Overdone it?

Comments

• Skinny - according to McMillan your mile time (based on last nights performance) would be 5:23.6.

I would like to do another mile race in the future but ideally not a few days after a 10k(although that makes me sound very weak compared to what Richard has just done). One of my reasons for doing the mile last night is that I want to get a time for all 'standard' distances from 800m to the marathon, so that's another one ticked off the list.

Impressive track times by Richard  - doubt I'll be getting near any of those!

• macemace ✭✭✭

And congrats on the WAVA, BBB, great miling.

• Tommy2D wrote (see)

Skinny - according to McMillan your mile time (based on last nights performance) would be 5:23.6.

imageimage - think McMillan might have to run it for me too! That sounds quick!

• Yep...and that's approximately the pace that the infamous Tom Chinery was (or possibly still is) intending to run a HM at...

• Tom has actually 'overdone it' and has been quite unwell, but has been sensible enough to scale back his ambitions.

The highlight of my track career at school was when I won the 3-legged race (with Francesca M) at St Pauls CofE School in 1993, beating off stiff competition from Sophie and Mandy, the only other team who'd actually trained. I don't know what the distance or our time were though so we can't include it on the table.

(Edit: I've just remembered my shameful track racing career low, a few years later, when I pretended I had asthma to get out of racing 1500m. image)

• macemace ✭✭✭

Richard, apologies but i somehow missed your race image, think i confused you and Tommy image .... CONGRATS on the pb

• Hmmm, just seen that Tom has pushed himself a bit hard, hope he fully recovers soon.

Physio has diagnosed me with a damaged hip flexor and whilst running is not making it worse it's not allowing it to fully recover. So the upshot of it is I'm only allowed to do easy running for a maximum of 25-30 mins. Definitely no swimming or football and cycling is probably going to aggravate it. Got to go back to him for massage and ultrasound twice a week for the next 2-4 weeks. On the plus side he seemed to think it was pretty straight foward and he should be able to fix me fairly easily, it's just a question of time. He seemed to think it's not caused by poor biomechanics but more likely my form went to pot during the marathon and that's what caused it.

Bit frustrated as it might mean the autumn HM is off but if I can get it sorted in the 2 week rather than 4 week timeframe, I might be able to get fit enough in time to target Worksop at the end of October. We shall see.

• Sorry to hear your running has been temporarily curtailed, Tommy, but it sounds like it could have been worse. Turkey Trot on December 8th?

• Bugger - sorry to hear that, Tommy. image You kep that quiet about getting locked in the changing rooms last night, BTW! Hope the injury recovery is at the shorter end of expectations and you're back in full flow soon. Some consolation that you can at least run easy hopefully. 

Thanks, Skinny and Mace. Yes, I'm sure there's probably something in what you're saying about being able to 'wing' a shorter distance race without proper training, Skinny though thinking about it. Certainly in terms of endurance anyway, though perhaps you'd lose a bit of sharpness which would knock off a bit of raw speed? I'm certainly encouraged by it anyway. 

That's some amazing times in your youth there Richard - aye caramba!

Interesting re: the V45 prize, Skinny, I'm sure you've got plenty more to come yet given current rate of progress, so prizes are your future I reckon!

• Thanks both, on reflection it could be worse and at least I can still do some easy running so it's not all bad. Turkey Trot is an option as is Clowne HM, will make a call in a couple of weeks once I've given the treatment a chance to work. Bob - I'd forgotten about getting locked in when I spoke to you - not my finest moment!

• Tommy - hope the layoff is not too long and at least easy running is possible - with two runs a day at 10 min mile pace you could still do 40 mile weeks!image

After reading both your comments about TC I went to read his blog - hmmm, hope he's okay - I wonder if all his posts were deleted because he got ill?

• Big_Bad_Bob wrote (see)

Interesting re: the V45 prize, Skinny, I'm sure you've got plenty more to come yet given current rate of progress, so prizes are your future I reckon!

I decided this statement was worth a bit of investigation.
    Last year ran Dumfries 10k in 42:10, this year 38:52 so 3:18 faster - wow. However the race last year was my first ever shorter than 10 mile race and perhaps some of it was a learning experience.

Using the race calculator on this website in October last year I ran the HM in 1:29:08 - that converts into a 40:24 10k time so in the first of the 12 months I had improved by 1:46 of the improvement I have made.

After a lay off for injury I then built up my mileage with easy running for 3 months from 25 - 30 to 35 - 40. I then added about a month of SG coaching and some quality before running 31:17 for 5 miles in May - this converts to a 39:23 10k - so another 1:01 improvement mainly on the back of upping my mileage.

Between May and now either side of my 6 weeks groin strain I've done some hard sessions and 35-40 mile weeks consistently - and I've improved a further 31 secs over 10k.

• So what was the point in all that - well I was interested in knowing if my rate of improvement is slowing and what my improvement is down to.

I think upping my weekly mileage is definitely a big player, as is easy mileage but hard sessions, also simply race experience and how long you can survive in the pain zone.

It looks like the speed of improvement may be slowing but the numbers show that I am still getting faster (I was wondering if running different distances was giving an impression of massive improvement when actually it was much smaller).

Also it seems that from a base of easy mileage I can get to a competitive level in as little as 6 weeks which is quite good to know.

All stuff to consider when planning winter training and targets for next year......

• Finally in other news got my hands on the race pack last night for GNR - apart from nearly throwing out the envelope with the timing chip in which would have been a bit stupidimage I am in zone C.

Looking at the start map the elites are in zone A and it goes back to zone K so I'm pretty happy with that as I want the first 6 miles to be sensible anyway. Will be nice to simply enjoy a race like that without any PB pressure etc

Quite excited......

• Skinny Fetish Fan wrote (see)

Using the race calculator on this website in October last year I ran the HM in 1:29:08 - that converts into a 40:24 10k time so in the first of the 12 months I had improved by 1:46 of the improvement I have made. 

You lost me at this bit - according to this logic (making up what your 10k time would have been if you'd done one according to McMillan) I've got 5 seconds slower since February!

• image Hmmm - have you got a coach? image

Seriously i know its not a perfect comparison - i was just trying to get some sort of gauge on my level and timing of improvement.

The only perfect way would be same course, same conditions which is unlikely on road and more probable on the track.

• I think I might try a jog this weekend.  It will be about 10 days since the last one which seems like a reasonable amount of time.  Did another aquajogging session today: 5x4:30 + 5x30s all off 30s intervals.

Inspired by Skinney's musings I plotted WAVA against date for all my road races.  If anyone can tell me how to past excell charts here then I will.

There seems to be one anomally (10k 40:15, just before Christmas)  If I remove that datum the plot shows a nice smooth curve shallowing slightly, but still reassuringly steep.  However, if I include that point the curve flattens significantly and suggest that I've made little improvement since last year.

I'm not sure what to make of it to be honest.  Probably best if I don't dwell on it.

• If I plotted WAVA against date for all my races, which I couldn't be arsed doing, I'd probably fluctuate between good and crap depending on distance. It depends what kind of runner you are, and what kinds of runners tend to excel at each distance in your gender/age group, since the percentages are worked out against the best times at each distance. I know I'm a better runner than I used to be though and that's what's important.

How was your jog, Lou?

• Notably my 10ks were all just above the line and HM all just below the line. This could explain my oft stated opinion that HM pace feels more comfortable than 10k pace.

Just done 4 miles andit feels fine. I'll continue with that for a few weeks before I start ramping it up again. I still fancy Worksop HM, it will be a sighter for mara training rather than a proper attempt.

Club put on a coached session yesterday morning . First of three, which was mostly about efficient form. Apparently I flap my right arm about and have slightly tight hamstrings, which could be limiting my stride a little. Both things a was aware of but its given me something to focus on.

• Sounds promising Lou, hope that's the end of the injury.

Perfect morning for a LSR, shame I can only go round the block. My hip has felt much better since the massage and ultrasound by the physio, which could be that he's sorted it out immediately or there is some sort of placebo effect I'm not sure but I'll take it either way. Off to see him again tomorrow, hopefully he can do some more magic.   

• Tommy - enjoy your run round the block. sounds promising though on the hip.

Lou - sounds similarly promising.

Niggle wise (but all manageable niggles at moment) I have slightly tight right hip flexor(eases with foam roller and stretching and started some specific strenghtening exercises too), tightish hamstrings after the quicker runs (respond well to stretching), stiff groins after runs and on waking up (ease with stretching and no noticeable difference with running), tight left ITB but can just to say feel it in knee and responds well to foam roller and hip exercises (plus glute strenghtening.

So for a normal person I'm a wreck - for a runner I'm probably in tip top shape!

36 mile week incl the 10k race and 13 mile LSR with another runner this morning - first time I've ever trianed with someone else - run flew by and felt really fresh when I finished.

Cheers, Skinny

• Coach - how did your third horse get on?

• Well, sounds like everyone's getting better! Except Skinny, who's a wreck.

My LSR route smelled deliciously of blackberries today. Luckily though I had picked some yesterday so could stuff my face when I got back. Sudden return of my usual energy levels + nice weather meant I didn't quite manage the 'slow' part of the brief, but it was close.

Am just looking at photos from last week's 10k. People are pulling some much better faces than in longer races!

• Blimey Skinny, sounds like you're about to drop to bits! Sounds like you're managing  all the niggles well though.

I've just had a look at the photos as well, you're right there are some excellent faces being pulled!

• I haven't found any of me yet. You look cheerful, yet determined.

• That wasn't what I was feeling...Might use that description on my CV though.

Maybe you were so fast the camera couldn't catch you in time? They seemed to get most people near the finish line.

• Haha, just seen your finish line photo!

And there are no pictures of me at all. Either I was going so fast I couldn't be captured in a still photo, or my shorts were censored for being indecent.

• Hi Flob, sorry to hear about your injury. I don't think anyone on here has had a stress fracture though (I might be wrong). I think the thread title is a bit misleading, as we mostly (touch wood) don't know that much about proper running injuries, though there have been a few niggles recently. My theory is that Skinny infected us all with groin pain via the internet. But apart from Skinny, who did 'overdo it' a bit in June last year when he started the thread, we're all pretty sensible, but like to hang out here because we run at similar paces and do the same kinds of training.

Your best bet for getting information about a specific injury is to start a new thread in the 'health and injury' forum (with the details in the title/subtitle), as that's more likely to attract attention from people who've had experience of the same thing in the past. But we can offer you general sympathy, and perhaps a (virtual) cup of tea.