Options

P&D Autumn Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Options
    Ryan SnellRyan Snell ✭✭✭

Well, good morning everyone. I ran 2:52 at Brighton this year following the P&D 12/70 plan after doing 3:05 at Chester following a Higdon advanced. I had promised myself (and the wife) that i would have a break from marathons until London next year....  I am now entered into the New Forest in September and will be doing a slightly modified (longer long runs and a recovery 5 on Mondays instead of rest)12/70 to try and sneak under 2:50. In fact, it's closer to the 12/85 but without the doubles which I'm not keen on.

I like the 12 week plans better as i think it's easier to keep fully focused for a shorter length of time but I'm sure the 18's are great for plenty of people.

Good luck everyone image

• Options

Happy birthday 15West image

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Thanks. So far have been for a 12mi run, took daughter to swimming lesson and then went to school fair. So rock'n'roll. Hello Ryan - you sound about in same place as me...hoping to get under 2.50 at Chester in autumn, and am following the 18/85 schedule but will be mostly skipping the monday recovery runs to have a day off...so will probably max at upper 70s. I have always followed the 18week plans...bit tempted to go for the 12 week one now...

• Options

Sounds like a not bad birthday. Did it rain especially for you on your birthday too??

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

It thas actually been mostly dry...rained last night and a bit drizzly this afternoon. I'll keep you updated...watch this space. I might have a beer soon.

• Options
    Ryan SnellRyan Snell ✭✭✭

Hello 15W,

I've not done the 18 week so can't do a direct comparison but the Higdons were 16 and I was losing focus towards the end. I felt strong and ready at the start of Brighton after the 12 week plan. I think much depends on your base fitness.

Chester is a nice course and well organised - just watch out for the innocent-looking but actually horrible hill at 24 image

• Options

15W - you're lucky, it's been chucking it down inthe NE all day.

• Options

Happy Birthday 15W! 

Heavy rain here too, been at the West Lothian Highlands Games which was a total wash-out but my OH was second in the hill race, so it was worth going to. He's going to follow P&D up to 55 miles also, his mara time is 2.48xx. Hopefully with a structured plan he can get 2.45.

• Options
    Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

As part of my build up towards Bupa 10k next weekend I went along to my local Parkrun this morning. Have a new PB - sub 23 - which was my end of year goal and I was first woman home so chuffed to pieces. Am now going to scoff a curry and have a glass of wine in celebration!

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Lisa - well done. Enjoy that curry.

I am drunk.

• Options

Hey Ryan, I ran a 2:53:01 in Manchester following 12/70 and thats what I am targeting in Chester sub 2:50.  I was thinking the same on the Monday, as opposed to rest have a recovery, like you I hate doubles also and find them hard with wotk & family etc.  Had a go at the Christleton 5K last night, I can only decribe it as awful, had a cold recently, started ok but faded rapidly to cross the line in 17:54, 2 bad races for me in 2 weeks post marathon but before marathon I PB'd at 3 distances half marathon (80), 5 mile (29:36), 10K (36:21).

• Options

Happy birthday 15W. Sounds like you are enjoying it image

• Options
    Ryan SnellRyan Snell ✭✭✭

Hi Craig,

I ran a succession of PB's leading into Brighton including a 36:03 10k and ran one 3 weeks after Brighton in 37:38 and felt horrible!! Some people take longer to recover than others. Did a 3000m on the track today and felt much better although it was scarily short! 

15W - I wish i was drunk, but have to be at work for 7am tomorrow image

• Options

Lisa - that's fab. A great time, you should have no difficulty with P&D. I managed to get down to 23:13. I managed 10th lady with that. I'd have to do sub20 to get first lady here. Today I was 170 in 24:56 and last week 351 with a similar time.

15w - glad your having great birthday.

• Options

Vellooo - I'm from central Scotland originally. Lots of lovely hills to run up around there.

• Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

15w - many happy returns -  have one from me!!

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Congratulations to Lisa on the parkrun PB and 15W on the drunkenness.

Craig, I wouldn't beat yourself up over the races, we're not all post-marathon racing machines like Mennania. I'm starting to have more respect for the idea of recovering properly after doing some races that were fine, but not brilliant and bloody hard work.

• Options
    Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

Fiona generally its only guys that run my local Parkrun sub 20, women can usually come first in times between 21-22.xx. Personally I blame the 2 hills for this, one long slow drag, and then another hill that is pretty much vertical and a hands and knee's job (ok that might be slighly exaggerated but you get the gist). May try and do a flatter one to get a better idea of my 5k times.

Re; recovery after a marathon isn't that the point of having a 5th mesocycle? image. But seriously your body and immune system is pretty much wrecked after a marathon so you have to be kind to yourself, rest and recover fully and then go and smash PB's at all distances image

15W how's the head feeling this morning image

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Morning. Not too bad thanks Lisa...didn't really drink that much...few beers are all I need these days to make me a bit tiddly, and then I stopped.

No running for me today.

Craig - a 17.54 5k sounds pretty good to me!

• Options
    Daeve wrote (see)

My start date is approaching - 27th May.  The PD spreadsheet is going to be worth it's weight in gold in motivation,

how much does a spreadsheet weigh?

• Options
    Ryan SnellRyan Snell ✭✭✭

What do people think about hills??

My other 2 have been flattish but the New Forest marathon is relatively hilly so I've been planning on doing all my long runs with hills and probably the medium-long as well but no faster stuff on hills. Sounds sensible??

• Options

Glad you had a good birthday 15W!image

I've decided to run my recovery runs according to time on feet rather than miles. I like the idea of a recovery run to get the blood pumping and loosen up but I'm sure this can be acheived just as well with a 30-40 minute run as it can with a 4-5M run ( I know that's the same thing to some of you out there...!!image) .

Also, gives me more time to stretch and do some core work afterwards image.

Also planning on doing them off road as much as possible to help reduce impact of all these miles on the body!

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Ryan -- that sounds like a good plan.

acp - that also sounds like a good plan. I actually do most of my running off road....mainly as live near some pretty good trails and I enjoy it more, but also it's easier on the joints.

6 or 7 miles today for me.

• Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Alright gang,

Ryan - Hills are a must. Many links posted about 3-4 pages back.

ACP - a recovery run should finish when your legs feel better than they did at the start and feel 'recovered'.  Any longer is too long.

Off looking for a 10k or half mile plan for 6 weeks or so. Any suggestions?

Did Christleton 5k on Friday with a 17.29 on a very flat course in perfect conditions. 16.xx has to be my new target.

• Options

You ran a good race on Friday Menn & nice to meet you. I was off the pace totally and faded rapidly last couple of miles. I'm also after a decent 10K/Half marathon plan.    Finally shaken off the illness that I have had since just after the Manchester so going to start ramping it up soon.  Might start getting down the track weekly as before marathon I was down there weekly and my short times were coming down quite a lot. I managed a 17:12 on the track before training in a time trial, just entered lake Vwryny half marathon in September, targeting my first sub 80.

• Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Craig - I have just entered exactly the same race with exactly the same goal!!

What plan you following to get you there?

• Options

I'm uncertain yet, I'm looking about now, just so many out there, just been looking at the Runners World Garmin schedules, they just seem way too aggresive and injury written all over them.  What about yourself?? What is your half PB Menn??

• Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

I am currently at 1.22.29 but that was at Chester with the residue of a viral infection. 10k is 37.35 and 5k is 17.28 so I am either a poor convertor or my middle - long stuff is soft.

I am looking at getting the road racing for serious runners book to give myself a heads up and get down to the track. Might be changing clubs too. Have you settled on one yet?

• Options
    Ryan SnellRyan Snell ✭✭✭

I have the road racing for serious runners book and it's not as good as the Advanced Marathoning book. The HM schedules are1 long, 1 med-long, 1 VO2 max or threshold and 1 basic speed. There is then a weekly total which you make up to in recovery runs as and when you please. There is nothing major in the text of the book that isn't covered in Advanced Marathoning, in my opinion.

I'd be happy to copy, scan and email the schedule if anyone wants it?