, 6miles esay, 6 miles steady.

Wasn't entirely how gorgeous that'd feel after the previous day's knackeration, but got a nice 6.25 average off for the steady section.

Tomorrow, I'm awaiting the training plan through imminently, but Wycombe are at Burton, so a bit more jiggery pokery to arrange.

Give it 4 weeks though, and there won't be footy for 3months, so that'll make things easier!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    PhilipMJones wrote (see)
    Stevie G wrote (see)

Come on, there are 4 teams in contention for 3 automatic places and really it is either Wycombe or Bury and Bury have the harder run in. Wycombe are 4 points ahead but Bury have a game in hand and Wycombe's goal difference is worth an extra point. If Wycombe can get something out of the Burton game it is all done and dusted surely.

If ever there's an analysis by a scientist rather than someone who knows footy this is it!

Yes Bury have on paper a tougher run, but they are the form team of the division, 7 wins out of the last 8, have a much bigger squad, have a much bigger budget.
    Wycombe have won 1 in 7 at home, are getting by with a core of about 16 players, play Burton the league leaders away, and a couple of teams we never turn over.

Lose tomorrow, and Bury win, and it's 1 point lead, with Bury a game in hand, so it really is all nip and tuck. Exciting though

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Nice pace SG.

You gotta quota ascent for fell running, as the distance is meaningless without. I mean, a tad over the distance of Maidemhead yesterday, but well ove

r twice the time taken by most on here for the distance! Funnily enough, my adductors have beenfine this week, and I've done no stretching! Quads were sore yesterday, and will be tomorrow, but that's it. Managed another 5 miles walking, with 1000ft, with the kids this afternoon and legs were fine...