P&D Spring Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Woohoo end of week 1. 12m

I want to do 4:22 current PB 4:36:59 so marathon pace is 10m per mile. I planned this to be about 15% slower. i got it pretty much spot on 12 miles in 137 Minutes. 

Heart rate was a bit higher than I would have liked, but was slogging through flooded wet fields for about a quarter of the run. So happy with that

• Some great training going on and impressive long runs over the weekend, it was my 18 with 10 @MP today I did the 18 but only managed 9 @MP, MP miles came out at an average of 9mm and avgHR was 83%, so I'm fairly happy with were am at at this stage of the training.

• FergFerg ✭✭✭

End of week one for me, so thankfully I can start to compare and contrast with those already a month in to their schedules. Definitely glad to be shot of the XMAS gluttony and all round lethargy!

Listened to the Pfitz interview on my LSR yesterday and really enjoyed it. Many thanks to all of you who pointed out MT's podcasts - I suspect that they'll be the soundtrack for many a run to come.

Hope the injuries and niggles have cleared up for those of you who have been frustrated over the XMAS break.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

First proper run in three weeks. Managed 8.2 m at 8.05mm. Felt quite laboured first three miles however I was running into a strong wind. Anyway, foot started hurting at three miles, however never got worse than niggle status and by mile 7 seemed to clear.

Got it on ice now and some ibruprofen gel. Decision for me now is do I just manage it and run through given three weeks complete rest made no dfifference!

If I do that then plan is to do week 6 of schedule this coming week to build back up then do sA combo of weeks 4 and 5 the following. I feel I want to get the 16 with 10 at mp that week 5 has. Should be OK to do as in the next block there is only three weeks training before a cut back week. 

• SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭

Lit - Thanks. Sounds like congratulations are in order.  It must have been bad in Hythe yesterday as I haven't yet had a report via the club email group!

• FergFerg ✭✭✭

DT19, I'm sure that you're really frustrated with the niggle and lack of running. Don't be stressing too much about 'making up' for missed runs over the next couple of weeks. I've missed a couple of key weeks during previous campaigns and I don't really think that it made much difference overall.

Hang in there, you seem to be managing things as best you can.

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

4 weeks of 18/55 completed today image ... very happy to have stayed on track over the holidays (some swapping around but all the mileage done). Tomorrow is back to work ... and time to shift some serious weight over weeks 5-14.image

•  

Strides.  I know that Pfitz says there should be more emphasis on them... but I can't get my head round them.  Earlier reading taught me that each run should have a purpose... and if you're on a slow run, then you should do nothing to recruit your faster twitch muscles.  So strides seem counter-productive, according to that philosophy.  Something about acidosis in the argument.

Anyway, Week 5 of 18/55 "completed".  Poor effort.   Only 2 runs this week. Life getting in the way. Long runs are on track, and I suppose I've been injury free, so I'm in no worse a position to those who've had to handle niggles. Otherwise I'd abandon and start 12/55 ... but I'll crack with my modified 18/55

• For some reason I can't get on this forum in the evening. Weird.

Yesterday's 18 was grim. Wind blowing force 6-7 and raining hard for the first 11 miles.

My Pfitz LR paces are 7:05-7:43 and I ran at 7:08, partly to get it over with and partly to stay warm whilst soaked!

Rest today and not at work. Nice!

• It's my favourite day of the plan - Rest dayimage  Which means stretching, core and foam rolling. 

• Bah - I got my dates wrong - another week of base building and making up my training as I go image

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Haddtastic Chick! image

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

Hi all!  

I am butting into this thread - P&D for Edinburgh marathon starts tonight image  I am a little early, but wanted to allow for any disastrous weather/illness/feeling like I need to repeat the odd week.  I've done some shuffling of days, my work schedule doesn't permit the optimum format for training, but I am hoping it'll still work as long as I don't end up with hard days squashed together too often...  Feeling like a have a life purpose again, I have been miserable since my last marathon!

• FergFerg ✭✭✭

So, literatin & Rachelcgen, my inner nerd has been gnawing away at me whispering...'get the spreadsheets, get the spreadsheets'...

Would you be happy to share?

I can of course produce a valid receipt for the P&D book to prove that I'm not mooching the plan image

• Fergster, I've sent you a message.

DT - sorry, completely forgot to answer your question about the inter-counties xc: 8 March at Cofton Park.

And well done to Rachel's niece for being good at running - hopefully her school has decent sports provision - I think that's the most important thing for building youthful enthusiasm as I was totally put off sport for years by my school being rubbish!

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Lit- I might pop along to that, its only about five miles from home. Shame I'm not good enough to qualify as that would probably be the closest xc I would ever do!!

What's this spreadsheet thing?? Might I be able to have a look?

Spotted last night that my arch in my sore foot is about half the height of my good foot. Having looked into the purpose of the foot arch it now explains why my foot feels like its been continuously smashed on the floor!

• Dr.Dan wrote (see)

Haddtastic Chick! image

Oh yeah, sub LT tomorrow image

• How Anal should I be with times.  It's my 4th mara, but first doing P&D I run by Km's and not Miles, don't know why just when I started out I preferred getting to markers quicker I guess, anyway, that's what I do so a run that says run at x pace and for example if that pace is 7 mins per km, should i be worried about putting in 6:45 or 7:15 km's.  Or should I try to be quite strict and set my watch to shout at me if I go quicker or slower than 5 seconds either side. 

I've estimated so if it says 10 to 20% slower than marathon pace i've put down on my spreadsheet to run them at 15% slower if that makes sense so i have leeway but I guess I should try to stick to the paces if I can and it will at least I guess help me get the feel of each pace if I try to stick close to them.

• That's one reason I don't actually like the spreadsheet that much booktrunk - it doesn't really allow for a range of paces. I would use the full range of 10-20% (slower towards the beginning of the run). But for the specific LT and VO2 stuff, I think you need to be more precise; 15 secs is LOADS over a mile so is even more of a massive range over a km! I would not be physically capable of doing the VO2 reps 15 secs per mile faster than the target pace. I tend to work in pace zones which are a range of 5 secs per mile for the faster paces, and broader for the slower ones.

• Thanks Literatin that make a lot of sense. image

• dont stress on the lsr paces BT. I did my 20 yesterday and I was a full 20 secs of pace and I know that will improve with the plan. The LT and tempo stuff is specific though. Try a VdOT calculator such as runbayou if you want more accurate training paces. Put in a recent race time and it will do it for you

• Thanks Mennania image based on my 5k it has my marathon time as 5 minutes faster than I'm planning. So that 's good to know, and the other times are useful to know. 

• booktrunk - 5k to marathon conversion is a bit approximate because they're such different distances, but what that means is you should base your VO2 rep pace on your actual 5k pace, not on your planned marathon pace (i.e. do them faster!) to get the most benefit.

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭
    DT19 wrote (see)

Lit- I might pop along to that, its only about five miles from home. Shame I'm not good enough to qualify as that would probably be the closest xc I would ever do!!

What's this spreadsheet thing?? Might I be able to have a look?

Spotted last night that my arch in my sore foot is about half the height of my good foot. Having looked into the purpose of the foot arch it now explains why my foot feels like its been continuously smashed on the floor!

Amazing the weird stuff you find when you start inspecting yourself DT!

Concluded my fourth week of marathon training with a round of the popular Sunday Night Tape Measure game.  'But mine can't possibly be bigger than yours! That's enormous!'... not sure who won

• Literatin: nooooo image Was thinking 6:15 per km (10m per mile) but this is saying I should be aiming for 6:06 per km........... Gonna have to redo the times in the spreadsheet!! Arrrrrgh. But, quicker would be good if I could keep it going. 

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello all. Back in sunny Manchester. Much nicer than grim old Lanzarote. Not. Did my LT run this morning before leaving for the airport, was 9mi with 4xLT miles. Went ok - was really knackered and sweaty at the end though.

Now I need to dry out and lose some weight.

Booktrunk - for most of my runs I run at a hard but comfortable pace, for the LT/MP/VO2 runs they are all hard and very uncomfortable!

• I knew I should have just kept lurking image 

Time to woman up. 

• don't listen to him booktrunk - most of my runs are at a piss-easy, can't even tell you're breathing pace. Oh except the LT/MP/VO2 runs. They're not much fun.

• MP isn't bad image up to a certain distance image

• RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

tut tut 15W. How will your body learn to burn fat if you do your long runs hard?

I think lots of us guys really struggle with this easy running business but most of the coaches seem to be pretty hot on it.

I deliberately did my 18 miler yesterday a bit slower and it felt great. I definitely feel less mentally and physically burnt out today as a result.