2013 IM Mentoring

Comments

• Jaffa_ wrote (see)

I'm happy to mentor anyone who is willing to take advice from a brick like swimmer!
    as I've mentored runners previously,  incl a group of novice runners to Marathon success last year.

4 IM completions nearer the back of the pack (13h - 15h range),  but I've personally learnt something from each one.  Am based in Sussex / Surrey so someone Southern based would work out better for me...........30 day free trial with full refund if not satisfiedimage

Be warned though, your running style may alter sufficiently to take my title away from me! image

(not that I actually *do* mince!!!)

• Gladys, I fear the Mincing Award will be forever yours. No one can compete. No one can come close image
  • mellifera wrote (see)
    I want to like your post bedders!

Melli, I sent you a message on twitter, but don't know if you got it. Would you be interested in mentoring me? image

Advert
    Ummm... I'm 24, no major family commitments just work to wrangle with. Would like to go faster and could benefit from more structure to my training. Thinking about splashing out on TrainingPeaks and a few gadgets to log what I'm doing better. Definitely want to take a good chunk off my time next year - thinking IMCH.

• Whilst on the thread, I think I might just approach someone soon to help me, so be afraid (and turn off your PM functions!)....

but also more than happy to mentor someone? I did the usual pirate thing of coming from no swim bike run background but did a half one year, then IM Regensburg last year in 12.49.

Very up to speed with the family pressure on training thing! (2 kids, wife not into the whole scene, thinks its all a bit mad etc)
  • aren't you beyond help Gladys?

• Ironholgs wrote (see)

aren't you beyond help Gladys?

Well you certainly were on the Outlaw run Holgs!! image

• Gladys M. wrote (see)
    Ironholgs wrote (see)

On the look out for a mincing Mentee  image

• Gladys M. wrote (see)
    Ironholgs wrote (see)

Can't argue with that mate, couldn't even manage a mince.

• SlowE - no I didn't get it! I think I'm already full but could still you some general ideas. Main thing is that what you are is basically working, you just need to give it more time. Try contacting me on FB?
  • SlowEngineer.....
    did 11:36 then 10:54 in my first year being self coached.
    then 10:37 last year and was aiming at 10 - 10:15 this year till I broke.
    I'm getting coached at the moment as well, so may have some tips / advice to pass on on approach, structure etc etc.

Im also in london if that helps...?image

Alternatively Doozer also offered his services last year, and CD I think offered himself up as well above......

• I think there are a few people who have offered and have not been taken up ... lost in the pages !!

• H0NKH0NK ✭✭✭
    Princess Leah wrote (see)

With swimming I’ve had 2 lessons now (three to go) and done one OW session. Most of what I read is that people should get lessons, get their technique sorted and it will all work out. That actually depressed me as my instructor said my technique is quite good – if my technique is good, yet all the breaststrokers still overtake me what scope is there from improvement?

Leah, I had similar problem with swimming lessons, I booked a 6 week improvers course at the local leisure centre and the first lesson really helped me, however after that the instructor had nothing to add other than to say my technique looked good. so i spent the remaining lessons just practicing with no further instructions. (apart from instructions I preffered to ignore from my research on the swimsmooth and Total immersion websites) 

I think the problem was the instructor was used to teaching complete beginners to swim but could not do the more technical breakdown that I needed in order to improve. I did however get to the stage where i was confident enough to swim with the local triathlon club and the instruction I'm getting there is really starting to make a difference.

• Leah I am in the same boat as you.  Perseverance helps loads.  But in order to swim quicker you have to swim quicker.  I improved from 45 min 1500 to 32min with a decent structured swim programme.

• rio.....  where did you get the program...??

• H0NKH0NK ✭✭✭

I'm happy with my running and confident that my swimming will be up to scratch by the time i'm ready to do an ironman in 2013, where I am lacking is in the cycling department, I know nothing about road bikes and not sure where to begin with getting one suitable on a budget. In the mean time I'm starting to build up time on my mountain bike.

Any mentors willing to help us out with sourcing / sizing of a road bike and cycle training?, and if they were based in the Beds / Herts / Bucks area then that would be even better.

• KK it would be great to meet up for a rise in the spring i may be able to tempt some more of the cornish clan out as well i also come up to bristol for work quite a bit so am usually up for runs cycles etc in the evening

To return the favour once you get your training group up and going if you want to all whip down to Cornwall for a day out we have some awesome sea swim/ bike and coastal run routes
  • H0NK wrote (see)
    I think the problem was the instructor was used to teaching complete beginners to swim but could not do the more technical breakdown that I needed in order to improve. I did however get to the stage where i was confident enough to swim with the local triathlon club and the instruction I'm getting there is really starting to make a difference.

I've had that experience myself - got a refund! There's a masters club where I live, but reckon its OW swimming I want coaching in. I can really feel a difference in my position when I'm in my wettie. Made an enquiry with local tri club ... so I'm sure that'll help

• O.rangeCannon I came, I saw, I knitted wrote (see)

SlowEngineer.....
    did 11:36 then 10:54 in my first year being self coached.
    then 10:37 last year and was aiming at 10 - 10:15 this year till I broke.
    I'm getting coached at the moment as well, so may have some tips / advice to pass on on approach, structure etc etc.

Im also in london if that helps...?image

Alternatively Doozer also offered his services last year, and CD I think offered himself up as well above......

Sounds great. I'll PM you. image

• Think i might be in need of help for next year. Will be taking on bolton in 2 weeks time. This will be my 2nd attempt at IM. My 1st ended in disappointment in frankfurt last year when i was pulled from the course after missing one of the bike cut offs. I'm alot better prepared this time round but feel i need some help getting to the next level. My main concerns are the swim and also the fact that i'm carrying more timber than i would like. Hopefully will be taking on the outlaw next year.  Have to fit my training in round a young family and a job without regular hours.

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭

to my 2 mentees - sorry that I haven't got back to you yet - been off e-mail over the weekend but I've dropped a short note to you now

• Morning all and I hope I'm not too late to this party.

I would like to find a running focused mentor. I will try and explain.....

I have done Outlaw and have loved every part of the journey and outcome. Running is my weak spot and I want to fix this before going long again. (Outlaw splits - 1.04 - 7.00 - 5.41)

In the short term I want to do a respectable 10k time (sub 50), then break 2 hours for HM and maybe a spring marathon.

Thanks

• Okay I'm a bit late to the party (yes okay before you start just like I was on Sunday) but have done this kind of thing informally in the past and I think it's gone okay (the mentees might disagree).  So if anyone is still on the look out then I'm happy to help. 

I don't really do science or platitudes but you don't need either to perform well at something where output is so closely aligned to (your) input.

As you wish.

• Rosey - Sorry I've been so busy at work... will reply soon image

• PMSL - I'm fuller than the winner of the 2012 Choco Dog-nut eating competition. I mean unlike dog-nuts more than two dozen mentees would be greedy right ;o)

I guess flying a bit under the radar these days people obviously don't know me that well anymore. The words smoke, blowing and @rse have never been uttered by me in the same sentence. You have been warned...albeit a bit too late.

As you'll wish you probably hadn't.
  • I'm late to this party too, and haven't really got much to offer. I know I won't have time to mentor anyone next year, but as always am happy to answer emails, pms etc. That said, there are far better athletes on every level here than me, so I offer my advices with humble disclaimers.