Outlaw 2012 race reports

Comments

• The reason you haven't been invited is BECAUSE there are men (well GB???) in speedos image

• seren, if you don't mind sleeping on a wooden floor, you are more than welcome to come and stay and watch the silly men in speedos.

• Several dots short Mousey but I cant change my name since quite a few upgrades ago for some reason I keep getting the Red screen of death

• Seren... there is always half a bed spare at mine and you might just get to see the Speedo's before the swim image

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Maybe you need a number in brackets like what funkin has done? If you keep at it, it does eventually go through.  I managed to get my o dot through tonight after several days of trying.

I'm sorry, was that just an invite to stay at GB's house I saw?  Where are my car keys? image

• Mrs FunkinMrs Funkin ✭✭✭
    Seren, I was going to offer you our spare bed...but it seems you have a better offerimage
  • ...and you can help him write his report Seren!

• M..o.use wrote (see)

I'm sorry, was that just an invite to stay at GB's house I saw?  Where are my car keys? image

Dont you have a spare??   image

I have tried for years to change it and always the same

• GB I'm sure Seren can dig out a nurses outfit? Heard that was your thing?! image

• I think I fell slightly in love with the female paramedic last sunday image

Until she forced another bloody gel down my throat!!

• Cheerful Dave wrote (see)
    Slacko wrote (see)

Just an average swim and transitions would have got me a podium trophy. Winter focus has already been decided! image

I know what you mean - my swimming's improved but I'm still leaving myself with a lot to do.  I remember you passing me on the bike somewhere on the southern loop and I gave you a shout when I caught you back on the run.  5 minutes in T2 though - what were you doing? image

I reckon at least 2 of the 5 minutes in T2 were spent weeing. I went into the portaloo for a quick splash and dash but the splash turned into a never-ending torrent. Most frustrating! image

• M...eldy wrote (see)

Slacko .. do you swim at the same pool as Barlos?

Joddly do we get a report from you as well??  image

Well, I guess "swim" is loose description of what I do at the pool as my 1:19 split suggests.

But yes, we sometimes are down there at the same time. image

• I work in MK ..

Be afraid image
  •  

I have been suffering some of the same writing-CBA as my mates, but seeing as how I had a really great race, and have enjoyed reading some of the reports, I thought I ought to make some kind of vague effort. Apparently my race was “spectacularly uneventful”, but I think that’s supposed to be a compliment...

Pre race: Talked, ate, lounged around horizontally, corrupted previously rule-abiding Pirates, quite a lot of laughing, not too much wibbling, absolutely no sleep the night before. Ah well.

Swim: Mantra on repeat – “swim conservatively, don’t get involved in a punch-up”. Managed to find relatively clear water quite quickly. Drafted pretty much the whole way, most of the way up on the heels of someone with a helix wetsuit and blue Achilles tape. Every now and then, whoever this was would get annoyed at my constant toe-tickling, and swim off, but I generally managed to hunt him down again. After swimming for about a week, I noticed the distance marker on the lakeside (1250m, oh joy, nearly there). No point trying to sight and nothing to see anyway, so head down, concentrate on torturing Achilles-boy. Suddenly realised people were swimming at right angles to me, so hard right, 50m, hard right again, now just swim back. Started getting a headache as my goggles strap gouged into the back of my head, so spent most of the way back fantasising about taking off my goggles. Easily pleased, me.
    Swim time: 1:19:05

T1: Wetsuit strippers – superb! Into the tent behind Meldy, saw Holly too, dragged on the clothes I wanted, let’s get out of here. 4:10

Bike: ‘Kin ‘ell it’s a bit windy. Settled down, spin, spin, spin. Shouted at Pirates, get the heart rate under control, and then just do the job really. Food and drink went in, not much sweating, which I think is why I ended up having 3 wees, which is almost unheard of for me. Pleased to hold cougie off till about 60 miles (I think?) and had a few little chats with some other Pirates on the way. Cant really remember much about it now, but it was a good course, made much tougher by the wind. Don’t push for time, just ride your bike, stay in the moment, but remember you’ve got to run when you’re done with this! Pirate station was awesome, I loved the signs, they had me grinning for ages afterwards. The second half of the southern loop was a bit depressing, into the wind, especially as I knew the last bit back to HPP would also be, but I stayed happy, even when it hissed it down. Petal caught my bike, which was lovely too.
    Bike time: 6:27:19

T2: New pair of socks, what a treat. Number belt on upside down, oops, but very little faffing. 2:50

Run: Plan was to walk for 1 minute at each aid station. It’s hard to do this at the beginning, as you don’t feel you need to walk, but what I really wanted was to run even splits. Tried to acknowledge everyone, bantered a bit with the marshalls, egged on the crowd at the finish chute and generally had a really good time. Noticed at about halfway I had roughly 2 hours to do the 2nd half to sneak under the 12 hour marker, but this still isn’t the time to get excited about finish times. No more gels after 13miles, as I’d had enough, so switched to coke, kept up the same strategy, kept on ticking off the miles. Saw Melli with the lead bike, which was awesome, and then it was my final lap. Stuck with the conservative plan until 20miles, then ditched the walk breaks and dug in deep. Pacing and fuelling had gone well, a pinch of "damn right belligerence" should get the job done. Finishing into the wind was hard work, the last few kms hurt, but as a certifiably insane man said, "you don’t know if you don’t try".
    Run time: 4:04:51

Fini

• Oops...

Finish time: 11:58:17

Well happy with that.

• Good girl Flyaway. image

• Possibly the most boring report ever written, but at least I can cross it off my To Do list.

• Do you think so? I enjoyed it. But then I can read books again and again even when I know what happens. I just like a good read and a happy ending. image

Oh, but I think you've broken the forum. image

• Yes, but we all know about the things you can read, dont we? image

• I suppose I should get round to one image

• Outlaw 2012

Pre Race

Wasnt sure what to expect, as some know id raced IM Coeur D'Alene the previous Sunday, which if im honest I was pleased to get round in 16.16 and had found it a bit of a struggle. 

Swim

Meldy had been laying it down thick about her supposed swim god quailities, sub 7 400 meters in the pool (all I could hear was bla bla bla bla bla).  Anyway I decided id do my best to bear her into T1. 

I started at the front (pen 1) on the far left.  If youve not tried it, starting at the front on one side is the best place.  Looking up the lake I couldnt see a thing what with greasy goggles and the sun shinning in my face.  I was a bit worried about sighting to say the least.

Last seconds counted down and we were off, I tacked left to avoid trouble and soon found myself swimming along with the left bank 20 foot to my left.  Perfect for sighting and didnt even need to look ahead.  Whole swim was uneventful except for missing the turn (not by much thankfully).  Didnt have one contact for the whole swim image  Out of the water in 1:09:??

• Popped over from the radio to read Flyaway's report. I really enjoyed it. No gory bits to put people orf, funny bits to encourage those its not all about the bike or the swim or the run...its about the full package of fun.!! 

However well done on your time...excellent. !! image 

• I started a report last night with the intention of getting it done within a week of the race,  thought it should be like my Outlaw performance though.......longer than expected and one of the last ones home!image

• Aah but full of good humour and completed, so well worth posting Jaffa....do it...as you did it.!!!! image 

• T1, id wasted ages in T1 at Coeur D'Alene putting on arm warmers, compression socks and generally dealing with the massive IM transition.  I had a clear plan to put that right at Outlaw and was through in 5 mins or so.

Bike, I think this is what made the difference to my race, the course really suited me, not to many hills and the bits that were up are long drags, the sort of thing I quite like.  Id used my road bike at Coeur D'Alene as was cautious about my back and wanted to be comfortable, despite my back I was ok and had used my aero bars a lot.  For outlaw I changed my TT bike and it was great on the course, you really notice the difference at higher speeds on the flat and the many long gentle downhills.

Was being caught and overtaken by faster biking pirates throughout, which was nice.  Meli came past first, Chearful Dave, Me Face up Oxton Bank, held the rest off until the Southern loop then there was a constant stream, Mr Zuvai, Ferret, Pingu, Flyaway etc

I rode a pretty even pace throughout.  As usual I suffered a bit at the 70-80 mile point but had saved something in the tank to push through the last 20 miles or so, its great to start catching people up towards the end and gives you something to focus on other than how many miles are left.

Pirate feedstation was superb, id been looking forward to it all ride and didnt disappoint.  Was great to see everyone who'd come out to support us from the kindness of their hearts, thank you so much.

•  Mine was comig along quite nicely, really getting into it last night. Then the power went off!! image I'll try to finish it tonight! I promise!! image

• Continued...

So where was I,  6.42 bike done and was really happy to come into T2 with 8 hour on the clock.

T2, compression socks on and off I went.

Straight away I was uncomfortable, id hammered my legs and feet the week before with the run being all concrete, this didnt bode well as I could hardly walk let alone run.  As usual I set about walking the first half mile to get my eye in so to speak and was soon joined by chief sandbagger Symes, also a stream of pirates began to pass me so lots of cheers and encouragement were exchanged in both directions.

Took me most of the 1st lap to get going, but if anything things were getting worse, what saved my race were some painkillers from Oxy & donuts from cake, the latter was just what I needed yum yum yum.

Towards the end of the 3rd lap I was picking up pretty well and got into a better rhythem running longer sections etc.  Also teamed up with a few people who were on similar paces and we kind of paced off each other for a bit.  Muffin Top in particular was doing a superb job.

Saw so many people on the run my minds a bit of a blur but I do remember my mate Dustboy struggling towards the end of the out and back.  Breifly stopped to give him some encouragement under the tunnel but had no idea he was in such a bad way.  Gutted for you but youll be back (well at least after Mrs DB forgives the hospital call).

Enjoyed the run in and was steadily catching Saffers to unchick myself, more words of encouragement exchanged and we both had to push on to try and get under 14 hours.

Finished with the massive cheers of all the pirates ringing in my ears and my top supporter Schmunkee a little further down (the lengths she'll go to sneak in my finishers pic).

A truely fantastic weekend, believe it or not despite how many races ive done the thrill of competing with the pirates and crossing the line does not deminish.  Thank you all.

Most of all the extra impetus saw me finish 2 hours quicker than I did the week before.  This was partly due to an easier course but a lot to do with the support and pushing/competing with myself a little more.

See you all at another pirate trip soon.

Dont forget the pirate social on Friday if you can make it to London.

Oarsum.

• Nice one Coach!  You're an inspiration to begininers like me!  image