P + D training for VLM 2013

Comments

• stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

NN hope your feeling better after the dodgy cake

Chickadeee, have a nice break in Denmark. Having started the plan a week early, and then taking a week break half way through (a couple of weeks ago now) I'm planning to do that again in the future,  It definitiely gives you a boost.

JF50 & Lit, good sessions.  I also got out this morning for 5x 600m intervals.  The Garmin played up for me (partly me as I managed to get the intervals to repeat, but not the rest period between them, and partly the watch as the bezel went a bit funny on me and kept going into the menu section).  So all I know is that I ran fast 5 times for about 3000m of my 7.5 mile run.  More fartlek than interval, but quite nice to have a random run!

• NN yes I remember the cucumber and gel advice from HeOw image

HeOw sshh don't mention that name, he's steered clear off this thread so far, or that could be some disguise. Actually I know you can't be him you have got a running injury.  Hope the foot clears quickly.

Having run London twice before had two different experiences at the start, first was back in pen too high and spent miles overtaking, I think I got rid of most of the furry animals before the bridge, can remember overtaking the two Bakewell Tarts with pride at 7 miles, they were going wellimage 

Second time I think I was in pen 2 or something so was past the line in under a minute and nowhere near the same problems getting past people, or probably them past me.  Until the end and then some people just stop right in front of you.

• jf50 well done on the 7 min mile reps no pain no gain as they say  (oh so thats where he got his name from ) and dont worry I am used to being ignored  men never listen thats why we women are accused of nagging .image ..I shall be setting off at 8.15s also but its not easy getting away at the blue start..Even on the gfa start which I have gone from twice and was under the clock within 30 secs , there is still the point where the three starts meet you almost come to a stand still and you run the first 10 miles shoulder to shoulder dodging people who have gone off too fast, I had my best result  off the general blue start, I was in pen 3 and under the clock in about 2 mins but its the continual stop start for the best part of 6 miles that's frustrating.. its not really classed a pb route because  of the crowds, I have entered Abingdon in Oct which isn't so crowded

feeling a bit better but not well enough to run or do much..will be back on track tomorrow...hopefully..image

• eh...thats an old post whats all that about ?

bakewell tarts lol..

• NN - the same thing happened to me the other day re duplicate post.  I take it you are having the enforced 48 hours plus off work?

Stutyr - well done on the intervals.  How did you set up your Garmin? I always use the advanced workouts via garmin training centre and then programme a repeats section of both interval and rest interval.  You can also lock the bezel ( in case you don't know) by pressing both buttons on the side simultaneously on the 405 and 410.

• HeOw - it is now more than 48 hours since I last ran too.  Back to it tonight tho'.  Hope the foot gets better soon. image

• stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

Hi Fiona J, I'd used the Garmin Connect software to set it up, but I have to put it down to user error - my only excuse was I set it up at 5am this morning, as I hadn't had time to sort it last night.  Lesson learnt!  

The bezel was just one of those things, I don't normally have a problem with it unless its wet - I think it was one of those days as my HR strap fell down during the first interval, and it hasn't done that for years!   

•  

Fiona..not got to worry about the 48 hours off...... its worse than that I am actually on sodding leave !!!!!! and meant to be visiting my son and grandsons in Surrey, hopefully will go up tomorrow for a shortened stay !! I haven't been off work sick for over 3 years !!! and when I am sick I am on fecking leave !!! image we can apparently claim leave back if we get a docs cert but cant be arsed..leave starts again in April anyway (until they decide to cut it as well as not give us a pay rise ) image

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

rotten luck, NN. Being sick on leave. Know what you mean about docs cert. I wouldn't bother with it either.

stutyr wrote (see)
    HR strap fell down during the first interval, and it hasn't done that for years!   

You must have lost weight then image. Good speed session, btw.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Ended up doing the intervals on a treadmill this time. Ran 6 miles outside then decided on the gym as too many people with dogs where I would be running the intervals, and also thought try something different. Found them really hard, running 17.8 kph on a treadmill even for 2 minutes is not easy, and infact felt downright dangerous. Still, all done now....next time might be outside though cause at least then I can slow down when I get a bit tired..image

Get well soon NN and HeOw.

• Stop talking about intervals,image for the first time in my whole life I WANT to do be doing mine today !!!!!

15w and Stutyr well done image and I know what you mean about doing fast intervals on the TM it does feel damn unsafe..I am sure it actually is if you loose concentration even for a second image

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

8m GA/Recovery today.  Beautiful weather, so it was a good day for slowing down.  I can feel the need for recovery from the race, so tomorrow I'll wear the HRM to ensure I'm running slow enough.

I heard on the radio earlier that they think we might be in for more snow next week!!!!!

Quick question, would this coming Saturday be too soon to go for a 5K PB at a parkrun (i.e. 6 days after the half marathon race)?  I'm just considering a few tweaks to the schedule.

• Ten just go and do it its only 5k you may PB or you may not !! but you wont die ...no one takes any notice of any advice on here we are all as mad as each other..image

• Night Nurse wrote (see)

Ten just go and do it its only 5k you may PB or you may not !! but you wont die ...no one takes any notice of any advice on here we are all as mad as each other..image

This temporary time off from running is not really making you happy NN is it? image

Ten agree with NN, 5K is not likely to add any stress at this point in the schedule

• JF50 wrote (see)
    Night Nurse wrote (see)

Ten just go and do it its only 5k you may PB or you may not !! but you wont die ...no one takes any notice of any advice on here we are all as mad as each other..image

This temporary time off from running is not really making you happy NN is it? image

Ten agree with NN, 5K is not likely to add any stress at this point in the schedule

ha ha ha that really made me laugh..you are funny...image you want to be glad you dont live with me..image I am not a good patient

• Oh and JF50 who is this DF3 guy ? is he the latest forum clown or what ? everyone is going on about him image 

off to hunt down some threads 

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

NN, they won't be hard to find. image I have been sucked into one or two. My favourite was when HeOw threatened to kick him in the bollocks.

• Found one and like I said its better than the alternative at the moment the Alan Titchmarsh show image (eeek in bed with Alan Titchmarsh )image 

• Not sure who would be more annoying NN

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Thanks NN/DF50.  It's a little confusing in the book how much recovery is needed from races.  I remember reading (elsewhere) one day recovery for every mile raced, which is why I wondered if a hard run within a week might be too soon.

Lit - I saw you offer to send DF3 one of your medals.  That's a pretty flimsy pretext to acquire his address image  (I'll put my wooden spoon away now)

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Very funny Ten. Anyway, he allegedly has a girlfriend already.

• He also posts on a running siteimage

• Ten to answer you question seriously treat the 5k as this weeks V02 session. a half marathon would be silly image but a 5k..image go and enjoy, it breaks the schedule up a bit.

And yes that's the general rule a day a mile to recover properly but when marathon training you cant afford to keep tapering and recovering you loose training

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Thanks NN.  I'm thinking of doing 5k parkrun Saturday, then 18m LR on Sunday instead of the scheduled 5m recovery and 18m/14m MPR.  Then swap the 5m recovery and 18/14m MPR to the following weekend.  I'll play it by ear, but that's the rough plan.

literatin wrote (see)

I see you've done your research image 

(I lied when I said I was putting the wooden spoon away)

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Also might do S Manchester park run this saturday.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Tenjiso wrote (see)
    literatin wrote (see)

I only sleep with people who can run faster than me. image

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    literatin wrote (see)

I only sleep with people who can run faster than me. 

Sounds like a better incentive than a crappy medal image  

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Eek! BUT NOT ALL OF THEM.

• literatin wrote (see

Sod you then image

• literatin wrote (see)
    Tenjiso wrote (see)
    literatin wrote (see)

Lit you're on a thread with some pretty quick runners, and probably a few others desperately trying to get quickerimage