Options

P + D training for VLM 2013

Comments

• Options
    3.04, didn't feel good at any point during the race really but stuck to the plan.. Was still on course for 2.58 with about 4 miles to go and the wheels came off.

Was really dissapointed after the race but I gave it my best shot and it was a 12 minute pb so all in all it hasn't been a bad day.

Been looking at other marathons later in the year because I feel like I've got unfinished business with the marathon still!

Well done everyone else today, Lit and 15w awesome!!
  • Options

Bloody brilliant stuff happening today!  

Well done 15W, brilliant effort and a PB by how much?   

Al, still a great time, irrelevant of wheels falling off but I know what you mean, if you have a target in mind and see it slipping, it can leave bitter taste BUT you will feel differently tomorrow, well done to you also.

Chick - flaming hell woman!  How old are you again?  That is one brilliant time, I am in awe, you are so inspirational.  

Mark - sorry to hear you are disappointed but please, you have to take a 12 min PB as something very special indeed, you can definitely work towards sub 3 for next and you will do it.  

Surrey - again, sorry to hear it didn't go to plan, you did brilliantly though and again, you PB'd, you have to be happy with that!  

FInal mention has to go to Literatin.  OH MY FUCKING GOD!!!!  YOU FUCKING SMASHED IT.  I cannot believe you did a 3:06 for a marathon NEVER MIND your first!  You are one shit hot runner matey and I am gobsmacked.  If you were male, that surely would be similar to running a 2:45 for your first marathon!  I hope you are chuffed as hell.  Outstanding work. 

Anyone heard how everyone else done?  NP?  Chris?  Fiona? Potter? 

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Yeah - that's a good time Lit - bags you another champs place for next year too...?

• Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Ten - that fetch calculator suggested a 1.23.41 would give you a 3.03.30 and is uncannily accurate - if you are 4 mins slower than meimage

2.59.25 and a hard day at the office. Will post full report tomorrow.

Some superb efforts here, look forward to a long read of all the reports tomorrow.

Well done all

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Fantastic running, Chick, Lit, 15 West, Men, Mark, Al and Surrey.

Bad day at the office for me I took stomach cramps after half way looked for loo for two or three miles every step was painful after the first loo stop got back on pace but had to stop again because of stomach cramps after the second stop every step was painful an I walked just over the last six miles for 3:42 so a shit run pardon the pun. Saw NN at around mile 13 and also Chris who was moving well at that point. Not sure what the reason was for the stomach cramps suffered with it or a fe hours after but on a positive note my legs are fresh as f..k image
  • Options

Hi all

Just thought I'd report in with my race result for anyone who's interested - I ran 2:59:05 (Race No 29870 starting from the Green Start) so acheived my sub 3 target. My plan all along was to maintain sub 3 pace to mile 20 and then push the last 6 if I had anything left. in the end I was just glad to be able to maintain the 6:50 pace as I found it really tough from 19 miles onward. I ran my last 5k split in the exact same time as my first (21:08) so was pleased that my pacing was consistent, and all in all a great day with unbelievable support the whole way round)

As an aside my previous marathon PB was 3:13:38 so to beat it by over 14 minutes is a massive testament to the P&D system (I followed it religiously) I think.

Many congrats to all the other great times ran by everybody today, I hope you all now take a well earned rest (I'm drinking beer @ the moment for the 1st time in 5 months and boy dose it taste good!)

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Oh no NP - what a nightmare. Bad luck mate. Wonder what it was...? you think something you've eaten? Impressed that you carried on and walked, think I would have DNF'd.

Blooming aching like an aching thing here - god knows what the DOMS is going to be like for next few days....

Thought marathon was amazing today, you've got to give it a go HeOw, Craig, AG, Ten and anyone else I missed....

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Brilliant effort Dave - well done! Bagged yourself a FGFA for next year too....

One thing I noticed, FGFA field was almost soley men. When joined that champs runners seemed to be a lot more women.

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Save fantastic running sir and a great PB.

15 West not 100% sure might have been the porridge at the hotel I normally have it very think but it was very milky and runny, like I said I felt ok and was on plan at the halfway point. image
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Will catch up properly later... sorry to hear you didn't have a good day, NP. Obviously I've already stalked everyone on the race results, but am glad to hear it was that rather than an injury that'd take a while to get over.

15W, I think if you're fast enough for FGFA and you're a woman, then you'd just be championship, which is why it's all blokes on the FGFA start.

• Options

Thanks 15W - I take it FGFA for a 49 yr old is under 3 hrs then? (awesome time btw, amazing effort)

Congrats again to all the P&D runners today' it was an amazing experience

• Options

Just a quick report 3.33.55 so better than I first expected, a bit slower than I perhaps thought I might do, but overall pleased, I have lost 45 seconds over 5 years. Was in pen 5 so slow start and a couple of miles where it was so tight and overtaking tough.

Celebrity overtakes Ed Balls very early, Iwan Thomas at 10 miles who I believe fell apart in the 2nd half

• Options

2.54.38. Too tired to read back (will do in the morning). Elated, overwhelmed and bloody proud. Smashed it! 

• Options

I also had a bit of stomach cramps about half way.  I had taken diocalm before hand which stopped accidents but still felt the cramps though.  I put it down to the heat plus carrying a bit of a calf injury.  Saw a women at about mile 23 who had done the number 2 will still running not a pleasant sight or small but I suppose it shows dedication.

Re my injury I was actually in a bit of pain before the race, seemed to be the right calf where it joins the shin.  Had bought a pair of trainers mid March and the manufactures had changed the sizing so that they were too small and my foot was landing awkwardly. Managed to get a pair of last year's model for the race but the damage had been done.

• Options
    15W and Lit - those are amazing times. I hope you are suitably hungover today. Seriously impressive. And chick, amazing time as well.

Mark - given the circumstances I think that's a pretty awesome time as well. You have had one rough ride lately. So just be really proud of what you have done in very difficult times.

Men - congrats on the sub 3. Never in doubt.

NP - really sorry to hear about your 'issues'. You were looking so strong when we chatted. We all know you will be back to run amazing times.

Might do a brief report later. But suffice to say that London was out of this world and couldnt have asked for s better debut marathon. Just checked that telegraph article with my quotes in it - thanks whoever mentioned it. Quite funny seeing your profile name in print.
  • Options
    Morning all. Sorry it's taken so .ong to report but now iPad struggles to open page in addition to phone.

Well done to 15W,Lit (told you you could do it), Chris, Men,Chick and Surrey. Fabulous running.

nP - sounds like you had an unpleasant run there but you were stil faster than me!

mark - sorry to hear your race wasn't so good but the circumstances weren't the best really were they. Still a great time and as you say maybe another.

Sorry to keep you all in suspenseimage

I DID IT.
  • Options
    3:59:15 so not by a long way but still sub 4. Also like Ten for the first time ever I ran every single step. I am also now the proud holder go the world Guinness record for fastest marathon dressed as doctor (female). Actually I'm also faster than the bloke cos they changed the rules so I had to be sub 4 whereas his was 4:20 or something.

Legs feeling sore this morning but not awful.
  • Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

did what, Fiona ?????

c'moooooon - tell us - the suspense is killing me!!

Great results Dave, Men, JF & Chris

(((NP))) really sorry to hear about stomach issues. True nightmare. But what a trooper to battle on regardless. Not sure I would have bothered if things had gone that way for me. That's fighting spirit. Goes to show you firefighters are a tough breed image

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

ahhhhh xpost Fi. Bloody brilliant!!! Massive congrats image

HeOw wrote (see)

Chick - flaming hell woman!  How old are you again?  That is one brilliant time, I am in awe, you are so inspirational.  

image   I'm 45 in May, HeOw. There's still live in them old bones image

Lit: still can't believe how fast your ran. 3:06 in your first marathon is beyond belief. I was a full hour slower in my first one. And you have youth on your side. Sub 3 next image

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Really, really well done to all of you yesterday.  I was supporting at mile 11 and then again at mile 23 and it really wasn't pretty by that point - quite an eye opener to see it from the other side of the fence.

Some amazing times being posted - I salute you all.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Fiona - congrats on going sub 4...great effort - and well done on the record!! Just thing what you could achieve dressed as a runner?

Chris - congrats mate, sub 2.55 on first marathon is very impressive....when's the next one then?

Men - congrats on the sub 3 - does that put you in the FGFA group - or are you not that old yet?!

JF50 - well done on a great time - you seem pretty consistent!

I'm going to have to "work from home" today, am suffering the after affects this morning. Can't walk properly. Our puppy wanted me to run with him this morning but there was no way that was happening.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

yer-maj, you probably saw me at mile 23, I was the really tired looking one! Actually the whole last few miles I didn't really take in my surroundings such as the crowds and buildings etc., I was just soley concentrating on keeping it together. From about mile 10  I counted in my head from 1 to 8 (I think I may have been actually saying the numbers out loud at a few points) and that helped me focus.

• Options
    stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

Hi All, was unable to keep in touch over the weekend as for some reson the web site failed to load on the iPhone, so I've quickly skim read the posts from the last few days.

Came in at 3:30:15, well short of my 3:15 target that I was happily keeping pace with until mile 17, where I had a bit of stomach cramping (probably the heat?).  Kept going thorugh this, just easing up a little and hoping to pick up the pace later, but after Mile 21 my legs started to go.  I ended up nursing myself home with 3;30 as a target, so happy with the result in the end - I had nothing left to kick on the Mall so I feel I gave it everything. Its a new PB by about a minute & a half, which was Plan B if I couldn't hit 3:15.

A big thank you to Colin Jackson, who stopped a guy in a Gorilla outfit for a TV interview within the last mile.  If he hadn't done that the gorilla would have beat me image (much repsect for the guy in the outfit, he was obviously suffering in the heat but kept playing to the crowd)

London was an amazing experience, the crowd support was phenomenal.

Congrats to everyone - especially Lit and 15W with those great results.

PS Anyone else sunburnt?  Only realised when I picked up my rucksack to get off the train at 8pm last night.  I look like the classic British tourist with the red outline of my vest image 

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

well done stutyr - it was a tough day. Looks like stomach cramps got a few people.

• Options

Not sure too many more to report in

Chick great PB, more to come from you.

Lit, wow that is some first marathon, flying start

AR still a great run, I think we all know this run is a tough one and little things can make so much difference to times

15W that is a great time and what a first London, you deserve that stiffness this morning!

SR that is still some PB, peeling minutes away is brilliant

Mark I think that is a great PB after the events of the last couple of weeks for you

Men, sub 3, great run.

NP after the hours of training I know we all feel for you, the word shit has been used on the thread a lot recently, didn't think it would be anybody's downfall on the day.

DP4 sub 3 and a 14 mins PB, congratulations

Chris looks like a great sub 3 for you, great run

Fiona, sub 4 and a world record, wow, and we shared a thread.  Great run

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Fiona - I was stalking and could see you were running very consistently.  You nailed it, and congratulations on being the record holder!

Chris - damn right you should be proud! Well done.

JF50 - brilliant time.  You overtook Iwan before he fell apart.

NP - Sorry to see you had a bad day. I was aware something was wrong and thought for a moment you had pulled out.  Well done for finishing when many would have given up.  I know you'll bounce back soon.  I took my normal breakfast with me to my hotel, because I'm paranoid about being at the mercy of what's available in the morning.  I assume the answer is probably "no", but do you normally take immodium before a long race?  

DP - brilliant result and great PB!  Which P&D plan were you following?

Mark - 12 minute PB?  Not too shabby! image  Great result and something to be proud of.

Looking forward to the race reports from everybody!  Don't forget the fifth Mesocycle! image

• Options

Well run Stutyr, still a pb even with the problems.  I've got a tshirt tan as well

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Stutyr - LOL @ gorilla.  Well done on the PB!  You set a tough target and gave it your all on the day, so you have every reason to be happy.  (P.S. I got beat by Peppa Pig image)

Pottermiss is the only missing one I can think of at the moment.

• Options

Congratulations everybody. Some cracking times run yesterday (and last week Ten!).image It's been great reading this thread. I'm starting the P&D 55 mile schedule next week for Chester (with an extra 5 weeks built in to insure against illness, injury and holidays!) and you lot have been my guinea pigs - no insult intended! image

Can't wait to see how HeOw and the others do next week at Manchester - good luck!

• Options

Got the day off today so had time to look through my Garmin stats and the 5k splits off the chip times.  Sort of disappointed that I didn't crack 3.30, but I suppose we all  want that improvement however slight.

Starting in Pen 5 meant I was behind from the start for the first couple of miles but then got into a fairly consistent pace, not sure where Ed Balls started but I passed him at about 1.5 miles and he was at a slow pace.  Also hit a couple of slower miles later on where it was just so tight and seemed to be so many people slowing down that it was difficult maintaining.  I overtook the 4 hour pacer, the 3.56 pacer which I guess is 9 minute miling, 3.45 pacer, but never quite caught the 3.30 pacer though I could see him ahead in the distance a couple of times.

I suffered slightly from feeling like I needed a poo, it  raised it's head a few times in the last 10 miles, I stopped taking gels in case it was that although I had used them on long runs.  I also stopped drinking too much because even water seemed to want to come through, just swilled my mouth out over the last 5 miles or so but felt fine with it.  Let's finish the shit bit, had an enormous gel/lucozade dump at the charity function, in the toilets I mean!

Overtook Iwan Thomas at about 10, I thought he looked good for about 4 hours though I believe he fell apart later.  he seemed to have somebody pacing him.

The rest of the race seemed to go fine, really pleased with consistency of 5k splits 26.03/25.21/25.18/25.04/24.58/25.12/25.30.  Ran the first half in 1.47.10, second half in 1.46.45, first time I have done that, thank you P&D.

So I ran 45 seconds slower than I did 5 years ago but I think I actually ran better and but for Pen 5 perhaps might have shaved a bit more off.  Overall image