Ironman Lanzarote 2013 (3rd weekend in May?)

Comments

• Hokori, many people dont mind, myself included but its fair to allow people to add their own names, some people could be claiming disability allowance and not want the DSS finding out, others not wanting local villians to know theyre house will be empty for x days.

Dont stress, no doubt you put the list up with the best intensions.

• Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)

Hokori, many people dont mind, myself included but its fair to allow people to add their own names, some people could be claiming disability allowance and not want the DSS finding out, others not wanting local villians to know theyre house will be empty for x days.

Dont stress, no doubt you put the list up with the best intensions.

Absolutely image. I just wanted to provide the forum with my naive explanation. The fact that I received no abuse made me certain that while I may have stepped on some toes I did not get a smack back image

• apparently PDC is positively awash with Ironfolk at the moment .. Work colleague just back from a week over there . Swim course is marked out and looked lovely and calm every day.  His comments about the uphills were not quite so reassuring. image 

• Is your mate a habitual liar by any chance?!

• The swims not going to be any worse than Wales 2011 image

• Slagiatt wrote (see)

apparently PDC is positively awash with Ironfolk at the moment .. Work colleague just back from a week over there . Swim course is marked out and looked lovely and calm every day.  His comments about the uphills were not quite so reassuring. image 

Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)

The swims not going to be any worse than Wales 2011 image

Indeed, I just hope you do not mind bottomless pits though as the beach suddenly falls off a ridge within 100m from shore image

• F.oggyF.oggy ✭✭✭

Pingu,

I am travelling alone, happy to share a transfer, I have nothing booked or orgainised, I was just going to grab a taxi but sharing sounds the best option.

Let me know if you manage to organise.

• No Mrs foggy? Thats 3 people and 3 bikes then by my reckonning unless Pingu has a travelling companion!

• F.oggyF.oggy ✭✭✭

No. Mrs Foggy very busy at this time of year so cant get away, so I am unsupervised.

• Today's question is: where will I find the key(s) to my bike box?

and for the smart alecs (Meldy/Foggy), their help of "the last place you look" won't be needed!

• Although probably of little interest, I shall be using a 11-28 cassette for Lanza.  I will be on a 53/39 chainrings (i.e., not a compact).  There's plenty of uphill grinding to be had on the course so I expect to make plenty of use to the 28 on the back.  There's also plenty of downhill/flat with tailwinds so I expect to use the 11 as well.

• F.oggyF.oggy ✭✭✭
    Cupcake. wrote (see)

Today's question is: where will I find the key(s) to my bike box?

and for the smart alecs (Meldy/Foggy), their help of "the last place you look" won't be needed!

And the answer is Birmingham.

• Why would I have taken it 15 miles from where I live? image

• F.oggyF.oggy ✭✭✭

Is that tomorrows question?

Pedantically yours    F.oggy

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Presuming the bike box is currently unlocked, my vote would be somewhere inside. 

• M...eldy wrote (see)

Is your mate a habitual liar by any chance?!

Alas no .. 

• So the good news is that I can still get the wet suit on ... The not so good that it may have to stay on until about 9.00 on the 18th .... Will then be down to the t1 team to cut me out of it  image   

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Can you get the zip done up?

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

I was at the Swashbuckler a couple of years ago and someone I knew literally exploded out of their wetsuit. (It's the only way I can describe it.) We gaffer taped round his middle to hold him in it. 

• Mouse - you'd think so eh? I know where it was the night of the flood in November, granted that doesn't help overly!

• What kind of bike box have you got ? , if ts a dhb I have a spare key , assuming they use a standard lock in all of them 

• M..o.use wrote (see)

I was at the Swashbuckler a couple of years ago and someone I knew literally exploded out of their wetsuit. (It's the only way I can describe it.) We gaffer taped round his middle to hold him in it. 

Packs 2 rolls of gaffer tape in case .... 

• Cupcake. wrote (see)

Today's question is: where will I find the key(s) to my bike box?

Cupcake. wrote (see)

Mouse - you'd think so eh? I know where it was the night of the flood in November, granted that doesn't help overly!

Then its down a drain ... have you got a magnet?

• I shall now spend a week worrying that I dont have a spare cassette to change to, I shall blame all of you when I die on the hills

In other news, just in case anyone was wondering what the Boy Barlos and his Burger Friend did time wise in 2007 'The year of the squealing pigs'
    16.24 for Barlos and 16.45 for Oxy

• M...eldy wrote (see)

I shall now spend a week worrying that I dont have a spare cassette to change to, I shall blame all of you when I die on the hills

In other news, just in case anyone was wondering what the Boy Barlos and his Burger Friend did time wise in 2007 'The year of the squealing pigs'
    16.24 for Barlos and 16.45 for Oxy

I have an extra 12-32 (10 speed) I can also bring if you want it. It is an SRAM Mbike/Road compatible. It does need you to extend the chain by at least 1 link though. Would that help?

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

About the cassette.  I've been thinking (and had a chat with someone who knows more about bikes than I do).  I'm going to pass on the 11-28 I think.  Whilst I'd like the extra teeth I'm a bit anxious about tinkering with the bike so close to race day and issues of cassette, chain, mech compatibility.  I know the extra teeth would be a benefit but I think I'm going to have to just suck it up.  I'm a bit nervous about having a mechanical problem I can't resolve.

• Mouse - what day do yuo arrive? As changing the cassette is a 5 min job and there's not much to go wrong (even I can do it!). I would suggest changing it as soon as you arrive - take the bike for a spin and if you're happy, all well and good. If not, change it back.

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

ok, we'll try it and see what happens.  I arrive on Weds.  Are you staying in pirate central Raf?  Would you be able to change it for me please?  (As I don't really know what to do but Slag said he can pack a chain whip for me.)

• Mouse, if you want the reassurance of sticking with what you have I dont think youll regret it, you had the gears to get round WHC and up that git of a hill towards the end, those gears will see you fine at Lanza.  There's nothing steep, the hardest bits will be the final push through the s-bends to the top of Haria, the steepish 10%ish climb to Mirador and the grind over the last 20 miles (while not steep is exposed gentle climbs) before you drop to PDC