Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Nice ascending, Bus. Good park running SS & SC.

SG - Within the context of the race he was a 'prick'. In truth I was jealous that he had a windbreak all the way down the windy section, I would do the same! I was just hell bent on not being his wind break!

Bit of a recovery run today, 11 miles @ 7:30, probably a bit too far but I got carried away. Interesting to hear that you have a proper training plan SG. Currently I just make it up as I go along. I guess that's fine until you hit a plateau.

I ran through the local country park and was amazed at how many people were there wondering aimlessly about. I guess these are the people that go to shops normally. They all had this slightly urban duck out of water look as they tiptoed round the mud in their white trainers and inappropriate heels.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Fair enough Bus. I was shocked at one of your runs, something like 10miles taking about 14hours. Something along those lines, must have been steep image

AG, of course, I josh. We've all had those irritating hangers on in a race. The worst ones, being the ones you can't even shift when jolting left and right wildly! But other times we've all used someone to see us through ourselves.

ps, glad you noticed there's a plan behind things, it's kinda what this whole thread was set up for!

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Stevie G wrote (see)

ps, glad you noticed there's a plan behind things, it's kinda what this whole thread was set up for!

It was more of a link than a genuine first time realisation, having said that 5 years service is impressive.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

True say AG, true say.

When myself and Bus did our first half marathon in 2002, I doubt either thought it'd lead to this level of training and racing being such a feature of our lives 13 years on!

Keeping committed, enjoying it, and still having the hope of one or two more sets of pbs is the motivation going forward.
    We've lost a few long time posters over the 5 years, but we've also kept, and attracted some good people too. so long may it continue.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Andrew-sorry, read your report, but forgot to comment! Cracking time that and a big PB, with mkre to come!

SG, for context, today's run packed in 4.5 times the height gain of the Marlow Half, in 3 less miles, and mainly on rough terrain, including needing to use hands as well as feet at times (and that's on the downhills )image....

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

the last time I can remember needing to use hands on a run, was when trying to tiptoe through a bunch of cows on that Marlow route, on the thin ledge, before you climb around Winter Hill.

Set a stampede off, and had to jump up what must be the steepest hill ever, you literally have the bank in your face when stood up.

• Sounds like a good hill run Bus, there the ones you wish you could sit on the top and admire the view for 30mins... but you have to keep running.

Simon, a 16:30 after a day on the ale? That seriously depresses me! Ha ha, great running though, one sniff of beer and there's no running for days!

Cranked out 15 miles earlier, last few were a struggle. The heat and a big week of running made it hard work. But 71 miles for the week is a nice fat total!

SG, waiting for next week's plan? You back on M-man's books?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

sure am SS, I only really stepped off it as I was too locked up to commit to quality sessions. So had a few months just ticking over at easy, while doing my best to loosen up!

Although it's nice sometimes to just be free to do any old stuff, any old races, for these peak years I still much prefer to have the direction. Emphasis changes, and it just feels really fresh, even 5 years on. This week was 600s at 3k pace and progressive mile reps, next week is 7m MP and 200s. Looking forward to smashing those 200s already! Mileage goes closer to 70 myself.

Tidy 71 from you this week. I always find something in the mid 60s is a very nice figure, whereas anything 50 or so feels tiny

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

An all time high of 53 miles for me this week, although it's partly because the week before was only 18 and I did a 21 on Monday. Can't say it felt tiny. I am not sure I could do 70 mpw of just running without getting bored of it.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

but is that with stacks of cycling and swimming on top though AG? My experience of triathletes is that they tend to leave off those slight details when quoting their times, yet fall back heavily on them when you beat them in a race  image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps it's funny you say the boredom factor...as that's one of those relative things.

I wonder how people can deal with 18-22 mile long runs, as the only debate I'd have is whether my body or brain would shut down first! But 70miles with a long run of only 12-14 feels fairly standard.

• Not sure it will be as high next week, but mid 60s will be sufficient. 200s are on my plan soon as well. Plus a tasty 400s session starting at 5K and moving through the gears!

Dean, the Notts AC track meeting... is that the one next Sat in Derby? They only run a 1500 (as far as I can see), but think I'll have a go at that on tired legs. I'm looking forward to doing much more track stuff this year.

Ouch my pisiforms is sore and tight today. Anyone got any stretch/foam rolling tips for said area?

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

I measure in time, and typically I have been doing 10hrs a week on average. This week I did mostly running one swim and a couple of hours on the bike. Week before it was mostly bike. The balance changes all the time apart from the swimming which is 0-2 hrs.

After cycling 6hrs a 2.5 hr run seems quite easy. So you're right it is all relative. Not sure I could do 20 miles on the road, I have to run off road to keep it interesting and scenic.

I guess it's the variety of Tri that keeps things fresh.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    Some lovely Easter running peeps. Great time PP - proper 'monstering', congrats on the PB AG and decent PR win and racing Simon, Bus & SS.

Sounds lovely up there Bus and you're clearly in your element. Nice long run too SG with all the juggling.

Final 'long' run for me. Well, at least over 20 miles anyway (35km was today's plan). 10k easy @ 6.59min/mile, next 10k @ 6.16m/m (target MP + 15s), third 10k @ 5.56m/m (target was MP of 6:05), 2k @ 5.37m/m (target 5:40), 3k easy @ 6.35m/m. 35km total @ av 6.22m/m. 70+ mile week. VMLM can't come soon enough.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

cracking run as ever Johnas, epic layout!!

I was gonna ask you something actually, as for some reason I was checking Alex Vero's power of 10. If people don't recall the name, he was the guy who for a documentary, wondered if an unfit guy could very quickly train up to run an Olympic qualifying time!

I was checking out his actual achieved times, and one jumped out by an absolute mile, it was a 73.48 half marathon, amongst times that were relatively miles under.

Where was this run? Amsterdam! And then I recalled you and Rory used to do that each year.

Do you still? I need a pipe dream race, and that'd be an epic one. About as flat as it gets no doubt.

ps, a replacement pipe dream needed now the Christelton 5k is off, as United v Arsenal is now the sunday image

Just to complicate things, with a 14miler due on Sunday, I'm pishing around on trainline.com to see if there's a less crazy scheme than running that, then driving for 3hours each way up for the derby.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    Yep, this will be our 7th consecutive year. Funnily enough though, I've only ever raced it once - the first year we did it. Course is fast but pretty dull besides the Olympic Stadium finish. weather is usually perfect for racing too
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I can certainly live with dull, it's my middle name image

Just formulating random plans at the moment. I'm sure like with many on here, if we ended up doing all the races we've considered, we'd never have time for training!

• Ugh. On the sofa again after a night out ha ha!! I'm going to have a cold soon, but that's the way it goes when you need to have a life as well as running (same as everyone on here!)

Beer festival was great, the carbo loading helped with a nice little ten miler yesterday morning along the seafront. Then off to Brownsea island for the afternoon with the missus, my lad and niece. Being a runner, couldn't help thinking what a great xc loop the 'Easter egg trail' could beimage

So reunion thing last night and a steady 8 this morning. Bmth v brum is sold out so off to the Wimborne match with the old man. Back to LB tonight, time to stop drinking so much I feel!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Things are getting a bit big time at Bournemouth aren't they. Imagine if they and Brentford reach the Premier league! Would be great to see, rather than anyone else from what is pretty much a Premier league failures league.

Nice social 10 with Phil today. Gets the day's mileage done in one fell swoop, and means no silly ideas like trying to shoehorn another run in post drive to Burton and back!

• Good 10kming AG, and good parkrunning SS & SC.

Sounds like a nice route Bus and good LFR Johnas.

Piriformis? Roll the glutes on a roller first then dig deep with a tennis or hockey ball. Put ankle of RH leg on knee of LH leg and work the RH piriformis. Swap over.

Debut 25mile TT today on the A4 at Newbury. Within the first couple of KM I could hear some odd noises from the back of the bike, and a lot of bouncing. By the time I'd got to 18km it was getting worse and looking down showed the back tyre was a little squishy, so pulled over in to a lay-by to check. DNF image

• Cheers Iron, done those two already. The hockey ball... image

3 recovery miles AM. Then another 7-9 tonight.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Hello everyone. My club's ladies' team has done some astonishing last-minute organisation and now we're going on a road trip! image To Birmingham! image So tell me all about the national relays, please.

• If self massage was fun we'd all be doing it. image
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Lovely walk early doors today with my son, on surprisingly fresh feeling legs. While most people in the lakes were looking at fog, we were in hot sunshine above the beat inversion I've ever seen 

/members/images/390230/Gallery/Sam_Causey_pike_re-sized.jpg

• Cracking picture Bus, Bus JR has done well getting up there. Like father, like son!! image

A lovely 8.25 miles in 7:20 around country parks in the sun, finished by the river for a quick sun bathe whilst enjoying the endorphins!

A tasty 10 x 400 @ 1500 pace (60 rec) tomorrow. Early season so looking for 76-78 pace.

Johnas, after reading that session, I'm genuinely excited for the VLM. I've unfortunately missed your build up but you seem to be in fine form. Your tempos are something to behold!

Lit - Realys, done the nationals once (but it was the 6 stage relays, not 12). The course (if at Sutton park) is not too difficult but has a long climb at the beginning, then comes down at the end of the lap.

• Bus, see Junior also adopts the topless approach to climbing.

10 yesterday with SG at conversational pace (just faster than 7:30 average per mile) so I got a word in sideways from time to time.

Lit, it may well be worth while checking as there seem to be some rule changes this year. The relays are run at Sutton Park and the men do 12 stages (6 long legs and 6 short legs swapping from long to short) and the ladies have traditionally done the 6 stage but all 6 legs are the short leg. This year it looks like the ladies do 2 long legs followed by 4 short legs.

The trick with the course is the start and the end. Starts are always fast and this one is downhill so doubly so. You go out and down a short way, then do a short triangular lap (maybe 400m) and the first two sides are down. The third side is then up and then a drag up and out of the woods. You need to pace this bit well. After that, you are on the crest and it is good running up to the Jamboree Stone. The long leg does an out and back at this point, then both routes head down past the pool and a spot on a track which can be slippery. Then back onto a road section before a turn right and a nasty pull back up to the handover when you are feeling tired and yet everyone is shouting at you.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

He let you speak Philip? image  

Yep, shirts surplus to requirements - it's hot oop north! Sunburnt yesterday!

Another beautiful day today and as I can't get the eldest out of her bed, or the youngest off minecraft to head up Scafell Pike as planned, I'm going to head off for a run over Causey Pike (again!). Last day today image

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Bus - wow, looks ace.  Can't wait to get back up there, and maybe I'll be able to see my hand in front of my face on the top of Scafell Pike this time.

Johnas - cracking long run, looks spot-on for VMLMLMLM.

PMJ - Good to see you again on Friday. Well run!  I hope to see you every time I come to Maidenhead now.  image  

Yes, was a great day for racing.  Hope nobody minds a quick C+P job on the race report...

Maidenhead 10 on Good Friday.  pb chasing definitely on the cards (54:59 on the same course in 2013, but my OCD sense of fairness remembers literally toeing the line for a 55:02 gun time that day, so bit of a stewards' there...).  The forecast was keeping us all guessing, somewhere between a bit wet and windy or very wet and not so windy.  It turned out to be not wet and not windy, just grey, cool and serene.  Perfect!

Set off in the wake of a quality Serpentine-loaded leading group (they wrapped up the team award with first four home!) but ticking along very nicely around 5:20-5:25/mile, other than a 4th mile where the Garmin briefly showed a pace of 5:48 (?!) before settling down to a 5:30 split, but this was very slightly uphill with perhaps the nearest hint of a breeze.  I was in sight of 6th place running on his own and caught up around halfway, which I went through in 27:10 on the watch.  So well inside PB pace, and thought back to my first ever race win, a ridiculously low-key 5 mile race in 2010 which I won in 27:20... yes, I was feeling pretty good!  I thought I'd run straight past the other chap but he obviously decided to step it up a gear and we ran together fairly quick through miles 6 & 7, before the slowest part of the course, a bumpy single-file path very subtly uphill.  I was running behind him at this point but felt I could allow a bit more discomfort, so took on the pace making and spent the next couple of miles opening up a slight gap.

Mile 9 was the slowest of the race mainly along a rough gravel path (5:38) but I knew the final mile was the quickest, so had a glance at the watch to see what was going on: 48:50, so quicker than 5:10 required for sub-54. Hmmm!  Sounds a bit lively, but my club mate did remind me of his 5:16 two years ago in his way to 54:50.  So the standard final-mile gurn as I clicked into kitchen-sink mode, but it wasn't quite enough. I'll be pleased with a final (Garmin) mile of 5:14 though, and it got me home in 54:06.  6th overall, 1st V40.  A silver platter, some running shop vouchers and a big chocolate bunny for my efforts.  Yay!

And the standard post-script: MsPub, 1st woman, 57:12.  image  Good enough for a no.2 ranking for the year so far, just ahead of Emma Stepto.  Not too shabby!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Very well run PP - absolutely cracking time for both you and MsPub and a quality report (if a little slow in coming image). You are a shining beacon of hope for us vets!

I've been up Scafell Pike 6 or 7 times and seen a view from it just once - hence my annoyance at the kids today as it is cloud free! Nice run just now nonetheless, but my legs are starting to protest after forcing them up and back down 13,000ft while here, so best take it easy for the rest of the week if I want a half decent time on Sunday!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

great PB - PP.  onto the short stuff next?  must be a race between you, simon and myself to put a marker down for a 3k this yr and get top few in the rankings early on.

well run - AG - a PB not at full powers is a good sign clearly

Stevie See - nope, thats not the same notts race i was thinking of.  The notts race i did last yr was in early june (same night as england v uruguay) It has a 5k race then about 8 graded mile races.  called tim weatherall mile race.