Outlaw 2013

Comments

• I reckon Florida might be flatter, but not many of the other courses will be so smooth.

PTL - yep, another local.  I've only been on the bike a few times this year so need to get some serious miles in before I can think about longer rides...

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

I know this won't make much sense at all but I felt like a LOT of Outlaw bike course was downhill and that's not really geographically possible!

It's certainly the flattest least hilly course of the ones of I've done - it's easier than Copenhagen, PSC.  However, it was windy as a windy person who lives in a windmill in Windmill Town when we did it this year which MORE than makes up for the lack of lumps.

I'm reliably informed that whilst it was very, very windy this year, it is rarely still on that bike course.

I also think it's much better organised that Challenge Copenhagen.  There are less frills in terms of absolutely no nice bag or gimmicky gift but you can buy a rucksack if you want one (I think around £20/£25) and we paid 330E for Copenhagen and £225 for Outlaw, so I'd rather save the £100.  The feedstations on both bike and run course were (in my opinion) better equiped that Copenhagen and possibly seemed more frequent to me (but that might have been my imagination).

I rated it very highly indeed.

• PSC ive done Florida which has a pan flat bike course, its zero incline except for one bridge you got over.  So youre in pretty much the same gear all ride which trashes the legs a lot more than having a few gentle undulations like at Outlaw which give you a chance to change gear and cadence a bit.  Even though Outlaw isnt hilly as such there are enough down hill bits you can spin out on and freewheel for a rest.

I didnt find it overly windy, sure there were some tough spells into the wind but I noticed the benefit in other sections of the course, at least the wind was fairly consistant and not blustering all over the place. 

• The Silent Assassin wrote (see)
    Schmunkee - The List Fairy wrote (see)
    Is this likely to be beat Henley for the number of pirates attending?

More chance of getting the orsum pirate feed station going again, or was the plan to move it to Henley?

Nicko. Hdau wrote (see)

Ian and his band of merry people have been good with us for the last few years since the 1st race.
    Just wondering as most will be doing Henley as the champs race, or Lanza!
    Are we still organising a posse for the feed station or just moving on?

Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)

I posted a reply on another thread yesterday, personally I would like to see the Pirate feedstation as an enduring aspect at Outlaw.  Its the biggest UK race and think it reflects well on us to give something back. 

I also think that by giving something to others we reap the benefits in the support you get as a pirate, ive been to races all over and had complete strangers shouting for me, that counts for a lot and I think the support we give to others (including the feedstation at Outlaw) reaps this payback.  Its also good fun image

Its early days yet but id imagine we'll need to canvass for support in the new year, I know a number of people have already said theyre keen to help.

Next year id like to make it even bigger and better, akin to one of the Ironman feestations you get on the continent, ive a few ideas up my sleave image

I also posted on this years Support Thread that we hope for The Pirate Feed Station to continue and although Barley and I are happy to organise it in the run up to the day, we would like to hand over responsibility of the day itself to others so that we may see Pirates and non-Pirates over the whole course as we have not so far been able to do so

• Thanks Mouse, the direct comparison between Copenhagen (which I loved) and outlaw (which sounds better) is really useful. Lol at the windier than a windy thing in a windmill.

BB I knew you had bagged Florida and remember you blogging about its flatness. image
  • The wind killed me ... Being the worst cyclist in the world
  • I think the wind was slightly stronger at our end of the bike course Will!  Well, that's my excuse!  image

• Deffo saved in my courses, no idea how to get it public though, it;'s not a logical system!

• So now the pirate champs 2013 is in Lanza ( meldy decides after all)

Where are we going in 2014?

Oh when's the 10 yr anniversary

And let's go to the states for that!!!!
  • Like OC asked, when is the 10 year anniversay? and do we go back to to the first place?

We might need a seperate thread

Mrs SA is currently torn between Outlaw and Henely and we are so sallow probably go with the masses, but we have made a comitment to follow the PSOF on the 10 year anniversary

Hmmm she could do both, hmmmm Jaffa has done both, wonders which he liked best

• mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭
    M..o.use wrote (see)

I'm reliably informed that whilst it was very, very windy this year, it is rarely still on that bike course.

I live along the outlaw course, and while I haven't really done any particularly long bike rides I can vouch that the area is not normally particularly windy. This year on the day of Outlaw it was very windy, but that is not normal for here at all.

• AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

I think as others have said the championships should stay as planned so Lanza and then Helney for people not wanting to travel.

Outlaw is it's own race and I suspect in time might become the pirate newbies race as thats another reason it's popular. It seems the cheapest easiest course for us newbies to try.

Flatter than flat bike with lots of wind = perfect for a Normal for Norfolk type such as myself image

• only one championship race I believe........so it looks like it will stay as Henly..........I'm happy with that.image...I am just pleased to have so many pirates doing my A race........i was just a bit worried as Henley doesn't seem to be having much activity or enthusiam.........maybe because its the old hands who are doing it...........image

i have done myu first brick session in a few years today............60 min bike 30 min run

• Schmunkee - The List Fairy wrote (see)
    2015 is the anniversary

Cool, i'll turn 40 that year (argggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg) and was planning my IM re-attempt then, most likely image  Need to work on all three sports first to get better then give it another go.

IM Cozumel looks ace image image 

I agree that this year's champs should be Lanza, as that waa decided ages ago. I guess it is just money and difficulty that are stopping the masses from going.

• At turn 40 at Outlaw next year! image

• Championship race should definitely not be Outlaw again. I'd be disappointed if it was Lanza as I can't go - it being in term time. image My plans are Outlaw and Henley (which I thought was going to be the pirate champs race) though I might do something else if hENLEY ISN'T GOING TO BE A BIG PIRATE TURNOUT

• oops, cba to edit that. 

• i think that it was pointed out that the championship race is not the biggest turn out but the one decided .......so you will be safe with Henley Melli...........i can see that it wouldn't be a good idea to be in the same place 2 years running..........the henley thread will probably pick up after this years race

• The PSOF Champs is Henley as per the thread title

Lanza is an optional extra  image

• lanza would be awesome! I need a different (or preferable, no, job). it can be windy but the roads are mainly silky smooth these days.

lanza-henley would seem to make a pretty good combo in terms of spacing for most.

• I'll be more careful next time - Henley is the Championship race....
    Lanza is the European shopping trip,

We can have special awards for the extended double (Lanza and Henley.....)
    So how about the triple as well..... (Outlaw as well anyone..?)

• Conpleately agrea with Barlist about the champianship race or it's going to get stale in teams of moving it forward and only aiming for this one next year because of this years f*ckup. Realistially if I can aford it might hopefully be able to do both Outlaw and Henley but will have to wait and see. Can't see any reason why we can't target a few jollies now given the number's supporting and racing.

• Lee the Pea wrote (see)
    2015 is the anniversary

Cool, i'll turn 40 that year

Iron Pingu wrote (see)

At turn 40 at Outlaw next year! image

I think you girls are having problems with your keyboards... you must have the 2 and the 4 buttons the wrong way around image

• M...eldy wrote (see)

Red Dog I think you need to email someone at RW these days ...the best way to attract their attention is probably to set fire to RW towers whilst stripping off and singing 'The HIlls are alive'

The lesser option which might take a bit longer to get noticed is just to report this thread to a moderator (there is a button below) and explain that you would like a piratey sign please    image

Oohh look at me I got the sign, thanks!!! image

• So its settled, Henley is PSOF championship next year, youve got to be in it to win it etc...  

Lanza and Outlaw will be obviously big pirate races to image

I like the idea of back to Europe for 2014, there is the new IM Sweden and ive heard there is the possibility of an Ironman in Italy?

2015 I also like the idea of USA, lots of good races there to choose from. 

• Red_dog_chris wrote (see)
    M...eldy wrote (see)

Red Dog I think you need to email someone at RW these days ...the best way to attract their attention is probably to set fire to RW towers whilst stripping off and singing 'The HIlls are alive'

The lesser option which might take a bit longer to get noticed is just to report this thread to a moderator (there is a button below) and explain that you would like a piratey sign please    image

Oohh look at me I got the sign, thanks!!! image

• Not wanting to hijack the thread completey but as the anniversary is in 2015 am I right in thinking that 2005 was IMCH

• Golden Boots wrote (see)
    Lee the Pea wrote (see)
    2015 is the anniversary

Cool, i'll turn 40 that year

Iron Pingu wrote (see)

At turn 40 at Outlaw next year! image

I think you girls are having problems with your keyboards... you must have the 2 and the 4 buttons the wrong way around image

Aw, you smoothy you.  If you're saying we look like we're 24, you'll get a big smooch; if you're saying we look 42, you'll get a punch.  I would imagine either scenario will have you running a mile...or should I say limping  image hehehehe

Oops I was wrong about champs being Lanza image Duly noted! image

• i thought he was saying you look 20...............

Sa yes IMCH was 2005 and then again 2009....so maybe 3rd time lucky for 2015......