Options

The Middle Ground

Comments

• Options
    WJHWJH ✭✭✭
    X post good effort by the sound Andrew on a course which doesn't sound the easiest! And on one you went familiar with so good effort.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Good effort, Andrew. Its all relative to the course.

Just on a loo stop on the m50 and its pretty blustery. The weather that is. Managed a decent sleep last night and feel well tapered. Just need son big lads to tuck in behind.
  • Options
    MYOXMYOX ✭✭✭

Good stuff, Andrew. I'd imagine starting a 5K on an uphill must be very difficult to pace.

Good luck in Cardiff today, DT!

I'm in southern Poland visiting my fiance's family but found time for a beautiful 12km or so this afternoon. Didn't really know where I was going so just ran up the road, only to find myself running in snow after about half a kilometer. Proceeded to make 900 ft of ascent, overtaking (!) various cross country skiers - they looked a bit confused - and then skidded back down. It took about 70 mins and it was awesome.

No idea what my calves will feel like tomorrow, though!

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    That was tough going, second half in particular. 1.26.45 so over a minute short from last months pb but also a minute faster than same course in October.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Good to meet wjh also.
  • Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Well done DT - a good result in those conditions. Looked horrible at about 3pm as the male elites reached the last couple of miles. Must put you well on course for a sub3 marathon - not sure what your target is?

• Options
    WJHWJH ✭✭✭
    1:32:10 here and likewise found the last 6 miles tough going. Would have liked a bit faster but have ran 31 miles since Monday plus 14 or so today. For me on a racing week that's a fair amount but have had to play catch up with London ahead. Hoping it gives an outside chance for another sub 3:15 marathon shot and would take that for now. That squall made things interesting around 8 miles...never raced in rain that intense before.

The winner did brilliantly considering his stumble at the start.

Good to meet you too DT and excellent time considering the conditions...I had you in my sights for the first half mile but lost you pretty quickly after that!
  • Options

What a great result DT especially in those conditions it gives you hope for your marathon timeimage

WJH:You did fab as no taper and again the weather it looked horrid conditions good luck with marathon training is it London? you will be tapering soon enough?

The winner indeed I could not believe the drama unfolding and how quick he got back to the chasing group those cuts on his knees looked nasty to then go on and winner a true champion.Mo did really well and had a good race not being dragged into the faster pace  and that kick at the end worldclassimage

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I'm just watching the tv recording of the race now.

I'm none the wiser re the marathon. I need to do some internet stalking on other runners finishing around me to see what they have posted this year in half ir 10ks. Also be useful to know what difficulty runbriation give it.

Just having a lol at the commentator on women's race. Runners are at 3 miles which is probably the biggest climb of race, which she says 'it looks like they are running up a slight incline'......and the rest!

Well done on your time, WJH, off illness then a full week.

Given I paid ??58 for entry, as I was walking back past the finish for my lift I noticed they had boxes of small mens t shirts left and the weren't many size small men finishing at the 2 hour 30 point so I nicely asked for a second which they agreed. Decent quality addidas tech, sort of thing you'd pay ??15-??20 for so feel I've clawed back some of the fee.
  • Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Did a 7 miler this evening to round the week off at 25 miles, which was intentionally lower than I have been doing recently to ease me back in after the illness and subsequent fatigue (and week off running). Was into a tough headwind on the return 3.5 miles, but nothing compared to the conditions you boys faced in Cardiff image

• Options
    WJHWJH ✭✭✭
    Cheers WP yes I was lucky to get a ballot place for London. Just a few more (relatively) big mileage weeks left. I really enjoy the taper unlike many so looking forward to that. Mo did very well and had an excellent time despite being dissapointed with 3rd. I might try and look to do a race your way later this year...the Swansea 10k perhaps which I've done before.

Yes it is a bit of a climb DT. I often run along that way and through Penarth marina, barrage etc with my brother when I'm back visiting. Good work with the t shirt! Sub 3 might still be possible and certainly hard to gauge a predicted time off yesterday. I know of a few runners who have broken 3 hours comfortably with a 38 minute 10k and 1:26 half at the time.

Managed a steady 5 this evening which makes this a 50 plus week. Will aim for higher this week coming with a couple of twenties early and late on in the week to make up for recent weeks. My average pace on steady runs has dropped by 25 to 30 seconds a mile recently so think that is a better measure of current fitness than yesterday's time. Losing weight (almost half a stone) is the sole reason for this I think. I certainly need some quality runs mixed in with this though to allow everything to come together at London having missed out on key sessions recently. The taper period especially will be good for getting the legs ticking over at a faster pace.
  • Options

WJH: Swansea 10k is a nice race I ran it last year after 9 years out, Llanelli have a 10k in July.Good luck with the taper and well done on weight loss I am trying to get back to where I was in summer with weight about half a stone i have put on  and I still have 1.5 stone to lose on top of the gain! I like the way you gauge your fitness and sounds a good way to do soimage

DT:Nice one on second T shirt image

Andrew: Nice weekly mileage it looking good again for you?

Yesterday I ran 2 miles and today 3 miles don't get me wrong knee still painful but less so and it seems the downhill it aches more, out of 10 I would rate it 5 which is a big improvement but a long way to go I am still annoyed about Cardiff entry fee and I have another in 3 weeks which is looking doubtful in Llanelli.

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

WP - glad to hear that you are getting back out there. Take it easy and certainly don't rush back into racing too soon! No running here since Sunday due to family and work commitments, but am planning 6 miles tonight straight after work.

WJH - you sound like you are looking forward to the taper period. Sure it will all come together for a good marathon on the day.

I was chatting with my wife last night and commenting that I just don't know where people find the time in a week to do 50+ miles (or even 30+ miles to be honest!). Maybe I'm lazy (don't like getting up early) or just very inefficient with my time but I don't think I'll ever run a marathon as I just can't see where I would find the time to do the required mileage! So kudos to those you that do marathons!

• Options

Andrew- Good luck with the 6 miles tonight you can do it.

4 miles for me less knee pain  a good run HR is still sky high .I am not rushing into racing at all will leave it till June when I have another half all paid for.I hate all this money wasted.

I found when I ran 80-90 miles a week it involved early morning runs to work and from work you just find the time mind you I could not do that now.I like getting up early so always run early before life gets in the wayimage

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Did the 6 miles last night in a good pace (8.23 m/m average, which is right at the quickest end of my easy paces) and it felt really good. Gave me some confidence back after a tough couple of weeks. Planning some intervals tonight.

• Options

Andrew_ Well done that is great going I wish my easy pace was that fastimage I am sure the intervals will go just as well it sounds like you have some confidence back.

5 miles for me today part of the last race I did cinder path near to the Lake and it was fast for me 9.52 av pace which was totally unexpected as just taking it easy.

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Hi guys,

Andrew, you are way more patient with you sessions than me in terms of how you deal with returns from stresses and illness. Slow and steady wins the race I guess but I do wonder if you can spun the wheel a bit more?

WP, good going. Hopefully the injury is settled.

Wjh, looks like you recovered from Cardiff. Faster than I did. Cant believe its only just 3 weeks to London now.

I took a rest day Sunday then cycled Mobday. I'm on a bonus week this week having started my schedule 4 weeks early. I've not needed this spare week so I've decided to train properly as I seem to move better on momentum. I planned an easy run Tuesday having dropped my sin at a kids club at David Lloyd. I then realised half way id calculated it all wrong and ended up with 8 miles on a hilly route with the last four at mp. I followed that with 3 x 1 mile yesterday and a rest today.

Planning 7 ish at mp tomorrow bthen final big tun of 22 Sunday.

Andrew. As Wp says, you have to make it happen. I don't train early on in day as don't like that. At moment in running 40 over 4 runs and spinning twice. I only fo I as I'm creative. I have a lot of offsite meetings so plan then give me a Headstart ie 4.30 finish or 940 start do I can train around them, plus usually two lunchbreaks are running lunches. Add into 15-30 miles at the weekend plus spin and it's pretty easy.
  • Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

WHJ / DT ... well done on getting through the Cardiff squall. Good times considering!

WP - are you confident that the knee will improve if you keep running on it?

Andrew ... I've managed to squeeze in marathon training with the help of lunchtime running, run-commuting and early Sunday morning long runs.

I had 10 days of no cycling due to being off work ... thought it may be an opportunity to get some good running sessions in but the lurgy struck and I've been struggling. I did manage a 20:23 parkrun on Easter Saturday, despite feeling the onset of an infection ... first V45 which I'll take given I'm pretty close to the V50 threshold now - in fact  of the 20 who beat me, 19 were younger. By Thursday I was feeling OK and did 8.3 with 6 @ MP which felt much harder than it should have ... then yesterday I did 14.3, which turned out to be a complete struggle (no legs at all, despite fuelling being ok). Hoping that's just a hangover from the virusimage. Anyhow, back on the bike today...

• Options
    WJHWJH ✭✭✭

Some good running there Dr Dan. Strong parkrun by the sounds and not a million miles off sub 20. Have you lost any more weight too? 

Andrew as has been said and sure I've mentioned it before, I do some of my training at lunchtime (gym) during a normal week and have a very understanding Ms WJH who lets me get on with it in the evenings. That said, I think she is looking forward to the bigger mileage weeks being over! I don't know how busy your work can be but mine has its peaks (although rather less troughs!) and perhaps you have less time than others may have. Some are able to commute and fit big mileage in that way so it really is about getting a routine that best works for you. I read other threads where some fit in huge mileage up to 100 plus miles which amazes me too as some of them must have families etc. that said, if I was a runnable commuting distance on a daily basis, I'm sure I'd fit more in myself. As for marathon training, I'm looking forward to not doing another for quite some time as I initially was before the ballot place came through my door! image Sounds like you are being sensible with your training after being ill too. And how were your intervals? 

I feel your frustration paying for races that you aren't then able to run WP. It's only ever happened a few times here including the Eastleigh 10k a few weeks back. Missing out on the technical t-shirt is also an annoyance but then again I almost need a spare room for the amount I have now. Will look into the Llanelli 10k, cheers! Is the knee improving or still troubling you? 

Snap DT just under 3 weeks to London and the relief of the taper period has kicked in here already. Your sessions have been very impressive! How did the 22 go? I did seem to recover more quickly than the Brighton half from early February although started feeling very fatigued by the middle of last week which wasn't surprising following a tempo effort 5k on Monday (20:35) and 22 miler Wednesday. Not ideally planned but with a week off tried to cram as much as possible in. I also managed 20 yesterday which made for 66.4 miles last week and roughly 51 the week previous. It will probably result in only marginal gains at London though and still suspect marathon pace will (hopefully) be the right side of 7:30. However, I strongly suspect I'll have to try that bit more for sub 3:15 this time round due to the challenge of preventing any Garmin slippage which will be difficult at London! Not progress on previous years but it would be progress on a crap year of racing since the Manchester marathon last year. 

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    WJH wrote (see)

Some good running there Dr Dan. Strong parkrun by the sounds and not a million miles off sub 20. Have you lost any more weight too? 

Not much weight-loss this month ... 2-3 lb at the most before Easter but may have put that back on by now after a week off bike/swim/diet last week. I've been back on the diet regime since Friday though. Not expecting anything too dramatic now as I'm pretty much as low as I've been for 20 years! Would love to see a gradual loss over the next few months to get down below 12s again... I reckon that would be about right for race weight ... I'd probably have to go back to over 25 years since that last happened!

• Options

Good afternoonimage

Dan: the pain is in knee area but a hip flexor problem and I know I can run on it as had this problem begining of year.

WJH: yes it is so nice to get a technical T shirt instead of the old cotton ones although some of the smaller races it is a cotton top. The knee is improving all the time I am still getting knee twinges but it moves around the otter leg/knee when running eases off but hates the flat as I found out today is fine uphill!

It sounds like training has gone okay for you and a nice way to put an end to a horrid year for you.I look forward hearing all about it a good friend is running London and she is hoping to go sub 3 hours if she can so will be a good day to be an armchair supporter.

Good luck with the tapering!!

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Thanks for your comments guys. The problems I have are that I live a 10 mile journey from work so run-commuting would be tough. Also we don't have any showers/changing facilities so couldn't really run to work then have client meetings etc (I'm a solicitor). Lunchtimes present the same issue (no showers etc) and although in theory I could go to the gym at lunchtime I only have a one hour lunch which is quite strictly imposed (and often I don't get more than a 10 min break for lunch anyway). I run straight after work before driving home 3 or 4 nights a week, but they are limited in time to about 40/45 mins max to allow me to get home in time for little one's bath/bedtime. Early morning I suppose I could take more advantage of. Weekends I play cricket all summer on Saturdays and also go to watch football on quite a few Saturday's in the winter, so already feel like I am taking liberties without also going out for longish runs on both weekend days!

Anyway, been away this weekend and it was so busy that I didn't get to run at all, despite taking my stuff with me. Got to get back into it properly this week! 10k race planned on Sunday morning.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Evening....good parkrun Dr Dan. Must be one of your quickest for a while?

Andrew, I have an arrangement in work that one lunchtime a week I take a 90 min lunch and do a proper session at the gym so I can then shower. Also I'll run was one lunchtime. If that's done easy enough you ought not yo sweat. I'm also creative with meetings ie if I am booking a local meeting I will book it for 9.30 or 4pm and do something at 8am or be him by 5 and out early. I have also had to let things go. I cant go out to a footy match or even insist on sitting down gor two hours to watch one on sky and go out running for two hours. I've just let the footy go. There's enough footy on tv in the week etc to happily leave it at the weekend.

Hope you get sorted soon wp. I must say in the Las few years I've noticed a greater proportion of races give out decent tech t shirts. The cotton ones are just useless really. Ud rather pay less for the race and not have one. Equally id rather pay a bit more and get a tech one.

I've had a couple of decent runs though I must say, unlike WJH, I've been really heavy legged after Cardiff. 22 yesterday went ok. 2 miles in my legs felt heavy and tired and I wondered what would happen. Oddly then didn't seem to tire much more from that point.

I've hot a big session on Wednesday. Of 15 with 13@mp. Sunday I'm doing a 10k instead of 5@lt.

That's a big week, Wjh. Conincidentally this was my biggest week in about a year with 45 miles and 3x x train.

I'm getting a little annoyed with the Cardiff half as they have still not submitted full results. Run Britain have chased several times and no response. Not goid for a race of that level at that cost.
  • Options
    WJHWJH ✭✭✭

Interesting one that Andrew re: no showers at work which does make a difference. As does having a gym nearby. My old workplace had no showers or a gym close by at least at the time which does allow that option. Admittedly, I could have made more use of my time running before work during my time there as I was only a few miles down the road. Equally, my previous workplace had a big brother management culture and I strongly suspect my previous manager wouldn't have liked anyone taking very long lunch breaks (despite the flexi allowing). All of these little things make a big difference. As for the football, I have recently taken headphones out for a few of my longer runs when a match is on...in many ways I prefer radio commentary to what's shown on Sky.

Good work on the 22 DT. I suspect I've recovered quicker because I haven't done as many big sessions although have had typical peak training week fatigue since the 22 last Wednesday. Strangely apart from the Friday a couple of days later the legs haven't felt so bad - more the head and body generally has wanted to shut off. I don't feel so bad today strangely though. My mileage from last week might actually be 67 but either way it's a personal record for me beating last years 58.8. Certainly not in the 80-90 miles per week mind WP image and just a normal weeks training for the elites on here. But I'll take it as a fairly decent week in all.

• Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

I've had a season ticket at the club I support and also gone to a few away games for about 25 years, so to give up going to the football at all is difficult! Funnily enough, I don't really ever watch footy on tv but I agree about the radio commentary actually being better than the tv commentary!

Where I work it very much frowned upon to be a 9-5er and to take an hour for lunch (even though that is what we are contracted to do), which isn't very accommodating to having a family or outside interests which take up time (such as running)! 

I think the balance I have to strike is to pick a couple of periods in each year (maybe a couple of months in spring and another couple in autumn) to up the mileage a bit and maybe focus on HMs, but otherwise to accept that 25/30 miles a week is about my limit without creating difficulties at work or home and therefore only focus on 5/10k racing.

I think I will still race the 10 mile race in May which I had been targeting, but will accept beforehand that my time there will not be anywhere close to what it could have been had I been able to train as I had hoped.

DT - good work with the 22 on tired legs. Are you looking forward to the taper?

WJH - equally, good mileage. You must be feeling in pretty good shape at the moment?

Dan - good parkrun!

WP - hope the injury isn't hampering you too much.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Andrew, under the half marathon schedule I followed from June to Octoberi think for the said period my average mileage was 24 miles.

At the end of marathon training, I'll tot ip my mileage. I suspect the average will be low 30s. I think 25/30 miles a,week consistently is quite adequate to run decent times.

My place are the polar opposite. I've full remote access so quite often don't go in if I've local meetings and when I am in, unless I have clients in late, I go at 5 but once in settled I'll deal with e mails etc for a bit.

Not overly so as i font really feel its been a huge amount of hard work. I've quite enjoyed it all. My fear is that I don't force myself to taper and whilst I'll drop the running I'll just replace it with spin classes.
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

DT: take it easy over the next two and a half weeks! I'd forget about the spinning...and forget about most of the running. There is no training benefit to be gained from here on in...Better to be 10% under prepared than 10% over!

Still ticking over steadily here, averaging just under 50k a week so far this year, with all 95 days run so far, and current streak now at day 612. Largely steady running: anything involving speed or involving hills seems to involve niggles! Don't seem to be losing much weight though,just a couple of pounds so far this year.

Dan: would like a 5k time similar to yyours this summer as it will give me 80% WAVA. 20:24 or better required!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

DT/WJH ... good big weeks for both of you -  not long until taper madness really sets in. Both looking good at this stage!

DT - yes, that's my fastest parkrun for 2 years (and my 3rd best ever parkrun WAVA).

Andrew ... can you cycle to work? I find it make a big difference as it's just as fast as driving (usually faster) but reduces the amount of recovery pace runs I need to do, so I can operate on a lower run mileage.

Alehouse - great streaking! RE: weight, are you consciously attempting to tackle it via diet/nutrition ... or just hoping the running will have an effect? I'm now officially back to my pre-Easter weight ... "fat week" was enjoyable. Now equal to my lowest weight as an old-codger - it's the next 4-5 lb that will be tough.

I started on the "British-Summer-Time commute route" on the bike as of yesterday, using the resurfaced canal tow-path. Much nicer and safer (but useless in the darker months). My legs are still hurting from Sunday's LSR (don't know why it was so tough and took so much out of me), so I'll do my speed-work tomorrow... I did 64 lengths of front-crawl before work instead.

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Dan: no, not consciously trying to drop weight! In the past it has dropped through running, and since the beginning of the current streak I have lost about 18 lbs. Would like at least another 6 or 7! Am currently 9:12: used to race at between 8:2 and 8:7! The first was too light and led to illness and injury; the latter was about right. Whilst it seems light these days, in the 70s I was a typical runner's build. Even the running population is bulkier than it once was!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

DT - you're probably right and I am over thinking things and falling into the trap of thinking I need to be doing 40/50+ mile weeks to properly train for longer races! Interesting you use the word 'consistently' - I think this really is the key, but also something I seem to really struggle with for one reason or another. I thought I had built some up through Jan and Feb, but the last month has been a write off again due to illness, holiday, work, baby etc. Hopefully April will be better!

Dan - in theory yes, but I don't own a bike, part of the journey is down a fast and very busy dual carriageway and the issue of no changing room at work would present itself too.

I know I sound like I am dismissing all offers of help, apologies!