P&D Spring Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Hello. hope you don't mind me butting in!?

My partner is hoping to sub 3 in his spring marathon. Me - I just want to cross the finish line!

His pb is 3.09. I am trying to convince him that he needs to slow his long runs down. He thinks that the recommended pace of the long runs in the P&D schedule are too slow. 

Any other sub 3 ers on here that can advise? in the Autumn his long runs were run about 30secs slower than race pace (6.49) He was unable to complete the Chicago marathon due to a calf injury at mile 5 - so bang went his chance of a sub 3 in October. 

Any advice gratefullyReceived. thank you 

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello Mabel. No advice from me as am on holiday so only have about 2 brain cells working. I don't stick to any strict pace but am usually pretty close to what the book recommends of mp-20% at start and mp-10% at end.

20mi run went OK, although just had a glass of water pre run so was a bit drained towards the end. Managed it in 2hr28.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

If anything, the quicker you are the further from your race pace your long runs should be. I am still hanging on to a hope of sub 3.05 so 7.03 pace. My long run comes in at about 8mm. If anything I have found p and d long run a step up in pace compared to McMillan paces and general views of others on here. There is of course plenty of opportunity to also run at race pace throughout p and d. 

Running that close to race pace is not helpful IMO. Its kind of no mans land pace and just increases fatigue and injury risk. 

• He Ow: yep, I'm in one piece again. Still a bit paranoid that it may come back but don't think it will ...

Mabel: DT19 is right. Most people run too fast in training 'because they can' and then it goes tits up on race day. Hell, even the Kenyans do their long runs slow so there must be something to it.

15W: have a few pints for me, will ya? I'm on the wagon image
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭

If you say so chick. Good to see you back on here BTW.

• Hi Mabel, my PB is 3:06 which I ran after training for 3:10-3:15, and therefore running my long runs based on P&D recommendations for a 7:15 marathon pace. But if you really want to convince him you should direct him to this thread:

where Doppy is coming round to the idea of running MUCH slower on her long runs.

• oops, didn't mean to make that whole thing the link. That looks much better than what I was going to do though. I'll pretend it was on purpose.

In other news, I deviated from the plan and did county xc today. Now deliberating over whether to get my shiny new county vest and do the intercounties, or stick to the rest of my non-xc-racing marathon plan.

• SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭

Lit - Was this Kent County XC, near Hythe?  I was planning to do it, but when doing a last minute check on the venue, which I've never been to before, found the men's started before the women's and I'd left it too late to get there.  Not happy.

I guess it was pretty wet!

• SGB - no, sorry - I tricked you by getting the train to Tunbridge Wells over Christmas on my way to Sussex. It was the combined Notts/Derbys xc (I'm Notts). But I grew up in Hastings.

It was quite soggy up here too though!

• Rachelglen: I was thinking that on the page you out them in, put them as percentages of marathon pace so F2 x 0.9 etc.... Should do fine. Then just need to put the one pace in.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just a quick question as book is in work. If I started the 18 week SCH smack on 18 weeks out, would I just be completing week 4 now? And is week 6 the cut back?? Just planning how I rejoin things. I have done weeks 1-3 though did week 1 twice.

Thinking of having a build up 8 days from tomorrow then picking up week six as per schedule there forward. I don't think it would be a great idea to just try and pick week 5 up from Monday would it??

Lit, well done on county selection. I think you should break training for inter counties. You might get on the teleimage

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Got some nasty chafing going from this morning run. Just thought you might like to know that.

• Mabel, I followed RW 1st time and went too fast on training and had a hard time over the last 10k to finish in3.25. Took advice to slow the LSRs down and follow P&D paces and I have had back to back 13 min PBs since. I do think most people run their LSRs too fast - me included.  I will be reminding myself of this topic on tomorrows runimage.

• x post 15w - thanks for sharingimage The saltwater will sort it out!

Lit - well done you

• DT - yes. End of 4th week.

15 - funnily enough, only time I've ever had chafing (except on triceps) is by the sea. I think it is the salty air.

DT, Menn - thanks! Hmm. On telly, in a flattering green vest. I'm almost convinced.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Going to rub on the local aloe vera. Quite looking forward to it.

• Congrats Lit on winning a county vest, I hope you'll be wearing something yellow to make you go fasterimage

DT good too see you're back running again image

15, lol no pics required!

easy 5 today looking forward to the 18 with 10 @MP tomorrow image

• RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

Very interesting link Lit. I was going to run my 18 miles tomorrow quite hard but having read all that I will try to be good.

It is just so counter-intuitive - run slower to race faster.

• Thank you so much everyone. Will pass the advice on in the hope that he listens. Much appreciated. 

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

It's all been decided here

Marathon race time may be predicted (r = 0.81) for recreational male runners by the following equation: marathon race time (minutes) = 11.03 + 98.46 exp(-0.0053 mean weekly training distance [km/week]) + 0.387 mean training pace (sec/km) + 0.1 exp(0.23 body fat percentage [%]). 

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

ps. Drunk again. Got to get out of here.

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Congratulations Lit! Go race XC. it sounds fun.

I spent Friday modifying some running kit so I now have an enormous pocket! What shall I keep in it? I made the pocket to put my phone in but it turned out much bigger than necessary. You could get the entire contents of a fruit bowl in there.

• Congrats Lit! Go for it. My niece has been selected for County XC through the school system. She doesn't actually like running, she's just naturally fast and is just going through the motions of doing what the school wants. I hope she gets the bug!

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

15w- that's nice and easy to followimage

Lit, when is the inter counties? Might go and wastch it this year if free as fairly local to me. 

Marrows, if you've got the space why not just take the fruir bowl!!

Going to try first outdoor run later. Got a 6 mile route I do that has a cut off to 4 if in pain but can easily be extended to 8 if OK. Weighed this morning and about 3lb up on pre Xmas, when I had already planned to lose 7lb. Think its a mix of more calories in than usual then far less going out with not running plus doing some weights work. Annoying none the less!!!

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Morning. Last full day here. Easy 4mi run this morning. Will try and fit in LT run tomorrow, may not have time for all the non-LT miles though.

Well done Lit.

Good luck DT19.

• Well done Lit.

Best of luck to DT.

Did my 16 today but just kept it at mara+10% (I.e didn't try 10m at mara pace). Happy with result but have sore shins. Not yet ready to inject Mara Pace into long runs.
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Nice one Lit - go for it! 

This morning, after dropping the kids off at my mum's, I went out for 15m MLR. Target pace range was 10:18 to 9:27. I didn't bother with the HRM this time out. The actual pace for each mile were: 

10:13/10:17/10:08/10:10/9:58/9:50/9:46/9:25/9:35/9:33/9:22/9:24/9:25/9:16/9:14

I'm trying to get my head around the fact that (all being well) I'll be running a mile further in roughly the same overall time next week! It's the first daunting week of the program with the LT run and MPR run in the same week.

I'm debating whether to enter the Oakley 20. I've got the sweatshirt from last year's race, which was called off - leaving me to run 20m on my own in the snow and ice image 

• Same workout as Tenjiso for me today, just slower!  My target pace was 10:54, although overall average was 10:50. Pretty good run, legs Ok, avoided getting wet in rain, run over by cyclists or tripped up by silly little dogs. 

Agree about next week - it looks pretty scary!

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Great thread link thanks Literatin - I have no hope of ever being that speedy but Gobi's advice is always sound so I shall follow it with interest

No running for me today.  I bought new insoles though...go me....

• excellent stuff getting that county best, lit image

15w: we really needed to know about the chafing so thanks for sharingimage

20 hilly miles done today. Fck, but that hurt, especially towards the end. I take consolation from the fact that I covered a lot more incline today than I will have to in Boston.

That's me done with base building. Tomorrow is day one of my tweaked 12 week schedule (14 weeks to allow for injury/illness). Luckily it's a rest dayimage