Birmingham Triathlon... Anyone on here do it last year.

This would be the first time I have gone to Olympic Distance and open water...

Lake slightly worries me...  are there lots of weeds and scary fish?  Mass start horrendous?

Bike - 8 times round the same route? Is it a nice route - flat and fast - looked like a nasty slow corner.

Same for the run?

Just don't want to fork out my cash on a dud race.  Thanks for your help.

BWT

Comments

• Hiya

I've signed up too and ridden the bike course...its pretty flat with a nice fast downhill section...should be good fun on the day!

OW virgin here too....it should be okay..wetsuit on head up and get on with it!

The run is my downfall image

• Me too, it will be my first olympic distance and first open water swim, got my first wet suit at the weekend and will be doing my first ow swim sesh this week, with all these firsts I'm expecting to finish the Birmingham tri first ! (one can dream) image

• GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭

My only concernwith the bike route is that the park is usually full of people walking dogs, kids with scooters and bikes etc. I find it ok cycling through slowly with my wife and 8 year old, but I'm not sure I'd want to be pushing hard. Not sure I'd describe it as flat, out of T1 you'll climb up to the top of three stage hill, hardly Hard Knott Pass but a few hundred metres long, a smooth fast section that drops down and rises up to Jamboree stone.

The turn at Jamboree stone is tight, drop down this hill and some okish tarmac, and then for me the section between Keeper's Pool and the Visitor Centre, through what we call double dip, is not somewhere you'd want to be pushing hard on lightweight race wheels. It is fairly badly broken up or damaged tarmac with a couple of speed humps. From there through the chicane and it's a short smooth drop to Wyndley gate before climbing slightly back to the bottom of the hill at the start of the lap

The run course is undulating, you'll climb up an off road hill to near the top of the first hill on the bike course, left down the tarmac hill and then back along an undulating trail.

• GraemeK wrote (see)

My only concernwith the bike route is that the park is usually full of people walking dogs, kids with scooters and bikes etc. I find it ok cycling through slowly with my wife and 8 year old, but I'm not sure I'd want to be pushing hard. 

Surely they would section it off for the race. If nothing else it would be far too dangerous for people to walk on when there is a race ongoing? 

This is going to be my first olympic distance too so it should be exciting. I'm doing the Bosworth sprint tri in a couple of weeks which is open water, so at least I'll have had a go at open water in race conditions prior to the olympic distance

• GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭

Be very surprised if it is closed off, too many paths and open sections lead on to the route. Might close the hill from T1 to top 3 stage hill to cars.