P + D training for VLM 2013

Comments

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Don't want to piss anyone off but I retire in July image 30 years service getting out while I still have the chance and a pension image

750m taper swim this morning image will give the parkrun a blast tomorrow.

Pottermiss where in Canada is your dad living?

A mate of mine came fourth at Snowdon last year.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭

NP - seriously, you make me sick.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I wish I were retired.

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

My ongoing life curve ball straightened up and has been smashed out the parkimage 

I am finishing on Thurs and what ever work chucks at me my stress levels are going to be nothing compared to what they have been for a while, Kinavit!!

All of my right leg is aching after my 8 with 3 milereps LIT - 1 at MP (6.40) and two at 10k (5.58). Crawled home in late 8s. Well dodged and dont think about doing it. Just 13 left on Sunday nowimage.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Good thing you didn't sell your place then.

Well done to Men and all others who completed their mile reps. An important session, I understand.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Probably the most important session. 

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Nah, 15w, that would be the 22 with 10 at mp.image I dont think you did that one either did you lit?image

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I just ate a fuckload of raw beetroot though so I'm on track to win VLM.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Hi all.

Arrived in Brighton and have picked up race number.  Seems like the wind is likely to be the biggest factor along the coast.  Very brisk this afternoon image

Hotel is opposite the start of the race, so ideal for dealing with the pre-race trots image

I was going to do a short run tomorrow, but having walked about six miles today I'm going to spend the day reading and putting my feet up.  My legs feel tired right now! image

Early night tonight.  Hope the kids settle down soon!!!

Enjoy your MLR's this weekend everyone. 

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Was wondering when you'd sign in Ten. image

Remember one thing and one thing only come Sunday... Dont be shit!*

*wholesale theft from much faster forum

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

If windy Ten, run in a crowd as much as poss...

• Ten - best of luck. I currently trying to figure out how to follow you on Facebook . I'm not very familiar with it being a social media phobe. Except RW obviously.

I want to retire too. Only about 30 years to go. image

Men - 3x 1 mile definitely v. Important.

HeOw - best of luck with the plan to win snowdon

NN and Pottermiss - very jealous of the hols. I wish it was me, but in some ways the week passes quicker when at work.
  • I forgot to mention that I meant win the raffle for a Snowdonia snowglobe.  

Ten - chuck, a marathon by the sea... windy?! image  You will be fine. Parachute launch mile 20 and you are home dry. 

My life is one long holiday to be fair.  Life of a stay at home Mum. I would actually go to work for a break! 

Men - you fucked up, you didn't do the reps at 5k pace.  You won't even get past the first drinks station at VLM.

Can anyone tell me why we do tune up races day before long run?  Seems a bit evil to me.

• HeOw - only P&D really know. However the general consensus on here was to do with long runs on tired legs or something.

I don't think being a stay at home mum is a holiday, but I think it would be nice not to have to squeeze all the housework and cooking etc around work cos it just feels like I have 2 jobs to do.
  • Fiona, piece of piss being at home, any stay at home Mum who disagrees, is lying.  If I had to work, as well as sorting my three out and the house, I would be living in One Flew over Cuckoos Nest set. image  I take my hat off to anyone who juggles it.  Hopefully I will be able to work though once youngest in school! 

Yes, I thought that re the tune up race.  makes sense I suppose! Bastards.

• I've been a stay at home mum of 3, they grew up! And now I am glad for holidays.

NP my dad lives near London Ontario, has been there for 21 years this year, loves it image
  • Work is overrated Heow! NP I also hate you for being able to retire. Think how bloody good you will get if you can train full time? - as I said I hate you. ha.

Glad the mile reps were the most important session of the plan. I just did 8 with 3. well sort of. The first mile was done at 5.18 pace (it was down hill and I got carried away). And after that I didn't have the stomach for a further 2. So I did a couple of random 0.75 miles and a couple of 0.5 mile reps. Unsuprisingly they got nowhere near the 5.18 pace again! This almost uncertainly means I will now f**k up the marathon! Oh well, marathons are overrated too! 

Ten - good luck. Try not to worry about the wind. Just get in a nice group and let them shield you and do all the work. Oh yeah, and what Men said - I love that quote! Inspirational. 

• NP you lucky bugger, how much training will you be able to fit in then.  6 years left for me, I just fit in the retire at 65 bracket, most of you probably can't even forecast yet when you'll retire, I'm guessing when you are about 90 or something, state pension should have dropped to about £3 a week by then, mainly because you'll still be paying for NP image

Meanwhile I am at bloody work again for a long Saturday shiftimage  I wonder how many customers will want to beat the sh1t out of me today?

Still just a 12 miler slow run tomorrow, dress rehearsal I reckon as the weather is more promising and will be able to dump hat/gloves/jacket/leggings that have seen me through just  about all the other training.

• stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

Ten - good luck tomorrow and just remember Men's advice image

Pottermiss - very jealous of your time off before & after the marathon and chuffed for you to have your Father coming all that way to watch you.

NP - Can't even begin to say how jealous I am of you retiring this year, but I get the impression you've deserved it.

I'm similar to JF50 in that I'm just looking forward to leaving the hat & gloves at home for the next week for the last couple of runs.  That last, CRITICAL interval session of 3x 1m at 5k pace means its just the easy runs left image

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I bet if I had bothered doing the mile reps they'd have been really good. So there.

Today the sun is out so I'm just about to risk the cold and go out in shorts. Seems ridiculous that I haven't yet managed to run in my race day shorts with only just over a week to go. No hat or gloves but still in a long-sleeved top. 7 miles with STRIDES is a bit like mile reps, right?

• macemace ✭✭✭
    Not posted here for months but have been lurking and taking an interest in all your training.

Ten - I'm in the Preston travelodge ( I assume that's the one you mean ) with my wife and kids. Perfect location for the start,not so good from the finish .... Will have to seek refuge in a pub for several hours until my legs can't feel anything

All the best to you for tomorrow. I'm 8669 , give me a shout if our paths cross before the start
  • Ten, in case I don't get time to post later, best of luck for tomorrow. Enjoy yourself and run strong and smart. I'm sure by now you know exactly what to do. Go Ten.

• Yes go Ten.  Have a great run (remember the subtle last minute training hint from Menimage)

You too Mace

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Thanks all, but please don't mention shit again image  I'm more worried about localised wind (localised to the hotel room).  How many imodium am I allowed to take per hour?  I'm very busy resting today.

Mace - yeah I'm in preston park too.  I didn't realise how far it was away from the finish until walking it with the family yesterday.  Hopefully there'll be some buses! 

• macemace ✭✭✭
    Ten - no 5 or 5a bus outside the hotel, very regular every 5-10 mins or so. Buses I mean, not shit !! 10 quid for an all day ticket for a family of 4

Talking of the brown stuff, I need to lay off the malt loaf today !!

Cheers J50
  • Tenjiso wrote (see)

Thanks all, but please don't mention shit again image  I'm more worried about localised wind (localised to the hotel room).  How many imodium am I allowed to take per hour?  I'm very busy resting today.

Mace - yeah I'm in preston park too.  I didn't realise how far it was away from the finish until walking it with the family yesterday.  Hopefully there'll be some buses! 

I think you have to insert them Ten, till a tight fitimage

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Ten, hope you are having a lovely restful morning. If it was me I'd be reading all the Saturday papers while scoffing toasted teacakes. Just tried to set up stalking you on twitter, but the flashupdates app seems to be suggesting that it if I sign up it will tweet updates from my account (rather than just showing me them). Don't suppose you've got a twitter feed we can all follow instead? I don't want to pretend to be you running the marathon just to get the updates.

• Lit - I'm glad it's not just me. A similar thing was happening with Facebook.
  • Ten, just popped into say good luck for tomorrow, I am looking forward to reading your race report.As for the immodium on the morning I wait till I have "been" no problem with that due to the nerves, then I take 2....always works for me.