Ladies advice pls - saddle cysts from biking

Hi

Ive got a bike related problem.  I am getting a cyst appear in my groin when i bike due to abrasion.  Its very sore and last for a round a week during which time I cant bike.  It then reappears the next time I bike.  My skin is fine, its under the skin that this cyst forms actually in my groin.

What can i do?  I wear padded shorts but they were fairly cheap.  Can anyone recommend some very padded ladies shorts or perhaps there is a saddle that stop this?  I was fine on my older bike which had a bigger wider saddle but recent bikes have tiny unforgiving saddles and they cause me problems.

Thanks

Comments

• ISA Adamo saddles. Take a look. And use chamois cream!

• Look at Assos shorts. Buttshield is brilliant, so is Crotchguard, be generous with it. If under the skin, I would consider GP...

• Consider changing your saddle to one the same as you've used previously without problems!!

• I have boing *the* most relevant thread -" How do you prevent a massacre in your lady garden "  image

hope it helps image

• IronbawsIronbaws ✭✭✭

I am on to my 9th saddle, and even forked out 175 quid on an adamo saddle but to no avail. Saddle sores can be a massive problem and I get mine in the same place. I found that they were worse the thicker the pad (so they got worse with my Assos shorts), and when I used the turbo (as you're pressing in the saddle more). Change your saddle immediately to the one that works for you, and always use chamois cream, even for short sessions. Assos is my favourite chamois cream. Invest in good quality cycling shorts (the Wiggle dhb women's range is great and the pad thick enough but not too much, and make sure they fit snugly so the pad does not move during cycling. If the pressure sore breaks the surface, stay off the bike and get to your GP immediately as it can lead to infection. I remember having to do a 4 hour training session on the recumbent bike due to a particularof nasty one.

• IronbawsIronbaws ✭✭✭

This is a particularly interesting article sent to me by Lee the Pea

http://www.cobbcycling.com/articles/Innie_Or_Outie

• Definitely don't use too much padding, it makes the problem worse - and go commando, no panties. Solved my problem.

• popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

Don't think there is a definitive answer, some combination of saddle, shorts, position on bike but what suits one may not suit another.    I know a lot of triathletes find proper cycling shorts too padded but a lot of people don't - it really is what suits and personal preference.  

Chamois cream is worth a go as mentioned and like Ironwolf commando is a deffo as shorts are not designed to have pants underneath.  

If they are one sided sometimes it indicates a slightly shorter leg and you are reaching more - you could try a thin insole in your shoe on that side If you feel that's possible. 

• Jen HartJen Hart ✭✭✭

Hello Tan, all good advice above, I find Campagnolo do very good cycling bottoms that are female specific in the padding. And definitely no knickers, the extra layer will cause chaffing. With regards to creams etc, I was at a sportive last October and Emma Pooley was special guest - she swore by Lanacane anti chafe cream when asked the question!

most importantly, are you set up correctly on your bike? Riding a little too high is a frequent cause of saddle sores for women. i also changed to a Selle Italia diva saddle which made a change initially as was more comfortable, although as more time out riding, it's not been too important as my second bike has a pretty standard Planet X seat on it, and so long as good tights and proper seat height addressed, dont have any problems.

• Hi Tan,

Can't you put your old saddle on your new bike?

Are your shorts chafing due to friction or bunching up? You may need a better fitting short.
  • Hi.  Thanks for the replies.  Ghost - My shorts are snug fit and dont bunch up at all, its literally that the top of my inner thigh rubs against the saddle and it must cause damage under the skin as a lump appears over the next 24h.

Im going to get some new short, chamois cream and go commando!

• I've had a similar problem and am on my 4th saddle - Selle SMP Dynamic (it's the first saddle that i've ever ridden that gives me thigh clearance.