Wednesday 11th July 2012

alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Hey! Whoa-oh-ooh-oo-whoaaoh-oh-ooo-ooo-oohh
Let me hear you say it!

Morning! Hope Wabo gets the lyrics!

Cricket was good in spite of the man flu and the weather: well wrappped up which was a good thing as it was only 12 degrees for much of the time!

What: work and then Queen of Pain
Why: the latter seems to be what the calf needs. There is some improvement on that score (not enough though!) as it isn't waking me up...although after this evening's pain infliction that will change!

Re lyrics, I used to teach the youngest of these!

Back later

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.

Comments

• Mornng ale

Morning you lot

Yesterdays lyrics: Maroon 5 and 'She will be loved'. Younger sons listems to thi son alot.

What:4M and no zip

Bit of a plod.

Dry and cool

Enjoyed 'Born to run' on bbc 4 last night. very informative and will watch itagain

Back later

• Morning.

More rain. I have the day off tomorrow and the forecast is dry - but I don't know if I can find anywhere other than very small loops to ride.

Alex - have you looked at Almere in Holland? Center Parcs De Eemhof is very close for a family base/holiday.

No wetsuit Blisters? Utter madness.

7d - sounds like an acheiveable goal with a long term view and a good plan.

Is that one more sleep Wabo?

Alehouse - it was cold yesterday wasn't it?

What:               swim session
    Why:                it's Wednesday
    Last hard:         not getting despondent about the weather
    Last rest:          11/6

Lyrics - not what I thought it was reading the clue.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭

morning all
    aleH - dont mind cricket weather if the result is right! However I reckon more hot coffee than cold beer .....not fair
    what - something easy
    why - did club session last night 6x800m loops incorporating steady uphill/downhill (on grass). Wore trail shoes and nearly went over 3 times. Felt sorry for those in road shoes.
    Loop we use is usually a dust bowl in "summer"
    Struggled a bit - hips /ITBS/glutes all stiff /sore from Monday
    lyric - hmmmmmm

good to see comments re ultras, would start with something like a 50k. I do hope to do comrades one year but realistically it wont be until the girls don't holiday with us, even then will have to convince the wife that a week or so in SA is a good idea....  

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Dustin  a week in SA is definitely a good idea (as l;ong as you make it down to Cape Town at some point - not that I'm biased or anything!).  My friend's mum has done Comrades about 10 times and she enjoys it.  Good athletics by the way

Ale glad you got some cricket in.

Wabo  soooo close now!

What: possible yoga, possibly a swim

Why: been told to only do yoga if no pain.  After fizz of pain on Monday there is some aching so a gentle swim may be better for me (I'm allowed to do that!).

Last hard: fizz

Last rest: forver, well feels like it!

Have a good day all.

• Glad there was some cricket for you Alehouse, good result too. I think I know the lyrics too.

in a pre-HM taper so I went for a jog this morning, 4k super slow and 1k at absolute full gun uphill and into the wind. Don't know why, just felt like it.

Re: Ultra - it would be really important to me to build to something like that incrementally - marathon, 50k, 40 miles, learning how to acclimatise, running with food supplies and learning a lot more about nutrition. I wouldn't consider my pride dented if I couldn't do it - it's not for everyone! It seems like a manageable long-term project on the whole. Let's see if I'm talking the same after my first regular-length marathon!

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

ooh oh ooo no alehouse I have let you down! I will havt to google...

I am ever so excited!!!!!!!!!

emzap whatever you do hope its good!

dustin know what you mean about grass, I squelched and almost slipped sideways this morning!

what 5 miles - in the sun!! this morning

why: squeezing it in where I can

last hard: this morning I guess

last easy: yesterday

have a good day all

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Quick check in from my mountain in Spain. Sunny 27C, lovely jubbly

Dustin: Comrades is THE worlds greatest foot race and SA is a fantastic country. Go do it.

Swam for a hour this morning.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Excited for you, wabo image - enjoy that precious family time. How long are they going to stay?

Lots of IM talk going on here lately image. Rather you than me, guys. I do fancy an ultra at some point though ... Comrades for my 50th birthday would be nice (that's 6 years to get ultra fit image).

Thanks LMH for your swimming advice the other day. I guess it's going to be lessons at some point in the future. That self-coaching stuff just doesn't work. For now I'm happy to splash around in the lake on hot days.

Blisters wrote (see)

... Anyway, after the hour I looked down and I'd got tits.

PML here, Blisters. You are hilarious image

What: 11 and a bit miles
    Why: medium long weekly run
    Last hard: motivating myself to get out of bed!
    Last rest: Monday
    Lyrics: not really, no

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Chicka  random question but do you know anything about setting up as a freelancer in Germany?  Job possibility but need to be a freelancer (or self-employed, can't work out the difference) to be considered for it.

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

emzap: oh dear, that will be complicated, like everything in Germany! Because once you are self-employed ("selbständig") you have to register with the authorities ("Gewerbeanmeldung" -- a bit like Companies House but for individuals) and then comes the German tax man who wants an advance on your earnings and next in line (before you even earned a penny) will be Medical Insurance. Because if you are self-employed you can't go on the German NHS. You will have to find yourself an insurer and they want to see some dough...

Feel free to PM me so we can take the chat offline. Else we'll bore the pants off everyone image.

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Thanks Chicka

Seriously have the cba vibe today.  Does anyone else get that when they can't run, they just don't feel like doing anything but running?  Think I'll give up on the swim for some core exercises from the fizz for my hip.  Fingers crossed I can run soon, it's driving me insane image

DD  What's happening in Spain?

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Lyrics sound I like know them....

Found the ground tonight... it hurts and draws blood from the hand and knee..... savlon also hurts when applied....

300m into club run and over I went...., finside off with a nice 10.5m run in the wind rain, sun rainbows, mud and tears......

not fussed as offered a new job today.... image which If I take will be being home 95% of the time in stead of 95% away...

Take care

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Sounds good, RFJ! And I don't mean finding the ground!

Queen of Pain tonight, although she was reasonably gentle. She again feels progress is being made but pointed out how much weaker the left calf remains compared to the right. Hope to be able to do some sort of run tomorrow evening of the 6-8 x 100m very very slow variety.

Guess you are down to counting the hours, not days, Wabo! Hope the sunshine turns up. After a very wet morning we have had quite a pleasant sunny afternoon and evening, reaching hte dizzy heights of 17.5.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Evening all
    What 10 commute
    Why feeling virtuous
    Lyrics can hear it in my head but can't remember who or what

Starting to get acclimatised to these mid week long runs so things must be improving. Am starting to seriously think about the odd tempo session next month.

Gobi tried to sell me the idea of comrades when I first met him. However the training time and the finances are probably beyond me for a while.