Aldi Winter Cycling Gear

Thursday 27.09.12, Aldi have their wiinter cycling gear in,

Comments

• Also they have their trisuits in on Thursday, bit late in the season but I'll be getting 2 as great for training

• yes noticed them too £15.00 bargain

• The tri suits are great value for training in. Worth investing now for next yr.
  • Was wondering when their stuff would come up as I need a few bits!  Thanks for the heads up Tired Badger image

• D0MD0M ✭✭✭

Bit dubious, but there range looks ok for training gear.  It doesn`t look like you can order online though.

• hi there, is this stuff worth getting to start out with, only just getting into the whole triathlon scene, and i'm looking to spend as little as possible but at the same time i dont want it to fall apart after one usage!!!

• I still have some of their cycling shorts that I got 3 yrs ago and still going strong.
  • I was going to go and buy a cycle jacket but got sidetracked by the diced chicken offer image
  • got to be worth a go at those prices, ive got a few running bits and pieces and it been fine...tri-suit has to be worth getting even if it only lasts a season.....also, try the frozen haddock.

• Asha1980 wrote (see)

hi there, is this stuff worth getting to start out with, only just getting into the whole triathlon scene, and i'm looking to spend as little as possible but at the same time i dont want it to fall apart after one usage!!!

I have some of their previous stuff. Is it as good as the top of the range gear I've got. No it isn't. But it does work and is very functional training/commuting kit. It will last more than one use. In fact I've got some stuff 2-3 years old that has now had enough,

Definitley worth the money

• compression socks are good 
    running shorts are ok for training - the tight ones dont actually offer support though
    the compression tops suck imo - theres no compression or i got the wrong size, maybe if they did an X small they would compress but then the seems would split image 

• I train and race in kit from either Aldi or Lidls, had it a couple of years and there's nothing wrong with any of it image   Personally, I don't have the money to buy fancy kit just to race in and if it does me for taining I see no reason why it shouldn't do me for racing!!

• I think its a bit of what you get used to. I like some solid compression so my guts don't flop about, but any way you shouldn't be racing in anything apart from yellow and blackimage
  • For a slightly cash-strapped student, this stuff is a gift that keeps giving. Shotgun a small tri-suit and arm-warmers at Quedgeley!
    Steer away from the cycling gloves though - have had 2 pairs, neither lasted a season.

• Back from my Aldi haul, joined the masses (30 people! (yes I counted image)) queueing to get in. 

Got:

High Viz jacket.  I still use the one I bought 2 years ago that gets worn at least 3/4 times a week and is still going strong but is now looking less high viz and more grubby.  New jacket seems as good but doesn't have the pocket at the front.

High Viz long sleeve top.  Thin but soft, absolute bargain for a tenner.

Gloves, last years gloves still going strong.

Socks, always good.

Waterproof troos, I've never used them for cycling so not sure what they'll be like.  But they'll be fab for walking, feel good quality, and nice and long,

Flashy lights, the LED ones, bargain at £2.99, you're not going to miss someone with one of them flashing.

Total £50 image

• I might have to have a look - I got some Aldi/Lidl stuff years ago and never got on with it - some of it was just tat - the overshoes zips broke after about 1 wear - some just a poor fit or lycra shorts that were too thin for anything but undershorts.   The only thing I really liked were some thin mesh backed track mitts with leather palms but they don't seem to do those now.

Looking at it now on the internet it does look like it's improved though.

• Just got a call from Mr TST who was in the store near us - he got me the last two pairs of socks in my size and had to hunt around to find overshoes in my size but eventually found a pair. image  Looks like the tops and stuff in our store hang around for a while, but socks are in big demand!

popsider wrote (see)

I might have to have a look - I got some Aldi/Lidl stuff years ago and never got on with it - some of it was just tat - the overshoes zips broke after about 1 wear  

You should have taken them back popsider, they have no quibbles about refunding stuff if there is a fault with it.  image

• They'd run out of overshoes in all but small sizes when I got there - did pick up a hi viz jacket, a hi viz top, a red top, armwarmers, gloves, and a trisuit though.

Good job I saved so much money cos I'm skint at the mo... image

• It was like OAP's at a jumble sale when I went in at 9:30
  • Hey guys I'm a fairly new runner, and didn't know aldi did this sort of thing! Does anyone know if (and when) they do running gear?

Also I notice from the website they've got some compression stuff is it ok for running or is it specific to cycling?

Thanks
  • Aldi and Lidl both do running and cycling gear, generally there is a spring batch and an autumn batch of each but I don't think there are specific dates each year, you just have to keep an eye out for it coming up then get down there quick!  Can't help with compression stuff though as I don't use it.

• Got a cycle jacket, overshoes, socks,compression top and gloves-all feel toastie, though yet to be tested. Jacket was only £8.99!! Bargain- cost about £30.00 the lot. Kg you could use the cycle jacket to run in, it's not bulky but is warm.   

• Hi I got a tri suit and compression top & bottoms! As well as a heart rate monitor & watch.

However its all going back the tri suit has too much padding around the saddle area for me and the compression stuff is warm and snug but not sure I'd run in it (I prefer the skins & 2xu type). Unfortunately the heart rate monitor doesn't link with my nike gps watch either, so all in all a bit disappointed image. However I would say its all very cheap and decent quality but its definitely more for cycling than running long distances! I've got a number of cycling jackets already and you'er right Red Dog they do very well for running just don't need one at the moment.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for the running stuff when it comes!

HAVE FUN!

• Picked myself up a tri-suit (I look like a stuffed sausage, but that isn't the fault of teh tri-suit), a cycling shirt and winter gloves. All decent quality, and a snip at £35 or so (plus some fish fingers and frozen peas, which also look good quality!). 

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭

I managed to get micro bike lights and some celery image

• STB, you Stratfording next week with Cakemeister?

Aldi, home of Nasi Goreng and Bami Goreng. The best thing ever to come out of a microwave. 

Their running socks are ace.

• Same store as Pethead (after I'd tried Lidl), got me a rain jacket and a windproof red top. No overshoes though unless you had size 4/5 or 6/7 feet. Loads of bike stands left. No man legs.

Cheaper than an official Pirate jacket; don't tell Schmunks.