Options

The Middle Ground

Comments

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Alehouse ... that pretty light! I'm down to 12s 4lb (78 Kg) and was 11s 7lb when I left school as a lanky 18 year old ... I'm the same height as Steve Cram but he was 10s 13lb (69 Kg, racing weight) in his prime, which is the "ideal" 15% below average on the Stillman scale. I think I'm about 5% under average now ... I expect the best I could (or would be willing to) do would be 7-8%.

Andrew ... your only hope is night running! image

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Link to Stillman on this page: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/general-running/the-stillman-formula-for-optimal-running-weight/205628.html

Andrew: is there any way that a couple of times a week you can get a lift to work/use a bus or train, and then run home (and not down the  busy dual carriageway)?

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Alehouse - I have looked into this, as there is a route I can take (a bit more 'as the crow flies' than the driving route) which is about 9 miles home and I have considered doing this and getting a lift from my wife either the morning before or after. Not sure she would be keen on doing it too often though!

Anyway, am going out for 5.5 miles tonight straight after work, including warm up then 20 mins at MP and then 5 mins tempo before a warm down.

• Options

Goodness me I looked at stillman formula looks like I need to lose a head and a leg or grow another 12 inches those calculation are low.I think hubby would go nuts if I weighed 6st 13lbs!

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    That says I should bt 9 stone 4, otherwise known as unwell! Oddly I am 69 kilos which is what it claims to be average!

Andrew, I'm sure you will do better in a half on 40-50 miles a week, the problem is you're not consistently doing that. I think you're better off finding something that does fit and making it every week. The trade off for lower mileage is higher paces within each zone but you can do it as you get more recovery.

Cycling 10 miles to work eont get a sweat on. I've done a summer cycle commute for last 5 years of 13.5 and if I did it steady I don't arrive a mess. The point is,bthere are ways outside just coming him and going for a run. You just have to make it work and suck up some of the side impact.

Alehouse, glad your 'run' is still going. I see your point but think I have a couple of key sessions left to nail, even if just got the psychological boost. They are 13 @ mp, 10k race then 10@mp. Aside from those, id agree that the main aim I to get to the start in good and rested shape.

Annoyingly my 13 at mp is tomorrow and its the only windy day of the week. I feel right through this schedule that every time I've had a time measured session the wind has upped its game.
  • Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Dangimage ... cycled to work, brought my running kit in for a session which I planned to do straight off the bike ... but forgot my trainers! Looks like today's 3x1mile session will be done in the wind and rain later on.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    That's a pain Dr Dan.

Went out and did my session. Obviously I couldn't run 13 miles without pushing on to 13.1. Came out 6.51 average pace for 1.29.38. It felt harder than id want it to feel in a marathon comes miles 11 and 12 though I do have to factor in I did a 22 Sunday and 8 yesterday plus it was windy and even though I got some assistance, the resistance will always have a greater impact, I wasn't carb loaded and I was on my own with more hills than London.

Funnily, 12 months ago I raced a half in 1.30.06 and was wrecked. This was steady.
  • Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Shows how much the change of training plan has helped you DT

Dan - hard luck. I often pack my running bag bleary eyed and in a rush in the morning and I'm sure it won't be long until I try to go for a run after work and realise I've forgotten something! Hope the session went well once you got round to it.

WP - how is the injury? Any better?

6 miles easy paced after work tonight at a 8:31 m/m average. Quite a hilly route too, and it was windy. Planning tomorrow's run for first thing before work, as the weather looks a bit rubbish here tomorrow evening.

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Sub 90 HM in training and in the wind ... pretty good DT.

Andrew - good work on the 6 miler. Hope you get up in time tomorrow! image

I paid the price for my forgetfulness ... did my session at 6pm in a gale and a squall. Pretty brutal ... I did my 3 x 1 mile reps as 1/2 mile out-and-backs on the tow-path.

1, 6:48, 147/155 bpm (average/max)
    2, 6:35, 152/159
    3, 6:43, 153/158

Assumed it wasn't too great until I checked back on the last time I did the same session (17th Feb) and could see slight improvement (faster for lower HR) despite substantially poorer conditions....

6:46, 153/159 bpm
    6:51, 154/158 bpm
    6:53, 154/159 bpm

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    That makes for excellent reading, Dr Dan!

I did same this afternoon. In Seotember I did same session at 7.07 for same hr, in much better conditions.

I don't take my running and cycling shoes, toiletry bag, watch and hrm out if bag and every night pretty much as soon as I'm home I replenish a cycling kit and indoor and outdoor run kit. You never know what might happen!!

Get your kit laid out next yo the bed tonight, Andrew so you're not crashing about in the morning or losing time.

I'm planning a well earned rest tomorrow and as I'm off work this week and wife I working away tonight, I'm having a few drinks with the footy and beyond.

It foes look odd to me, a sub 90 in training as in my head id still take that as a C time in a race.
  • Options
    WJHWJH ✭✭✭

Great reps and improvement on last month Dr Dan. Good with the continued weight loss too even if a few pounds.

I can't relate to that Stillman formula either WP....although I'm way off the scale to what it shows that I may as well take up sumo wrestling instead! 

Hope the early run goes ok Andrew. 

Great run DT. You must be confident of giving sub 3 a shot now as you have nothing to lose really. I'd gamble in your position as even if you did blow up you would still probably get the qualifying time. I'd also rather know I gave it a shot than end up a few minutes out although appreciate its all about very fine margins! No pressure or anything but you must have a strong chance of it now. 

Managed a 6x800 session last night. Legs obviously heavy from last week and each came out between 3:13 and 3:19 (the latter being the first rep). I'm pretty sure they would have been faster without last weeks highest ever mileage although have not really bothered targeting anything this short for a while. Managed a steady effort tonight in circa 8 minute mile which was again on fairly heavy legs but will take it easy up to the weekend. 

• Options
    WJHWJH ✭✭✭

Great reps and improvement on last month Dr Dan. Good with the continued weight loss too even if a few pounds.

I can't relate to that Stillman formula either WP....although I'm way off the scale to what it shows that I may as well take up sumo wrestling instead! 

Hope the early run goes ok Andrew. 

Good work on the running streak too Alehouse....is it inspired by Ron Hill by any chance as you ran with him on a landmark run didn't you? 

Great run DT. You must be confident of giving sub 3 a shot now as you have nothing to lose really. I'd gamble in your position as even if you did blow up you would still probably get the qualifying time. I'd also rather know I gave it a shot than end up a few minutes out although appreciate its all about very fine margins! No pressure or anything but you must have a strong chance of it now. 

Managed a 6x800 session last night. Legs obviously heavy from last week and each came out between 3:13 and 3:19 (the latter being the first rep). I'm pretty sure they would have been faster without last weeks highest ever mileage although have not really bothered targeting anything this short for a while. Managed a steady effort tonight in circa 8 minute mile which was again on fairly heavy legs but will take it easy up to the weekend. 

• Options
    WJHWJH ✭✭✭

Apologies for the double post added a bit more in but was meant to edit it! 

• Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

So I managed to get up and out in time for the 5 miler before having to get ready for work. Lovely morning. Felt quite knackered throughout the run (probably as so soon after last night's run) which contributed to the pace being about 30 secs per mile slower than last night, but still at 9.03 average which is within the easy paces, but I got through it and it is miles in the bank I suppose.

WJH - good reps. Good to get some shorter, quicker stuff in amongst all the mara training sessions just to remind the legs that they can run at a quicker pace! Have you got a race this weekend then?

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

DT - yes, I have pretty strict systems in place to make sure I have the right kit and clothes (and keys and paperwork) for commuting. Clearly had a senior moment though yesterdayimage.

Well done on the 6x800m  WJH ... that should wake the legs back up!

Andrew - well done on the pre-work run! Last night's run will be have been in your legs, so all good training (accumulated fatigue is essential).

Bike commuting and a "non-stop" 64x25m front crawl swim this morning.

EDIT: just entered a flat 10 mile race for April 17th and a flat 5K race on May 18th. Main target race is still the hilly Leeds HM on May 8th.

• Options

WJH: I might have to sign up for sumo wrestling as well;-(

I am useless with Geography so maybe not  be anywhere near family but Mic Morris 10k Torfan July and Lake Vrwyny half marathon September around a week or 2 weeks before Swansea 10k.

6 x 800m a great session!!

Andrew: wow well done on pre work run we will make an early morning running out of you yetimage

Dan: well done on your session's and have all the kit you needed!!

6 miles all week today was 5.3 miles along Llanelli half course in a awful headwind I was running backwards about a minute a mile slower than last week.But no knee pain first dayimage

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Well done WP ... the Lake Vrwyny half marathon is a nice race which I've done a couple of times (and pretty much wind proof too, which is unusual for a flat course). Too close to the Notts marathon to do this time though.

• Options

That is a shame Dan.....I ran it last year and the time before was 10 years ago but a fab run yes you are right pretty wind proof and such friendly runners great banter.On my hit list again for this yearimage

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

WP - I doubt it, I was thinking during the run that every time I do get up early to run it reminds me why I don't do it very often!

Good news on the lack of knee pain!

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

WP ... last time I did it it was 2013 and it was in a down-pour and very windy. The trees protected us from the wind at least... but we were drenched. I used the soggy image from it as my profile pic on Po10. image

12.2 bike commuting today and a lunchtime run of 7.6 miles wi 5 @ tempo (7:09/m). A good solid 6 days training (61 bike, 2 pool, 27 run inc 8 quality) and so looking forward to my rest day tomorrow. 15 @ MP planned for Sunday.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Good session, WJH. I did the same today. My schedule wanted 8x800 however a mix of-

1. Tired legs from some big sessions in the previous days.

2. One eye on Sunday.

3. An over indulgence on beer and curry last night and my only available slot to run being 10-11.30.

I reduced it down to 6 x 800 with just over 2 mins recovery and downscaled the pace from target of 2.48 to 2.53. That all worked fine. Then followed it up with a sports massage this pm.

WP-glad the knee is improving.

Andrew, I don't think I could ever be a morning runner. I tried doing 4 at mp at 9am a while back and even that was a disaster!

Dr Dan- I assume you will be targeting pbs in those races?

• Options
    ioweriower ✭✭✭
    Hi all, long time no see! Been on the long road to regaining fitness and running form over the last year or so. Picked up a couple of persistent niggles, struggled with illness, and got fat. Motivation plummeted as a result and positively slacked off for quite a while. Nevertheless I'm back on it, 8kg lost since the new year, picked up some decent fitness again (still a long way off where I was a couple of years ago) and on my way to where I want to be, hope to post a bit more regularly on here again as I found it helped.

Some great training going on and good performances at races. My other half won me a place in the Cardiff half so hastily added a few 8 mile runs to my schedule (was aiming for eastleigh 10k in the run up to my half iron man in May) so wasn't as well prepared as i'd have liked but managed to get round in 1:39. Really struggled after the storm hit - never run in rain like it! - think the legs got too cold and switched off as my heart rate actually dropped from 10 miles onwards. Finished the race freezing and almost took one of the st.John's ambulance wheelchairs. Managed to find my supporters and stick all my clothes back on and felt a bit better after that.

Been making some progress with the running club though - some of you may remember I was organising our inaugural race with a bunch of other club mates which went off without a hitch and the route was well received. In the planning stages for this years one now. Also added another training night to our schedule in the shape of a 'proper' training session - I held the first one at the local running track on Tuesday which went down well. Myself and another club mate are looking to become uka coaches to give some direction to interested runners and some credibility to the training nights.

Got a local club triathlon tomorrow so currently lazing in bed as I write this! Going to go for a spin with the Mrs in a mo, pre-race carb load and isotonic beverage on the waterfront may be in order!
  • Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Welcome back iower! Sounds like you're due for a good year!

DT - no, I don't think i'll be in PB shape for a while yet. Perhaps by the 5K as it will be the fastest course i've run on to date, so that will compensate. But I was fitter and younger in 2010 & 2011 when i set all my PBs... but give me 6 months training and another 7lb weightloss and things may be different!image
  • Options

Dr Dan: I love the photo your face says it allimage last year it was very hot and the trees gave some shelterimage I have run it twice and twice missed the cameraimage

Another 6 for me so 38 miles for the week and 20 miles walkedimage weight loss: zero but I lost 3 last week so must not be greedy.

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Just home from the St Clare Hospice 10k which takes place on some nice country roads outside Harlow in Essex.

Slightly downhill start followed by a fairly long uphill section and then flattens out. Started quicker than intended but felt good so kept ticking along at somewhere around 7:30 pace. Went through 5k in about 22:30. Last mile is almost all uphill which lost some time, but I think I had been slowing a bit anyway, as I crossed the line in 46:04 watch time and 46:06 gun time (no chip timing here) so second half was a minute or so slower than the first.

So, a minute slower than last autumn's pb, but actually a fair bit quicker than I'd expected, so overall I'm quite happy. Good, well marshalled race on a decent course - would recommend it!

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Well done, Andrew. It was a lovely day in Birmingham for a race. I wasn't expecting much from my 10k given since and inc last Sunday I run 50 miles and done 3 spin classes so pleased to post 39.30 on watch, a mere 4 seconds off a pb.

I've raced 5k, 5 mile. And 10k this year and missed PBS in all of them cumulatively by 13 secs.
  • Options
    ioweriower ✭✭✭

Club tri today. Really didn't feel like it, think the couple of days off did me more harm than good if i'm honest. Still got it done, 5th overall, kept the swim easy, bike was hard with strong wind, rubbish roads and hills, had the fastest transitions of the day though and managed a decent run. 4.2 miles covered in 6:51 / 6:35 / 6:37 / 7:48 with the 0.2 averaging 5:59. First mile was hilly, mostly downhill, middle two flat, last one was hilly, mostly uphill. Felt good!

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Well done on the tri iower ... I really need to get my act together for June's triathlon!!image

Good 10K DT & Andrew ... some frustrating near misses there DT but clearly you're in good shape.

An excess of Guinness and a very late night on Saturday put pay to Sunday's planned 15 miles at MP image. I just did an easy 6.6 mile today after the bike commute, and will try to catch up on the missed long run during the week.

• Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

DT - once the accumulated fatigue of marathon training is out of the way you must be on course to smash all of those pbs on fresher legs over the summer?

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Oh dear, Dr Dan....long old day yesterday then!

Well done on the triathlon stuff, Iower.

Yes Andrew id expect to beat them all. I'm happy with them in the circumstances along with my 2 half times this year. The 5 miler was in atrocious conditions, the 5k I wasn't prepared to quite suffer enough and yesterday I was just a bit tired. Its a shame with hindsight as yesterday I think I could have squeezed it out if id began winding it up 100m earlier.

I'm parkrunning Saturday and off a quieter week, hope to creep under pb time.