Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options

Bob said:

Skinny - Enjoy your run today (if not already done), are you chomping at the bit now?

Just been out for 4 miles in heavy rain and a bit of wind - drenched - loved it!!

Only another 1000 miles of that and it wil be spring againimage

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Welcome back Skinny.

Don't worry, it's only 4months or so of crap weather, dark nights and needing stacks of layers.

We'll soon be back to the weather so kind that it's shirt off, waving to passer's by time.image

• Options

I practically never take my shirt off while running.

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Good to see you back running Skinny after a brutal sounding meeting. Hopefully Lit got the all clear from the physio and can resume running?

Mace - nope didn't stick but did make me jump!

Bob - good work on the tempo, you seem to be back to full training after the injury now. With regards to training trials and tribulations, it's a common theme with me. Something happens or I come across something strange with alarming regularity whilst out running - here's a few off the top of my (conker bruised) head:

• chased/bitten by dogs (physically knocked over by an Alsatian once).
    • offered drugs (twice).
    • ran into a couple of dubious looking blokes carrying a couple of shotguns, they scarped very quickly after I'd seen them.
    • propositioned by a prostitute (twice - because I had my headphones in and didn't hear what she was saying properly the first time so had to ask her to repeat what she'd just said ).
    • came across two blokes taking (what I think was) heroin who stopped me and asked me if I'd seen any rabbits image.
    • falling over whilst out running and getting covered in mud and then having to walk through the crowded lobby of a hotel and queue up at reception and get a spare key for my hotel room.

And I've just realised that I've washed my iPod shuffle, to go with the fact my Garmin has stopped charging properly!

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

I should probably clarify that not all of the above have happened whilst running near where I live, my previous post makes it sound like I've been running round The Bronx or something!

I work away quite a lot and often end up just running out from the hotel and can end up in some less than desirable areas, as highlighted above...

• Options

image image

were the drugs performance enhancing?

love the image of you running past the prostitute, then turning back and taking your headphones off and asking her to repeat the offer

i meant to say when reading back that sounds like training must be going well again if considering the HM.

• Options

I feel a bit sorry for the prostitute actually. She probably thought you were interested.

Anyway, the physio last night was ace, and basically thinks I will be fine (the unofficial version) but has advised caution and given me a 3-stage rehab programme to get back into running, starting with a 20 minute powerwalk last night (in which I covered a whopping 1.6 miles). In 2 days I'm supposed to progress to 5 mins powerwalk then 10 mins jog, then 5 mins walk, then 2 days after that (or not if I think I'm fine by then) same but with 20 mins jog. It's allowed to hurt a bit while I'm doing it as long as it stops hurting within 20 minutes after I stop. And I have other strengthening exercises to do.

Last night was fine. I did try and run a few metres in the middle just to see what it would be like, and it was a tiny bit uncomfortable so I'm happy enough to take it slowly. But no pain afterwards, and hopefully I'll be back to actual running by next week. image

• Options

Great news Litimage. A walking pace of 4.8mph is pretty impressive - would give you an HM of about 2:44 and would have placed you 1036 out of 1079 in the Cumbrian Run. 

I'm also presuming that you were on an Easy run when the prostitute approached you Tommy?

If I was in the middle of a tempo or interval session I don't think even the most optimistic prostitute would think I was after some 'action'.

UniChall - I got 12 again so got crushed by Lit and worse by PP - the only thing in my favour is that when the questions are easier (like I think we all agree they were this week) I tend to lose more that I could get because there are two of us competing on speed. Nevertheless I think I would still only have got 15 or 16 so properly beaten.

I'll miss it again next week coz in US so won't get to watch it till Friday night.

• Options

Oh good, now Skinny's seen UniChall I can ask Phil which woman writer he recognised? I got them all except Mrs Gaskell.

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

I'm not sure I'd have the patience for power walking.  Good work!

Virginia Woolf.  After that I had George Eliot lined up as my "keep saying it and eventually it'll be right" answer but she never did.  image

• Options

Ha! mine was Charlotte Bronte (though I did, in fact, recognise the portrait when it came up).

• Options

Tommy - that's sounds like some adventurous running Lol!  I have a few incidents like that nothing quite as extreme though. On my long runs I can be out of the door at 5am and at that time running through Birmingham city centre you see a lot pissed up people. A few weeks ago there were a couple of lads making nuisance of themselves I spotted them and they had this big roll of foam and it looked like they were attacking this guy on a motorbike with it. By the time I had reached them the biker had gone and they were holding the foam across the pavement. They signalled for me to limbo under it so I entertained them for a second and then as I ran past I grabbed the foam and ended pulling this idiot part way down the pavement. I was able to snatch it off him and then got rid of it further down the road.

Bob – That photo does look like some weird running club initiation ceremony. Everyone seems   to have their leg up in the air at the same time lol

After I did that 5 miler on Tuesday I said my legs felt quite heavy. In the evening I started getting some shivers and aches and pains. Now I have full blown flu and I’m off work today. Does not bode to well for Birmingham this Sunday. Just hope all the symptoms have gone by then fingers crossed.

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Thanks again folks for the EA stuff

Good news, Lit

Tommy - that's an impressive list. Other than a Rotweiller chasing me through a cornfield and another time getting 50 yards down the road before realising i only had my boxers on ( fortunately at 5.30am so the neighbours hadn't surfaced)  my runs tend to be fairly uneventful.

• Options

Mace - boxer shorts at 5:30am image

Early morning running is definitely more risky from a wearing right kit point of view - I've walked out of the house twice early morning without shoes on but I only get about a yard till I realise something isn't 'quite' right.

Must be our age!

Hope the flu passes quickly Chris.

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Skinny - that was a January mid-week 15M MLR training for Brighton. Thankfully it was extremely cold or it could have been a few miles before waking up and realising my oversight image

• Options

Stat      Skinny      Lit         Lou     Richard   Tommy   Mace      Bob     McF

Age         45           31          40          43          31         47          42          35

Height     6'0"        5'4"         6'1"      5'10"      6'0"      5'10"        6'1"       5'8"

Weight  10st 4    8st 12     11st 7   11st 0   11st 5    12st12     11st7    9st12

5k/pr      19:15     20:16      20:08    22:53    20:54     18:42      19:47   21.17

5m         31:17     32:12      32:16    38:40    34:46         NT      33:34   37.18

10k        38:52      39:45     40:10    44:02    43:03     41:16      42:42   45.13

HM      1:26:43  1:28:26  1:29:02 1:38:26 1:41:30  1:30:25     NT     1.36.23

HM 2013      2            2           2           10           1            3          0            3

Marathon  NT     3:06:16      N     3:56:57 3:54:19  3:16:52     NT     3.46:19

• Options

Updated for Richard's Coniston 14 which I am controversially calling a HM which takes him to double figures for the year.

Chris - do you have a list of vital statistics you want including? If so then I think we're going to two divisionsimage

• Options

I think it is more controversial to count my DNF as a half marathon. Though I notice I did get points in my club's league table for it! The system seems to be 50% of the points I would have got if I'd completed it in last place.

• Options

PS: anyone who hasn't done a marathon gets to be in Division 2.

• Options

image I was thinking by heightimage

Seriously I think what would be fun is to split it by probably 10k or HM time at first but then keep a tally of every second you improve your PBs by over the year (on distances listed) and redo it each year based on biggest improvers in the year before.

(So fastest PBs wouldn't necessarily be in League 1 by year 2)

After all what we are all after is individual improvement so that is most important thing to all of us.

If you don't have a time at a distance then your first effort doesn't obviously give you any improvement.

All subject of course to Chris actually wanting us to list his vital statistics!image

• Options

Hmm. Not so sure that would work (unless you want to inadvertently adopt my marathon suggestion) because the longer distances are the more likely ones for people to take bigger chunks of their PBs. And I'd also argue that a smaller improvement (in seconds) is harder to get the faster your time already is. I think my second half marathon was over three minutes faster than my first, but I'd be more proud of a 'smaller' improvement on my PB this time, and consider it a better achievement.

• Options

Also, not that the Top Trumps table is the main reason we train, but that system would disincentivise focusing on one distance at a time (sensible training strategy for improvement) in favour of racing all distances to try and improve PBs across the board.

• Options

Divisions could be split by WAVA rating % score perhaps? 

Back with a proper post later.

(Must mention I'm loving the continued adventures of Tommy and his Terrifying Training though! image )

• Options

Ahhh - I see you have been giving this some thought!image

• Options

Not really - just seems like the easiest way to level the playing field at least initially! Extending that to your idea, future promotion / relegation could still be based on improvements, but much simpler by just tracking WAVA percentage changes.

Lit's point is a fair one that longer standing runners would initially be disadvantaged in the first round of promotion/relegation perhaps, but initial gains soon begin to level out. Mine for example: -

Dec '12 to Jul' 13 - 53.75% to 70.04% - +16.29%

Jul '13 to Oct '13 - 70.04% to 70.65% - +0.61%

Whichever way you go, I'll be in Division 2 anyway I'd imagine!

• Options

I think - in spite of any desire to be fair - people just have more fun comparing themselves to and competing with people running similar times. I'd have a massive WAVA advantage being a woman, but I don't think WAVA scores tell me much that I want to know.

• Options

Has Mrs Pooh Pooh got an idea that we can all Pooh Pooh, then? image

• Options

Apart from doing it the old-fashioned way and just using race times, you mean?

• Options

Which race times?

There's 5 of them above - that even then don't cover all distances raced.

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

You lot need Tim Grose to work on some algorithms for you!