P + D training for VLM 2013

Comments

• Mark, changing shift patterns is worse I think than permanent nights , at least I can get into a pattern and I sleep better during the day than at night now, on my run of 3 nights I get up late on the first day run in the afternoon then get ready for work....sleep till about 4 the next day then run late afternoon then work , then the same the next day, I also work one afternoon a week to make hours up to full time and on that day I run mid morning and go to work at 2pm. On my 3 days off  with no young children or anything to worry about I can run when I like

JF50 but it easy for you blokes you dont have to worry about drying and straightening hair as well (or do you ?)image hope you take the wife a cuppa when you get in, 

• stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

Completed the 5 mile recovery this morning - also in nice new shoes!  A combination of Xmas and Jan sales mean I have two new pairs to break in image.  Took it nice and easy as really struggled with the LT run yesterday.

I'll be doing a JF50 tomorrow as well - normally the alarm goes at 5am, but it'll have to be earlier to fit in the 10m MLR before getting the kids up.  I need at least half an hour before getting out the door, as I struggle to put one foot in front of the other before my first mug of coffee!

• NN, why do you think I get up so earlyimage.  Spend hours on my hair and then find my head torch ruins it!  At the moment you could go out in what you want at 5am, nobody is going to see it!  I know my place when it comes to pouring the first tea of the dayimage

• Mark, do you often have a problem with stiff shoulders and is it your dominant arm? I used to get shoulder pain on fast intervals because my neck and shoulder muscles are tight anyway and I had a slightly 'hunched' posture -- managed to improve it massively with sports massage (and also just paying more attention to my arm position all the time, following physio's advice) and now make sure I stretch my shoulders just as much as my legs after all runs.

And I've embraced 'wavy' (aka messy) hair to get rid of the need to drying/straightening. I tell myself it's the fashionable 'bed hair' look...

• NN - you are right about changing shifts it is hard to keep a good sleeping routine. Saying that i dont know if id like to work permanent nights.

literatin - Not really, I swim alot so I should have quite flexible shoulders, I do remember thinking to myself to swing my arms a bit more when I was doing the intervals yesterday, it's my own fault for trying to run like Linford Christie!

I took some ibuprofen this morning and its a bit better now, just finished the 14 miles in 1.53, lovely day for running again.
  • Is anybody doing the race for a charity?

I don't usually bother because I don't like asking for money but a few people have asked if I'm running for charity.

I think people associate the London marathon with charity.

I was thinking it might be good to raise some money if I can.
  • Mark I'm raising money for Arthritis Research, just because it is an event people will sponsor you for so an opportunity to support something

• A couple of people have offered me money, so I'm also thinking I might find a charity to run for since it seems a shame to miss the opportunity if people are queuing up to donate. Was going to wait until nearer the time then pick a smaller charity that wouldn't normally get to raise money at VLM.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

I may do also mark - but I also don't like asking people for money, especially as have done it 3 or 4 times in the past. But this is my first VLM so feel like I should for some reason.

• Literatin - I too embrace the non-straightened hair, however, mine is a huge frizzy mess if I don't do something with it so I generally have a neat plait at work.

I usually get up at 5:30 to run, but for the last few weeks I've been so tired I've just switched the alarm off.  I don't like running in the evening cos it seems to take up the whole night, by the time you run, shower and then eat it's bedtime.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

14 miles at lunchtime today. I can't do really early mornings, I mean I can...but it would mean being in bed by 9pm, and I'm not doing that.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    15West wrote (see)

14 miles at lunchtime today. 

Jeez... I wish I was that fast!  If I started 14 miles at lunchtime, it would be teatime when I finished.

• 15 - do you get an hour for lunch or 30mins?
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭

I get as long as I like really - pretty flexible at my work. As long as work gets done, no questions asked.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

took me about 1hr 50 btw.

• 15w well done impressive pace I am still thinking about my 14 , wont start it till about 6.30   its club night.

• 15 - I was trying to be funny by guessing if you did 14 miles in an hour or half an hour!
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭

Oh. Thought you might be, but can never be sure!

• I am glad it's not just me who is confused about the Strides, I had a go at them in last night's run, ended up guessing the distance and got them between 0.05 and 0.07 so not too bad, average about 25 secs. Didn't much like doing them in the dark though around the streets, too many pavements to hop on and off so I didn't give them as much effort as I should have and ended up only doing 7 image Can't wait until the lighter evenings. 

15West - 14 miles in your lunchbreak is great, I wish my job could be that flexible, I have got a great boss but that might be a stretch too far! 

Ten - I am following your training for 2 things, you are one week ahead of me so I can see what's coming and your aiming for a time in the marathon that I am also hoping to reach, for me probably not this April but hopefully in the next 12 months or so. I am glad it is going so well for you image 

It's a really nice positve thread. Everyone seems to be getting on great so far, but it's hard to keep up, everytime I look in on this thread I have pages to catch up on.

Recovery 5 miles for me today, slow but over a hilly route.  

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

I wouldn't get too hung up about the strides, they are useful but less important than the long runs, the tempo runs and the intervals (and decent recovery time). If my legs are feeling knackered when really getting into the schedules than I often skip the strides, or at least do a few but half heartedly.

I bought a new pair of trainers today. I have so many running trainers now it's getting silly, might have to chuck a few me thinks.

I was only going to do the one marathon this year but now thinking York marathon as I have family there (also tempted by Snowdonia). Must resist.

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Wow lots of reading back.

15 West nice run 14 miles in the bank, up to 90+ miles if the body hold outimage.

JF50 Good running but don't kick the cat so hardimage keep the OH sweet with the tea it works wonders, I have to support mine in her hobby shoe and handbag shopping lol.....

Ten nice and in new trainers.

Stutyr same for you and in new trainers.

Mark nice 14 miles.

Pottermiss well done out on the hills.

14 miles for me tonight legs a little on the heavy side.

• MarkfMarkf ✭✭✭

Evening P&D'rs!

Just found this thread and been reading back. I used P&D up to 55 m last year for 1st mara VLM (3hr 24) and following again this year 55-70 to aim for sub 3.15 this time at London.

Making a few changes but overall sticking with the schedule including more 20+ rus.

14 done this eve in 1hr 53 and now watching the football.

How much core work are people doing? I've been niggle free so far but am light on core work since increasing mileage, just not enough time.

15 I agree about strides, they were the one session last time round i would sacrifice.

HM a week on Sunday (BM at York), so thinking about mini taper next week.

• Evening

Welcome Mark keep posting there's plenty of support and advice here (not that many of us have a clue what we are on about )image

NP well done on the 14, I guess you have done a lot of miles its bound to tell sooner or later that tempo pace you did  yesterday is probably still in the legs

My original plan went out the window I decided to run on my own rather than mixing it with club run ( unsociable person that I am  ) so I could control pace and profile , I didn't want too many hills. I started nice and easy gradually upping the pace comfortably .

So 14.2 in 2.11 ( ave pace 9.13)

9.40...9.30...9.11...9.10...9.14..9.21... 8.58 ....9.04...9.08...9.06...9.10...8.49...8.49...8.46

last bit .2  in 1.49

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Welcome mark where in Hull are you from?

NN running on your own is ok most of mine are done when others are still in bed at dark o'clock in the morning. Great running I'm having my Horlicks now and going to bed lolimage
  • Ovaltine light for me image

• Hello and welcome Mark!

I'm also doing the BM in York next week, can't wait to race!

I try to do a core routine every other day, I started doing core work last year while I was training for an ironman race and it kept me injury free even I was doing lots of training.

My friend is a physio and he says that a lot of running injurys he sees could be prevented with some regular core work.

NN - nice run, it seems like everyone's training is going well so far.
  • MarkfMarkf ✭✭✭

Cheers NN & NP. Lots of impressive running happening on here!

Not in Hull NP, bout an hour n half away but get to all home matches. Grandad from their so got him to blame for supporting them. Sitting pretty in 2nd place in the championship though ahead of the other Mark on heres' team image

Good running NN and agree you should be looking for sub 3.30 with the mp miles you've been hitting so far.

• Did my 14 today.  Got a bit carried away after last nights strides and did it in 1.39.  Firtuneately tomorrow is a recovery day.

For core work I do 1 or 2 one hour sessions in the gym each week, which include quite a few situps.

• Mark how did the Iron man go ? was it a full IM ? my son has just signed up for the Cotswold half IM in June his first move up from olympic distance, as for core work I make a half hearted attempt everyother day (or less)

NP  I see you are back on page 1, I am on page 2, still hanging in there