P&D Spring Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Lo Chick. Boston is a great one to be looking forward to. Don't forget to train for the hill!

Also, Hi to Menanannnia (never could spell the name image). It's taken me a while to cotton on to the name change image

• image. Thanks guys

Oh yeah, heartbreak hill .... I do hill reps once a week and have just started with a hilly LSR every three weeks. 15 miles with roughly 1500ft of ascent giving it some welly on the downhills. Quads were screaming :-/
  • 15miles completed this morning, across a gorgeously sunny but frosty Richmond Park. Average pace was about right, but there was a definite lack of consistency. I started out with a group from the local club, but they were going at a too fast a pace for my plan for the day, so I dropped back to my 100sec a mile slower pace. 

Today was also a mental challenge; no real long runs for a couple of weeks and my legs were sore from strength training on Friday, so had to keep pushing, especially up the hills!  But happy that I kept going! Now for a session with a foam roller image

Chickadeee: 1500ft elevation sounds HORRIBLE!. looking at my map from today, the park has 200ft elevation on hills and that is more than enough for me.

• Well done Rachel! How's your leg now?

I did 15 miles too; it's a lovely day here too. Also I wore my new marmite vest, which made it even more fun.

• lit: leg pain is fine, just muscular doms pain from exercises. Have been doing by stretches daily and it seems to be OK.

• Well done literati and Rachelcgen. I think my legs r gonna b sore tomorrow. 10 k race up some very steep sloppy slopes . Good fun coming down though! Turned it into a long run by doing 2 m w/ u and 3 m c/ d. oh and by the way I was 1at lady to finish.
  • Doppy - Well done on being first female!

• Doppy congrats on being First Lady, 18 miles D&D I did an out and back route today taking in part of the Great Glen Way, stunning views around 8 miles in had to stop for a few minutes to admire it, wish I had a camera with me, 65 miles for the week, rest day tomorrow, thank goodness image

• Well done on 1st lady, Doppy image

Nice long runs Stewart, lit and Rachel.

Btw, that's brilliant weekly mileage, Stewart!!

17.5 for me but on the flat. Wind and rain were bad enough, I really didn't need any hills today :-/
  • Haha, I think those were all 'medium' runs, Chick! Yours was borderline long though.

Congrats Doppy! Did you win anything good?

• oh yeah, I forgot ... I remember being very cross the first time I started P&D as everything that was previously a long run in my book was suddenly called MLRimage
  • Stewart that's amazing mileage. I thought I was doing well with 53. I've never done more than 56 in a week. Cash prize for my race. Love a bit of money,

• 15 weeks until the London Marathon!

15mi ML for me today today. I ran steady for the first 11 (around MP +16%) and finished with 4 at target marathon pace. 

I've run a bit too quick this week, but don't feel too bad. Rest tomorrow image

• Rachel, I can think of at least four or five clubs that turn up in Richmond Park on a Sunday morning so keep trying!

Well done Doppy, and StewartC I'm jealous of your route!

15 gentle miles for me today - a magical mystery tour with some nice locals who let me join their club run.

How was Thursday's 9 with 4 @ LT supposed to feel? I didn't have the book to hand so took it to mean 'run like $£&*' for the 4 - felt like I was racing a 5K.

• Well, it says in the book to run between 15k and half marathon pace, but since I can't manage to race a 5k much faster than that anyway...

• marrows - ahh, but this is the one that is based over the road from my house, so perfect for other sessions - the speed sessions I can join and go at own pace.  But will have a look around.

I think i have killed my legs! They're not working at the moment, very glad it's a rest day tomorrow

• Great running again everyone. Doppy, congrats on first place. Stewart - wow! That's amazing mileage. Chickadee - those hills sound AWFUL! Rachel - well done with the long run.

I ran a mixed terrain 10k today (the Jolly Hog!), which is new for me. It was described as undulating, but it felt bloody hilly. It was a very very muddy, slippy and skiddy, and it was hard work. But I loved it! Finished in 50:08, which is slower than expected but then again I rather underestimated the course! 

• Good going all, and congratulations Doppy on a brilliant result! image

This morning was my first marathon pace run of the campaign that I should have done last week, if only I could fekin' read the schedule properly image! I was cursing the fact that last week was great conditions for running at marathon pace, while this morning... wasn't. It was very icy in some areas. I wore trail shoes, but they were still slipping as I ran up inclines and making it hard work. I couldn't reap the benefit of the descents for fear of going A over T in front of a car.

I had hoped to target 8:35 pacing, but very quickly decided to be more cautious due to the conditions. It was an ambitious pace for me anyway, since my training had been scuppered in the summer. In the event, my splits were (MP miles in bold):

Pace: 10:21/10:09/10:06/9:51/9:38/8:43/8:36/8:30/8:48/8:42/8:31/8:46/9:03/9:23 HR: ???/???/140/145/148/150/156/158/160/160/159/163/165/158bpm avg.

The pace wasn't steady due to the conditions. Being overtaken by some cows gave me a bit of an unexpected shock. I could see the headlines: "Man trampled to death trying to outrun herd of cows". I was initially disappointed that my pace dropped off in the final MP mile, but given the effort was highest at 165bpm (88% HRR) – equivalent to LT effort - it wasn't so bad. In spite of the challenges, it was great to be running outside!

Took water and gel, but consumed neither (unfuelled run). My average pace for the MP miles was 8:43, which I'm not unhappy with. I don't think I'll make any changes to my training paces/effort just yet. I've felt fine following the run, which is a good sign that I'm coping with the plan thus far.

Back to the treadmill until next Sunday, d'oh image

• RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

Nice running Tenjiso. That is a long run to go without fluids - that might explain a bit of the slow down at the end.

I was supposed to be doing strides on an icy run last week and couldn't come close to sprinting without almost killing myself. Somehow I don't think P&D were imagining people running in icy conditions when they designed the schedules.

• A bit hairy in places here in Wales too, but got my LSR in today.  Only got 3 runs in this week (wk 4 of 18)... but at least they were key ones... LT, Recovery, and 15m LSR.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Morning all. Some good running going on this weekend. Ran my 16 mi yesterday, was Ok but was very windy here in lanzarote. Bit calmer today for an easy 5mi. Am eating loads and drinking loads and am feeling it a bit this morning.

• Good running, Tenjiso. those MP efforts are hard. I've not hit my PMP consistetly yet, but there's a bit of time to go... So hopefully!

Nearly forgot an important aspect of the Jolly Hog yesterday. The goody bag! It was quite impressive with a huge cliff's shot mint chocolate protein bar and an Up and Running chood/snood scarf/hat type thing. 

Went straight to Stockeld Park from the run with my wife and kids, to visit their winter wonderland. You get to ice skate and go cross country skiing round the enchanted forest! It was great fun, and a useful recovery session. Wore my new chood - I thought I looked a bit of a wally but the kids thought it looked cool!

• Recovery run this morning, but had some spasms of pain down the inside of my knee. The spasms occurred four or five times, and lasted a second or two. They were painful. It might be a reaction to ice skating or cross country skiing, or from running really fast down muddy banks yesterday? Feeling a bit paranoid that it's the beginning of an injury? Any advice? 

• Run through it - what could possibly go wrong?
  • Take tomorrow off and monitor it in another recovery run on Wednesday. Don't do any speedwork until you're sure it's okay. And don't get hung up on doing every single run in the schedule for this week - after all, the schedule didn't tell you to race a 10k on Sunday, so you've already fucked it up.

• Thanks. Will take tomorrow off, though it'll feel strange not to run. On New Year's Day I'm taking the kids to their first Parkrun anyway, so I'll have a nice easy jog/walk to ease back into it. If all okay, I'll pick things back up on Thursday. This will teach me to keep to the plan! 

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Well done doppy on 10k and everyone else with the on going progress.

Had x ray this morning. Appasrently they only say anything there and then if your foot etc is about to drop off. Go said to call Thursday. Have booked an appointment for Friday as well with my chirp to see if he can help with some adjustments. Have also discovered ibruprofen gel which seems to be helping.

I really need to get running soon. An hour on the spin bike is just not giving enough calorie burn for my continued in take compared to two hours plus running! Deco put a few pounds on. 

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Morning all. 10mi planned this morning. Maybe get some strides in, probably not though as very important that I look cool.

Must remember not to drink too much tonight. Last year I got a bit carried away with the free cocktails and wine on offer in the hotel and ended up having to be walked home by my 7 year old daughter and spent the following morning with my head down the toilet. 

• DT...  did they give you some drugs at the hospital?  I'm not sure they've worn off. image

15W...  You can drink a bit more this year. Your daughter is now 8, and capable of offering much more support.

Happy New Year everyone.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Lol- trying to write a post whilst dealing with a baby makes for borderline nonsense!!

15 - if she can now hack your account and post on here she is capable of self sufficiency for a day!