Overdone it?

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

i'd say lay down 6months with no hint of an injury before you even think about one. And even then after you've had a  few years of draining your potential at other times.

• AGREE (Coach)

Enough of this silly talk. The 'plan' stretches to mid November THIS YEAR.

Fast 10k 4th September

Local HM 6th October

Local and fast 10 miler mid November.

Then review.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Richard, surely sub 20 5k should be pretty manageable for someone who could do a sub 1:30 half? Or at least not a million miles away from their comfort zone.

• Hmm - interestingly the RW Race Pace Calculator gives a 19:34 from a 1:30 HM so think Lit is right. Of course the calculators are always based on you having done the correct training for the distance and you may be right (as was my downfall) that the shorter reps may lead to injury.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I was just thinking would definitely be easier than sub 40 10k.

• Richard - Not sure it's essential to go as low as 400m / 600m reps for a sub-20 5k. I've got within striking distance of it (42yo - started running Nov '12) off the back of a mixture of quality runs that have only consisted of tempos and longer intervals - Mile, 1k and 800m - only 3 sessions of the 800s so far in fact. I recorded 19:25 in a 3 Mile MT race last month, so very hopeful of dipping under 20:00 at my next 5k - Friday night as it happens.

I did finally have a crack at 400m reps on Sunday as I'm lining up a track 3000m, but any training benefit of those obviously won't be realised in time for Friday's 5k.

P.S. Been meaning to pop by with a well done on the 10k PB, Skinny. Clearly not a true reflection of where you'd be at full fitness at this stage, but a good stepping stone back to that point. Hope the groin continues to hold up. image

• WJHWJH ✭✭✭

Same goes from me too...well done on the recent 10k Skinny - looks like you haven't lost as much fitnes as you feared! Things look promising for the coming months as long as you can stay clear of injury! PS - a sub 3 hour marathon is also a very long term target of mine...although accept that in reality with my ability level that it may never happen! However, having such long term ambitions is what keeps many of us going! 

• Thanks Bob and WJH

Yep the possible but unlikely long term goals is what its all about - but you need the short term achievable stepping stone goals too or it would just be too far away (or settle for the feel good factor that running gives you but I'm a little too competitive still to accept that as my sole reason for getting up at 6am)!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Richard Hill 27 wrote (see)

literatin wrote (see)

Richard, surely sub 20 5k should be pretty manageable for someone who could do a sub 1:30 half? Or at least not a million miles away from their comfort zone.

I have kept away from the faster interval stuff and concentrated on longer reps and tempo stuff. The shorter reps (12 x 400m or 10 x 600m for e.g.) always leave me crippled for days afterwards and then I miss out on running for 2 - 3 days. I know I should do some, at a lower intensity perhaps.

Richard, it depends the intensity/pace you're doing them at. If you do them flat out, I'm not surprised they leave you monstered, If you do them at 3k/5k pace, they might come out better.

• Richard Hill 27 wrote (see)

literatin wrote (see)

I have kept away from the faster interval stuff and concentrated on longer reps and tempo stuff. The shorter reps (12 x 400m or 10 x 600m for e.g.) always leave me crippled for days afterwards and then I miss out on running for 2 - 3 days. I know I should do some, at a lower intensity perhaps.

If you struggle with it the reduce the volume rather than the intensity. 400 intervals are intended to improve vo2 max  and technique. You need to maintain the intensity to get the training benefit.

• Last week 35 miles total including one quality run 2M WU, 1M Steady, 6M MP, 1M WD.

6 miles in 6:45,6:47,6:51, 6:48, 6:46, 6:52 (pace zone 6:50 - 6:55) so I would seem to have recovered my pace.

In fact the 10 mile total run beat my 10 mile PB which is well out of date.

10 weeks till HM and coach now setting the weeks out again.

Cheers, Skinny

• 8 miles running and 36 miles on the bike last week for me. The calf is improving but still not quite right.  

Interclub 10k tonight, which I'll run at an easy pace to get a few points (and free food). 

• I 've also increased the frequency of my strenght training sessions to about 3 per week.

Getting Hench for my holidays.

• Hi Lou - was off work yesterday so no time to post on here!image

Went raspberry picking so I hope raspberries are good for running coz currently wading through 4 tubs of themimage

Hope the 10k went okay. How was the 8 miles split? I find when I'm injured the idea of going out for 2 miles just doesn't warrant getting my kit on so tend to do nothing or 3 to 5; but probably better doing less and more often.

We are going on a family holiday to a cottage in Lytham for a few days at end of August/start of September and my daughter's boyfriend is coming with us. He's very hench - I'm not; did toy with the idea of trying to do some weights for a month so that if it was hot I wouldn't look so puny when we both stripped off but couldn't be arsed! I'll just challenge him to a 5 mile 'sprint' along the beach and that will reassert my position as dominant male of the pack!image 

• Skinny Fetish Fan wrote (see)

He's very hench - I'm not; did toy with the idea of trying to do some weights for a month so that if it was hot I wouldn't look so puny when we both stripped off but couldn't be arsed! 

That's just not good enough, Skinny. You could have done half of Insanity in that time!

• imageimage

Yeah but I'd have been gutted if it had p*ssed it down for four days. At least this way we will either get hot weather or I get to be pleased I didn't waste a month of effort trying to be hench.

• Lou's been doing strength training sessions. Bet he's getting pretty hench.

(actually Lou, your post made me feel guilty and I had to go and do some pull-ups)

• Looking forward to getting my Speedos on and flexing my pecs on the beach.  (Actually I think Mrs D may have more impressive biceps than I have these days)

The easy running is a 4 mile loop round some nearby woods that I do with the dog.  I've been doing it about twice a week for the last 2-3 weeks.  Saw some calf guards in the sale the other day, so I've bought a pair of them.  I'll see if that helps.

10k interclub race last night in 30+ heat.  It was the furthest and fastest I have run for about five weeks and it definitely felt like it.  I was mulling over what pace to run it all day yesterday and I think I finally decided that I would go for 7:30m/m, thinking this should get a few points, but shouldn't over stress my calf.

The route was two laps with a 100ft elevation change over each lap.  As is the case with these things everyone set off at a ferocious pace down the hill and despite my decision to take it easy my first mile was 6:51, miles 2 and 3 were back up the hill in 7:19 and 7:40 respectively, then back down the hill for the second lap.  Felt comfortable at this pace despite the heat.

Started to feel the ache develop in my calf on the downhill section so eased off a bit, but when to course started to rise again for the last couple of miles uphill to the finish I had nothing to give.  Let a couple of rival pensioners trot past me and jogged in to finish in 46:46.

Splits were 6:51, 7:19, 7:40, 7:43, 8:07, 8:17( and 8:26 for the 0.2).  A couple of weeks ago a said that I didn't think you lost fitness as quickly as people think.  Well I've changed my mind.  Even though I was taking it easy apart from the first downhill mile average HR was consistantly over 90% and 94% for the last mile.

It's fair to say I was bollocksed by the end of it.

Anyway, ladies' team was 1st and men's 2nd, free food and a couple of pints.  A jolly good evening was had by all (except for the running bit)

• Lou - sounds like a good run though nevertheless and very similar to my 10k a couple of weeks ago - legs just give up on you after about two thirds of the race.

Hope the calf is feeling okay today in which case you probably have proved that you are nearly right again. I don't measure heart rate but 90-94% for an 8:17 mile sounds high!image

• I too have a hilly 10k tonight, possibly in a thunderstorm. Let's hope my legs don't give up 2/3 of the way in.

• They won't. I'm predicting a smashing of the 40 minute mark - 39:35 I'll go for.

Good luck.

Then you need to sort your 5k time out. image

• Oh ffs, even the eternally optimistic McMillan calculator doesn't think I can do 39:35.* And there are hills. And it's quite warm outside. And also, perhaps by hanging around here too much, I've picked up a sort of groin-related niggle/pain in the arse type injury. So there. There'd better be a free shot of Jagermeister at the end like in previous years.

*EDIT: which would also be a faster pace than I ran a shorter race a couple of weeks ago.

• Hope the niggle doesn't hamper you.

If it doesn't - 39:35 - now get to it. image

• Piss off. You're trying to break me.

Also I like having a crap 5k time. Makes my marathon look better. image

• Your marathon conversion factor is far too high. Time to make the adjustment.

Though you're probably right - this looks like the recurrent injury thead.  Don't hang around here too long.

• Well perhaps I should report that I went back to the physio this afternoon and got discharged for my groin injuryimage.

Its still not perfect but she's happy that it is improving and I'm running so no reason why it won't keep on improving. She also said I was in good shape for my age and that my calves were in good shape which I was pleased about as shows all that hanging over the stairs for the last 12 months has done some good.

Lit - good luck tonight.

• Good news, Skinny. Now crack on. image

P.S. Niggled up here too, perhaps there's something in the post on this thread jinx...think Stevie's struggling at the moment too isn't he?

• That's great Skinny and sounds like how I feel about my dodgy groin thing that I clearly caught from reading your thread; it's getting better, running's not making it worse, so I might as well just keep going.

As predicted I obviously didn't get anywhere near Bob's silly target in last night's hot, hilly 10k (no thunderstorms, though). No bloody Jaegermeister either though afterwards so I had to buy my own g&ts. Anyway, it was a two-lap course with two quite noticeable hills that you had to run up twice, and a sharp bend on a gravel path later on, too. The only redeeming feature of the course was that the second lap of the lake was shorter (short cut over a bridge, rather than wading). Also, it is the same lake I ran around on my first run 5 years ago.

So anyway, it was hard work, I felt a bit sick towards the end, some bloke just ahead of me was making noises like he was actually going to be sick (just before I overtook him), and I finished in 40:59 after a desperate final sprint towards the clock on the finish line to get in under 41 minutes. But on a more positive note, I did still win (first lady in the slowest winning time in the history of the race!) and therefore also won the county championship. And got a PB due to the old PB being a bit rubbish. And the race t-shirt is quite nice.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

image We've got a right one here... massive pb, medal for women's winner, medal for county championship winner,and still not satisfied....

However, that's the spirit that i'm certain will make it easy to coach you to much faster times, luck with injuries pending image

• Well, I didn't say I wasn't also feeling really smug.

Anyone want to see my medals?