P + D training for VLM 2013

Comments

• I'm another one who should have got up early and didn't, so am just back from a cold, wet, slushy 15-mile MLR in 2:08. Tried to leave work discreetly in neon yellow jacket and purple trainers, then ran 7 miles by myself, 6 with the club, and the last two the long way home. As fate would have it, at 15 miles I wasn't at my front door, but rather outside the nearby Chinese takeaway. So I went in, ordered some food for 20 minutes' time, and by the time I'd been home, changed into warm dry clothes and had a stretch, my dinner was ready. Excellent.

Glad to see that pilates now has the non-twatty NN seal of approval.

• NP - I remember reading (I think it was Ron Hill) that he said to do a marathon at your best, you need to run 5 x 20 milers (100 miles)...  So, you are another Ron Hill! 

Ha ha yes NN and chickadee, I did...  Here is the proof, it was bloody better paced than my fooking race!  Err, that will be cos I left my race on the road then.  If only I knew what I knew now!  Couple of stops for water and toilet but ran the lot of it.  Ha ha!  The week before I ran 24 miles too, with my friend, in sub zero temps, at 7pm at night.  Yes - I am insane.  I loved it though, I hate being boring now! 

HeOw's mad 26.2 on her tod 

8.35 easy miles (9:25m/m) with one of the ladies from club.  

• Oh NP did you mean the Transformer quip?!  Ha ha!  Transformers, like NN says, are robots in disguise!  You are a machine. image

• literatin wrote (see)

I'm another one who should have got up early and didn't, so am just back from a cold, wet, slushy 15-mile MLR in 2:08. Tried to leave work discreetly in neon yellow jacket and purple trainers, then ran 7 miles by myself, 6 with the club, and the last two the long way home. As fate would have it, at 15 miles I wasn't at my front door, but rather outside the nearby Chinese takeaway. So I went in, ordered some food for 20 minutes' time, and by the time I'd been home, changed into warm dry clothes and had a stretch, my dinner was ready. Excellent.

Glad to see that pilates now has the non-twatty NN seal of approval.

I love you. 

• I'm a VLM virgin as well.

HeOw, I'm the idiot that's doing London as a warmup for Edinburgh. Whether it's a good idea remains to be seen but I'm starting in the 3hr 40min pen so hopefully that combined with the congestion at London will mean that I take it nice and steady. That should (maybe) mean that I'm in a fit enough state to race Edinburgh. I thought it sounded like a mental plan but then I heard stories about mentalists that do 26.2 miles in training.

No Pain, I've already signed up to the runners group and my wife is going to be a supporter. Sounds like a good thing to do. Like you I'm making a weekend of it in London image, but I'm not flying to the Cayman Islands image. Sounds like a perfect way to chill after the marathon.

I'm a day behind this week so when I went out tonight I wasn't sure about whether to do yesterday's 6m recovery or just to do my 14m MLR. But as my legs were still a bit tired after Monday's 20m I quickly decided on just the 6. 

• Lit well done on the run in the slush.

HeOw and old machine that need to be oiled now and againimage
  • Thinking back to my nightmare of a marathon in Chester last year, I ran it on the back of injury, 3 weeks of no running and my longest run during training was one 18 mile long run, wasn't going bad until around 21 miles, thought my days were ending, it was the longest 5 miles of my life, really miserable experience, crossed the line in 3:34, I could of given up running that day.

• Sounds bad Craig. Can't see it happening this time around mind.

Glad to hear everyone else has hate their 15 milers today. I have just got back from my 15 miler at 10 o clock at night. Had a few things that needed to be done after work around the house and soooooo nearly ditched the run. But I zipped up the man suit and got on with it. I think I was actually cursing Pfitz audibly for the first few miles - f**k you pfitz and your mid week long runs! Still 15 miserable miles in the bag. Done. Dusted. Ticked off!

Kudos to the early morning runners - I hate mornings so I'm sure there will be plenty of late night runs to squeeze in. Don't you just love marathon training.

Another VLM virgin. And a marathon virgin too.

P.S Literatin - I am so jealous of that Chinese right now. Think I'll have to give that a go next week! I am liking your style.

• I think most of us despise those last 5 miles Craig. I felt same at Chester too - that "hill" at Sandy Lane nearly finished me off, it just came on me at the wrong time.  You did great and you also learned a lot too.

Ziggy - I would do a marathon a few weeks before another but would run it at my recovery pace and am considering actually doing Chester before Snowdonia and pacing a friend.  Life isn't meant to be done by the book sometimes, so why not?  I ran my 26.2 in training because I really wasn't training for anything in particular, I wanted to see what it felt like to run a marathon on my own, it was a brilliant mental boost.  Only after I did that did I enter Manchester. Not the norm but then I have never been normal! 

• Did the 15 miler this evening.  Garmin now gives weather reports for your runs.  1 degree but felt like -3 because of the wind chill.  Wind and rain.

• Go CazGo Caz ✭✭✭
    A 13 mile MLR done tonight. It was a relief that the sleet followed by snow followed by rain forecast on the BBC all held off. However, like some of the rest of you, I was quite tired. I suppose I did do 20 on Sunday and had done a full day's work before the run tonight. Looking back at my previous mara schedules, they were quite a bit lighter on the miles!
  • Chris, Surrey and Go Caz well done on your MLR image

7 miles easy/steady in the bank at Dark O'clock this morning image.

• Morning all, 6 miles recovery completed this morning, treadmill again, at 5.20am, lovely and gentle once more on the legs.

HeOw, that's not a bad 26.2 training run, slowed a bit over the last few miles but pretty good splits.

NP that is superb organisation and a correct definition of recovery, way outside the defined P&D parameters.  Good to get the miles in early.

SR I noticed the temperature when I downloaded my Garmin, I thought it must have been an advert because it wasn't the temperature I ran at!

Good running with those late night MLRs, I think more difficult than the other end of the day, Lit that is also a classy touch of organisation to get some carbs and protein back in you.

• Morning all

Well I survived the 14 miles last night. It actually wasn't quite as bad as I expected.  Thankfully it had stopped snowing so there was only a cm or so and easy enough to run on. It was blowing a gale but it must have been blowing in a slightly different direction to normal as it was only a headwind for a short time on each lap. image  Finished at 9:30 last night and managed to swallow a chicken sandwich before bed.  Up at 5:30 this morning and in the gym at 6:30 so 6 miles recovery done on the treadmill. I could probably have done it outside with hindsight, but I expected the temp to drop further and everything to be icy.

NP - loving the recovery plans

NN - my OH has a similar problem with his sleeping patterns. He did shifts for about 20 years and now works 9-5. He really struggles with going to bed at a sensible time. At least the pilates will get easier with time

HeOw - Did you enter the Manchester marathon once you realised you could actually do it?

Lit - I've thought about doing that a couple of times as I've run past the Chinese takeaway. Did you enjoy it?

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Morning...well done everybody who managed to get out there yesterday. Weather wise should be better for running the next few days. 6 recovery miles for me today. Tonight I'm off to London, coming back Saturday or Sunday. Am staying central so will need to work out my 13mile and 7mile runs for the next few days. Sunday's long run might have to be delayed till Monday as Saturday am meeting an old friends which often means lots of beer.

• Well done to all on the MLRs - wasnt pleasent last night - was at a family 60th as DD so all mexicaned out - (Panama Hatties) . Heow -do you run the Green Route walkway that takes you to C Quay? Pedestrian/cycle only - starts at Mickle Trafford and is a very flat 13 miles or so I think. Great for LSRs.

A nice little mlr jaunt for me now in ths dry and sunshine for once!

• x post - 15w - enjoy the beer image 

• Enjoy London 15W - I used to love strolling along the embankment years ago, especially at night with it all lit up. Could be a good option for a couple of runs (with added visual interest). It sure beats the industrial estates I'm having to run around at the moment!

In other news, I'm starting to get slightly concerned as my thigh muscles seem to be very painful today. Can't really tell how bad it is as Im stuck at a desk for the day, but fingers crossed its nothing serious. Serves me right for running my recovery too fast on Tuesday - never again I promise runnning gods!
  • Chris - might it be doms? Hope its shortlived whatever it is.

• Chris - and stretching! (NP will be along in a minute to recommend a cold bath)

• I have chillblains on my face this morning from last night's run.  Well done everyone getting out there - we are a committed bunch (well maybe we need to BE committed...) 

Mennania - I have ran that route once but not all the way to Connah's Quay - I found it a bit lonely to be honest. I like to be beeped at by perverts you see.  Especially Travellers in Transit Vans. image  Are you feeling ready for Sunday?  I am chomping at the bit I am!  I have kept pace very relaxed this week, I looked back on some of my previous **cough** HM tapers and bloody hell, I don't know the meaning of the word, I seem to get a surge the week of a HM and train too hard - no wonder I never show my true potential.  I am praying I can really do it justice Sun (well in a HeOw sense, I won't be beating you or Craig, put it that way!) 

JF50 - I would show you the Manchester Marathon splits but I am too embarrassed - they are pretty horrendous.  Went from 8:40m/m to 10:40m/m at the end.  I finished 1 second faster than my actual training 26.2 - bloody uncanny!  Learned hard way I suppose.  

Fiona - pretty much yes. My best friend and I just started upping distance after doing a few HMs and it kind of became a bit of a laugh really.  Then she got injured on our 24 miler and weren't laughing any more. image  I found endurance running hard at the start, it was something that didn't come naturally to me (long runs were a killer over the winter, it was obviously undiagnosed asthma) and then once I had done the 26.2 I knew I had it in me, if I could run that on my own, I could do it on race day no problem so entered.  Just didn't account for the dreadful Manchester weather!  I am lucky that I didn't get injured but according to heart rate, 81% of max was probably not too bad for my first venture doing that distance. On the day of Manchester though, I started too fast, my Garmin went crazy because of the wet weather and couldn't read it and the last few miles were brutal. I probably would have got a sub 4 rather than a 4:06 had I been luckier. 

Chris - it is probably severe DOMS. Please be careful with your paces, you want to get there in one piece - no-one gives a medal to the winner of a two man recovery jog!

• Enjoy London 15W and am I hearing myself correctly... YOU ARE THINKING OF F*CKING UP THE PLAN BY ONE DAY?! image

• Easy recovery for me later before work..

SR Fiona and Caz well done more MLRs completed by P&D followers yesterday !!

NP and JF50  as usual have beaten the rest of us to get their sessions done

15W have fun..and not too much beer !!image

Lit my sides and ribs are hurting !! guess the Pilate's must be working !!

Chris I got no sympathy !! running a 7 mile  recovery run is not funny big or clever !image for one thing where in the book does it say to run 7 mile recovery runs at any pace let alone fast ??.NOWHERE !! image tut

Mennania lucky for you the weather is kinder today hope you have a good run

Heow I wish I knew back when I was your age what I know now about tapering/recovery/nutrition..at least you have a wise old bird (me ) telling where you have/are going wrong..its late for me to gain much myself, but at least I aint getting slower...I too used to run half marathon distance at full pelt just a few days before a race, just to make sure I could !!...Now I know I would be better sat on my bum for 10 days image

• Oh yes..I got my saucony progrid kinvaras today !! I cannot believe how light they are..they are like slippers ...and I feel as light as a fairy...image

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    HeOw wrote (see)

Enjoy London 15W and am I hearing myself correctly... YOU ARE THINKING OF F*CKING UP THE PLAN BY ONE DAY?! image

Yes, you heard me right. It's giving me sleepless nights. I will probably end up running with a hangover from hell and puking everywhere.

• Me again!

NN - how much room is there in the toe box of those Kinvara's? I've been taking on board people's comments about wearing lighter weight shoes for racing but I have bunions on both feet and need wider than average shoes.image

•  acp Well I have wide feet and there seems plenty of room plus they are not so hard as the asics 2160s which I wear !

• Thanks NN! I'll go back to just being a lurker (is there such a word?!) now! I'm learning loads by the way reading all your comments - maybe finding out a bit too much information regarding bodily functions though....!image

• Thanks all. I'm thinking (and hoping) it might be DOMS as well. Just been stretching in the office kitchen and looking like a prat but who cares. I solemnly swear to only ever run my recovery runs alone from now on so as to avoid temptation. I might even have one of NP's ice baths tonight and ditch the run.

Hope the hangover isnt too severe 15W - I had to delay last Sundays run from morning to night after too much medicinal red wine saturdxay night. The hangovers just worse the older you get. Its one of lifes many unfair features!