P + D training for VLM 2013

Comments

• I think the recommendation in the book for long runs (slower than MP) is to do the faster part at the end because that simulates the marathon experience better (running at a strong pace when you're already tired). But it also says that the point of doing marathon pace runs is to simulate the conditions of the real marathon. So if that's VLM which is quite flat I think it makes perfect sense to do your marathon segment in the middle, as the conditions will be more similar.

• Dave,

I too did the MK marathon, finished about two minutes before you. Weather was horrendous as you describe. One of my reasons for doing p d was to become more resilient and still run fast even in poor conditions.
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    literatin wrote (see)

I think the recommendation in the book for long runs (slower than MP) is to do the faster part at the end because that simulates the marathon experience better (running at a strong pace when you're already tired). 

That's how I understand it.  My cooldown is jog/walk/stretch after the end of the long run.

• MarkfMarkf ✭✭✭

Nice and easy 5 mile rec run tonight. Busy on here again and agreed on MP miles at the end.

15w, I also use that core workout, well done for the early start! Is anybody using the core stuff in P&D?

BM race pack arrived today and the forecast of snow image

Mark well done on the full IM,especally in that heat, must have been a great experience. Seems the only hm our way in March is the Northumberland half, just north of Newcastle.

• Lunchtime Runner - just my opinion, but I think that you should find 8m at PMP hard just now. If it was easy at this early stage of training then I'd suggest that maybe your PMP wasn't ambitious enough.

Having said that, I'm constantly reviewing my PMP and revised it to something more realistic after the 13m with 8 at PMP session that you have just done.

I've had to postpone my 10m GA as I seem to have picked up a slight calf niggle. image

I noticed it during last night's recovery run and it's been a bit tender today. I don't think it's anything serious so will hopefully be able to catch up tomorrow.

I've also booked a sports massage for the weekend, hopefully that will sort it out.

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Welcome Agent Ginger.

Second 7 mile run of the day doneimage

• Hello and welcome Dave and Agent Ginger, this is turning into a great thread!

5 easy miles today, I'm feeling quite tired this week.
  • Hello same here mark I am shattered and I haven't even done my nights this week yet ! Just done my afternoon shift today.5 easy miles for me  and a few weights at the gym. 11 MLR tomorrow before my first night shift 

will read back properly tomorrow looks like the threads getting busy,image time for horlicks image

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Morning all,

Had a rough day at work yesterday which meant working into the evening. Sometimes I hate my job. Anyone want to set up a running/training/holiday resort/camp somewhere exotic?

11 miles today. Going to be a cold weekend ahead, remember those gloves!

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Terrible night's sleep, so had to drag my carcass out of bed this morning.  5m recovery run on the treadie has helped, but I'm knackered image  Taking daughter to Doctor's soon.  She has a sore throat and some congestion - which is why I didn't get hardly any sleep.

• 5m recovery for me as well, on the treadmill.  15m medium long run over the weekend, probably tomorrow as my daughters are treating me to lunch on Sunday, and it may get it done before any snowimage

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

There's a mixed weather forecast for my area tomorrow.  One has it snowing from 5am and all show wind-chill taking the perceived temperature down by a further 10F.  D'oh! Like the run isn't going to be challenging enough already.  I must remember to wear two pairs of gloves - I feel so much colder when my fingers are going numb!

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    15 West if you include scuba diving I'm your manimage

Recovery runs for most today so enjoy, NN we will all feel tired over the next 12 weeks or soimage

54x25 m swim front crawl this morning out later for 6 miles easy image
  • No Pain wrote (see)
    NN we will all feel tired over the next 12 weeks or soimage

Reading this sat in bed !! but I do have an excuse , nice lie in and late start to the day my first night shift tonight.

NP why 54 ? strange number I would have to do 50 OR the full mile well done anyway,

No recovery run for me ? whats going on my schedule is 11 MLR (FIRST EDITION )

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    NN enjoy your lie in, why 54 well it's 10 short of a mile lol, you must get the second editionimage
  • No Pain wrote (see)
    NN enjoy your lie in, why 54 well it's 10 short of a mile lol, you must get the second editionimage

But that would mean my very first session would be a tempo..I will stick to the first edition thanks.image

Although I do wonder how/why and where? it differs and does it make any real difference in the long run (no pun intended )

• My second edition says 11 mile mlr today for the 55-70 plan? Yesterday and tomorrow are recovery, though I will have to do the 18 miler tomorrow as anniversary on Sunday.
  • Ah maybe the others are on the up to 55 miles image

• NN - I'm on up to 55 and I have rest day today, although if you are on a different week that might be right.

• Recovery run for the upto 55 mile plan today (2nd Edition anyway)

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

I'm not saying whom, but one of the above is incorrect about the up to 55 plan.

I put it down to age image

• Tenjiso wrote (see)

I'm not saying whom, but one of the above is incorrect about the up to 55 plan.

I put it down to age image

• Hi SR

Yes the 55-70 mpw plan is an 11 ML run today so planning a route home from work later (at a relaxed 7:30-7:45 pace) - congrats on the MK time btw, I remember the last 10 miles of that race being the toughest I have ever had to endure (was pleased I kept going though even though I missed my initial target - still the GFA time was nice compensation!)

• I wish 7.30-7.45 mm was my relaxed pace.

I must get up and do something I have bee sucked into all kind of discussions on here today and not just running ones

• Tenjiso wrote (see)

Terrible night's sleep, so had to drag my carcass out of bed this morning.  5m recovery run on the treadie has helped, but I'm knackered image  Taking daughter to Doctor's soon.  She has a sore throat and some congestion - which is why I didn't get hardly any sleep.

I must be right then yeh?

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

11 mile today followed by MASSIVE thali from Chennai Dosa in Manchester. Feel a bit sick now.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Well, JF50, if you quoted the correct quote above then maybe.  Otherwise I rest my case image

If you mean that you're right because I ran 5m recovery - then you underestimate my ability to adapt a schedule to use different days.  I'm rebellious like that image

• Aah so because I need to run my 15 miler tomorrow rather than Sunday, my 5 miler may have been in the right place, also with an ability to adapt a schedule, despite creeping senility.  I'll know it's really crept when I try to do them both on the same day, though NP probably would doimage

• So what happens Monday JF50 , thats usually rest day  if you dont run Sunday that makes it a rest day  also, which is cheating, unless you are doing another 5 recovery  Sunday, but if you do that do you really need to rest on monday from recovery image  ?

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

I like to start my weekly program on a Monday.  It gives me more options when something unexpected comes up during the week and helps to ensure I get the long run done.  Thankfully, the "up to 55" program is five days per week - so this helps.