Sub 1:50 Half Marathon.

Comments

• If you want a shot at sub 1:50 try the Maidenhead HM on Sept 8th. I did it last year as my first HM at 1:55, and with more experience now I am aiming for 1:50 on this very flat course. May be a stretch though as I am 50 yrs and rarely does more than three training runs a week.

• or the Gosport half in november- billed as the fastest course in the uk. (not great on the sceanery thou)

• Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭

Surrey Badger on Sunday. Hot, hilly and so therefore slow. I will be running with a friend on her first half. Should be gentle jog round 2hrs+

• Raquel 65Raquel 65 ✭✭✭

Wow you run a lot of half marathons! I think it's gonna be really hot but I hope you enjoy it. I've booked Brighton half in Feb and someone said he'll pace me round another one in September so I'm gonna try to go faster then. image

• Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭

It was really hot. 1195ft of ascent according to my friend's Garmin. It was her first marathon and we did it in 2h25m. It was a wise idea not to go for sub 1h50m. 

One guy hospitalised. 500runners. I think we'll be back again next year. 

• I've just got into Conwy again in November, but I'm not building my hopes up for a sub 1:50 in that one - the climb is just too long and too relentless, although I seem to remember the downhill was fun, with aeroplane noises from a runner from Buxton and running like Phoebe from Friends from me! 

It's taken me a long time to get my mojo back after my marathon in April - I've kept on running but haven't wanted to race at all.  Having said that, I'm now helping a friend train for the Chester Marathon in October, so I'm doing longer runs and hoping that will restore my confidence.  I also got within four seconds of my parkrun PB last Saturday and managed my local hill-from-hell last night (first lady up - whooppee!) so maybe, just maybe.....

It's great reading about all your races and training tips though - keep them coming, they inspire and motivate!  At the risk of sounding like Mr Grace, "You're all doing very well!"

• Training for New Forest Marathon has hit a few problems. So far just the one 19mile completed. 2 attempts aborted due to heat, humidity and too much partying. Have decided to have an easy week with nothing longer than 4miles until Sunday. 

That's the last time I enter a September marathon...

When can I get back to Halfs?

• Blimey not surprised you're finding it hard to get in the long runs in this heat TimIt does sound really hard training for a marathon this time of year, but especially this year - it's been really hot. What date is the marathon? Do you have time for a couple of long ones? Good luck with it!

I never run as much in August as me and the kids are both off work and I'm just lazy. I've still been running nearly every day but 7 or 8 miles max and most days just 3 or 4. I also got within 5 secs of my Parkrun PB week before last, Aunt Ninja  and someone has offered to try to pace me to 23-30 this Saturday, though I can't believe I'll be able to run it that fast. It will be interesting to see how fast I can do it with someone to help...

I haven't entered Stroud yet but I think I will. Is anyone doing any other halfs this Autumn? 

• I'm struggling to find halfs. Thrte are a few big ones in London. Ricchmond and Run to the Beat, I guess they're full. The Marathon is 22nd Sep. one more 19 on 1st Sep and I'll be happy.

Looking to enter the Ware 10mile on/around Oct 13th

• 23 min 5k sounds fast. Good luck. That's just over 7:25min miles. I really should try a park run. My 4.4milers aren't flat but usually I average 7:45 on a fast day. That would be 24min.

• My pb is 23-52. The course is 3 laps with a hill at the start - it's not very enjoyable! he's going to try to pace me to 23-30 (not 23!) but I am not sure I can do it that fast. I'll be very chuffed if I do!

You should try Parkrun if you have one near you - it's really addictive. I'm sure you'd beat 24 as it's always faster in a race environment.

Best of luck with the marathon training! Are you aiming for a time? (Sorry you may have already said) 

• Ok. I didn't understand what the '-' meant. Thought you meant 23 to 30 which was a bit strange.

According to McMillan I should be capable of sub 4 with a 1:50 half marathon. The profile of New Forest looks less severe than my training runs and the St Albans so I'm hopeful. Will see.

You should beat 23:30 5k.

• Oops should have put a colon not a dash image

• When is your marathon?

• 22nd September. I've just been out tonight 4.5miles @ average 8:00. Not really puffing much. just comfortably hard. 

• I got 23:47 in the Parkrun which I was really pleased with as I've been trying to beat my time for months! It really was great to have someone to pace me, though it still felt really hard... Maybe that 's what we all need to beat 1:50?

All the best for the marathon training Tim! I ran 6.5 miles today and it still feels hot and humid out there. 

• Good work.

Stuck to 4mile runs this week. 6 of them. Then 16miles yesterday felt easy and thought I could have carried on. All good. 

• Wow - 16 miles, that's great. So that's 40 miles for the week? I was just re-reading Murakami's book today and he says 6 miles a day is the key, 36 per week on average. I think he seems to know what he's on about - he ran loads of marathons! Good luck with it image 

• I had forgotten about this target. Training for the marathon was my main aim. 

Was a tough outing. Hot and humid day with some serious undulations and 'trail' sections. Blew up at mile 17 and the last 9 miles took about 1:40. Ouch. 4:50:28 in the end.

Then the Ware10 a couple of weeks ago 1:22:20. I'm very pleased with that. A couple of small inclines scrubbed some time off.

I've upped the mileage since and incorporated intervals so my typical week is now:

6 easy, rest, 10 (including 4 at half mara tempo), 6 easy, 6x1000m, 6 easy, 13-18 LSR. 

Sunday - Stevenage Half Marathon...

• 1:49:13 at Stevenage Half Marathon. I was going strong and on for 1:45 at halfway but the 2 mile incline was hard.

1:45 next then...

• Well run!  Does this mean you're abandoning all us snails for another "Sub 1:45" thread?

• I was beginning to think I was talking to myself image

I can't see any sub 1:45 threads so was going to stick around here until I go consistently under 1:50 or somehow suddenly drop below 1:45image
  • Maybe I am talking to myself.

Baldock Beast in next couple of weeks and Reading Half in March.

My main objective though has become the London Marathon. I've really stepped up the mileage and am now doing around 50-60miles a week.

Anyone else still looking for sub 1:50/1:45?
  • Isn't McMillan 1:53 for sub 4 image so 1:50 should be comfycomfy

• It should be shouldn't it. That marathon is a funny beast. Then you have to somehow relate the time for your 10mile mudfest with your cold flat road half with howling wind and your humid hilly marathon.

It's all experience and how you perform on the day really. All you can do is put in the training and hope it all pays off on the day.
  • Yep, it's like Lee Travino's quote the more I practise the luckier I get....

Just keep on doing it and it will come together.

• Hey Tim R, I also forgot about this thread until today when I ran the Brighton half. Well done on cracking 1:50! I am really happy - I ran 1:48:24 in Brighton. The key was having someone to pace me and also running a lot of miles these last couple of months. I'm feeling well chuffed!
  • Well done that's a brilliant result. I ran a hilly half yesterday and went out far to fast, think I'm suffering from a virus of some kind. Did first 10k in under 50mins crashed and burned at 8miles and hung on for a 1:59 finish. Not great.
  • Wow you run loads of halfs! It is hard to pace them isn't it and also if it's hilly it's much harder. Brighton was really flat. I am running a 15 mile trail race through the forest on 22nd March - I'm sure that will be very slow! Also planning on doing Hackney half which is new, in the summer. It's very expensive but very near to me and I know the area so hard to resist. Good luck at Reading and then London image
  • I just went out about 20secs/mi too fast. Silly really.

I've seen the ads for the Hackney half but think I've got enough to fill the diary. Good luck.