Options

Speed Endurance for 10k?

Comments

• Options
    cliff781cliff781 ✭✭✭

Race week has arrived and Ive got a cold starting image not good.

Any suggestions on sessions i could do this week leading up to the race on sunday?

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Tough one yesterday.  Fraserburgh 10k - finished 18th in 40:22.  It was really hot.  I guess that's the risk of racing 10k in June (even in the North East of Scotland...!).

I know I finished ahead of at least 3 guys who would normally be sub 40 10k runners, so the heat was definitely affecting most people.  A good run though - not a PB but it is a course best for me!  I ran it last year in 42:01 (when it was nowhere near as hot!).

Next race is 29th June - Peterhead 5k.  Nice easy cutback week for me this week after a pretty solid 6 weeks of training / racing.

• Options
    Cliff, with a cold settling in any hard stuff may make it worse - you won't get any fitter between now and race day so I'd suggest some easy / steady stuff and session wise perhaps some 800s - nothing to short and quick that way and nothing too long to over cook things..

6x800m at race pace ? I think I'd also reduce volume by 50% but keep intensity basically the same in general...

Calum, a good result. I think the heat affects the body more than any other element and finishing ahead of 3sub 40 guys is great going and a claim for sub 40indeed..

I managed a small 19miles last week on top of only 4miles the week before. 3weeks till my 10km also on the 29th...
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options

Don't know what it was like in Scotland exactly, but I was out with my family in Kew Gardens yesterday and it was bloody baking.  If I'd run a 40.22 in that weather, I would definitely see it as equal to or better than a sub-40 in fair conditions.

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

that excuse won't wash for your 8am race, GK. I hope you've been training well.

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

GK - it was about 20C during my race, which in equivalent terms for normal people (i.e. not a pale blue Scotsman like me) is about 100C...!image

The Garmin stats haven't picked up on the weather yet, but it was 18.5C on the way to the race (at 9.30am - race was at 11am), and when I got back in the car to drive home (at just after 12pm, it was 22C).  I think 20C would have been about it at 11am.  Hottest I've ran in this year by a long way!!

• Options
    marrows wrote (see)

that excuse won't wash for your 8am race, GK. I hope you've been training well.

I know, dammit.  Don't worry, I have a long list of other potential excuses.  Too early (I'm an owl, not a lark).  Miscounted number of laps.  Shortage of people with outstanding calves running in front of me. 

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    cliff781 wrote (see)

Any suggestions on sessions i could do this week leading up to the race on sunday?

Johnas wrote (see)
    Genghis Khan wrote (see)

As for next week, yes I'd taper so run easy Monday (optional) and Tuesday, on Weds I'd put a faster than race pace session in to get the legs ticking over - something like 2x 5x 200m @ 5K pace (200m jog between rep; 400m between set) would do the job. rest Thursday, easy Friday with some strides, race Saturday.

similar routine to GK would be a good idea IMO. You could always do the track session tomorrow as your race is Sunday

• Options

Did 2 x (6x200m) today.  More like 3k pace than 5k pace but felt OK and had plenty left in the tank afterwards, which I guess is the idea during race week.  

I like these short distances.  Why didn't I decide to be a 400m runner instead of this endurance crap?  Oh yes, that's right, because my fast twitch fibres are so slow you can see them move with the naked eye.

In response to Marrows above, have thought of more advance excuses for potential failure on Saturday:

- upset about Rik Mayall                                                                                                    - worried about England's World Cup prospects

• Options
    cliff781cliff781 ✭✭✭
    Johnas wrote (see)
    cliff781 wrote (see)

Johnas wrote (see)
    Genghis Khan wrote (see)

As for next week, yes I'd taper so run easy Monday (optional) and Tuesday, on Weds I'd put a faster than race pace session in to get the legs ticking over - something like 2x 5x 200m @ 5K pace (200m jog between rep; 400m between set) would do the job. rest Thursday, easy Friday with some strides, race Saturday.

similar routine to GK would be a good idea IMO. You could always do the track session tomorrow as your race is Sunday

OK thanks sounds good, I had Monday and Tuesday off to try get rid of this cold and most of it has cleared now, well i hope so anyway. Did a easy 4 mile run last night and going to do the 200m track session tonight and then rest till Sunday, fingers crossed that sub 19 will be smashed. 

• Options

5m v easy today with strides.  Felt stiff and sluggish all the way round until the last few sets of strides. but I'll put that down to usual pre-race feelings.

Race tomorrow.  My heart says sub-40 but my head says it's 3 weeks too early and sub-41 is more likely.  Will try to do the first 5k in exactly 20 minutes and see how I feel after that.  If not, there's always July.

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Good luck tomorrow GK - just make sure you do a decent warm up pre race and get those legs warmed up.

good luck too to Clif for Sunday's 5k

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Good luck GK.  Try not to leave it all out there at the 5k mark.  Struggling your way round to a sub 41 is much less fun than an even paced sub 41 or a negative split sub 41!!

• Options
    Good luck to anyone racing the weekend.. I have two weeks till my race and still not running.. Hoping to link in with old coach whilst on the IOW and get back to it though with this whole week being pretty much pain and stiffness free

I'll post any sessions he does - may be aimed at quicker stuff though like 3km..

I have an aim in the 10km (time) but course is undulating and not done a session to really gauge where I am... Plan to cycle it a few times over the next week so will have a good idea of it though..
  • Options

Battersea Park Self-Transcendence (sic) 10k.

39.32, woop woop woop.  image  Absolutely made up.  Not even England's World Cup match can spoil my weekend now.  

Good conditions - cool and overcast, if a bit muggy.  Splits not exactly a model of pacing, but what the hell:

3.42 (yeah, yeah, I know); 3.58; 3.54; 4.02; 3.57; 4.03; 3.55; 4.03 (hurting now); 4.00 (really hurting); 4.06 (eased off a little once I knew it was in the bag).                                             

Many thanks to all on this thread for advice, tips and inspiration.  

• Options
    Congrats!!! Top effort and pretty well paced bar first kmimage !! Onwards and upwards now image
  • Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    Well done GK! Those splits look good to me. And no excuses needed!
  • Options

Looking at the race results, my official time was 39.29.  Even better.  I must have been a bit slow fumbling with the stop button on my Garmin.

• Options
    cliff781cliff781 ✭✭✭

Well Done GK on the sub 40, top job image

Did my 5K race on sunday, didn't go exactly to plan, was fairly windy on the way out and just couldn't make back all the time loss on the way back. Tine was 19:28 so fairly happy with that, going to look for a park run to do soon hopefully with better conditions. 

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Always tough running on a windy day - i think it's my most hated weather condition for running or at least equal to scorching hot sunshine.

At least with a 5K you can go back out and race one again the following weekend. Pick a race and go for it

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Great stuff GK!  Smashed it!

• Options
    First track session in ages for me (big volume one)

Felt ok to run "properly" for near two weeks now..

I'm on the IOW so linked in with old coach, been having chats about what I should / shouldn't do etc.. Initially nothing under 800s but today I did

4 sets

800 (2mins)

800 (1 min)

400 (3 min between sets)

So 5 mile volume and pace was decided on taking my last 5km (16:08) and running just a few seconds per lap slower so 78s

The 400s was told to keep the lid on and run no more than 3seconds quicker
  • Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Well done GK! That's easily worth sub 39 when we take into account the Scotland independence referendum, world cup anxiety, etc..  What are you going to do to keep in shape once you've moved abroad and running becomes tricky?

• Options
    Straight up 4mile tempo today in the heat..

9 days out from race, don't expect to get quicker obviously but gave me an ok idea of capabilities

Marks first time ran 3 consecutive days in 6 weeks
  • Options

Tennis and a bit of gym, I suppose.  I like tennis, but also suck at it, so there is a long-term self-improvement project there if I can tolerate the inevitable beatings.  

Good luck to you, sure sub-3 and other glorious milestones lie ahead.

• Options
    cliff781cliff781 ✭✭✭

Just seen a lactate builder session online on running planet website, it says to do 1Min at nearly full pace and then 2 min recovery x 8, anybody done this kind of workout, any feedback good or bad?

http://www.runningplanet.com/5k-lactate-threshold-training-workouts.html

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

I did a very similar session a few weeks ago - 300m reps with 300m jog recoveries. Did it midweek before a road 10k but it was more tailored to a 5000m track race the week after. A good session and doing it by time means no need for you to find a track image

• Options
    Hi cliff, that would certainly build lactate up!

Pretty much for a range if athletes 300-400m flat out then 2 min rest..

However I fear the pacing would drop harshly as another similar session would be 10x400 off 60s which is tough and perhaps ran between 3-5km pace

Not sure how you could go much faster than that session I mentioned without breaking down or the pace not being "flat out" and losing quality and consistency

You could do this as an overload / progression session though for example

Taking a 400m rep from the session and trying to to run say 2-3 seconds quicker.. And seeing how many reps you can do before falling below the 400m rep session

For me I do 10x400 off 60s averaging 68/69s

And say I'd aim do 65/66s - I just couldn't see me getting past 4/5 reps before I was running 68s again.....
  • Options
    I think if I was to modify the session I'd perhaps have a 5 minute gap in the middle and let some lactate sink in..

2 x 4x400m (2mins)

5mins between sets

Each one would then be quicker than 3km race pace... Thoughts?
  • Options
    cliff781cliff781 ✭✭✭

Some interesting ideas you got there Scott, I think i might give that 400m x 10 60sec off a go tonight and see how i go, so should i do the first rep at fast comfortable pace, then try to do the other reps 3 sec faster than that and see how long i can hold that for in the 400m reps? correct me if im wrong, thanks