Options

P + D training for VLM 2013

Comments

• Options

Mennania, i reckon you have plenty of LSR's already in the bank.

You're doing london, right? I'd be more concerned that doing a hard 18miler and a slow 20miler two days apart might knacker you. Depends on the rest of your week I guess. If you're beginning your taper and your life allwos you to get some good rest over the next 3 weeks, along with the lower running volume, then you shoudl be nicely rested come race day. If however, you're running about like a blue arsed fly for the next 3 weeks, skipping sleep and rest, then perhaps 2 LSR's in quick succession at this stage might take a while to recover from.

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Fiona - apologies for the confusion image

JF50 wrote (see)
    Tenjiso wrote (see)
    JF50 wrote (see)

...just the 4 x 1200m in the under 55 programme

Oops!  I made a mistake and convinced myself that it was 4x1600m, so last week I ran 4 x 1 mile at 5k pace image  

Ten, you mean you didn't have the book close to heartimage

Of course I did.  It's the pre-production third edition, which P&D have asked me to test out.  It's the one which stresses the importance of mile reps and completing the 18/14 MPR exactly as stated.  Like I did. 

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Well, I did Tuesday's 6 mile recovery this morning with tomorrow's 8x 100m strides, so my marathon is well and truly f**ked.

• Options
    Oh god everyone's panicking! image

Most of the hard work is done, the priority now is to avoid injury and maintain fitness.

Tapering is a personal thing but in my opinion less is more when you get closer to the race.

For my first marathon I was ill for 10 days before the race and couldn't run, I was worried whether I could do the race until the day before. When I went out to test my legs I felt fantastic, I've never felt so good running and I know it was the extra rest that made the difference.

I agree with NN, there isn't a run that will improve your fitness in the last few weeks, you've just gotta concentrate on recovering from the last few months of hard training.
  • Options

I haven't really caught up with the thread over the last day or two as like HeOw I have been benched by a non running related ailment. I have an ulcer on my cornea, so looking at this screen is painful, only done 3.3 miles since Sunday and wondering if I get out this afternoon will the cold air in my eye feel unbearable. Also I can't see too well as the drops have blurred my vision. If I do get out I guess I need to do as much of an MLR as I can and maybe do some faster paced intervals in a bit of a catch up attempt. 

• Options

jesus wept pottermiss! that wins the grim ailment of the day award

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Ouch, sorry to hear that Pottermiss. Is the other eye okay? Because if so you might be best off just wearing an eyepatch and protecting the injured one. Less distracting too not to have the blurred vision on one side.

• Options

eye patches can be quite sexy too image

• Options

in the interest of fairness I should mention that the organisers of the 10k i did on Saturday have corrected my result and the people at runbritainrankings have also updated their copy of the results (or resynched or whatever) and both were very helpful and pleasant about it.

• Options
    stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

ouch, pottermiss that sounds horrible & painful.

I was going to suggest sunglasses, but the eye patch sounds more hardcore

• Options

Yes calm down, its too late now whats done/not done is done and taper madness hasnt even kicked in we have all been at this for 3 months through the shittiest weather its time to think about taking it easy.imageimage

Men I know we all made a big deal of the 17/18 with 14 MP but I think its too late in the day now, but I tend to err on the side of caution, its wiped me out for a few days, if I were you I would do the long run tomorrow and 14 with maybe a last 5/6 MP on Monday, you did 10 mp the other night didn't you ?

Ten when did you do that MP run ? Brighton is a week before London so you couldn't have done it 2 weeks out, I was referring to 2 weeks out and the 17 max scheduled, 

Heow looks like you have made your mind up, and yes I didnt realise you had done quite so much, you seem to have been benched a lot that's all, but obviously not as much as I had though image

Chick ALL my V02 max session are shit.I find it really hard to run faster than 10k pace.

Pottermiss ouch..do you wear contact lenses ? I had an ulcer in my eye a few years ago from a dirty lens, I know exactly how you are feeling.

Pilates followed by 8 miles with strides done,

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Sorry NN - I misunderstood.  I'm in the taper now, so I'm in a fragile state of mind and panic at the slightest hint of having done something wrong.  I asked my doctor why I felt like this and after a thorough examination he has diagnosed an extreme case of "Jitters".

Pottermisss - hope you recover from that promptly! 

• Options

Ten I knew  you had miscalculated you just needed to see it in black and white..you will be fine, you have follow the schedule well and followed lots of advice.

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Thanks NN.  I'll calm down by the time I'm three miles into the marathon, I hope.

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

(((pottermiss)))   ouch - that sounds pretty grim. Know what you mean about the cold making the eyes worse. Mine are forever streaming, nicely in synch with me nose when I run in the cold image

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

pottermiss - that sounds rough. Pic please.

Just did my intervals in the gym again as garmin dead. I think problem is if I charge it up from mains, leave it in charger but turn off mains plus switch it drains or something....or my garmin is buggered.

Intervals were tough going...I was a sweaty blubbering mess at the end.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

15West - picture of  you as sweaty blubbering mess?

• Options

Pottermiss hope that goes soon, but the eye patch does sound hard.

Ten I'm glad I read the book before I started, the extra 400m would have hurt although I notice in the week before the race there is an 8 miles with 3 x 1600m at 5k, gulp

NN with you on the pace thing, I think as you get older your 5k and marathon pace are the sameimage

What's happened to my email updates on here?

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

JF50, is the pace thing because as you get older you can run marathons LIKE THE WIND?

I hope so because it is my birthday soon so I will be a whole year older before the marathon.

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    JF50 wrote (see)

Ten I'm glad I read the book before I started, the extra 400m would have hurt although I notice in the week before the race there is an 8 miles with 3 x 1600m at 5k, gulp

It did cross my mind during the run that it was a bit odd running further than 5k at 5k pace image  I specifically programmed it in my garmin too.  What a doughnut image

• Options

Oh no Potter - I hope you are ok sweetheart? Poor you, I feel your pain.  image Hopefully it gets better soon chuck.

Oh yes Literatin - you do get faster at marathons!  Especially women. Problem is, you have to train harder. 

Would I be ok to do the 18 with 14 at MRP 3.5 weeks before or even 3 weeks before? 

Had a shite old time getting tooth out, totally pissed off now with my teeth!  The anaesthetic didn't fully take because I still have infection in gum, so, I kind of gritted teeth and allowed her to extract it not fully anaethitised. It was not pleasant and was in tears but I needed this bad tooth out asap.  Came home and think body went into a bit of shock, was in bad state but after a couple hours sleep, all ok, just hope I can get back on feet after a while.  Dentist said the abcsess a nasty one, hence why I have had flu symptoms - she said if I do run next week, I must take it easy.  Will take it day by day.  

NN - I have looked at weekly mileage and if you remember, in Jan, I had bad cough with asthma?  Well I only took few days off and lowest mileage then was 18 miles that week.  Then in March, foot played up but managed to run 8 miles that week.  So, even though seems I have been benched a lot, I haven't really.  THis is worst week of the whole 4 months but you also were floored for a week too?  Impossible really to get through the whole 16 weeks.

How many of us on here have managed every single session?  I think a few have? 

• Options

Heow, it felt like a week and I know I kicked up a fuss and moaned but it was actually only 3 days without running and one of those days was a rest day  image I still did 42 miles that week. Make sure you do as the dentist says  you poor thing sounds dreadful. 

• Options

HeOw yes, I wishimage  Hope the tooth and absess soothe down quickly.

I have missed one session, a 7 mile recovery with strides and to be honest that has amazed me, thought I would miss more because of work and other things.  Mind you I think if I didn't run first thing in the morning for many of them I would have missed more and some days it has made me a wreck later on at work.  My OH only recognises me in trainers now, must take her out soon, oh I am to London on the 21st, she can watch me in err trainers!

• Options

Thanks folks, I am pleased how quickly it is improving now I have the right medication. I do wear contact lenses, so that is probably the cause. 

I managed a run, I had sunglasses in one pocket, eye patch in another (just in case), but did the run with slightly tinted prescription glasses and it was fine, it just feels itchy now as if there is something in it. 

Anyway I did the 4 x 1200s in a 9.5mile run. I think I did a fairly reasonable 5k pace for each (should be 8.23) reps were 8:37, 8:07, 8:23 and 8:12, Two of them into a headwind, but my glasses seemed to offer enough protection for the eye situation.

HeOw that sounds really traumatic, you get the bravery award! I hope you are soon fully recovered. 

I have shaved a few miles off the plan here and there, missed a long run and did a half marathon instead of the 18 with 14, so I will adjust down my taper accordingly it is definately too much for me as written, I was thinking of long runs of 12 and 8 the two weekends before the race but I might be being too easy on myself, maybe 14 and 10.

• Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

First month wasnt anywhere near but the middle session I am between the upto 55 and upto 75 sessions. Last two weeks due to injury and snow are well down. But I am a huge chunk up on last years preperations when i got a 3.13image.

Still thinking about 20 with a chunk at MP tomorrow - will see how I feel but this is more for confidence than anything else.

Hope you are feeling better HeOw and Pottermiss.

• Options
    Go CazGo Caz ✭✭✭
    Isn't being easy on yourself the whole idea of the taper, Pottermiss? HeOw, loved your post about us all turning hysterical over the next few weeks and obsessing over the weather forecast etc. We all need a dose of your good sense. Hope you are feeling better.
  • Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

What is it with kids getting sick during holidays?  Within an hour of the Easter Holiday starting, my daughter has Chicken Pox image  

• Options
    Ten - oh no.

Well I'm up bright and early this Good Friday to get my 22 miles out of the way

Potter miss - I always wear sunglasses when running as I find my contacts get really dry otherwise. I found a pair in lidl which have interchangeable lenses so I can still use then in the dark.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Morning all - happy Good Friday to you all. Off out for a 14mi run this morning, actually a very nice morning here so looking forward to it.

• Options

Good morning 15W, good morning everyone! Beautiful morning here too so I'm going to see if I can upgrade my 11M mlr to a 12 or 13 before work starts at midday.

Haven't had time to drop in for a while as my work schedule is mental...still don't have a proper day off til next Friday. Seems like people are getting a little edgy round these parts as we get to the sharp end of the schedule, but good advice coming in from the seasoned regulars.

Can anyone advise me what to do for Sunday's final LSR? The schedule says 20 but I haven't yet managed a 22. Is it too late in the game to reap the benefits of a 22?

I'm on the 55 schedule but been throwing in a few extra miles. Just compared the 55 and 70 schedules for next week: 55ers have a VO2max session that 70ers don't. Why would that be?