Overdone it?

Comments

• That does seem like a good session Mr V. 

And 20 miles before breakfast, Lit ! Absolutely spiffing. Wish I could have sat in the garden with a flapjack or something this morning but had to dash to the bog after my run and then do school prep and dash to work. Baking corner: I made chocolate flapjacks last night but burned the cocoa I think. Came out quite bitter and biscuity. Perhaps not enough honey too. You win some, you lose some.

I had a similar feeling session to you DT. Although I did manage 10 miles before breakfast, it wasn't pretty. I had planned an mp run but during the warm up had a dicey stomach (little 'un has had upset tummy all week).  So rather than abandon it I had the bright idea of breaking it up into intervals round a loop close to a friends place who I could call in on if push came to shove. Felt rotten throughout and just about managed to keep between mp and hmp with 1 min recoveries and half mile intervals. Fortunately for my friend, I didn't have to call in unexpectedly. 

Skinny - I am the same. This is another aspect of marathon training that worries me.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I have that superpower too. image It is only a bit embarrassing at work, where I am the one who waits as long as she can and then has to say 'are you going to eat that biscuit/those potatoes/etc.?'

Maybe not enough butter in the flapjacks as well, Muddy?

FAT is an unfortunate acronym for a condition that can involve disordered eating.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    He'd have been delighted to have a 6.30 tap on the door in those circumstances no doubt!!!

In the Coventry half, as we ran through a village at around 10 miles and my issue peaked I did seriously consider asking one if the people if I could use their toilet. I wondered whether they would be disgusted or see it as an amusing anecdote for their next social gathering.
  • McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭

I have a leash, Marrows. But I only use it on steep downhills for safety. Otherwise you can't switch your arms often enough. Where the footing is v flat and smooth I sometimes push her ahead and catch up to her.  I want one of these though: 

http://running.competitor.com/2015/03/shoes-and-gear/a-jogging-stroller-unlike-any-youve-seen_124554?utm_medium=whats-hot

I'm really too broad of hip and shoulder to be a runner I think. And quite a bit too fat according to Stillman. Do have amennorrhea but that's due to breastfeeding. Should probably take up rugby or something. Or stick to child bearing. image

Oh, I have a clicky hip too. Can I be in the gang?

I'm ultrasounded and kinesiotaped up now and ready for Sunday.   Beetroot juice drinking has commenced.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I have one experience of beetroot juice and it didnt end well in a raceimage

Did you ultrasound yourself, mcf? Or was it physio?

I am getting to grips with my machine. The electrical stimulation stuff is fine as you can feel something happening. The ultrasound i am finding a bit odd as there is no noticeable response as it happens.

• McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭

Physio, DT.  Don't know what difference it makes really - last time though I had v inflamed knees, really puffy and it did seem to sort it.  Although I did ice as well.

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

Bahahahaha.  FAT. That's basically all I have to add to that conversation.  I keep being a bit pissed off by people trying to feed me excessive amounts.  I'm fairly small but by no means thin and definitely not any kind of runner-shaped, and just because overweight is normal (especially at work), I keep getting weird comments about how I only eat cucumber (which is total crap and they know it, because I am generally the first one hoovering up the leftover buffet after meetings etc).

Skinny, I would be wary of running with anyone in the marathon.  I possibly say this because I've only ever run my own race, but bearing in mind that you're used to running alone a lot of the time (I think?), it becomes very hard to be 'tied' to someone else, and in the race you really need to do things your way.  I agreed to run with a club mate going for a similar time at Edinburgh last year, but we got separated at the start, and after I'd caught him up we attempted to stay together for a couple of miles but it really didn't work out.  I guess if you agree to start together with the proviso that there is no obligation to stay with one another it could be ok, but I really think it can put you off if you're expecting to do something which doesn't work out.  So I guess prepare yourself mentally for either scenario?

DT, your machine sounds fun.  I remember your beetroot tale from the P&D thread I think...

McF, hope it helps this time... Good luck for Sunday!

Oh, and in baking news, there is banana and honey tea bread in the oven as I type image

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

That sounds lovely except for the bananas, Madbee. When I first arrived at my new job I did get comments about how I probably only ate salad (in the context of 'would you like some courgettes and rocket from my garden and ... oh, but you probably don't eat potatoes') but everyone has learnt better now. Probably because I bring in so much cake. I am the office feeder.

I have only deliberately run with others in both my marathons, not other races. I don't think anyone ever expects their running pal to stick with them unless it's their partner or best mate, though. Oh, and the league race a few days after London where we were only doing it for our clubs and just jogged round at the back having a chat (I let her 'win' for the vet points).

• Just got home - always feels more magical when you've been away.Thanks for all the extra comments - I had already decided when I thought he was going to be 4 secs or similar per mile too fast for me that I would actually not start with him because it was just too small a difference.

Now reading the comments perhaps we should just do that anyway even if we both agreed to run exactly the same pace and then if we found ourselves running together then so be it.

Have a good weekend everyone - good luck at Coniston Madbee - its lovely round there - I'm hoping to be somewhere in Lakes too and may give the Saturday run on the schedule a miss and then do some MP (8 or 10) in my Sunday 17 as a penance (and also because I didn't do the 18 with 14 last week).

• McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭

I like how we're all playing fast and loose with the schedule now that magical taper is only just over two weeks away (for me).image

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Skinny - welcome home.  I have short stocky legs and my bum is 2 dress sizes bigger than my chest. If trousers fit my waist, I can't get them over my thighs. My sister's skinny jeans don't get past my calves.  If you spliced my body with Lit's at waist height you might get one convincing long-distance runner and you could use the other one as a farm animal or something, though that one would have Lit's head attached so you may have to negotiate with her about that.  As for the FAT, I eat enthusiastically, but I did have a suspected stress fracture in the other foot in 2011, I have irregular periods, and for some years I was 10 stone and not fat so while I'm heavy for a long-distance runner, I am perhaps lightish for me.  You asked not to hear about the gynae bit but there's a link between amenhorrhoea and risk of stress fractures/osteoporosis. Some articles hint that amenhorrhoea actually causes low bone mineral density.

Enjoy the cake and Coniston, Madbee and DT, I hope you have a lovely time playing with your magic wand.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

My arse is two dress sizes smaller than my shoulders, on average. Perhaps we could use the farm animal half as a bodybuilder?

Re. jeans, I have had success in the past buying the ones that fit my thighs and then paying someone £10 to take them in up the back seam.

• 'Paying someone ??10 to take them in up the back seam' - I'm not sure that's a legal activity.

Marrows/Lit - I'm thinking maybe a cart horse which Lit's mane could just about pull off.

Marrows - it sounds a little like you are more worried about FAT than was obvious when you dropped it in from your doctors report but surely there are a lot of stages before it is fatal so you probably need to deal with the specific issue rather than the TRiad? At the moment all you have are irregular periods (many causes) and a bit of a sore foot I think? Can you link the long medical wordhoea to when you started running or was it pre existing? I'm sorry I can't remember if you have been running all your life or not?

Quite good knowledge from the GP to even be aware of the condition though.
  • Best of luck to this weekends racers who if I remember correctly are Bob, McFlooze and Madbee.

Fingers crossed Bob comes back from Lincoln with a great pb and McFlooze and Madbee both come back in one piece and with great pb's too. Actually Bob should come back in one piece too.

Have a good weekend everyone else and stay in one piece. You know it makes sense.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I have had my hair cut, Skinny.

While we're doing the gynaecological discussion, against Skinny's express wishes, I would like to add that I too have amenorrhoea, even though I can't spell it, and I don't worry about it too much because I think it is fairly common among endurance runners and also, let's face it, having periods is crap. But I can see how the coincidence of that and foot problems could be more worrying, especially as you have had anaemia in the past, so I think it is a good thing to check this out properly now while it's only a suspected beginning of stress fracture rather than an actual one.

• macemace ✭✭✭

Welcome back Skinny

Well, the eclipse was a bit rubbish !! I'd completely forgotten about it and just thought it had got a bit gloomy.

I love beetroot, especially pickled and the chilli one from one of the supermarkets. And beet it is wonderful but not the best thing to drink on an actual marathon race day which i discovered in Brighton image

marrows - all the best with that.

This has been an astonishing couple of weeks because a) Lit was ill and b) Lit couldn't spell 'weak' and also can't spell marrow's long word thingy. It's a bit like being a kid and finding out that there's no Santa.image

20 w 14@MP done and dusted and DT's encouragement of it being not that bad was ringing in my ears as i headed out. And actually he was right, it wasn't too bad at all apart from having to do a poo behind a beach hut. I did manage to hold on until the 20M was up ( having passed several closed public loos image ) before doing the deed and luckily i had my trusty supply of loo roll so the socks get to run another day.image

I think i probably got caught out because i ate too much this morning / mid-morning. I usually eat nothing or a dry slice of toast with a drop of honey before a long run but as i was running this afternoon i couldn't last that long. So i expect 2 toast with honey, then 2 toast with 3 poached eggs from my hens ( quite small eggs as theyre young hens and only just started laying )  and then a bowl of muesli is probably not the best idea. MIx that with a couple of gels and the chances of it getting messy are quite good !? I really must learn from these stupid mistakes image

Anyway, 20M in 2:14:31 = 6:44 av

14 @ MP = 6:34, 29, 29, 30, 24, 25, 24, 26, 26, 27, 26, 18, 17, 14 ( 6:25 av ) As i say, felt ok and a very pleasing HR print to go with it (a new best of 941 beats per mile), as well as a half mara pavement pb image,

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Well done mace, especially for not pooing yourself, but also for the run. Did you have milk with your muesli? I believe some people find that to be a mistake.

I can't spell 'weak' because it isn't a word I need to use very often. image

• macemace ✭✭✭

Ha !! image

I had unsweetened almond milk, another favourite. I'm not sure the eggs will have been a good idea either. Or the general quantity of food before a 20M run !!

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I eat loads before a run if it's later in the day, but I make sure I have stopped three hours before, especially if it's a race.*

*this rule can be relaxed if I'm really hungry.

• macemace ✭✭✭

I can eat within minutes of my Monday evening club run but thats usually only 6-7M

The muesli was the last thing down the hatch and was 3 hours before so at least i was sensible with the timing. I think i'm going to stick to just the dry toast with honey as you've possibly hit on something with the milk image I had muesli before Brighton as well so that's definitely off the race day breakfast menu.

I took 2 gels and noticed my stomach turning a bit after the first at 9M and it wasn't long after the 2nd@14M when i thought a pit stop may be on the cards. Hopefully it's not the gels playing up so i think i'll have to test that and take 3 or 4 on my next 20

EDIT : maybe muesli is ok but with water rather than any sort of milk  ?

• PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭

I did 14.5k with 8 at subLT today so aiming to keep heart rate between 140 and 145bpm (80 to 83%).  Hilly route so lots of variation in pace.  It felt like hard work, mainly because my legs were still tired after my rest day yesterday, which involved yomping up Pendle Hill*.  However, when I got home, the stats looked much better than the previous two occasions I've done that session this year image.  I didn't need a poo but then I never have during a run.  Perhaps I need to try some Beet It.

* My father-in-law was originally from Lancashire and surname was Redfearn so (for no other reason honestly!) I'm convinced my wife is descended from the Pendle witches.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Muesli with water sounds f***ing disgusting though. I didn't take any gels on my 20 today because I forgot.

Well done Pete. Sounds good! I've never needed a poo during a run either.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    literatin wrote (see)

I've never needed a poo during a run either.

all proper runners have had to at least once.

Ok maybe not as often as me. Or needing to "set up "base camp" in a toilet pre race like DT19, but still...

• If I ever eat muesli type stuff for breakfast I have it with yogurt.

Great running Mace - I'd be happy with that as a first 20 miles in 4 weeks! (actually I wouldn't because it would be too fast!).

Good running too Pete - definitely moving along the comeback trail.image

Periods and poo - lovely!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I would like to feed Lit bowl after bowl of branflakes, and then  2 1/2hours later send her out for a 15miler with no pre poo allowed.

Just for a science experiement.

ps I'm sure this thread used to be about the actual running

• Loving the deliberate joke spellingimage

PS: Yeah - there was a time on this thread where if I won a race you would have popped in and said well done - now you only appear if we mention pooimage

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Fascinatingly, women who are having their periods need to poo more. Fact.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

That was when you were one of my top 2 prized ponies.

Now you've gone wild you're on your own sonny image

Well, that or I completely missed it! Well done mate!

Lit, I just want to hear you've been caught short once on a run. The expression of horror on your posh face would be of untold comedy value image

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

One time I needed a wee.

• PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭

Hmmm.  Does being clever mean you're posh?

I confess I have occasionally stopped for a wee on a long, winter training run.