Fatman to Ironman

Comments

• Hi everyone - pretty impressive progress people are making here!

I'm doing my first tri Jul 14th in Ripon. It's Oly distance, but I'm definitely thinking IM in a couple of years (want to do Comrades ultra as well, but that's for another forum!)

can I join in with a question?

I have 6 weeks til my tri, and whilst I stuck religiously to my training plan for my first marathon I've just been fannying about this time.

I started practising FC three weeks ago and can do a mile in the pool now. I'm starting swimming lessons next week and am doing my 2nd OW swim tomorrow.

I've upgraded my bike and did a 40k ride this week with a 1.5 mile run straight after, which was fine.

So my point is - I've done the distance for all 3 disciplines and feel confident I'll finish, but what should I do now? Find a last minute plan? Or Is it ok just carry on sticking random training sessions in here and there as I find the time?

I've read about the fink enthusiasts and although I do have a heart monitor I'm not quite ready for that type of training.

Does anyone just 'wing' the training?
  • Welcome BR

Sounds like you've got it nailed to me. Just go & enjoy the day.

I've pretty much winged it to date. I just slowly increased distances in each discipline. Now using a Finkish plan for the Half in August.

Bet you could quite easily do IMUK next year. Come join us image
  • I am sorely tempted, believe me, but it was tricky enough fitting in a long run every weekend for my marathon when I should've been doing kid/family stuff. I'm doing another marathon in Oct - I managed to add miles either side of Parkrun, slip it in that way, before brekkie.

I think if I suggested doing 5-6 hour cycle rides as well there'd be raised eyebrows for sure!

Thanks for the vote of confidence, though - I'm glad there is at least one other 'winger' out there!
  • I know it'll be on a post somewhere, SD, but where is your half IM?
  • http://monsterracing.net/triathlon2012.html

Off the top of my head there isnt a great deal of 5-6 hour bike rides in the Fink plan. I was quite surprised about the training plan.

Training plans didnt seem like enough to me considering the size of the challenge, but then i havent got a clue.
  • Hi Britrisky, and welcome

My first tri is in July too.  I've read Fink, and that's what I'll be using for my IM next year.  For next month, I know I can do all the individual components and I'm going to spend the next 6 weeks carrying on at those distances and doing some brick sessions. I'm not bothered about racing on the day, I just want to go and enjoy the event and get a feel for what tri is all about.

There were many protests from me about not having the time to commit to IM training, but they (naming no names, you know who you are) got to me in the end. When a friend suggested IM in 2013 for her 40th, I was powerless to resist! I'll be doing Fink's "just finish", which I know I have the time for.  I'm lucky in that I work part-time evenings so I have training time during the day.  I know lots of others don't have that luxury.

• SausageDog wrote (see)
    Forgot to say, the sensual lube worked a treat on the wetsuit. I probably smelt like a hooker mind

A squat bloke with no neck?

• So, who is doing IMUK 2013? And... when is entry open for it?

• Hi TiTP

So far I think we have

Probably me, but does depend on which weekend suits Partner in Crime.  Might be Outlaw.
    Gastank
    SausageDog
    SilverTrucker
    (Raf is just showing off, and going to Lanza)

Have I missed anyone, chaps? 

Apparently entry will open shortly after this year's event.

Does this mean you'll be joining us? 

• Nurse. You need to add Britrisky,Spoons & Lewis to the list image

30 min bike /15 min run brick done today. Glad thats my last run till Monday, bloody shins are rather sore. 3 runs in 4 days is the most ive ever done.

I'll be signing up for IMUK straight away, finances permitting.
  • hang on a minute SD....... image

• Britrisky - I've been winging it so far and have my first OD next weekend - so we'll see how that goes!

Which marafun are you doing in Oct?

Too late Spoons, you seem to be in!!

• Nurse Ratched wrote (see)

Yes me image

• Sorry BBT. How rude

IMUK 2013 participants

Gastank

SausageDog

BrokeButTri'ng

Nurse Ratched

SilverTrucker

Spoons

Britrisky

Lewis
  • I wonder if Lewis knows about this.  He's alive but been rather scarce in cyberspace...

• To be honest, he should know by now if he's not here to defend himself, he's going to get volunteered for things........image

• Hi All,

Did my first short distance Tri last september (coz I wanted to do one before I hit 40!). Took up running only so that I could do my tri, and really struggle with it. I'm a couple of stone overweight so don't know if the 'feeling that it shouldn't be this hard' is coz i'm overweight or if running feels like hell to everyone??????? Maybe it's just my mental attitude to it?

Can anybody shed theirlight or pearls of wisdom in the situation and give me some hope image.

Thanks

A x

• Yes sir! I follow City on Facebook and such.  Now I'm off for a 3000 meter swim and an interval run on the dreadmill.  I believe I have an IM in 13 weeks or something image

• If it feels like hell then you are most certainly going too fast.

Slow down to a conversational pace which will be about right and take a regular walk break if you need to

• Hi Tri-harder!

Congrats on your first tri...any more planned??

And yes, if you're running at race pace it is hard! But you should train a little slower - a rule of thumb is that you  should be able to have a chat while running (although if you train by yourself you may get strange looks running around in lycra chatting to yourself!!). If you do this a couple of times a week, you should notice it will get easier. But if you are a little overweight, things will be slightly harder to start with - just keep at it!! image

• Welcome Tri harder.

My shins suffer big time with the running. Definitely got better since ive shred weight though. I was over 16 stone in January, now down to 14.

Other things that have helped me was getting a new pair of trainers. I was running in a 6 year old pair. I stretch properly after a run, i've been running cold water over my shins in the shower for a good 5 mins as well, i wear compression socks for a couple of hours a day.

Did you want to add your name to the IMUK 2013 list?
  • M...eldy wrote (see)

If it feels like hell then you are most certainly going too fast.

A contender for quote of the week there M..eldy image

• BrokeButTri'ng wrote (see)
    Nurse Ratched wrote (see)

Yes me image

SORRY BBT!

Hi TriHarder, and welcome.
    I'd agree with what everyone else said about running.  Slow down, walk for a bit if you want/need to (eg. walk to the next lamp post/tree/junction, then start running again). When I started running I was dead on my feet after 10 minutes.  
    Keep at it.  It will get easier.  And no one will be harder on you than you are on yourself, so don't stress about it. 

• HI Tri-harder

Gratz on your first tri.

I find that running does get easier the more you get used to it and the more weight you lose. If it does feel really uncomfortable just go a little slower or add in some walking breaks into your runs.

• Just been out for a quick spin on the bike, between walking the wolf and picking the kids up from school.

9 miles.  The confidence re-building is going well. I was going downhill at 30mph at one point and resisted the urge to brake!  Didn't fall off at all. Not once. Not even a tiny wee wobble image

• SD - No 5 hr rides on Fink? Really?! How can you train for 112 miles, then? Fink must be a genius - I'm in (only joking ...image) 2013? ... maybe the half, then ... and not Bolton anyway - too hilly, I'm told!

NR - We're in it together, then. Are you as excited as me? What are you going to wear - do you have a tri suit? Where's your tri? Great effort on the bike! I'm enjoying  my new road bike, but that may change now I've added clipless pedals into the equation!!

Rafi - I'm doing Mablethorpe - its a little sleepy town on the lincolnshire coast - not many runners, but very enthusiastic marshals and a dead flat course, I'm told! Where's your OD?

who's gonna get the pirate icon, then???

• Theres 4 x 5 hour + rides on the competitive plan & 1 x 6 hour.