Lance folds on drug charges

15678911»

Comments

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Lance Armstrong then. Without resorting to religion he made a pact with the devil.

Now its pay back time.

His name is mud. His credibility is shot.

The money and fame were acquired with illegal assistance from drugs.

He knew this, but justifies it.

If all his assets were acquired directly and indirectly by cheating will he be forced into bankruptcy?

If his acheivements were fraud will he be jailed? For fraud. After all, it is America and they are very keen on jailing their citizens.

🙂

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

Over the Col de Sarenne ?

I've skied down there!

• They were all at it until four or five years ago. So think the world has gone slightly mad in just taking him down, there are plenty of others who did it and only just stopped relatively speaking.  Hopefully the sport of cycling will be cleaner now. Most professional sports people are on the edge and looking for an edge. Is sleeping in an oxygen tent honest and honourable? Is living at altitude honest? Taking drugs is not right at all but guess its understandable that many if not most did it at one time to keep with the peleton and at least try to finish the race. The times are coming down rapidly for stages of LE Tour now and will continue to do so I believe if the sport is clean. Sky have gone looking for "incremental improvements" but there are only so many that can be made.
    Hope that Contandor doesn't ride in LE TOUR next year, that would not be right......

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Armstrong's long term demise won't be led by mere bystanders. It will be by anyone with teeth and a taste for revenge for having been taken in by 'the miracle', or made to look like a dork for doubting him.

Can't see him being able to just walk away with the trappings of success.

I wouldn't be surprised if individals are trying to clean him out. 

🙂

• "I wouldn't be surprised if individals are trying to clean him out"

I would suspect that it will be his ex-sponsors, and any corp that has paid him money under false pretenses that will be leading the charge.   a lot of his multi-millions are either going to be spent on defending himself, or paying out damages.  

if his lawyers and PR machine are savvy, they should get him to 'fess up soonest.   a book deal on his confessions would net him $millions and from that he can pay out on any defence case needed.   

this story ain't dead yet by any means

• Him posting a photo on Twitter apparently chilling out in a room surrounded by yellow jerseys from his seven (tainted) tour wins sugests Lance isn't feeling particualrly repentant just yet.

• AM - go back a page and see the post 3rd from the bottom....

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I'll be very surprised if he admits it now - he's spent too many years denying it.

• My bad - that's the problem when the thread opens on the last page & you only read the posts on that page image

• When the question of repayment of sponsorship came up on the radio they had a short interview with a lawyerly type who suggested it would be a long and hard road to get any money back.  You'll need to look at the individual contracts, which may well not be with LA personally but a limited liabilty management company, you'll then need to prove some degree of loss (at the time when they sponsored they presumably benefited).

The question of whether he gets 'done' for perjury is, however a different can of worms.

• I see that LA has now resigned as a director of the Livestrong charidee - http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/armstrong-resigns-from-livestrong-board-of-directors.   it won't make much difference as the Livestrong name is now as tainted as much as the Armstrong name  - I can't see the charity surviving in all honesty

• mcs - suggest you do a bit of research.  It's not the fact 'everyone was doing it' it's the way Lance did it and intimidated, bullied, coerced others etc, in order to perpetuate the myth which helped him earn a fortune, which helped him intimidate, bully, coerce etc. that makes him the target. What about the ones that didn't do it and consequently lost out on winnings or even getting a career in cycling?  And we're quite happy to compare drawing blood and re-infusing it with living up a mountain?  Maybe we could ban people if they have a VO2 figure above say 65?  BTW if they stopped 4 or 5 years ago you're saying we haven't had a problem since 2008 - despite LA's suspicious blood values in his comeback (2009) that offer only a 'one in a million chance' of being clean.  Have you not seen how many people have been popped recently despite the woefully ineffectual UCI at the helm? Cleaner yes.  Clean - nowhere near.  

SCA have given an ulitmatum to have the $7(?)million dollars win bonuses returned of they'll pursue it through the courts (they were the ones that challenged him a few years ago but lost on a contractual technicality of him 'being declared the winner' it was nothing to do with LA proving he was clean which was what his BS PR people put out there.).  Lance's lawyers have gone from 'you'll never get a cent out of us' to an initial offer. They wouldn't be making such a u-turn if they weren't worried. 

If Lance sings he's stuffed as he's up to his nuts in perjury and fraud.  He's trapped but TBH I doubt he's that bothered about confessing as he's very much in the mcs mindset of everyone was doing it, I never tested positive and it's history.

As you were. 

• Wilkie wrote (see)

I'll be very surprised if he admits it now - he's spent too many years denying it.

Everyone spends years denying it until they finally come clean though. Look at both Landis and Hamilton - they denied it to the point that there were public funds collected in order to fight their cases ("I Believe in Tyler" and "Fairness for Floyd", FFS!). I dont think time itself is the issue that prevents Lance fessing up. As CRAB says, the perjury charges are likely to present more of a barrier, but if he rolls on the UCI, there's a (small) chance he could (maybe) hammer out some sort of limited immunity...

As for the cash, I suspect he's been busy diverting funds elsewhere and all of a sudden SCA will find that Lance the man has almost nothing, while Lance the corporation has everything ring fenced.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Diverted cash. There's one way to stop criminal elements enjoying the fruits of their activities and that's simply to designate a standard of living for them. ie, if they're caught driving around in a Bentley then they lose it. No good saying it belongs to someone else. More fool them for lending it.

How thick skinned Armstrong is hard to tell, for sure. Could be a good act. Wonder what the chances are he'll top himself?

🙂

• I'm sure the book he is probably writing will tell all earn him all his money back.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Only if he adopts the position of regret and humility.

No doubt he's already told his PR department to go shove that idea up their arses.

🙂

• Couldn't Run A Bath wrote (see)

If Lance sings he's stuffed as he's up to his nut in perjury and fraud.  He's trapped but TBH I doubt he's that bothered about confessing as he's very much in the mcs mindset of everyone was doing it, I never tested positive and it's history.

;)

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Everything past is history. 

Just because something is in the past doesn't mean we can't be held to account for it.

Otherwise murderers would get off by saying what they did was in the past and therefore doesn't count.

Ok philosophy for a dog for which only 'now' applies. Not a human.

🙂

• RicF wrote (see)

How thick skinned Armstrong is hard to tell, for sure. Could be a good act. Wonder what the chances are he'll top himself?

An overdose ?

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Overdose! what with, he must be immune to anything by now.

🙂

• Indeed, my comment was meant to be ironic !

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Of course, I realise I was being a bit slow on the uptake.

🙂

• I thought it was funny anyway image

• I wonder if Lance-y boy and Senor Dettori have been doing some empathatic commiserating recently?

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Its Not about the Horse, then

🙂