Fink for outlaw 2013

Comments

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Seren - didn't you do Nice?  With no suncream? 

• Doner Kebab wrote (see)

i wont pay that much for P20, i use kids factor 50 waterproof from boots, it came out top in a test ages ago, 

+1. I find this works a treat image

But then again, I'm only doing the swim leg this year, so I'm looking forward to a long day supporting in the sunshine

• Mouse..no I did IMCH........was sunny but not Nice hot..........apart from that only raced in this country

• seren, I've got IMCH in just over three weeks, what did you think of it?

Anything I need to bear in mind? image

Except the obvious - to remember to swim, ride and run a lot image

• I loved it.the bike ride was amazing..you could see the snow covered mountains in the distance....the sun sparkled off the lake......

my biggest mistake was not looking at the map or route..........so when we came out of the mountains back to lake level i thought i had done the hills...before they sent you right up this long zigzaggedy route back upo anothe mountain..........but it wasn't too bad at all.....

RW did an article on about 7 of us who were doing it for the first time........might be worth you looking at it on the tri home page as it would give different perspectives

• I like the fact that the transition was all by the bike just like a small tri like bala.so no need to pack different bags.just have everything in one place......but that was a few years ago.......and they had hottubs at the finish

• Hottubs?  *scurries off to sign up for IMCH!*

• Sounds fab! especially the hot tubsimage

I'll check out that article, thanks.

We are going over on the ferry and camping in Zurich, so we will have the car. I might try to drive the bike route beforehand, just so that I know what to expect.

Or Mr plodder is taking his bike, and says he may ride one lap of the route, so he can give me some good feedback on the bike course.

The word "mountain" always sounds a bit scary, but in my very limited experience, I have found "mountains" on the bike in europe are longer but nowhere near as steep as the lancashire fells I usually train on!!

I'm really looking forward to it.

Sorry for hijacking Outlaw thread, as you were!!

• mind the time i finished they were probably a bit skanky............and the naked european men in them were not of the faster fitter build  image

• I'm not too worried about getting in close to the cutoff now. The spectator pack is live and the bar's open until 1am! image

• seren nos wrote (see)

mind the time i finished they were probably a bit skanky............and the naked european men in them were not of the faster fitter build  image

*Hurries off to unsign!*

• *slaps EP * Right, listen here.  It is natural to be scared, even a bit terrified, but honestly what is the worst that could happen?  You miss a cut-off or don't finish.  So that would be gutting, but you know there are worse things that could happen.  Zombies could come smash your car windscreen in then proceed to eat you (I may have watched World War Z recently.....).  BUT, the best that could happen is that you finish, and just think how AWESOME that would be.  No zombies for a start!!!!  The fact you've put loads of training in means you've got a much better than 50/50 chance of finishing.  Also, do not underestimate the support you'll get on the way round, it will make MASSES of difference.  You'll meet tons of fab folk, and have a laugh.  Can't ask for more.  So stop worrying, relax, have a drink, so something totally non-tri related, and you'll be fine image

• Hehehehehe, fear not!  Just don't worry.  Think of it as a long training day with valet bike parking, catering, and a chance to have a laugh on the way round.

Or I could set the zombies on you.......image

• You're going to be fine EP. You will do it believe me!!! x

• I'm not so comforting as i won't tell anyone that they will make it........

but I will say that worrying about it now will not make one iota of differrence..........so everyone might as well just pack and relax...do what i am doing and have a beer........image

• Zombies! Zombies! Zombies! image (may have watched Warm Bodies the other weekend) EP you're going to the best you can do on the day not a jot more, not a bit less - like others have said you've done the hard work - now chillax missy!! Looking forward to properly meeting you on Sat/Sun image

• That's the most important part, turning up and going your best. 

If anyone fails to make a cut off or fails to finish then its not great, but they have made it to the day, put in hours and hours of training and will still live to try again. 

Im just looking forward to it. I'm treating it like a long mass training day. 

Looking forward to meeting more piratescheering and being cheered, and the pint at the finish, one way or another. I do want one of those medals though image

• matt.the desire for that medal will hopefully get you through the tough times on the bike and the runimage

• I'm also hoping that having survived tough times in the past will help put things into perspective. 

That and all the pirates cheering us on image

que sera sera and all that

• EP Have faith in all the training you have done go and read the start of this thread when you were struggling to get going and now when a  hours run is just an easy part of a training day, get positive it's just a long day out with catering and support provided , it's a challenge and you are right to be nervous but people with terminal diseases have cracked this (Jane Tomlinson, Blazeman) an old guy towing and pushing his paraplegic grown son does this (Team Hoyt) , people with no legs have done it it Team True Spirit, a bloody 80 year old nun has done loads of em (sister Madonna buder) do a search on YouTube for some of those names watch the vids cry your eyes out and get inspiredimage

If you really want this dig deep get the old upper lip stiiffened, gird your loins ( whatever they are) and go give it your biggest shot 

I have said it before the mental side of IM is huge doubt yourself and you are in for trouble get positive go for it 100% and you will amaze yourselfimage

• ... and even Max has done it    image

• With a carbon fibre bath chair and Zimmer image

• Ooh Seren - that mention of a medal gave me butterflies!

That's been a mantra for me in the pool - when I have counted lengths with letter of the alphabet, M was always for medal ...

collecting cognitive strategies this week, so far, M for medal, dedicate one mile to someone you love on the run, any more, anyone?

I think I'm going to just live for the moment from now on ... just focus on what I need to do in the next 10 minutes, and see where that leads me ... to the finish, hopefully!

• Singing on the bike works for me...Although during the Pirate DIY I had Olly Murs 'Troublemaker' going round and round in my head for the whole 12 laps...think it was the last song I heard on the radio that morning image

• im a numbers freak so i keep looking at my average bike speed and try to stay above it - hey presto = negative split (normally)  image 

• i also do every concievable permutation of splits mentally on the fly and try to guess my ETA - keeps me focused. i think Colourin will be able to confirm that i do more maths in a race than i ever did at school image