P&D Spring Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Thanks Ten. It is a relief to get it out of the way, to be honest. I find even MP+10-20% hard enough. I usually like to plod around my long runs so I was expecting MP to be quite a challenge, but it was actually okay - even if I couldn't maintain it for quite as long as I'd like to just now. There's time though...

i normally do my long run on Saturday so it's difficult to take kids to the Parkrun, but the extra one on New Years Day was perfect. I'm sure you and your son will have a great time running it together.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Well x ray results say no stress fracture which on the one hand is very good but on other leaves me without diagnosis. Gp is referring to their NHS physio which only takes a couple of weeks and in meantime I see my own physio tomorrow. Subject to what he thinks I may just get on with it like I normally do when something hurts. 

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Following on from that, saw physio this am and he has diagnosed an issue with my posterior tibialis. The pain i am getting on the outside of my foot is where it inserts and he thinks its just had a bashing and become irritated. He did some ultrasound on calf/soleous and some other work on foot and inside of ankle. Advised me to keep calf and that area regularly stretched and go back next friday. Seemed fairly open to some basic running so going to try an easy, short treadmill run tonight.

• Sounds good news DT, but take it steady.
  • DT 19 - looks like your faith has been rewarded, good news! Hope the tready goes well tonight.

That's a great effort NSGNR, nice to see you tucked the MP stuff in at the end aswell.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

DT19 that sounds like VERY good news image

• DT19: that sounds like good news!

10miles GA done today, fine until hail, thunder, lightning and rain marred the middle bit, so that last 4 miles were done wet, cold and with very soggy feet! it's difficult to avoid the puddles when you can't see through the glasses,think I need windscreen wipers!

• Jumping back in to thread!  Hi everyone, Happy New Year!  Hope training going well.

Shaz, I agree, maybe just see how you go?  Hope you get it sorted.  LIke with my dodgy hips, it is becoming a case that along with strengthening, I may have ti just grin and bear it, when racing, as I am not doing any damage.

Think I mentioned I got a ballot place with VMLM with club?  Well, on week 15 of 33/55.  Enjoying it.  Struggling to hit the tempo paces, I was 12 months ago but to be expected after a rest/recovery couple of months.  Slowly coming back, I am managing to hit HMRP, so not all bad.  15 miles on Sunday but going to do Mersey Vend 5k tomorrow, need to see where I am at.

Re the interview, I remember saying on old thread a while back, I thought lack of hill work was big error, I am surprised with him being Jack Daniels and Lydiard led, he omitted them. I run hills a lot and hill reps should definitely a big part of any training plan.  I will be doing some more strides as he recommended too, may incorporate these into shorter hill reps.

Mennanian, long time. no "see"!  I am doing Helsby.  You doing Wrexham again? 

• Are we not on week 14 now HeOw?

• Dunno Lit!  Gaz said week 15.  Makes no odds really, I am up to where week 14 is.  It can't only be 14 weeks on Sunday, to race?!

• I've written all the dates in my book because I'm a massive twat.

• It is you know. I am on race -14 for Paris which is a week earlier which is 13 weeks on Sunday. I havent booked my place at Wrexham but fully intend to give it a wallopingimage

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

yep, its 14 weeks sunday for vmlm!

I feel a little better about lack of running activity now having received week 1 and 2 of the 16 week programme e-mailed to me for the charity i got a place via. Week 2 recommends getting the long run to 7 miles and doing 20 overall. Even if I dont run until March, i am reasonably confident i could pick that one up on week 10image

• As long as you don't have a massive twat, Lit, that's ok.

See you there Men!  I am not in PB shape.

• Oh, I am just sat with diary out, filling it in.  I am chuffed that it now works out that Helsby Half, coincides with recovery week and a 12 miler is scheduled for the long run.

• I have lent my book to a friend.  I am having to badger people to post the bloody plan.  I don't suppose someone has scans or the 33-55/18 plan?  image

• Can send you the magic spreadsheet if you like?

• G'awn! Might be above and beyond, my intelligence though.  I will message you on FB my email chuck.  Or can you send it to me, on there?

• Have sent it to you on facebook. To be honest it is a bit beyond my limited excel skills too (and I like books) but it has all the sessions on there!

• HeOw: good to see ya. Happy New Year, hon image

Not sure I can be bovvered with Jantastic. The website is a pain to navigate. TBH, since coming back from injury the last thing I lack is motivationimage If anything, I have to curb my enthusiasm ...

11 and a bit miles today. Legs were tired though. Glad I survived. Looking forward to an easy jog tomorrow.

Enjoy your weekends, all

• RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

I am with you Chick. I am not lacking in motivation and as providing motivation seems to be the purpose of Jantastic I don't think I'll bother.

TBH if you can keep running at this time of year in this weather then your motivation is already pretty high.

In other news my legs are shot to pieces after doing a 7 mile fell race on NYE. The weather was awful, the course was tricky (including 6 cattle grids) and I kept on getting passed by seasoned fell runners on the descent.

I'm not sure fell running is for me really...

• No, you have both got it all wrong. Jantastic is about beating the crap out of all the other teams, by being smug and brilliant.

• RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

It's all a bit geeky though - beating teams on the internet. Beating club mates in club sessions on the other hand rocksimage

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello. How's the weather there? Lovely and sunny here but with a slight breeze. Can't have everything I guess.

5mi this morning. 20 planned tomorrow so will have to try not to drink too much tonight (sups from nice cold lager), and will to make an effort to get up early to fit it in before breakfast. 

I usually try and avoid diets but think I may need to lose a bit of weight.

Have hired a car for a few days and spent the day driving round the mad volcanic landscapes of lanzarote. Would be great for cycling over here.

Signed up for Yorkshire marathon this morning even though only running one marathon in 2014. Honest.

• 15 - you started warm weather training? 

Hello chick, Happy New Year to you too. Sorry to hear you we're injured, all ok now?  I've given up with X times/goals, I'm just running everything by feel at mo, when I do my 16 with 10 at pace, I will start MR pace at my PB pace and aim to ramp up. 

Thanks Lit. image

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Yes HeOw. And dehydrated hungover training. 

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

15w - don't know how you can have a good night out there and get yuourserlf out for a long hot run. 

Trialled a 5k on treadmill. No Ill effects. First k or so bottom of ankle felt sore so feared the worst but it loosened off nicely. Last time I tried treadmill on 27th Dec I was in pain in minutes then very sore for a few days. 

Think I will give it a day tomorrow just to make sure OK then venture outdoors for maybe 7-8 miles Sunday. 

• literain: That spreadsheet is amazing, and looked horrendously complicated, but was just a case of working out the splits from Marathon Pace plus and minus 10 , 15 and 20 percent and putting them in the right places phew!! Looked a nightmare to begin with.  I utterly love it!!!!

• I have a lovely spreadsheet too, definitely wondering if I could magic it up so that I just had to put one number in (MP) and it did everything else image