bike cassettes

2»

Comments

• Welsh dragon is red, thass why. And everyone and his dog has an all black bike.

• but an all balck bike with a red fork.....seems a bit stupid to meimage

• sounds pretty good to me - I have a mainly red bike, with a black fork.  still think it looks good even though it's 6 years old

• AndyB99 wrote (see)

you're missing the point here....12-32 is only the rear cassette....if you go for 12-32 is make no difference to going up hills.....it just means you run out of really fast (downhill) quicker.

IMO 11-32 give you a better option at the other side of the scale...and with a compact (50 big ring on the chainset) the 11 WILL be required.

I've been road racing all year on 50*12 as a biggest gear and I would go for a 50/36 compact all year now from choice because it covers pretty much everything for me from racing to Alpine climbs.    There are some situations where some people will spin out a 50*12 but with respect to Seren she isn't ever going to - you can certainly pedal up to 40mph on it.        

• The amount of times I have pedalled out on a 50/11 is maybe 3, yet 34/27 or 28 are great friends of mine. 50/11 was about 43mph I think? Nothing wrong with a huge cog on the back.

Coach Bassos wouldn't let me have a triple.

• popsider wrote (see)

Agree that a 12 would be plenty - if you would ever use the 32 you don't need the 11 - do they make a 12-32 too though ?

I went onto the SRAM site. It seems to suggest that it is available in this combination.

AndyB99 wrote (see)

you're missing the point here....12-32 is only the rear cassette....if you go for 12-32 is make no difference to going up hills.....it just means you run out of really fast (downhill) quicker.

IMO 11-32 give you a better option at the other side of the scale...and with a compact (50 big ring on the chainset) the 11 WILL be required.

Andy assuming that Seren is riding 700*23 tyres on her bike a gear of 50*11 is approx 119.5inch gear. That is a massive gear to push around for any length of time even for the stronger people. No disrespect to Seren ( and by her own admittance ) she isn't an overall speed merchant but has great strength of mind and perseverance to continue but gears that high will only be used so infrequently that it almost becomes redundant. By getting rid of the 11 sprocket and replacing it with a 14 she will have a more even spread of gear choices through the sprockets when riding the 50 tooth chainring. Take a look below

With a 50 tooth chainring the following gear ratios are available for the 2 different cassettes ( 11-32 and 12-32 ). Gear ratios in inches are given. This is measured by putting your bike into the desired gear and pointing one of the down straight in a vertical plain. By pushing the bike backwards by one complete revolution of the crank and measuring this distance gives the gear ratio in inches. There are other ways of measuring but this is relatively straight forward to do and understand

11     119.5               12     109.5

12     109.5               13     101.1

13     101.1               14     93.9

15     87.6                 15     87.6

17     77.3                 17     77.3

Obviously the rest follow on from there the same. I only suggested this as it is a big jump between the 13 and 15 sprocket in the gearing and I don't really see any benefit from having the 11. If you have the power in your legs to get it turning then big speeds are available with the 12. I have run a 13-25 for a long time on a 53/39 set up giving me a top gear of 107.1, a figure lower than Seren is looking at and giving it the licks at the start of a descent can easily get towards 45mph and more. Yes your legs spin out well before that as they would do with a an 11, its all about the initial attack at the start of the downhill.